Do you have a running goal??

Options

Replies

• tostaky
    tostaky Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    I would like to run a half marathon in 2015 and maybe a marathon in 2016... If my body allows me of course!
    Before having 3 children i used to run marathons. Now... It is hard and i have lots of health niggles... I can only take it very slowly.
    I would also like to run 10k in less than 1hr.
  • TracyeS4
    TracyeS4 Posts: 746 Member
    Options
    ShortMrsN wrote: »
    So I need to set a new goal!! :D
    I ran 11km on Friday!! Just decided to keep going and see how I went and I completed the run in 1 hour and 13 minutes (my sciatic nerve started acting up!!)

So my next goal is 15km, then 20km by Xmas B)

And who knew running for an hour non stop could be such fun!!??

I kinda had a feeling that you were not pushing yourself hard enough.... You can totally double your distance in a year.
  • TracyeS4
    Options
    madierdorf wrote: »
    I am going to run my 2 and 5K in Nov solo now trying to increase to 10 K. Any ideas on how to increase the run distance safely is interval or just increase distance? I use map my run. Thanks Mary Ann :D

Couch to 5K (C25K) has a 10K training program. I haven't tried it yet, but I did complete the C25K program and I would not be able to run that far without it. In fact, when I started, I could barely run 0.3km
  • TracyeS4
    Options
    Stoshew71 wrote: »
    madierdorf wrote: »
    I am going to run my 2 and 5K in Nov solo now trying to increase to 10 K. Any ideas on how to increase the run distance safely is interval or just increase distance? I use map my run. Thanks Mary Ann :D

I am assuming you are asking on the proper way to increase your long run. Usually the answer is either no more than 10% a week or 1 or 2 miles per week maximum. If you are prone to injury, you may also want to consider backing off a week before you increase. (The week before you run an increased distance, run a couple miles less for that week to give yourself a chance to recover). This tip would also apply to someone new to running. You will want to listen to your body. If you feel really sore after a week of increased running, either stay at that milage or maybe decrease it slightly for the following week before considering increasing again.

At a certain point, you have to also consider how many miles you run in a week overall. Your long run should be 25%-35% of your total weekly milage. So as you increase your long run, you will want to increase some of the runs you do during the week (or even add another day in). Again, the rule is no more than 10% or at most 2 miles per week added and that includes any of your week day runs. So if your long run is 10 miles, you have to run an additional 18.5-30 miles during the week. You could split this up into 3 even days (like 6 miles Mon, 6.5 miles Wed, 6 miles Fri plus 10 mile long run on Sat)
    Or however else you can fit it in (3 miles Mon morning 3.5 miles Mon evening, 6 miles Wed evening, 3 miles Thurs, 4 miles Fri, 10 miles Sat morning).

Interesting... So my goal is to increase my speed while slowly building my distance. I have a plan in mind, but it is different than your advise. Maybe I am messing it up. Can you let me know what you think?

Current:
    2-3 miles twice weekly
    Average = 3-5 miles/week

Plan:
    1 mile 2 times weekly at an increased speed
    3 - 4 mile long run once weekly
    5-6 miles/week

• Stoshew71
    Stoshew71 Posts: 6,553 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    For @TracyeS4
    TracyeS4 wrote: »

Interesting... So my goal is to increase my speed while slowly building my distance. I have a plan in mind, but it is different than your advise. Maybe I am messing it up. Can you let me know what you think?

Current:
    2-3 miles twice weekly
    Average = 3-5 miles/week

Plan:
    5-6 miles/week

If you increase your distance slowly, you will force your body to make specific adaptions that will in the end make you a faster runner anyway.

I am not sure what plan you are following, or did you make this plan on your own?

You can incoporate speedwork into your weekly regimine without sacrificing distance but only after you built up a good aerobic base. From your current, it doesn't seem that you built up a good base to do that yet, therefore I would encourage you to concentrate on keeping milage per run and slowly build on your overall distance.

Do you have a busy schedule where you cannot run 3 or 4 times a week?

First allow me to explain the benefits of slowly building up a good aerobic base and why this is important, even when your goal is to increase speed. Then I will explain the concept of how you can incorporate speedwork into your regimine without sacrificing the distance.

