Ravenclaw Common Room

Options

Replies

• srp2011
    srp2011 Posts: 1,829 Member
    Options
    Hi Everyone!

I just transferred to Hogwarts and was sorted into Ravenclaw - happy to be here and I look forward to meeting everyone! What do I do from here?
  • momofJandA
    momofJandA Posts: 1,038 Member
    Options
    srp2011- welcome to the best house in Hogwarts!!!

protein is rarely a problem for me- especially if I stick with 55g a day- when I do low carb it changes to something crazy like 120g a day and sometimes that is hard to keep up with.

I have been lookly closely at my diary and realize my sodium is OUT OF CONTROL . . . the diced ham in my egg substitute in the morning is great for protein but not for sodium, my lunch is always a packaged Healthy Choice meal- which I know packaged isn't good, but its easy, and of course my Diet Dr.Pepper doesn't add any calories but sure does kill my sodium. Maybe the extra sodium accounts for some (definitely not all) of the extra belly width (bloating?)
  • azsuzi
    azsuzi Posts: 1,169 Member
    Options
    Hi Everyone!

I just transferred to Hogwarts and was sorted into Ravenclaw - happy to be here and I look forward to meeting everyone! What do I do from here?
    Welcome srp2011! Kelly and Lottee are our Heads of House. One of them will contact you with the information you need. In the meantime, feel free to drop in and chat any time!

Hello Ravenclaw! I'm back at work today but sure do wish I could have stayed home another day. I have absolutely no energy and this cough is wearing me out. :( At least there's no school this week and I can just go home and veg in front of the TV. Hope you all have a great day!
  • korkster
    korkster Posts: 181 Member
    Options
    ...poo.

Well, it was a nice trip to TWO-ville, but I am back in the Three's this week. I think I know why, and have a better handle on myself. I'm going to focus just keeping under calories and not worry about the exercise. We're in it for the long haul, right?
  • azsuzi
    Options
    ...poo.

Well, it was a nice trip to TWO-ville, but I am back in the Three's this week. I think I know why, and have a better handle on myself. I'm going to focus just keeping under calories and not worry about the exercise. We're in it for the long haul, right?
    That's right Korkster - and over the long haul, you'll see a lot of ups and downs. This is just a temporary bump up - you'll drop it again in no time. Keep it up - you're doing great!!
  • lottee1000
    lottee1000 Posts: 447 Member
    Options
    Right, Head oh House stuff first...

Firstly, well done to our prefects this week, Azsuzi and MomofJandA!!! They will be setting our challenges this week. But, I must say, I'd like to see a few others getting the prefect roles, they do tend to get shared between the same few people each month! I challenge you to be a prefect next week if you haven't been recently!

Also, congratulations to azsuzi, blackhawkgirl91, cenedria235, craft338, kellyisfat, knitchick89, mommyoftwins08, momofJandA, and Weezieishness for losing this week. Well done you guys!

Srp2011- Welcome to Ravenclaw! I am messaging you right now to fill you in on what to do. Make sure you hang out in the common room for support, etc though!
  • lottee1000
    Options
    And now me stuff....

Sorry I've been awol for a couple of days, had a really bad TOM (unusual for me) so have been spending most of my time when not at work lying in bed whining about being female! Bit better now though.

As for challenges, have cracked it now. Looked at my macros and altered them a bit, am going for carbs 50%, protein 25% and fat 25%. Will up protein at the expense of fat in the future. That means, before exercise my protein goal is 75g, which is high but doable, I've just upped my portions of protein foods and limited my carb intake (because the protein is so filling!). Don't know if I can keep this up for ages but it's nice to cut down on carbs this week to see what it's like. Am counting hitting 75g as meeting my protein goal even if I do up it by exercise, because I try to only eat my exercise calories back sometimes anyway (my lazy version of calorie cycling...)

Had a crappy day at work today, big argument with my boss because I intercepted a letter he was sending out and pointed out it was really badly written, we ended up having grammar arguments for about three hours! I can't afford to waste three hours! Gah, bad grammar annoys me....

EDIT- not so bothered about spelling and grammar in internet forums, so don't think I'm scrutinising your posts for mistakes! ha ha!
  • brittlynn07
    brittlynn07 Posts: 386 Member
    Options
    Well I just got back from a 3 day business trip. I will be really surprised if I didn't gain a lot of weight. On the plus side, there was a gym at the hotel where I stayed and I managed to get in some exercise. I actually ran on the treadmill which is a first for me. I've been getting my arm workouts in every day which also helps. I didn't keep track of my food while I was gone cause I didn't have much time to look it up so I'm not sure how much protein I've been eating. I tried to make good choices while I was gone though and ended up eating a lot of salads.

Oh, how do I keep up with my owls and house points? I'm not entirely sure what I need to do in regards to that.
  • Crying_In_Color
    Crying_In_Color Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    Started out in Slytherine, moved to this house. That form does not have to much action and the leader hasn't responded to me and its almost been a week. Looking forward to my first weigh in on Monday.
  • kellyisloved
    kellyisloved Posts: 441 Member
    Options
    Well I just got back from a 3 day business trip. I will be really surprised if I didn't gain a lot of weight. On the plus side, there was a gym at the hotel where I stayed and I managed to get in some exercise. I actually ran on the treadmill which is a first for me. I've been getting my arm workouts in every day which also helps. I didn't keep track of my food while I was gone cause I didn't have much time to look it up so I'm not sure how much protein I've been eating. I tried to make good choices while I was gone though and ended up eating a lot of salads.

Oh, how do I keep up with my owls and house points? I'm not entirely sure what I need to do in regards to that.

