Workout check-in thread: You October-y Lifting Heavy!

Options

Replies

• ketoandbarbell
    ketoandbarbell Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    Awesome job spirit095!!

Can't wait till I'm pulling your numbers llamapants86!

Squat 5@70,90,110,125 3@145(PR) 10@105
    Bench 5@45,55,65,75 3@85 10@75
    Row 5@50,65,75,90 3@100 8@90

Goblet squat 35 3x8
    Good morning 75 3x10
    Barbell curl 45 3x6
    Bench dip 1x8
    Weighted Bench dip 10 2x8
    Dumbbell 2 arm tricep 20 3x6
    Seated band abduction 2x20
    Feet/shoulder elevated hip thrust 3x30

Love lifting!
  • marylynndrake
    marylynndrake Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    Today I got back to it after being sick a few days this week. Working on deep as I can go squats. I figure deeper is harder and therefore better. This seems confirmed by the videos, as long as form is good. I had a lot of aching in my hips, could've been the virus I had or maybe it was leftover from lifting, anyway I decided to deload a bit and work on deep deep squats. It was hard work! After warmup stretching and lifting I did 5x5 of 130. Bench was so good today- warmup lifts then 3x5 of 65, 3x5 of 70, 1x5 of 75. Rows were last and hard. I warmed up then did 60 5x5 and was ready to call the day. But I stretched and jogged home. Had lots of energy today, which was much needed! Have a great weekend everyone!
  • threnjen
    threnjen Posts: 687 Member
    edited October 2014
    Options
    bunch of stuff re: hips

thank you! That was helpful. I'll have to try some different foot placement and look into it further if I can't resolve it.
    You nailed the spot too - "seam of undies" is right on. I couldn't think of a good way to describe it.

Keep kicking *kitten* ladies. Hoping to get in tomorrow, but it's my kid's birthday party so we'll see how it goes. Not going to beat myself up if it doesn't happen.
  • logg1e
    logg1e Posts: 1,208 Member
    Options
    I really appreciate reading everyone's posts, newbies and old-hands alike. I learn so much from you all.

Due to a bit of illness/run-down-ness this is only my second lift this week.

Squats 5x5 at 90lbs again.
    Bench 5x5 at 51lb again.
    Rows 5x5 at 57lb again.

Could tell I'm not at full strength as the first two exercises weren't easy. Rows were though, so I think I'll go up next time.

I have never seen any of the other lifters do Barbell rows. They do the stood-up ones, but not the bent over ones we do on SL.
  • justmytype
    justmytype Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    Not much exciting today with lifts:
    Squats: 5x5 @ 105 lbs. again. Going well so will move up next time. (Did I say that last time? Oh well)
    OHP: 5x5 @ 55 lbs. again. Did so well with 55 that I did one set with 60 lbs. and was arching back by the last rep :( Dang OHP!
    DL: 1x5 @ 140 lbs.

Have a great weekend, lifting ladies!
  • canadianlbs
    canadianlbs Posts: 5,199 Member
    Options
    massage97 wrote: »
    i got OHP 5@ 45,50,55 and 6 @ 60. Finally!! So excited.

gosh, ohp . . . how we work for even the tiniest gain on that one ;-) 60 looks massive to me. wtg.

• krokador
    krokador Posts: 1,794 Member
    Options
    Hehe, well if anyone is looking for a crazy workout I have a real good one for you today =D

Started with squats, week of 3s
    122.5x3
    140x3
    157.5x7
    125x12

I've been having a hard time with squats and today was no different. I think I might be doing a little too much with the rest of my workouts to really stand a chance to progress on this one. But my deadlift is shooting up so as long as I don't actually LOSE strength here? I'll try to be happy. And I also bit the bullet and added the first set last again - I had the time and I really do better with more volume on squats otherwise my form goes down the crapper...

Moved on to EMOTM x6 of double KB manchild (it's a power squat clean thruster). 25lbs x 3 per minute, 4 the last 2 minutes

Then a 6 min AMRAP set of
    - Pike press 3-6 on 12' box
    - KB Goblet drop lunge 6/leg (still with the 25lbs KB)

managed 5 rounds and 3 pike presses

And then the icing on the cake, the finisher of finishers... I don't usually want to give up before I'm done but this one made me consider (and I actually skipped some reps)

For time - EMOTM x 10 max
    - sitouts x 10
    - 1 arm KB power snatch R.A.T.

work up to 50 snatches per arm

I finished in 9:53, and that's with skipping, like i said, 2 rounds of sitouts in order to catch my breath. 25lbs KB again (I'm glad I figured out my gym has those. I thought it was 2 sets of 30s! lol) My goal for my next run through is to finish without skipping sitouts.