First: When you run at what we call a conversational pace (heart rate is about 60-70% of your max), you should be able to hold a conversation relatively easy while running. Running at this rate will stress your metabolic systems enough to make the following adaptions:

1) your heart get's stronger which increases your stroke volume (more blood is delivered to your muscles at each tick) (BTW your current stroke volume will not be any greater than this even if you ran faster- so why run faster if there is no benefit in this area?)
    2) mitrochondria in your muscle cells will increase in number and size and come closer to the edge of the cell (mitochondria is where oxygen and sugar is used together to burn fuel- so more mitochondria means more energy and the closer it is in the cell means the easier it will use the oxygen from the blood supply)

Those 2 things happen as a function of the amount of time running (distance) and not speed. This is from Dr. Jack Daniels who is regarded as one of the best (if not the best) running coach in America.

So there is a great benefit to concentrate on increasing distance even if your goal is to run faster. The more miles you can log in a week (even at a slow conversational pace) the better. At how many miles a week should you begin thinking about speedwork? This is a tough answer and depends on your goals (what types of races you want to run, ect). But you will want to spend at least a year building a good aerobic base by consisistently at least 3x a week. 4x a week to include a long run would be even better.

So how to incorporate speed work and what are the benefits?

The first way to start incorporating speedwork and the very basic is what we call fartleks (Sweedish for speed play). BTW, feel free to google the terms and references I list to learn more or read in more detail.

Fartleks are basically unstructured and random periods within a longer slower steady run where you will temporarily pick up the pace for some distance. For example, you are running your usual 3 mile conversational pace route and you decide to that next traffic light up ahead, or that tree up ahead, or mailbox, ect.... I will run hard. When I reach that light/tree/mailbox then I will slow back down to my normal conversational pace until I fully recover. Then I will pick another landmark and repeat. You will always want to start your run with at least a 10-20 minute warmup and end with a 10-20 minute cooldown.
    The pace you "pick-up" at and the distance you choose is random. But you should be able to return back to your conversational pace to recover (in other words no stopping or walking). It would no longer be considered fartleks if you had to stop or walk.

As you get more serious into speedwork, there are so many plans and methods that it would be impossible to list here. But the basics are your tempo run, tempo intervals, and repeats.

To understand these you have to understand what your VO2 max & lactate threshold are.
    VO2 max is basically the maximum amount of oxygen your body will utilize in a period of time while running. There is a balance between speed and distance when combined together you will reach a point where your body will no longer be able to use any more oxygen. In other words, you can breath it in, but your body will be so taxed out that it won't make any use of it. There are speed workouts that are designed to increase your VO2 max and are usually ran at the threshold. This means, you can run just a little bit faster or farther than your VO2 max and you will hurt harder, but you won't make any more adaptions than if you ran at the threshold. In fact, going beyond it could effect future workouts in a negative way and would actually hurt your overall progress.

Lactate Threshold is the point at which if you were to go just a little bit faster then your blood will start to exponentially increase in lactate. This means that you are no longer depending on aerobic capability (using oxygen to burn fuel) but now on anaerobic capability (where the body is now forced to burn fuel without oxygen). Why is this important? As you burn more energy without oxygen, that fuel is not being used efficiently and lactate and hydrogen ions are being dumped back into your blood. Normally your body is able to clear this lactate and hydrogen ions, but once you run beyond your lactate threshold your body can no longer clear them as fast as your body is producing them. The result is your blood becomes very acidity and forces the runner to stop or slow down big time. Also, your body can only use a stored carb called glycogen (which is limited in supply) as fuel during anaerobic activity. Aerobic activity can use carbs and stored fat as a sorce for energy. You have a virtually unlimited supply of stored fat and you will want to burn that instead of glycogen as a goal. If you happen to run so fast for so far of a distance where you come close to run out of glycogen, you will then reach what they call "bonk" or "hit the wall". A good runner should be able to race at their lactate threshold pace for a good hour before having to slow down or stop.

When you run at your lactate threshold (about 80-88% of your max heart rate or what we call "comfortably hard") your body begins to make specific adaptions that will help increase your lactate threshold. Again, you could run faster or longer, but your body would no longer benefit any better and could effect other workouts within the week negatively.

