Do you have a running goal??

Options
ShortMrsN
ShortMrsN Posts: 177 Member
As in.....I want to run a marathon, or I want to run 5km in under XX:XX time??

I am aiming to run 10km by Christmas time (can do 8.7km now, so sure I could push it out to 10 easily) then I think I might want to train to do a half marathon!!

Replies

• davetheperson
    davetheperson Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    My current goal is to do a half marathon in 2 hours.
  • LoneWolfRunner
    LoneWolfRunner Posts: 1,160 Member
    Options
    Hit 2,000 miles for 2014.
    Finish 50M trail race in 12 hours.
  • bkbenda
    bkbenda Posts: 265 Member
    Options
    My goal is a sub 2:15 half marathon by the end of the year!
  • Stoshew71
    Stoshew71 Posts: 6,553 Member
    Options
    I have my first marathon in Dercember. They say your first should only be to just finish it, but I do have a goal to run it under 4 hours. Possibly 3:45.
  • karllundy
    karllundy Posts: 1,490 Member
    Options
    13 days until my first half...getting pretty excited! Goal is 2 hours. After that, I have a goal to keep up my level and aim to reduce time next spring. Looking at a half in April and another end of May (two of the biggest events in my area).
  • CodeMonkey78
    CodeMonkey78 Posts: 320 Member
    Options
    Complete the ultra specturm in 2015: 50k (Mountain Mist), 40M (Strolling Jim), 50M (Delano 50M), 100k (Undecided), 100M (Undecided), and one Stage Race.
  • limarunner
    Options
    Run half in TX in January. If body holds up, have been sidelined for 4 years with injury, would like to get back to running a marathon in every state.
  • ShortMrsN
    ShortMrsN Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    So I need to set a new goal!! :D
    I ran 11km on Friday!! Just decided to keep going and see how I went and I completed the run in 1 hour and 13 minutes (my sciatic nerve started acting up!!)

So my next goal is 15km, then 20km by Xmas B)

And who knew running for an hour non stop could be such fun!!??
  • kelseyjayep
    kelseyjayep Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Just finished my "complete a 5k" goal about a month ago, so I'm on to a 10k next!
  • madierdorf
    madierdorf Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    I am going to run my 2 and 5K in Nov solo now trying to increase to 10 K. Any ideas on how to increase the run distance safely is interval or just increase distance? I use map my run. Thanks Mary Ann :D
  • viktha
    viktha Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    I didn't set a goal for myself in 2014 but I am thinking ahead to 2015. I am finishing out 2014 with a 5K a month, I sprained my ankle in Oct and missed my first half.

My plan is to run some race every month and complete 1100 miles. So far Jan (Virtual 1/2), Feb (1/2), Mar (Tour de Patrick), June (Ragnar Trail), Oct (5K - same one every year)are all set.
  • Stoshew71
    edited November 2014
    Options
    madierdorf wrote: »
    I am going to run my 2 and 5K in Nov solo now trying to increase to 10 K. Any ideas on how to increase the run distance safely is interval or just increase distance? I use map my run. Thanks Mary Ann :D

I am assuming you are asking on the proper way to increase your long run. Usually the answer is either no more than 10% a week or 1 or 2 miles per week maximum. If you are prone to injury, you may also want to consider backing off a week before you increase. (The week before you run an increased distance, run a couple miles less for that week to give yourself a chance to recover). This tip would also apply to someone new to running. You will want to listen to your body. If you feel really sore after a week of increased running, either stay at that milage or maybe decrease it slightly for the following week before considering increasing again.

At a certain point, you have to also consider how many miles you run in a week overall. Your long run should be 25%-35% of your total weekly milage. So as you increase your long run, you will want to increase some of the runs you do during the week (or even add another day in). Again, the rule is no more than 10% or at most 2 miles per week added and that includes any of your week day runs. So if your long run is 10 miles, you have to run an additional 18.5-30 miles during the week. You could split this up into 3 even days (like 6 miles Mon, 6.5 miles Wed, 6 miles Fri plus 10 mile long run on Sat)
    Or however else you can fit it in (3 miles Mon morning 3.5 miles Mon evening, 6 miles Wed evening, 3 miles Thurs, 4 miles Fri, 10 miles Sat morning).
  • EmilyStopFlying
    EmilyStopFlying Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    In August my brother ran a 12km with literally no training, when I was halfway through my C25K program. So I decided that next year, I'm going to run that 12km with him!

Now it's December the longest run I've ever done is already 8.3km, so I've adjusted my goal to a different 12km race that's in May. I'm still going to make him run it with me though :smiley:
  • xenl
    xenl Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    I did a few 10ks, 5Ks plus a 10 miler last year. My goal is to do the same races with a better time.
  • Laughter_Girl
    Laughter_Girl Posts: 2,226 Member
    Options
    My running goal for 2015 includes at least two - three 5Ks, at least two 10Ks, 1 tough mudder run (I'm scared.), and a half marathon. It'll definitely be a busy year.
  • allaboutmegee
    Options
    My goal is to become a consistent runner and to one day enter into a race. I am very passionate about running so i can't wait to succeed on c25k
  • beemerphile1
    beemerphile1 Posts: 1,710 Member
    Options
    I don't have a specific running goal for 2015. Many of you are obviously far more fit than I.

I used to race at a sub 7 minute pace with an occasional sub 6:30. I got lazy, got fat, and only ran once every couple weeks.

I have now lost 37 pounds and am well on the way to my weight loss goals. At age 59 and overweight, I am just happy when I am able to run pain free.

Rather than goals regarding speed or distance, I guess my goal is to continue losing weight, improving my fitness, and stay injury free. If I accomplish those goals, in May I will take a look at a specific race or distance.
  • scrappyfrog
    scrappyfrog Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    My goal is to run a half marathon in April. But more than that, to not give up running after said half marathon! Like I did 10 years ago!! Good luck to all in achieving your goals! You all are awesome!
  • Stoshew71
    Options
    Goals for 2015. To keep on improving since this is my sophmore season for running. I plan to do more trail running and add more elevation. I have already started plyometrics (this morning was my 3rd week doing it). Tonight will be the 2nd week I will be incorporating core and leg strength training. I will plan to incorporate more formal speed work soon such as threshold intervals and faster repeats. I have 4 back to back weekend HM's planned starting at the end of March going into the 3rd weekend of April. I would like to see if I can BQ by the end of this year. I would need a 3:15 for Rocket City this year in December. I messed up a little bit this past December on my first with my refueling techniques (could have taken in more) and the pace group I chose went out too fast then I expected at the beginning, and I bonked at around mile 21. I was on track for a 3:33 up until ~mile 18 then ended up finishing at 3:50:08 after 4 miles of run/walking towards the end.
  • Zx14chick
    Zx14chick Posts: 255 Member
    Options
    I trained, albeit not as hard as I should have, for a half marathon on November 1 and completed it in 2:54:31. I received free registration for next year, so now I have to run it again, right!? I hope to train better and run in under 2 hours next time. I don't have an annual mileage goal.