Replies

• frj85
    frj85 Posts: 62
    Options
    Fat Jacks pizza or Beer Barrel in Lima
  • HeavyLiftGirl
    HeavyLiftGirl Posts: 1,267 Member
    Options
    I love Piada. Italian Street Eatery at its best!

I also love this Modern Asian place downtown Columbus called "Lemon Grass". Yummmm!
  • dValkyrie
    dValkyrie Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    One of my favorite places to get healthy take-out is Chipotle Mexican Grill. I know they're in the Cincinnati area, but I'm not sure where else. Their website lets you build your meal piece by piece and control the calories.
  • RunningOnPurple
    RunningOnPurple Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    I was at a baby shower at Mustard Seed Market's Cafe (upstairs) in Montrose (Akron) area recently and the food was excellent and fairly healthy, too.
  • ravinraven718
    Options
    I have too many favorite places to eat in Ohio. Back in Akron (where I grew up), I love Mustard Seed Market, Luigi's, New Era, and Swenson's (on a limited basis, mind). My fiancee is from Cincinnati, but I haven't been to too many unique restaurants down there. I love Skyline and La Rosa's. I also went to Dumesh for Indian and it was really good. We live in Columbus and the city has a stronger food culture than any other city we've lived in, probably because of the tourism. My favorite place here are Mac's, Betty's, Schmidt's, Cosi (not the science center - I worked at the museum and people would get them confused all the time), and Abuelo's. I could probably name half a dozen more.
  • thenicoleboes
    thenicoleboes Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    If you are looking for authentic & delicious Italian food- Findlay, OH has La Scola......it's really good. We definitely enjoy going there!
  • katapple
    katapple Posts: 1,108 Member
    Options
    I know of no where healthy in Dayton! LOOOL!!!!!!!! I have to fight my family every time I go home! Grocery store is it.

It's not exactly healthy, but they use fresh/organic/local produce and it's amazing: Olive, an urban dive. You must go!

I'm not from OH (military) and I really really don't understand the Marion's craze. It's expensive, and not that great. I'd much rather have Jet's or Spinoza's (Fairfield Mall).

Love Jeni's Ice Cream in Columbus! Pear Riesling sorbet...yum! Maggie Moo's, Cherry House Cafe (Beavercreek) and First Watch are also at the top :)
  • wrkout2bfit
    wrkout2bfit Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    Hands down, Northstar in Columbus. Great food, mostly organic, affordable, and best ever reasonable calories!!! Love it!
    It must be good, there was a really long line the day we were going to eat there. Earned free meal cards for signing up for a race ( Scioto Miles). Gave our cards to someone else because the line was so long. I will have to try it one day!
  • bjcj96
    bjcj96 Posts: 3
    Options
    Hil-Mack's in Ashtabula harbor area. Excellent fish !
  • SaraJaneFit
    SaraJaneFit Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Newest great restaurant = 101 Beer Kitchen in Dublin, Ohio (Columbus area!) The chef focuses on fresh seasonal ingredients and creates everything from scratch daily! There are vegan, vegetarian, even gluten free options and you can order most items exactly the way you want them. For example, want steamed vegetables, rather than sauteed in butter? No Problem! A great healthy family restaurant focused on good food for everyone .... and of course there are amazing craft beers as well!
  • superbeacon
    Options
    The best vegan places around Youngstown are Flaming Ice Cube in Boardman/Canfield, and Ely's to go off of Western Reserve in Boardman. Everything is good! Seriously! Ely's lunch salads are famous.

Another place with tasty vegetarian offerings is Pho Saigon (Vietnamese and Thai) in Boardman on South Ave.
  • vcollings
    vcollings Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    If you like sushi and are in Columbus, you must try Akai Hana, which is located off of Kenny and Henderson Rd. My favorite sushi in Columbus! But go early, they usually have a long wait!
  • kk41890
    kk41890 Posts: 7
    Options
    Toledo Area::

Pizza Papalis for pizza.
    Mi Hacienda for mexican.
    Nagoya for hibachi.
    Koto Buki for sushi.
    Zingo's for mediterranean (fresh and lots of healthy options).
    Rosie's for italian.

My top picks.
  • MissingMyOldSelf
    MissingMyOldSelf Posts: 689 Member
    Options
    If you're traveling in the New Carlisle area, you've GOTTA have Tom's Deli (on 571), Mel O Dee (the staple old person, after Sunday church meal with Broasted chicken), or Wot a Dog. Farther into town, almost to the northmost point, there's Arrow Queen, which is our "generic" Dairy Queen. Fantastic!!! And for the best chinese in the area, New China's Best right on the northern point of New Carlisle, in the same shopping center as Howards IGA, has the most flavorful chicken in black bean sauce I've ever had. The crab rangoon is the best I've had in years!

