Welcome!

Options
I'm also a member of the Christians Unite group, but I know there's sometimes a difference in perspective, as well. This group is NOT to go against the Christian group - I see it as more of a supplement. =)

Replies

• macpatti
    macpatti Posts: 4,280 Member
    Options
    I'm a 'cradle Catholic'! I work at a Catholic high school and teach Sunday school at our parish. Thanks for starting this group!

Patti
  • holyguacamole37
    holyguacamole37 Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    You're so welcome!! I was searching through groups looking for a Catholic group and wondered why there wasn't one already... So I figured maybe I should do something about it. =)

I'm also a cradle Catholic - went to Catholic schools for 13 years and wouldn't trade my faith for anything in the world. I'm also going to Spain in a few weeks to teach English at a Catholic girls' high school for a few months, which I'm SO excited for. I've heard that the perspectives and spirituality there, while totally true to the faith, are really unique, so I'm really looking forward to that!!
  • macpatti
    Options
    That is so awesome! I work at a Jesuit school, and the Jesuits were started by St. Ignatius of Loyola. My husband and I took a pilgrimage of the life of St. Ignatius the summer before last. We started in Loyola, Spain then went to Pamplona, Barcelona, Monsserrat, Manresa, Madrid then headed to Rome where he died. It was amazing!
  • Ocarina
    Ocarina Posts: 1,550 Member
    Options
    Hey guys! I'm married into the religion basically. I grew up as a Greek Orthodox person and also went to Protestant churches as my parents were pretty bipolar on religion. I met my husband who is Catholic and I was allowed to take communion as I was in the Orthodox church. After going to mass for awhile and a TON of debating I decided I would convert to Catholicism. I got married in the Catholic church and am going to RCIA this year. Absolutely LOVE IT! I listen to Catholic Radio and go to mass every week so I'm very in tuned to the religion. It's been wonderful! Glad to see a group to belong to. :)
  • macpatti
    Options
    Hey guys! I'm married into the religion basically. I grew up as a Greek Orthodox person and also went to Protestant churches as my parents were pretty bipolar on religion. I met my husband who is Catholic and I was allowed to take communion as I was in the Orthodox church. After going to mass for awhile and a TON of debating I decided I would convert to Catholicism. I got married in the Catholic church and am going to RCIA this year. Absolutely LOVE IT! I listen to Catholic Radio and go to mass every week so I'm very in tuned to the religion. It's been wonderful! Glad to see a group to belong to. :)

Congrats on going through RCIA! My husband is a theologian and does many talks to RCIA programs here in Houston. Let me know if you have any questions......my husband is an expert (and a convert himself).
  • Thomasm198
    Thomasm198 Posts: 3,189 Member
    Options
    I'm also in the Christians Unite group.

I'm a Catholic. I'm a Minister of the Eucharist in my local parish.

I spent about 15 years away from the Catholic church (long story but I had basically become disillusioned with it). I did a lot of soul-searching and researching during that 15 years with the intention of converting to a different religion. But in the end, I ended up going back to the Catholic church.
  • macpatti
    Options

I spent about 15 years away from the Catholic church (long story but I had basically become disillusioned with it). I did a lot of soul-searching and researching during that 15 years with the intention of converting to a different religion. But in the end, I ended up going back to the Catholic church.

Did you end up converting to another religion and then returning to Catholicism?
  • Thomasm198
    Thomasm198 Posts: 3,189 Member
    Options

Did you end up converting to another religion and then returning to Catholicism?

No. I didn't convert to another religion. I just read and studied about different religions, and considered converting; all the while I still prayed to God. In the end, I came to the conclusion that I was foolish to stray away from the church. My disagreement was with the church here on earth and not with God. So I started going back to mass.

Coincidentaly, at the first mass that I attended when I decided to put aside my disagreement with the church, the priest's sermon during mass referred to the parable of the prodigal son. It brought tears to my eyes, and I felt embarassed. It felt like the priest was staring straight at me.
  • macpatti
    Options

No. I didn't convert to another religion. I just read and studied about different religions, and considered converting; all the while I still prayed to God. In the end, I came to the conclusion that I was foolish to stray away from the church. My disagreement was with the church here on earth and not with God. So I started going back to mass.

Coincidentaly, at the first mass that I attended when I decided to put aside my disagreement with the church, the priest's sermon during mass referred to the parable of the prodigal son. It brought tears to my eyes, and I felt embarassed. It felt like the priest was staring straight at me.

Wow....how awesome is that? I love that parable.
  • dannylives3
    dannylives3 Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    A Catholic group, my people! :)
  • wannabeviv
    wannabeviv Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Came to the church in '08 and have been devoted ever since.
    Currently training to be a Catholic School Primary Teacher at a Catholic University in Sydney :)
  • momof3and3
    momof3and3 Posts: 656 Member
    Options
    Born and raised Catholic...raising my children Catholic...

I find comfort in the Mass.

Help out in my church where needed, relgion class, hospitality, organizing Easter Egg Hunt...whatever is needed...
  • holyguacamole37
    Options
    Came to the church in '08 and have been devoted ever since.
    Currently training to be a Catholic School Primary Teacher at a Catholic University in Sydney :)

LOVE this. Also, PLEASE tell me your profile picture is you dressed as a Ravenclaw. I was a Hufflepuff for Halloween. =)
  • holyguacamole37
    Options
    A Catholic group, my people! :)

haha, Glad you like it!! Hopefully it'll continue to grow. =)
  • holyguacamole37
    Options

I was an RCIA sponsor about two years ago, and it was a GREAT experience. Hopefully your leaders are just as great!! (Oh, and I absolutely LOVE Catholic Radio. =) )
  • holyguacamole37
    Options
    That is so awesome! I work at a Jesuit school, and the Jesuits were started by St. Ignatius of Loyola. My husband and I took a pilgrimage of the life of St. Ignatius the summer before last. We started in Loyola, Spain then went to Pamplona, Barcelona, Monsserrat, Manresa, Madrid then headed to Rome where he died. It was amazing!

That is so awesome!!! I've thought about doing the Camino de Santiago (Way of St. James) this summer after I finish teaching, but that pilgrimage sounds like a great option, too!! Maybe I'll find time to squeeze in both while I'm there... Finding out stuff like this makes me SO much more excited to finally go to Spain!!! =)
  • macpatti
    Options

That is so awesome!!! I've thought about doing the Camino de Santiago (Way of St. James) this summer after I finish teaching, but that pilgrimage sounds like a great option, too!! Maybe I'll find time to squeeze in both while I'm there... Finding out stuff like this makes me SO much more excited to finally go to Spain!!! =)

You'll have an amazing time! I look forward to your updates about your experience.
  • Mymag
    Mymag Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    my sister started the group, so i'm kinda famous. feel free to ask for autographs :) i might even be able to steal her used gum!!
  • Regmama
    Regmama Posts: 399 Member
    Options
    I was adopted through Catholic Charities, raised Catholic, went to Catholic school, was a full time volunteer/national missionary through a Catholic organization, taught in Catholic school, and am now the wife of a candidate for the diaconate. Yes, my life is very Catholic. As I tell everyone when talking about politics I'm Catholic first. I love my faith, am grateful for it, and would not abandon it, ever. I love being Catholic!

And why I"m on MFP, because I'm tired of confessing gluttony.
  • RTricia
    RTricia Posts: 720
    Options
    Hello everyone!

OCDS here :-)

(Order of Carmelites Discalced Secular)

Pray for me, as I for you!!

Feel free to send prayer requests my way +