Workout check-in thread: You October-y Lifting Heavy!

Options
krokador
krokador Posts: 1,794 Member
You oughta be lifting heavy? Anyone? No? Fine, I'l head to my corner xD

Today was Bench press 5/3/1+ and it was a sleepy... 5.5 hours of sleep. I think I'll trade in OHP and Bench so I can Bench on the weekends. I don't care about OHP that much xD

95x5
107.5x3
120x4
95x12

Moved on to 40/20intervals, 3 rounds of
- KB sumo deadlift high pull @40lbs
- TRX pull-up (sitting on the floor, helping myself with my heels)
- right drop lunge
- left drop lunge (need to add weight to the lunges. I got to 20 on the last set lol)
- pike presses

and then 5 rounds of tabatas
- KB swing @ 20kg (that's 44lbs... so weird a weight)
- mountain climbers

and finished with some wide grip lat pulldowns
125x3x5

felt like i was gonna pass out on that last rep so I called it in. Whew! My butt feels bruised its still so sore from Monday's stuff xD Squats shall be fun tomorrow (if I get some sleep. Damn video games! lol)

Replies

• katro111
    katro111 Posts: 632 Member
    Options
    Ugh, another not so great workout this morning. Deloaded squats and DL were fine, but couldn't get my head in the game for OHP.

Squats - 5x85, 5x105, 5x125, 5x125

OHP - 5x47.5, 5x57.5, 5x65, 4x75 could not get that 5th rep which is ridiculous because I've done more reps with higher weight before. Bah, whatever. I'll get you next time OHP.

DL - 5x105, 5x125, 5x147.5, 5x167.5

Off topic, but pretty much the reason why my last two workouts haven't been as awesome as I'd hoped:
    This whole idea of having a baby in the next few years is doing my head in. While I'm not opposed to having ONE, I'm not anywhere near ready right now and I have serious doubts about my husband's readiness to participate in being a parent. I love the guy, don't get me wrong, but I knew pretty early on that he isn't what I would consider father material, ya know? We agreed early on that we didn't want children, but now that he's approaching his mid 30s and I'm approaching 30, he's reconsidering. Nice, but when I expressed my concerns that I thought he'd be an absent parent, I'd be doing all the work, etc. he agreed that that's what would probably happen because that's how he was raised (his parents are very old fashioned - the man is the king and whatever he says goes while the woman busts her *kitten* to pump out babies, take care of them, take care of the house and also have a job). That's the complete opposite of how I was raised (dad worked during the day, but when he got home, he split everything with my mom 50/50 and she didn't have an outside job). Yeah... ummm, NO. Married single mom does not compute. Plus, my husband clearly has "man tact" and started this conversation with, "Well, you're almost 30 and you're not getting any younger so your window for having a baby at a reasonable age is already starting to close. BUT I'm not getting any younger either... blah blah blah." Ouch. Rage kind of made me go deaf at that point, lol.
  • symba1130
    symba1130 Posts: 248 Member
    Options
    Off topic, but pretty much the reason why my last two workouts haven't been as awesome as I'd hoped:
    This whole idea of having a baby in the next few years is doing my head in. While I'm not opposed to having ONE, I'm not anywhere near ready right now and I have serious doubts about my husband's readiness to participate in being a parent. I love the guy, don't get me wrong, but I knew pretty early on that he isn't what I would consider father material, ya know? We agreed early on that we didn't want children, but now that he's approaching his mid 30s and I'm approaching 30, he's reconsidering. Nice, but when I expressed my concerns that I thought he'd be an absent parent, I'd be doing all the work, etc. he agreed that that's what would probably happen because that's how he was raised (his parents are very old fashioned - the man is the king and whatever he says goes while the woman busts her *kitten* to pump out babies, take care of them, take care of the house and also have a job). That's the complete opposite of how I was raised (dad worked during the day, but when he got home, he split everything with my mom 50/50 and she didn't have an outside job). Yeah... ummm, NO. Married single mom does not compute. Plus, my husband clearly has "man tact" and started this conversation with, "Well, you're almost 30 and you're not getting any younger so your window for having a baby at a reasonable age is already starting to close. BUT I'm not getting any younger either... blah blah blah." Ouch. Rage kind of made me go deaf at that point, lol.