So what are the benefits of lactate threshold training. You are taxing the body to make use of lactate and clear hydrogen ions as fast as the body can produce it. The longer you run at the pace of your LT, the more efficient your body becomes at this pace. As you progess, that pace that you call your LT will also increase. Therefore you will be able to run faster for longer distances. The benefits of LT training is also a function of time running at that pace and by definition runner any faster won't benefit the runner in this area.

You can do what is called a tempo run. As an eaxmple: You run a warm up at conversational pace for 10-20 minutes, then run at a steady pace at your LT for 20-30 minutes, then cool down again at conversational pace for another 10-20 minutes.

You can run what are called tempo intervals. Say you have your long run where you have 15 miles planned. You run your first 5 miles at conversational pace. Then run the next mile at LT pace then run the next mile back at conversational pace then again at LT pace, ect. Then you run your last 5 miles at conversational pace. You can do the same for shorter runs but the intervals between LT pace and conversational are smaller as with the w/u and c/d.

There are also types of speedwork that tax and forces your body to make specific adaptions of the different muscle twitch fiber types and neurological pathways. Running shorter distances at paces faster than LT or VO2 max with long periods of rest in between is the basis or interval training or repeats. They are designed to increase the ability of your fast twitch muscles. So in interval training you may run 800 meters at your VO2 max or faster, then walk for 1600 meters or until you can fully recover, and repeat that 8 times. You may instead run at this pace for 1 minute or 2 minutes with 5 minutes of walk recover rests in between. Normally what we call "repeats" are intervals that are faster and shorter than "tempo intervals" but the rest period is also longer.

Then elevation adds a different dimention to your running. You can run hill repeats (sprinting up hills during interval training) or running steady pace up a mountain or just incorporating hills into one of your daily runs once or twice a week. Elevation running is a type of resistance workout (such as weight lift training) where you work on building the stregnth of your running muscles. BTW you strength train differently by running up hills faster as opposed to running down hills faster. Both are important. There so many different techniques and training plans for incorporating elevation training that I could not get into specifics here.

So the goal is to eventually get to a point where you can plan your week with different types of runs.

For example:
    Monday: 20 min tempo with w/u and c/u for a total of 6 miles. Tue: 3 miles conversational Wed: 8x800m intervals with w/u and c/d plus an extra 2 miles at conversational pace Thurs: cross train Friday easy 2-3 miles Saturday 8 mile long run. Sunday fully rest.

This type of planning is more or less what you are going to get with most of the training plans that are out there. But it is all based around starting with a good aerobic base where you can run at least 3 miles at a steady conversational pace for at least 3 to 4 times a week. The training plan you choose will be determined by your goals (types of races you want to run) what are your primary weaknesses you want to focus on, what your schedule allows (I assume you have a regular job and/or family), and the methodolgy you trust the most. Daniels' method is much different than say Hanson's method, with is different than Hidgon's method or even Jeff Galloway's method. But they are only different in the specifics of implementation and terminology and they all pretty much follow what I describe above. All your modern training plans stem from a concept called "periodization" that was first implemented by New Zealand coach Arthur Lydiard back in 1947. He is creditied for fathering the modern era of running.

Kind of long but I hope this helps you out.

• ToughMudderAddict
    ToughMudderAddict Posts: 290 Member
    Options
    My short term goals (next few months) are a 15K in the beginning of March and a half in April. Long term I would like to do a full marathon.. maybe this summer.
  • Stoshew71
    Stoshew71 Posts: 6,553 Member
    Options
    Another important point @TracyeS4 I want to isolate. The point that I made above where your body is able to burn energy aerobically can use both carbs and stored fat as an energy source. Your body can only burn carbs (mostly your stored glycogen) at anaerobic levels.