This was the finisher from hell v2.0! (After the death by burpees, lol!)

Everyone is doing great, btw! I have lots to do today so I was just stopping by to report,but I hope you all have a great weekend lifting =D
  • psych101
    psych101 Posts: 1,842 Member
    Options
    Worked out fasted for the first time in ages and actually felt better than i have in a long time! Weird!

Squat 5x5 @ 140lbs
    Bench 5x5 @ 77lbs
    Row 5x5 @ 77 lbs

Come into the lounge this morning to my 2 year old foam rolling his quads - cutest thing ever!
  • ketoandbarbell
    Options
    psych101 wrote: »

Come into the lounge this morning to my 2 year old foam rolling his quads - cutest thing ever!
    How cute! Haha. Mine will just sit on it and roll on his butt.
    I think we are getting our lil guy a play weight set for Christmas. Or at least I want to get him one.
  • canadianlbs
    canadianlbs Posts: 5,199 Member
    edited October 2014
    Options
    ohp ohp, you're a horrible tease
    you bemuse and confuse me right down to my knees
    some days i press sixty, some days i press three
    you know these days i think you're just messing with me.

ohp ohp, won't you let me know when
    i'll get that bar overhead without hitting my chin
    without bending my back, without getting all mad
    some days i'm all badass, some days i'm just . . . bad.

workout b:

squats: 3x5@45, 1x5@65, 2x5@85, 3x5@75. i'm just going to call this one 75. i was just stiff all over and my glutes are still sulking from two days ago. i did manage 3 sets at 85, but the last set was so ugly it just shouldn't count. i came down to 75 so i'd be able to squat with good form.

ohp: 6x6@45. not nearly as bad as the song made it sound. i'm technically at 50 based on my last good ohp session, but i stayed at 45 - again, because i liked my form so much at that weight - and added sets/reps instead. last time i did 6x6, 7x7, 8x8, moving up by 5 pounds was much easier so i may try that again.

deadlifts: a bit strange. i kind of lost track of how many i did at the different weights, but i did do a lot of warmups and work my way up slowly. i think 4 at 65, 2 at 115, and i think maybe 3 or 5 at 125. then i came back much later and did 3 or 5 or something at a working weight of 130 again. and i mean 'later on'. the workout heroes where there in the gym and it was squat day in their world. i'm not exaggerating with this: between the two of them they had EVERY SINGLE 45 plate in the whole gym tied up, either on the squat bar or on the leg press machine. for more than an hour. the whole place pretty much stopped what they were doing and stood around watching them . . . not too much choice since there wasn't much left in the way of equipment for anyone else. i was narked tbh. anyway, my later experience was 5x1@130, which is still harder than i would like. and i put on another 5 pounds and did 3 reps just to say i'm still above bodyweight, but the third rep was so terribly ugly as far as technique that a) i don't count it and b) i quit there.

made up the ohp ode in the grocery store afterwards. i would have done better on this workout if i had rested for two days instead of just one, but oh well.
  • TravelsWithHuckleberry
    Options
    Just finished catching up on all the posts, and you women are freaking awesome! I'm impressed and envious (in a good way) and grateful and inspired and thrilled every time I check in here. SO MUCH GOOD!

Not feeling well today, so this will be shorter than usual. I'm sure you're all devastated to not know every thought in my brain for once. :)

From Friday -- Workout A

Squats - 5x5 @ 85 lbs.
    - Felt these in my left leg adductor, and not in a good way. Need to do some experimenting to see what I can do to alleviate that.
    - Trying to focus on using hamstrings and glutes on the press, but it's harder than one would think to figure out if I'm actually engaging or not.

Bench Press - 5x5 @ 75 lbs.
    - The last few were sheer willpower. Didn't want to have to do the roll of shame.
    - Will probably stay here next time if I'm flying solo. If I have a spotter, I'll go up 2.5 lbs.