I don't know that I have any good advise for you on this, but I say trust your gut!

My husband and I wanted 2 kids, after baby #1 was born and he stayed home with her screaming at him all day a few days a week (this was for about 6mths), he changed his mind and said only one kid afterall. I was CRUSHED. I have been planning 2 babies since I was a little girl. All my friends and family tried to convince me to not take the pill, etc, and oops, just get preggo, but the idea of having 2 babies and no daddy around didn't sound good either. I love my husband and I know he loves his kids, but if I had deceived him that way I wouldn't have put it past him to leave me. (and to be honest, if I was the man I would feel the same way). SOOO... I agreed, we were only going to have 1 child and I finally was ok with it after about a year.
    Fast forward another 18 months and HE decided he wanted #2, I took some time to think about it as I don't deal with change real well and now we have 2 healthy happy girls. And PS he is a stay at home dad full time!

I guess the point is, you never know what can happen in the future, he could be AMAZING, but I think you should trust your instincts as after a child is born you cant take it back. And as you said, being a married single mom doesn't compute.
  • canadianlbs
    canadianlbs Posts: 5,199 Member
    Options
    wide grip lat pulldowns
    125x3x5

*faints*. i've been trying for half an hour to think up some kind of octobery pun, but it just hasn't worked so go you.
  • canadianlbs
    Options
    Rage kind of made me go deaf at that point, lol.

lol. i'd be thinking 'oh **** off' myself. that really is a tough one; i hope it works out.
  • katro111
    Options

*faints*. i've been trying for half an hour to think up some kind of octobery pun, but it just hasn't worked so go you.

Haha, me too! All I could come up with was something with "Shocktober" in it and that's just been done to death so I gave up.
  • Savlona
    Savlona Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    Nice pun ;)
    Squats - just the bar again so 44lb 5x5.
    My form still isn't right - I really struggle to get low and I seem uneven - the bar slides to one side and my shoulder hurts on that side.. One of the staff at the gym has suggested I use the smith machine to build a bit of strength and confidence on the form, then go back to the freeweights. I don't know whether to follow that advice or try goblet squats with a lighter kettlebell or just bodyweight squats.
    I'm considering bodyweight squats to warm up, then using the smith machine, aiming to move back to the bar. All advice welcome :)

Then chest press 27.5lb 5x5
    Then barbell rows 38.5lb 5x5
  • ketoandbarbell
    ketoandbarbell Posts: 189 Member
    Options

When i met my husband I had 2 kids already, 1 boy, 1 girl. I was done, he was good with that even though he didn't have any of his own. Fast forward 3 yrs of marriage. We get into a HUGE fight over what I dont even remember. When he is mad he text fights. I don't know why. anywho.. He said im not going to my appt on friday (vasectomy) I said why not? I want a baby! :noway: What?!?!? I didn't speak to him for 2 days, while i thought... ALOT! All of his family was surprised that he wanted one. More like shocked! :laugh: I thought great I am going to be a single mom to 3 kids plus this adult kid. But he is the best daddy i could ask for to our little guy. They have time together every day when i work and even some after to give me some time to myself. I really didn't think he would be like this, he always said he doesn't do spit up or diapers and well he did them.. more than he would like.. but he did it. Sorry was so long but just give it some time and you two need to talk about it. Tell him your concerns and tell each other what you would expect, need from each other, if/when it does happen. Good luck!
  • rrabe78
    rrabe78 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I finally broke 500 today!!

Sq- 195 3*5
    Bp- 105 3*5
    DL- 205 3*2 :( I was supposed to do 1*4 and 1*2 today)

then finished up with 70lbs farmer walk (2* 1/12 of a mile) and lat pull downs 100 3*5
  • Drunkadelic
    Drunkadelic Posts: 948 Member
    Options
    It's been awhile since I've posted but I had a superb day in the gym :) Doubled up DL and bench. 3/3/3+ day.

DL: 105x3, 120x3, 135x10
    Bench: 65x3, 70x3, 80x15 (oops?)

Straight Leg DL: 75x10x3
    Walking lunges with 20lb dumbbells
    Hip Thrusters: 45x10x3

My bum hurts :)
  • ChoiceNotChance
    ChoiceNotChance Posts: 644 Member
    Options
    I haven't checked in here in quite a while, and I'm still progressing REALLY slowly, but hey, that's OK. I'm still at it.