Heya! Some of the information about OWLs and house points was in the message I sent to you on Thursday, so if you still have that handy, it might help. Otherwise, I had a January post regarding general Ravenclaw information on my blog that might help, too: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/kellyisfat/view/hogwarts-january-inter-house-challenge-ravenclaw-house-193681

The simple version is that to earn an OWL, you need to meet the daily challenge requirements for it. Exercise, Food, and Spirit are the three categories, so you can earn up to three each day. Spirit is just a matter of posting in the common room, so you get one for every day during the week you do that. The Food and Exercise challenges change from week to week -- Lottee posts them in the CR for everyone and they are also updated on the weigh-in tracker for easy reference.

House points are really simple. You just add up the number of minutes you spent exercising in some manner during the week. Every minute = one point.

Once you have that info, you enter it on your weigh-in day on the tracker right beside your weight update. :) Hope that's what you needed! Oh, and congrats on maintaining pretty well even without tracking - and good on you for working out during your trip!
  • kellyisloved
    Options
    Hope everyone is doing well! My shoulders are aching from the extra arm work this week, but it's been fun to make myself do it. :)
  • azsuzi
    Options
    Happy Thursday Ravenclaw! I'm finally starting to feel a little better and managed to get in the arm exercises last night. Protein has never been a problem so I've got that one nailed - except for a day or two where my eating was off with this cold. Too bad our challenge wasn't abs this week - I could have counted all my coughing toward that! :laugh:

Congratulations to everyone for their progress last week. I was totally surprised to be a prefect! That's a first for me since I wasn't eligible when I was HOH! I feel honored! :blushing:

Welcome to all of our new members! Ravenclaw is really the best house around! And in case you haven't noticed, we're getting ready to roll over to our third thread, so watch for the forwarding links!!

Have a wonderful day everyone!!
  • Crying_In_Color
    Options
    Checking In-
    Weight Loss This Week-1 pound (probably more, my TOM and retaining water)
    Total Owls-1
    Total House Points-180 (I usually do 30 minutes a day but missed one)
  • momofJandA
    momofJandA Posts: 1,038 Member
    Options
    hey everybody- missed my check in yesterday, bu this week has been really busy. My students have been working with artists from NYC doing something called Hip Hop Residency. Basically these hip hop artists work with my students writing poems, choreographing break dancing and popping, beat boxing, graffic art, etc (everything hip hop related). At the end the students put on a show at the local theather that is completely student generated. Its intense and last night was the performance. So this week has been filled with field trips and shopping (thank you gifts) and tying up loose ends. I love it but its exhausting. The kids did great though and my 2 real kids LOVED the performance- they were both shaking their stuff in the aisles :)

I am totally sucking at the exercise OWL this week- unless I can count 30DS for arm exercises (which I won't).
  • Crying_In_Color
    Options
    I'm going to give Slytherin another go. They need help...bad.
  • azsuzi
    Options
    I'm going to give Slytherin another go. They need help...bad.
    Good luck in Slytherin Crying_In_Color. Maybe you can help get some spirit going in that house. We'd all love to see more inter-house participation.

Happy Friday all! This has been an exhausting week - working while sick is always so hard. Last night I finally got a full night's sleep and I'm feeling a little bit better every day. So ready for the weekend though!!
  • brittlynn07
    brittlynn07 Posts: 386 Member
    Options
    So I weighed this morning and surprisingly I had lost 2 pounds! I haven't done so well on the owls this week but hopefully next week will be better.
  • kellyisloved
    Options
    Hope you can help get things in Slytherin, Crying_In_Color. Would love to see all the houses strong. :)

Glad you're starting to feel better again, Sue -- hope this weekend is a nice and relaxing/enjoyable one for you.

momofJandA, that sounds like so much fun! Glad your kids enjoyed it, too :D

Congrats, brittlynn07, on your loss! I love happy surprises like that, lol. I'm sure next week you'll kill it in the challenges.
  • lottee1000
    Options
    Hey there Ravenclaws, just a quick check-in as I'm off to bed, it's half 11 pm here, and I've been up since 5.30, after thre hours sleep last night... TIRED!

Challenges this week:

Exercise: fit exercise in where you wouldn't expect. Examples: contract abs while sitting at a red light or at your desk throughout the day, calf raises while waiting at the copy machine, a walk during lunch, park far away and walk, taking the stairs instead of the elevator, etc. 1 OWL per day when take every opportunity to do this.

Food: Azsuzi is coming up with a challenge, be ready everyone!!

Spirit:Post!

Will catch up with you guys tomorrow X
  • azsuzi
    Options
    Hey there Ravenclaws, just a quick check-in as I'm off to bed, it's half 11 pm here, and I've been up since 5.30, after thre hours sleep last night... TIRED!

Challenges this week:

Exercise: fit exercise in where you wouldn't expect. Examples: contract abs while sitting at a red light or at your desk throughout the day, calf raises while waiting at the copy machine, a walk during lunch, park far away and walk, taking the stairs instead of the elevator, etc. 1 OWL per day when take every opportunity to do this.

Food: Azsuzi is coming up with a challenge, be ready everyone!!

Spirit:Post!

Will catch up with you guys tomorrow X
    Woops! Thanks for the reminder Lottee!!

OK - this week's food challenge is inspired by this cold/sinus infection that I've been fighting all week. The deep-colored fruits and veggies are packed with nutrients and antioxidants that will help your body fight off illness. The challenge for this week is to eat at least 3 servings of deep-colored fruits/veggies each day. Some examples: carrots, sweet potato, spinach, kale, broccoli, blueberries, strawberries, tomatoes, plums... YUM!