Not far away in Tipp City (off of I75) is Hinders, which is like Frickers or Roosters, but their chunks (hunks) have more flavor in the batter before being fried. Try the Butt Warmer sauce,.. a sweet and spicy tang!

There are a few El Toros, which, strangely enough, I've talked with a manager in the Huber Heights location, and after visiting El Toros in Springfield and Kettering, we found out that they change their recipes by location because of the clientele. So, if you want spicy Mexican, the Huber and Vandalia locations are the way to go!

DONUTS!!!!! The best two are Jims in Vandalia, and Bills in Centerville. No questions asked.

CUPCAKES!!!! Moore Dessert Please on Shroyer can't be beat! $3 a cupcake, and with not only the basic flavor staples, but Brittany is ALWAYS adding new flavors. Recently, she did a Baseball theme and had buttered popcorn, beer and nut, and cracker jack. She also has to-die-for cheesecake brownies and loaded brownies that are a hit for any company party. (I know from experience) She was also on Cupcake Wars twice... getting ready to make her third appearance!
  • Dragonwolf
    Dragonwolf Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    One of my favorite places to get healthy take-out is Chipotle Mexican Grill. I know they're in the Cincinnati area, but I'm not sure where else. Their website lets you build your meal piece by piece and control the calories.

Chipotle's a chain, so they're pretty much everywhere that there's a decent population ( http://goo.gl/maps/8LkWh ).

Re: Northstar Cafe - I hear it's good, but it definitely leans more toward the veg*n crowd, and isn't very paleo/primal or low-carb friendly (as in, you'll have to special order most things). Not necessarily a bad thing, but good to know ahead of time if you sit on the opposite side of the dietary spectrum.

That said Flip Side Burger is a pretty awesome place. They're in Easton (Columbus), Hudson, and Chagrin Falls. They use Ohio-raised, grass-fed beef and free-range chicken. The opposite of Northstar, they trend more away from the veg*n crowd, but they do have a vegetarian option.

For some good authentic Italian food (like, owned and made by an Italian immigrant couple, authentic), you have to check out Giuseppe and Lola's Trattoria in Gahanna (Columbus east side). Go early, though, the place is small and they fill up quick.

Sunny Street Cafe (mostly around Columbus, but there's also one in Cleveland) is pretty good for breakfast and lunch. Their breakfast sausage is awesome, but a little on the high-calorie side. Great food, just plan for the potential calorie load.
  • white_roses09
    white_roses09 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I'm definitely going to have to try Northstar, there menu looks great super reasonable prices and they even have Vegetarian options
  • white_roses09
    white_roses09 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Delaware, OH
    1808 bistro
    Veritas (kind of expensive but totally worth it for Foodies)

Columbus
    Tres portillos (mexican food)
  • mrslcoop
    mrslcoop Posts: 317 Member
    Options
    Newest great restaurant = 101 Beer Kitchen in Dublin, Ohio (Columbus area!) The chef focuses on fresh seasonal ingredients and creates everything from scratch daily! There are vegan, vegetarian, even gluten free options and you can order most items exactly the way you want them. For example, want steamed vegetables, rather than sauteed in butter? No Problem! A great healthy family restaurant focused on good food for everyone .... and of course there are amazing craft beers as well!

Yes. Love that place. Their wedge salad with steak (while not very healthy... lots of blue cheese and bacon) is one of the best things I've ever eaten.

As for healthy, Northstar Cafe is by far my favorite. My favorite not healthy place is Starliner Diner in Hilliard. Best diner in town hands down. Their Cuban French Toast is the big draw.

ETA: Must give a shout out for Los Gauchos in Columbus off Bethel. Their Tacos Al Pastor are top notch. All the Mexicans I know say this is by far the most authentic Mexican food in town.
  • ryansgirl101302
    Options
    I know of nowhere healthy around here yet. BUT Guido's in Chesterland has the best pizza hands down! We do have a sushi place in Downtown Willoughby....I've never had sushi, so it scares me :)
  • iwannabinnarnia
    iwannabinnarnia Posts: 179 Member
    Options

Place Ohio needs: McAlester's deli. Went there in South Carolina and it was awesome!

There is a McAlister's in Mason, just off of Tylersville Road, which is just off of I75... They have the best sweet tea!