Workout check-in thread: You October-y Lifting Heavy!

Options

Replies

• logg1e
    logg1e Posts: 1,208 Member
    Options
    First lift after a few of you recommended a week off.

Squats deloaded to 79lb to focus on form. 5, 5, 5, 5, 5 and pleased with form.
    OHP deloaded to 40.5lb to focus on just ability to lift the damn thing. 5, 5, 5, 5, 6 and pleased with form.
    DL deloaded to 123lb 5.
  • Savlona
    Savlona Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    Went to gym on Friday.
    Did some bodyweight squats first to limber up, then tried using the smith machine with 44lb. Completely couldn't get it first go, then managed 4 sets of 5. Not sure that the smith machine is the answer - might go and play with the kettlebells.
    Overhead press was fine -27.5 at 5x5. One of the staff checked my form - said it was fine but suggested doing it seated. Any point to that or shall I continue to stand?
    Deadlift was okay too - my form seems fine and I did 38.5 at 5x5
    Nice to follow this thread - you are all amazing!
  • marylynndrake
    marylynndrake Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    Logg1e: Congrats and happy to hear your report that you were pleased with form.
  • psych101
    psych101 Posts: 1,842 Member
    Options
    Sounds like you're gonna come back STRONG Logg1e!
  • perseverance14
    perseverance14 Posts: 1,364 Member
    Options
    Increased deadlifts to 170, wasn't happy with squats at 205 so staying at 200 for now.

Workout A (Sun)

Squats 5 X 5 - 200

Squats 5 x 4 - 205

Deadlifts 5 X 1 - 170

Bench press - 5 x 5 - 105

Reverse curls - 5 x 5 - 100

Overhand bicep curls - 5 x 5 - 140
  • logg1e
    Options
    Thank you everyone, your encouragement and wise words mean a lot to me.

One of us wrote recently about losing the "ego". I think as well as the physical rest, this week has also given me that - a loss of ego. I've given myself permission to not be all macho, but to take things at my own pace.
  • katro111
    katro111 Posts: 632 Member
    Options
    I went to a hot tub pool party on Friday (my friend's parents spend three days heating their pool to 100 degrees and have a huge party before draining and closing it up for the season). I ended up coming home at 6am on Saturday. I haven't been up and out that late since my teenage years! Needless to say, yesterday was a major lazy day which actually made today's workout pretty decent.

Squats - 5x85, 107.5, 127.5, 150, 170lbs
    Bench - 5x47.5, 60, 72.5, 82.5, 95lbs
    Bent over row - 5x47.5, 57.5, 70, 80, 92.5lbs

Split squats - 3x8 @ 80lbs
  • gracielynn1011
    gracielynn1011 Posts: 726 Member
    Options
    Tonight is my second work out in October. I am doing B tonight. I got a new phone recently and lost the data on my stronglifts app, but luckily I remember my current weights.

I actually had to de-load tonight. Back down to 90lb on squats. De-loaded on OHP last time, so I'm at 55lb tonight. DL supposed to be at 130lb. That's 3 lb shy of my body weight.

Summary:

Squats 90lb 5x5
    OHP 55lb. 5, 5, 5, 4,
    Deadlift 130lb 1 rep. 125lb 4 reps.
  • marylynndrake
    Options
    Today was an extra long gym session and it was fabulous! Ran 1.5 miles to the gym. Did lots of warmup lifts before each different lift and it was great, no knee pain! I also learned that the bar is 20kg not 20lbs so I've been lifting heavier than I thought. That gives me lots of satisfaction for the upper body lifts. My non warmup lifts were squat 124 5x5, OHP 64 5x5, dead lift 139 1x5. Followed it with HIIT for 15mins and 10min walk. Got a high while doing OHP that has chilled me out for the entire day. I think I'll make this a Sunday ritual!
  • marylynndrake
    Options
    How do you guys keep your head in a good place? I'm getting really apprehensive about squatting now. I used to love it but as the weights get heavier, so do the doubts :(
    The mind is powerful! To help focus, visualization is a good strategy for me. Also I don't actually look at the folks around me while I prepare to lift and while I'm doing it. That alone is distracting to me. I lift towards the wall, no mirror, I do a few ghost lifts- no weight, just form. These things help. That said I do get distracted. Today there was someone at the gym I'm not a fan of. She is a trainer and was training someone nearby. I said to myself I'm here to lift and I am going to lift, and that helped me refocus and do my workout. I also think about efficiency- I don't want to spend time in the gym that doesn't get me where I want to go, and that helps me keep my focus but keep my impatience in check so I don't overdo it like I think I did when I started. You can do it!
  • xphoenixfirex
    xphoenixfirex Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    Super newbie here! I am only on my 3rd day, started with 20 lbs across the board (I had no idea what I was doing) so today, did 30 all, squats, OHP and Rows. I'm working it very, very slowly until I'm sure of my form.
  • krokador
    krokador Posts: 1,794 Member
    Options
    Did not report much this weekend due to stressful situations and lack of time - I went for a long hike with my little sister on Saturday, did OHP yesterday and deadlifts today.