Squat: 90# 5x5- still really conscious of form- my right knee "wobbles" coming up.

OHP 50# 3x5, 45# 2x5. Trying to not bend my knees and thrust my hips.

DL 125# 1x5. Goal is to DL my body weight (135) in the near future. :drinker:
  • canadianlbs
    Options
    My form still isn't right - I really struggle to get low and I seem uneven - the bar slides to one side and my shoulder hurts on that side..

just a thought . . . i kind of swivel left too unless i pay strict attention to it, and i think the main cause is glute strength imbalance. it's gotten better since i started making sure i don't let my left leg cheat, and i think that piriformis stretching pre-squats helped as well. sometimes you do that and you're stunned to find how much tighter you are on one side, compared with the other.

the other advice that i found useful for symmetry was to really concentrate on squeezing the glutes at the same time as you take your big breath and lock your core. if you do have any imbalances going on in that area, this kind of forces you to get your hips level before you go into the squat.

and yeah. once i start tipping, it does have a ripple-up effect into my shoulder and all on that side.
  • marylynndrake
    marylynndrake Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    Yesterday squats 65, 3x12, bench 40, 5x5, barbell rows 40#5x5. 2nd of 3 workouts this week!
  • Savlona
    Savlona Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    My form still isn't right - I really struggle to get low and I seem uneven - the bar slides to one side and my shoulder hurts on that side..

just a thought . . . i kind of swivel left too unless i pay strict attention to it, and i think the main cause is glute strength imbalance. it's gotten better since i started making sure i don't let my left leg cheat, and i think that piriformis stretching pre-squats helped as well. sometimes you do that and you're stunned to find how much tighter you are on one side, compared with the other.

the other advice that i found useful for symmetry was to really concentrate on squeezing the glutes at the same time as you take your big breath and lock your core. if you do have any imbalances going on in that area, this kind of forces you to get your hips level before you go into the squat.

and yeah. once i start tipping, it does have a ripple-up effect into my shoulder and all on that side.

Thanks for the tips - there might well be an imbalance issue as I have a dodgy left knee. I'll try that stretch out.
  • katro111
    Options
    When i met my husband I had 2 kids already, 1 boy, 1 girl. I was done, he was good with that even though he didn't have any of his own. Fast forward 3 yrs of marriage. We get into a HUGE fight over what I dont even remember. When he is mad he text fights. I don't know why. anywho.. He said im not going to my appt on friday (vasectomy) I said why not? I want a baby! :noway: What?!?!? I didn't speak to him for 2 days, while i thought... ALOT! All of his family was surprised that he wanted one. More like shocked! :laugh: I thought great I am going to be a single mom to 3 kids plus this adult kid. But he is the best daddy i could ask for to our little guy. They have time together every day when i work and even some after to give me some time to myself. I really didn't think he would be like this, he always said he doesn't do spit up or diapers and well he did them.. more than he would like.. but he did it. Sorry was so long but just give it some time and you two need to talk about it. Tell him your concerns and tell each other what you would expect, need from each other, if/when it does happen. Good luck!

Thanks! Hearing this does make me feel better. Still terrified at the thought of being a parent (responsibility pffffft lol), but I think my mind is a little more at ease.
  • Chaskavitch
    Chaskavitch Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    I did pretty well on Tuesday. Finally got through 65# 5x5 on OHP, did 145# 5x5 on squats, 155# 1x5 for DL.

I think I probably need to eat more after deadlift day, though, because I was absolutely STARVING all day Wednesday (and I'm still pretty hungry, lol). I added an extra 2x10 warmup to DL on Tuesday, so I did a ton of squats/DL.

Squats - 2x10 @ 45, 2x10 @ 85, 2x10 @ 115, 5x5 @ 145
    DL - 2x10 @ 65, 2x10 @ 115, 2x10 @ 145, 1x5 @ 155

When I'm doing them, I love them, and I really enjoy doing that much volume/weight, but maybe it's a bit of overkill. I'm not super sore or anything, though, which is nice.
  • krokador
    krokador Posts: 1,794 Member
    Options
    Woo! Squats 5/3/1 were this morning! And Oh Em Gee, today was a cooker!