Rows - 5x5 @ 75 lbs.
    - Tried 85 lbs., but they just weren't working, so dropped down. Still nice and heavy, but cleaner movements. Will probably stay here if my next BP day is solo.

As many of you know, things have been off for me this week, so tomorrow will be my third workout for the week, then back to T/Th/Sa + rock climbing.

xo,
    C.

PS - Canadian, you're hilarious.

PS 2 -- I love that other people are terrified by Krok's workouts. I thought I was the only one. :)
  • TravelsWithHuckleberry
    TravelsWithHuckleberry Posts: 955 Member
    edited October 2014
    Options
    So, I know I just said this, but just in case you missed it...

YOU LADIES ARE SERIOUSLY MY FAVORITES!

xo,
    C.
  • psych101
    psych101 Posts: 1,842 Member
    Options

I think we are getting our lil guy a play weight set for Christmas. Or at least I want to get him one.

Oh my god!! Does such a thing exist?!
  • ketoandbarbell
    edited October 2014
    Options

Oh my god!! Does such a thing exist?!

Yes!! I saw a video of a lil kid doing a DL and had to look.

http://m.toysrus.com/skava/static/product.html?type=TRU_product_us&url=/product/index.jsp?productId=3520338&domain=http://www.toysrus.com
  • krokador
    krokador Posts: 1,794 Member
    Options
    Whew, Bench Press day! Gotta love it!

90x3
    105x3
    117.5x5
    95x12 (lazy plate switching at work here again ;P)

Had 2 sets of every 20s for 3 minutes
    - 2 vertical jumps from seated position
    - 2 step broad jumps

Funky little complex of 1 side at a time with a 25lbs KB:
    - KB power clean x5
    - KB push press x10
    - split squat x15 (partially weighted. 3, 8, 15 reps, rest bodyweight)

And 10, 8, 6, 4, 2 for time of
    - alt. shoulder clap push-ups
    - recline rows
    - KB american swing (40lbs)

Also, does squatting for 10 minutes trying to figure out the air compressor thing to inflate my car tires count as stretching? lol

Those toy weight sets look adorable! Although I feel that's a little overpriced for a foam construction lol. When I have kids maybe I'll craft one up myself ;P
  • TravelsWithHuckleberry
    TravelsWithHuckleberry Posts: 955 Member
    edited October 2014
    Options
    StrongLifts 5x5 / Workout B

Man, this was hard today! I don't think I'm back to 100% after spending all day yesterday sick and in bed. Apparently a handful of pretzels over the course of a day isn't enough to fuel a good workout. I had breakfast this AM, but still probably not enough. (Read some inane thread yesterday about a woman's issues with choice of restaurant and now all I want is Thai food.)

I finally did a hips routine and my squats felt better out of the gate, but I have a lot of work to do in this area. I was looking at some examples online and was nowhere near doing the full range on any of these. But little by little!

Squats -- 5x5 @ 90 lbs.
    - The weight felt heavy in a totally different way today. Not bad, but just noticeable. Form did get a little sloppy in the final set, but nothing I'm overly worried about.
    - I've been trying to make sure I'm not overusing my quads and adductors on these, and found that concentrating on really pushing through my heels helped a lot (rather than trying to focus on my glutes or hamstrings, since I have a hard time "feeling" those during the movement).
    - Left adductor is super tender. Need to be careful here moving forward. I experimented with my foot placement, turning out less, to see if that helped, but it made the rest of my form feel totally awkward. Anyone have suggestions on other ways to take the adductor out of this lift?

Overhead Press -- 5x5 @ 40 lbs.
    - I find that my third set usually feels the strongest. Wonder what that's about?
    - Good form on almost every rep, so very pleased with that.
    - Wasn't sure I was going to make the last two reps, but muscled them up and got 'em done. Will stay here one or two more times before moving to the barbell. Yay!

Deadlifts -- 1x5 @ 140 lbs.
    - So, I've done 140 lbs. once before but these felt IMMENSE today. Just really, really heavy.
    - Form was definitely off today. Even though I was really concentrating on pushing, I definitely pulled a lot more than I would have liked. I am TERRIFIED of wrenching my lower back, so this just got my head all a-tizzy.
    - I thought about unloading the bar and doing another set at a much lower weight, but decided to just call it a day.
    - Not my best deadlift day. Bah! :(

Looking forward to things slowing down a bit and getting back to my T/Th/Sa routine. I think the regular schedule and consistency will help.