OHP
    65x5
    72.5x3
    80x4
    65x11

Deadlift
    165x5
    187.5x3
    210x7
    (did not do a first set last because there were a lot of KB deadlifts in the program the day before and my lower back is hurtin' now)

Actually did some close grip bench press and triceps + shoulder work yesterday which felt nice, I don't do that nearly often enough.

Friendly soccer game tonight (I'll be switching my order around so I don't deadlift on mondays anymore after this week xD), one more day in program on wednesday and then I'll have a deload week which is going to be ah-maze-ing! Not one to enjoy rest, usually, but I'm pretty beat up.
  • symba1130
    symba1130 Posts: 248 Member
    Options
    Taking the week of from lifting so today I did 30 minutes on a cardio machine plus some ab stuff. Figured I would stay with my 3-4 days a week so I don't loose the habit.
  • logg1e
    Options
    Super newbie here! I am only on my 3rd day, started with 20 lbs across the board (I had no idea what I was doing) so today, did 30 all, squats, OHP and Rows. I'm working it very, very slowly until I'm sure of my form.

Well, I for one am impressed with your starting weights. Initially I couldn't even squat my own body weight without falling over or getting stuck.
  • logg1e
    Options
    Friendly soccer game tonight (I'll be switching my order around so I don't deadlift on mondays anymore after this week xD), one more day in program on wednesday and then I'll have a deload week which is going to be ah-maze-ing! Not one to enjoy rest, usually, but I'm pretty beat up.

Apologies if you've recently said, but what programme is it you're doing?
  • threnjen
    threnjen Posts: 687 Member
    Options
    SL 5x5 OHP/Deadlift day

I've been sticking at a low weight for squats instead of going up because my form has been sucky and I can't get low enough. I was VERY pleased with my form today and after my warmup set and two sets at my current weight of 60lbs I went ahead and went up to 65lbs. Still kept good form and really happy.

OHP sucked, again. It heartens me though to see that so many people struggle with OHP. I started with 50 and only did 4 reps, then 3 on set 2, then deloaded to 45 and finished with sets of 5. Next time I will stick with 45 and just do the thing where I up my reps instead. Couldn't even manage 5 reps on my first attempt with 50 so it is just not working out right now.

Deadlift I was awesome. Did too many because I just kept challenging myself. Started with 5x75lbs, then did 5x85lbs, and still felt like I could go more so 5x95lbs. The 95lbs was challenging but doable and I felt awesome.

All workouts sandwiched with a 15min run to the gym and a 20min brisk walk home (same route... just so tired lol)
  • canadianlbs
    canadianlbs Posts: 5,199 Member
    Options
    Initially I couldn't even squat my own body weight without falling over or getting stuck.

you just made me laugh. my first introduction to squats and lunges was a 45-minute circuit-interval thing which merely *included* a few doses of them in a much wider range of activities. and still it took me the better part of two weeks to recover fully. i was a completely seasoned 15-mile/day bike rider by then, so i had no idea what was coming at me the next day. no kind of biking has ever put the hurt on my quads the way those squats did.

@threnjen: thanks for this role-modelling about (once again) form versus ambition in my own life. we seem to be in very much the same kind of 'zone' on our weights, with maybe some of the same kinds of struggles. i can't wait to see what you do about rows ;-)
  • coltsgirl311
    coltsgirl311 Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    My first October workout since I've been taking a 2-week break (1 before and 1 after my half marathon), now am back in the game and focusing more on lifting. I had dropped to 2 days a week with 4 running days and a rest day, but I am going to go back to 3 and 3 with a rest day. Since I've been out of the game for a bit, I deloaded all lifts to get back into it slowly.

Workout B:
    Squats 75 lbs 5x5
    Bench 50 lbs 5x5
    Rows 55 lbs 5x5
  • arrrrjt
    arrrrjt Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    Took a couple days off so y last lift was... Thursday now.

SL 5x5.. squat/bench/row

Squats - 5x5 165lbs - last set of 5 was... bleh. Had to use my runners today, regret it.
    Bench - 5x5 @ 105lbs - happy with it, came down funny on one rep but recovered well.
    Row 5x5 @ 115lbs - I feel like I am really doing these wrong... bleh.

Basically hoping the time off/shoes is the reason for the wonky squats.
  • GoldFish1326
    GoldFish1326 Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    I'm only 3 days in, mostly because the FIRST time I tried to do 5 x 5 I hobbled myself like an old man while trying to correct my deadlift form (ironically I went out of my way to have a trainer there so I *wouldn't get hurt* but then I did way too many and got sloppy. And then I found out why that hand rail in next to the toliet...for weeks..good times.

But now I'm back:

Squat 50lbs
    OHP 45 lbs and seriously wow, that was hard for me to do
    Bench Press 45lbs
    Row 45lbs
    Deadlift 70 (paranoia I think so I will up it to the starting of 90/95lbs)

You guys are putting up some serious numbers, sweet job!