127.5x5
    145x3
    162.5x8 - that last rep was a MAJOR grinder. It was UGLY. But I'm pretty sure I hit depth! And my knees did not cave in.
    127.5x13

Realized doing these I either do not setup quite symmetrical, or I have a left arm that's somewhat shorter than the right (because using the rings on the bar my hands are at the same width, but it always shifts a bit to the left once I'm up and out of the rack... So its either that or I can't center myself right lol) And then I noticed I use my right leg a good bit more, probably to offset that, which would explain the knee hurtin'. I think a video from the back with a lighter weight is in order just to try and figure out exactly where it all goes south.

Then moved on to 8 min AMRAP of
    - step vertical jump x3 / leg
    - KB assisted offset push-ups x5 / arm
    - KB 1 arm row x 10
    With a 30lbs KB. Managed 4 rounds and 5 rows, finished up that round to even it out. Wasn't jumping very high at the end, nor were those push-ups easy in any way. It's meant as a one-arm push-up progression soooo... Also had sweat dripping down my nose during this. Yikes!

Finished up with this "iron to body" 30/15 interval set-up
    - KB Goblet squat
    - BW squat
    - KB floor press
    - push-up
    - KB double bent over row
    - TRX row
    - 45s rest

Let's just say, those 15 seconds of body weight work did not result in many reps! lol. This was pure (evil) genius. So glad it's over! haha
  • justmytype
    justmytype Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    My form still isn't right - I really struggle to get low and I seem uneven - the bar slides to one side and my shoulder hurts on that side.. One of the staff at the gym has suggested I use the smith machine to build a bit of strength and confidence on the form, then go back to the freeweights. I don't know whether to follow that advice or try goblet squats with a lighter kettlebell or just bodyweight squats.
    I'm considering bodyweight squats to warm up, then using the smith machine, aiming to move back to the bar. All advice welcome :)

I have found that doing a lot of stretching before squats helps me tremendously. I squat down with just body weight as far as I can go, sit there and stretch the knees out to the side while in the squat. After a few of those I can get to just a few inches above the floor. Back and hip stretches also help. Flexibility seems to be an issue I'm dealing with as I get older :frown: I've also decided to stay at a weight until I really feel comfortable with that weight and my form is still good before moving up.

Last night's lifts:
    Squats: 5x5 @ 90 lbs.
    BP: 5x5 @ 85 lbs.
    Barbell row: 5x5 @ 80 lbs. Staying at this next time because I'm still a little shy of hitting my chest.

We're going camping this weekend, so I'll have to skip my Saturday workout.
  • perseverance14
    perseverance14 Posts: 1,364 Member
    Options
    Wow, just realized I never posted my workout in here this a.m. So I guess I had my first ohp fail, I really just could not pick up the 70 lbs, so I warmed up at 55, did 5x5 of 65, then 1x5 of 60 just to work on my form a little more. Everything else was good.

Underhand Biceps Curl, seated, 5x5, 140

Reverse Curl 5x5,100

Overhead Press, Barbell, 1 x 5, 55

Overhead Press, Barbell, 5x5, 65

Overhead Press, Barbell, 1x5, 60

Barbell Row, Bent-over 5x5,100

Squat 5x5, 200

Flat Dumbbell Fly 5x10, 40
  • perseverance14
    perseverance14 Posts: 1,364 Member
    Options
    Nice work everybody!
  • MissHolidayGolightly
    Options
    Squatted 115, 5 more than last time. I think I'm going to chill here for a while and work on form. I was getting tired and sloppy on the last few sets. I used the power cage instead of the squat rack for the first time today, too and it was great. The mirror is lower to the floor and I could make sure I got low enough and I could see myself getting unsteady. It's usually pretty busy but I'll try and get on it next time.

I deadlifted 185 - so close to 200! I warmed up a lot and rested for a while before I completed them. I actually got nervous and had to tell myself to just lift it already when it came time. I even thew in a bonus because I try to do one double overhand. Well I didn't do double overhand but I didn't want to go out like that so I did an extra mixed grip rep.

Good news is that my shoulder seems to be healing!! Going to lay off OHP and rows just to be sure for a little longer but when I start again, it will be low and slow. May use the pre-set barbells at 30 or 40 lbs insead of the Olympic bar.