There is another term that I need to introduce here and that is "running economy". The above stuff I mention are all ways to improve your running economy by targeting different aspects and using different methods depending on what specific metaphysical area you are trying to improve. The best way to improve running economy is by loosing weight. The body exerts less energy when it has to propell less weight around. The lighter you weigh, the faster and longer you will be able to run. That is why the best marathon runners look like stick figures as opposed to your best sprinters who have huge leg muscles. Having excessively huge leg muscles actually takes away from your running economy. So if weight loss is a goal for running, you will want to run longer, further, and more often at your aerobic capability as opposed to running faster at your anaerobic capability. Your body will burn both glycogen and fat during aerobic activity. The slower and longer you run (such as your long run for 90 minutes up to 2 hours) will train your body to depend more on burning stored fat rather than glycogen. Studies shown that starting your long run at a glycogen depleted state (or fasted) will also help in this area.
  • TracyeS4
    Options
    Stoshew71, thank you for all of the information. I did put together that training plan myself with the specific goal of increasing my time in 5Ks. I am such a slow runner.. My best 5K time is 42 minutes... Even the C25K expects a 5K to be completed in 40 minutes.

Anyways, after reading your post, I see how little I truly know about running. So, I will definitely take your advise and work on building my base. I do have a busy schedule, often working 10-12 hours/day. My job is also mentally and physically draining, so it is very very hard to find the energy to run on days that I work. However, I do want to be a better runner, so I am going to have to make it happen.

So, I am going to start by committing myself to running at least 3 times/week. I hope that I can get to a place that I can run 4 times / week. I will keep my distance up and find a training plan that can help me. Oh, and I will definitely keep losing weight to improve my running economy :D

Thank you for your help. There is a lot of great information there and I will make sure to study up.
  • suncluster
    suncluster Posts: 539 Member
    Options
    To continue my quest toward freedom, happiness, focus, and confidence.
    ...and a sub2 1/2 ;)
  • 31flavors
    31flavors Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    My goal for this year (or maybe early next year) is to run a marathon. Right now I'm focusing on getting in 3 runs per week, no matter what.
  • bellesb2015
    Options
    My goal is to complete my first half marathon next month with a time of 2:35:00
  • tdbernrd
    tdbernrd Posts: 510 Member
    Options
    Stoshew71 wrote: »
    For @TracyeS4
    TracyeS4 wrote: »

Current:
    2-3 miles twice weekly
    Average = 3-5 miles/week

Plan:
    5-6 miles/week

If you increase your distance slowly, you will force your body to make specific adaptions that will in the end make you a faster runner anyway.

I am not sure what plan you are following, or did you make this plan on your own?

You can incoporate speedwork into your weekly regimine without sacrificing distance but only after you built up a good aerobic base. From your current, it doesn't seem that you built up a good base to do that yet, therefore I would encourage you to concentrate on keeping milage per run and slowly build on your overall distance.

Do you have a busy schedule where you cannot run 3 or 4 times a week?

First allow me to explain the benefits of slowly building up a good aerobic base and why this is important, even when your goal is to increase speed. Then I will explain the concept of how you can incorporate speedwork into your regimine without sacrificing the distance.

First: When you run at what we call a conversational pace (heart rate is about 60-70% of your max), you should be able to hold a conversation relatively easy while running. Running at this rate will stress your metabolic systems enough to make the following adaptions:

1) your heart get's stronger which increases your stroke volume (more blood is delivered to your muscles at each tick) (BTW your current stroke volume will not be any greater than this even if you ran faster- so why run faster if there is no benefit in this area?)
    2) mitrochondria in your muscle cells will increase in number and size and come closer to the edge of the cell (mitochondria is where oxygen and sugar is used together to burn fuel- so more mitochondria means more energy and the closer it is in the cell means the easier it will use the oxygen from the blood supply)

Those 2 things happen as a function of the amount of time running (distance) and not speed. This is from Dr. Jack Daniels who is regarded as one of the best (if not the best) running coach in America.

So there is a great benefit to concentrate on increasing distance even if your goal is to run faster. The more miles you can log in a week (even at a slow conversational pace) the better. At how many miles a week should you begin thinking about speedwork? This is a tough answer and depends on your goals (what types of races you want to run, ect). But you will want to spend at least a year building a good aerobic base by consisistently at least 3x a week. 4x a week to include a long run would be even better.

So how to incorporate speed work and what are the benefits?

The first way to start incorporating speedwork and the very basic is what we call fartleks (Sweedish for speed play). BTW, feel free to google the terms and references I list to learn more or read in more detail.