Hope you're all having a great weekend!

xo,
    C.
  • coltsgirl311
    coltsgirl311 Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    I missed my Friday check-in, so you get double from me today! :wink:

Friday:
    Workout A
    Squats 5x5 @ 90 lbs (again). I'm staying with 90 until after my HM next weekend.
    Bench 5x5 @ 60 lbs. Not too much problem with this weight; will probably move up to 65 lbs next time if I can get the squat rack and use the safety bars as a "spotter".
    Rows 5x5 @ 60 lbs. Ugh, still not comfortable at this weight so will repeat next time.

Monday:
    Workout B
    Squat 5x5 @ 90 lbs. I tweaked my inner thigh on my left leg on the first set after warmup sets, but after I adjusted my foot position a bit, I didn't feel the same issue again.
    OHP 5x5 @ 50 lbs. Last time 50 lbs almost felt easy, but I struggled with this weight today. I'll stick here for a while.
    Deadlift 2x5 @ 95 lbs. This is a repeat weight but I was really trying to work on form and avoid so much pulling. I think I did a pretty good job. :smile:
  • danirosevoelkel
    danirosevoelkel Posts: 511 Member
    Options
    I made it to the gym for Workout B! And this time I didn't quite feel as out of place

Squats 0@45 lbs, the bar glued my body to the floor, luckily hubby picked it up off me
    4x5 @ 20 lbs, I was so happy to find this bar. Oh and I put a bench behind me so I knew how far to go down. A tip from another lifter and it helped so much

OHP 1x5 @ 45lbs 1x2 @ 45lbs, just wanted to see if I could do it, I could but barely, then I had to change bars
    2x5 @ 35lbs, I found what I believe to be the females Olympic bar 35lbs.
    1x2 @ 45lbs And then i wanted to finish strong with the 45 lb bar again.

Deadlift 1x5 @ 65lbs. I don't think I did this right at all. I still lifted with my legs, but my form was off. I think it needs to have plates stacked beneath it for my more height.

All in all, I'm satisfied with my lifts, definitely feel it EVERYWHERE, the backs of my thighs the most. Excited for another day!
  • meglo91
    meglo91 Posts: 65 Member
    edited October 2014
    Options
    Today was a Workout B day.
    So:
    Squats -- warmups 1x10 @ 45, then 5x5 @ 85.
    OHP - warmups 2x10 @ 45, then 5x5@55.
    Deadlift - warmups 1x10 @ 40, 1x10 @70 lbs, then 5x5 @ 100.

It all still felt too easy, though I can tell that I will soon hit the wall on OHPs. With those muscles you can feel golden at one weight, but adding five pounds makes them next to impossible.

Afterward I did about 15 minutes of HIIT on the treadmill. I'll probably quit doing cardio after working out once I start maxing out the weights more. Stoked for adding more weight to squats this week! Can't wait to get up into the 100s.
  • symba1130
    symba1130 Posts: 248 Member
    Options
    Checking in from over the weekend.
    Completed workout B on Sunday morning, I skipped Saturday (was up with the baby and my 4.5yo and was dragging *kitten* so I bailed on the gym :-1: )

Showed up to the gym yesterday about 9:45 AM. Usually I am there around 530AM. Both squat racks were full...uuuggg! So I sat down and adjusted my arm band for a few minutes stalking the racks and one guy left. YEAH!

Squats
    Warm up + 5x5 @ 90
    - I felt amazing about this! My initial goal is to squat 100lbs by my bday which is in 35 days. I can totally do this!

OHP
    Warm up + 5x5 @ 50

DL
    1x5 @ 95, 1x3 @ 110, 1x5 @ 120
    - These felt really good. Still working on form so by lower back doesn't freak out. I also got a new pair of gloves and these seemed to help my grip. I did overhand for 95lbs but mixed grip for 110lbs and 120lbs.
    - There was a guy next to me doing DL and I was counting his plates. He was doing 315lbs when I started watching. IT WAS AMAZING! I wanted to ask him for tips. HA! He took really longs rests and then would add another 5-10 lbs per side and do another set of 3-5. I was just in AWE!