Fartleks are basically unstructured and random periods within a longer slower steady run where you will temporarily pick up the pace for some distance. For example, you are running your usual 3 mile conversational pace route and you decide to that next traffic light up ahead, or that tree up ahead, or mailbox, ect.... I will run hard. When I reach that light/tree/mailbox then I will slow back down to my normal conversational pace until I fully recover. Then I will pick another landmark and repeat. You will always want to start your run with at least a 10-20 minute warmup and end with a 10-20 minute cooldown.
    The pace you "pick-up" at and the distance you choose is random. But you should be able to return back to your conversational pace to recover (in other words no stopping or walking). It would no longer be considered fartleks if you had to stop or walk.

As you get more serious into speedwork, there are so many plans and methods that it would be impossible to list here. But the basics are your tempo run, tempo intervals, and repeats.

To understand these you have to understand what your VO2 max & lactate threshold are.
    VO2 max is basically the maximum amount of oxygen your body will utilize in a period of time while running. There is a balance between speed and distance when combined together you will reach a point where your body will no longer be able to use any more oxygen. In other words, you can breath it in, but your body will be so taxed out that it won't make any use of it. There are speed workouts that are designed to increase your VO2 max and are usually ran at the threshold. This means, you can run just a little bit faster or farther than your VO2 max and you will hurt harder, but you won't make any more adaptions than if you ran at the threshold. In fact, going beyond it could effect future workouts in a negative way and would actually hurt your overall progress.

Lactate Threshold is the point at which if you were to go just a little bit faster then your blood will start to exponentially increase in lactate. This means that you are no longer depending on aerobic capability (using oxygen to burn fuel) but now on anaerobic capability (where the body is now forced to burn fuel without oxygen). Why is this important? As you burn more energy without oxygen, that fuel is not being used efficiently and lactate and hydrogen ions are being dumped back into your blood. Normally your body is able to clear this lactate and hydrogen ions, but once you run beyond your lactate threshold your body can no longer clear them as fast as your body is producing them. The result is your blood becomes very acidity and forces the runner to stop or slow down big time. Also, your body can only use a stored carb called glycogen (which is limited in supply) as fuel during anaerobic activity. Aerobic activity can use carbs and stored fat as a sorce for energy. You have a virtually unlimited supply of stored fat and you will want to burn that instead of glycogen as a goal. If you happen to run so fast for so far of a distance where you come close to run out of glycogen, you will then reach what they call "bonk" or "hit the wall". A good runner should be able to race at their lactate threshold pace for a good hour before having to slow down or stop.

When you run at your lactate threshold (about 80-88% of your max heart rate or what we call "comfortably hard") your body begins to make specific adaptions that will help increase your lactate threshold. Again, you could run faster or longer, but your body would no longer benefit any better and could effect other workouts within the week negatively.

So what are the benefits of lactate threshold training. You are taxing the body to make use of lactate and clear hydrogen ions as fast as the body can produce it. The longer you run at the pace of your LT, the more efficient your body becomes at this pace. As you progess, that pace that you call your LT will also increase. Therefore you will be able to run faster for longer distances. The benefits of LT training is also a function of time running at that pace and by definition runner any faster won't benefit the runner in this area.

You can do what is called a tempo run. As an eaxmple: You run a warm up at conversational pace for 10-20 minutes, then run at a steady pace at your LT for 20-30 minutes, then cool down again at conversational pace for another 10-20 minutes.

You can run what are called tempo intervals. Say you have your long run where you have 15 miles planned. You run your first 5 miles at conversational pace. Then run the next mile at LT pace then run the next mile back at conversational pace then again at LT pace, ect. Then you run your last 5 miles at conversational pace. You can do the same for shorter runs but the intervals between LT pace and conversational are smaller as with the w/u and c/d.

There are also types of speedwork that tax and forces your body to make specific adaptions of the different muscle twitch fiber types and neurological pathways. Running shorter distances at paces faster than LT or VO2 max with long periods of rest in between is the basis or interval training or repeats. They are designed to increase the ability of your fast twitch muscles. So in interval training you may run 800 meters at your VO2 max or faster, then walk for 1600 meters or until you can fully recover, and repeat that 8 times. You may instead run at this pace for 1 minute or 2 minutes with 5 minutes of walk recover rests in between. Normally what we call "repeats" are intervals that are faster and shorter than "tempo intervals" but the rest period is also longer.

Then elevation adds a different dimention to your running. You can run hill repeats (sprinting up hills during interval training) or running steady pace up a mountain or just incorporating hills into one of your daily runs once or twice a week. Elevation running is a type of resistance workout (such as weight lift training) where you work on building the stregnth of your running muscles. BTW you strength train differently by running up hills faster as opposed to running down hills faster. Both are important. There so many different techniques and training plans for incorporating elevation training that I could not get into specifics here.

So the goal is to eventually get to a point where you can plan your week with different types of runs.

For example:
    Monday: 20 min tempo with w/u and c/u for a total of 6 miles. Tue: 3 miles conversational Wed: 8x800m intervals with w/u and c/d plus an extra 2 miles at conversational pace Thurs: cross train Friday easy 2-3 miles Saturday 8 mile long run. Sunday fully rest.

This type of planning is more or less what you are going to get with most of the training plans that are out there. But it is all based around starting with a good aerobic base where you can run at least 3 miles at a steady conversational pace for at least 3 to 4 times a week. The training plan you choose will be determined by your goals (types of races you want to run) what are your primary weaknesses you want to focus on, what your schedule allows (I assume you have a regular job and/or family), and the methodolgy you trust the most. Daniels' method is much different than say Hanson's method, with is different than Hidgon's method or even Jeff Galloway's method. But they are only different in the specifics of implementation and terminology and they all pretty much follow what I describe above. All your modern training plans stem from a concept called "periodization" that was first implemented by New Zealand coach Arthur Lydiard back in 1947. He is creditied for fathering the modern era of running.

Kind of long but I hope this helps you out.

I wish I had read this before I bought Daniels' book. I'm not the most educated person when it comes to running so I got lost because I couldn't measure any of the things he talked about. But after reading this, I actually understand. (*)
  • LittleNell107
    LittleNell107 Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    My goal this year is the Great North Run (half) in September - plenty of time so I want to train PROPERLY for it this time! Specifically, I'd like to aim for 2:15:00 (slow, I know - but would be good for me!).
  • MommysLittleMeatball
    MommysLittleMeatball Posts: 2,064 Member
    Options
    Just joined the group. Hello. :)

I just participated in my first 5k on Feb 21, 2015. My goal for March is to improve my time on my next 5k - March 22. Next goal - 8k in May. Goal for the year run a half (or two).
  • kellyframe31
    kellyframe31 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    My goal for 2015 is to improve my time and distance and work up to a 5k hopefully in the fall.
  • nickylee76
    nickylee76 Posts: 629 Member
    Options
    Half marathon in May...... hoping for under 2:45.
  • electriq
    electriq Posts: 359 Member
    Options
    My running goals for this year are to run two half marathons, one in May and the other towards the end of the year. Sometime during the year I'd like to run a 10k. I'd be very happy if I could beat my PB of 2'20" for the half but I'm not so focussed on speed.

Looking towards next year I may take on a marathon, but first I'll see how I go with this year.
  • runningagainstmyself
    runningagainstmyself Posts: 616 Member
    Options
    I have many goals. I've hit three of them so far: (1) Start running again; (2) Complete C25K; and (3) run 10k. Right now the next goals are:
    - Get strong and consistently hit sub-30 5k runs
    - Run 10k more consistently and work on hitting sub-60
    - Begin upping mileage once a week in training for Octobers HM race
    - Continue upping mileage for my first-ever marathon (aiming for BMO Vancouver Marathon in May 2016 if possible)
    - Don't get an overtraining injury
    - Keep running 3x/wk, and try to ramp up to 4x/wk if energy/time provides.
  • princessmommy122
    princessmommy122 Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    bkbenda wrote: »
    My goal is a sub 2:15 half marathon by the end of the year!

This⬆️⬆️⬆️

• WhatMeRunning
    WhatMeRunning Posts: 3,538 Member
    Options
    Current goal is to finish 4 half marathons in 36 days, halfway there right now, last two coming up in just under two weeks! After that the rest of the year will mostly be about building mileage (weekly and long runs). Although I do have 3 more halfs scheduled in the fall. Those are just to do more halfs at this point, really.