Ravenclaw Common Room

Options

Replies

• kellyisloved
    kellyisloved Posts: 441 Member
    Options
    Very sorry for being so absent. Having some laptop/internet problems, but I should be on regularly soon!
  • momofJandA
    momofJandA Posts: 1,038 Member
    Options
    trying to resist the Girl Scout cookie temptation- my step dad bought us 5 boxes (thin mints, tagalongs, dosidos) and I put them above the cabiniets so that if I want them I actually have to climb on the counter to get them- hopefully that will work- when they are easy to reach they are "easy" so the harder I make them to reach mayber the less likely I will be to eat them :huh: maybe . . . so far so good though- only had 3 on Monday

Good run this morning- great ab work last night (reg. plank: 1:15 side planks: 30sec each side and 100 bicycle crunches)
  • LordBezoar
    LordBezoar Posts: 625 Member
    Options
    gah... I'm still drained from our "vacation". Methinks I need a real vacation...
  • datenshi
    datenshi Posts: 840 Member
    Options
    Welcome to the middle of the week Ravenclaws! I hope you have all had a good week so far and the rest of the week is even better. :flowerforyou:

It's Wednesday which is my longest day where I work both jobs. The part time job (Civilian Instructor with an Air Cadet Squadron) though goes from September to the middle of June so only a few more weeks of that one. It is the 70th anniversary of the squadron so than Annual Review is a much bigger deal this year which means more work. Next year we have a new Commanding Officer who is big on providing training not just for cadets but for staff too so that means I will get some official training in what I am doing. I am definitely looking forward to that. Plus I won't just be doing office work, I will also be running the effective speaking team and developing a web site for them. Woot!

One of the reasons I want to get fit and lose weight is so that I can apply to the Officer Cadet training program which has a demanding physical activity portion to it.

Take care,
    Datenshi
  • kellyisloved
    Options
    Happy Wednesday, Ravenclaws!

Let's do something together. Tell me something brilliant someone has said about your progress recently (or if you haven't had any recent compliments, tell me about a victory or something brilliant you've noticed about yourself). I want to hear/see some happiness! :flowerforyou:
  • korkster
    korkster Posts: 181 Member
    Options
    @datenshi... are you with Civil Air Patrol?

Something good. Hmm... well, people have started to "ask" if I've lost weight. Which is interesting to me because after 65 pounds I'm like "duh" mentally. But, I'm watching my progress and they're not so I let it slide.

I think I will be excited when that stop "asking" and start "telling" me that I've lost weight. Then I'll know it's noticeable. :)
  • kellyisloved
    Options
    I think sometimes people notice, they just feel awkward saying it rather than asking. Actually, I just did that today. There was a guy on my old team who had been losing weight as well, and I saw him today and noticed that he really looked smaller. I asked him if he'd lost more weight, although I thought it pretty obvious.

Maybe next time I'll just tell him I noticed :)

Awesome that they're noticing enough to ask about it, though! Good for you! And congrats on your 65! :drinker:
  • lottee1000
    lottee1000 Posts: 447 Member
    Options
    Datenshi, your job sounds pretty cool, do you enjoy it?

Hmm, something good which has happened! I have found in the last two weeks, lots of people have suddenly noticed I've lost weight. Mainly friends, which is awesome, but it's their job to be nice to me. But the other day, one of my bosses, who is an absolute d&*k, gruffly said 'you look great by the way, really trim', which was awesome! He's been my boss three years and it's the only compliment I've ever had from him, so it meant a lot!

Another one is that I bought clothes from the market recently. This might not sound amazing, but I live in Thailand. The average size of a Thai woman is a UK 6, which i think is a US 4. A UK 12 is considered XXL. Being a UK 16, (US 14) until recently, I've very, very rarely been able to buy clothes here. And in Thailand, it's not considered rude to comment on weight, so in the past I've had comments from shop assistants along the lines of 'no fat clothes here', 'you're too big for these clothes' and 'you're too fat'. Those comments hurt! And they're very common. But in the past week I've bought a few normal Thai clothes, had no comments and even asked for a smaller size on one stall! Woot!

In other news, I am struggling with exercise at the moment. In the gym on Tuesday I had to stop after twenty minutes on the elliptical because I thought I was going to faint. I hadn't eaten much so I presumed it was a lack of carbs. But yesterday I got very dizzy during a run and had to stop again. I'd eaten potato and tuna an hour before, so I really doubt it was food based. Same thing happened again during circuit training today. I've now decided it's either hyponatremia or low blood pressure. For the hyponatremia I'm going to try and increase the amount of sodium in my diet probably through isotonic sports drinks, and not drink as much water (hyponatremia is lack of sodium, usually due to too much water diluting it), as I typically drink about 14 cups a day, so cutting back won't hurt. Hopefully that won't help because I've no idea what to do about low blood pressure! Have any of you guys ever experienced anything like this? If so, any advice?

Wow this is an essay! I'll stop now!
  • datenshi
    Options
    @korkster @lottee - While technically the job is under the Department of Defense, it is way down the echelon and is part of the Cadet program which includes Army Cadets, Sea Cadets, and Air Cadets. From the web site: "The Cadet Program is the largest federally-sponsored youth program in Canada that includes the Royal Canadian Sea, Army and Air Cadets. It is a national program for young Canadians aged 12 to 18 who are interested in participating in a variety of fun, challenging and rewarding activities while learning about the sea, army and air activities of the Canadian Forces." They have cadets in the U.S. as well.

I am a Civilian Instructor which means I am employed by the Cadets but I am not an officer (which I would like to become). My work this year and last year was as an Admin Assistant in the office but next year I will also be teaching and running the effective speaking team. I am excited for it and love what I do. I love the impact being a cadet has on the youth and how they develop.

My full time job is as a Tech/Computer Support Analayst for my Regional Goverment. I enjoy that too but it isn't quite as rewarding.
  • datenshi
    Options
    @lottee - I have low blood pressure as well and frequently get dizzy spells. It is one of my concerns about losing weight because when I was a teen and skinny, I used to faint a lot. I am worried that will start happening again. Right now my average is about 94/60. When I was giving birth to my kids the doctor had to inject me with something to increase my blood pressure since it dropped dangerously low. It might be finding the right balance of sodium for yourself as you mentioned but I would consult a doctor or dietician as well.
  • stablesong
    stablesong Posts: 224
    Options
    I'm taking a few weeks off from weighing. I'm getting majorly stressed from constant unexplained gain on top of prom/graduation stuff I've had going on and this week I pretty much just lost it/gave up. I've been over or just not logged almost every day this week and it sucks to feel so out of control. I'll resume weighing myself in a couple of weeks. :(
  • LordBezoar
    Options
    Well, I hope we see you sooner, rather than later!
  • momofJandA
    Options
    @stablesong- sorry to hear about the scale giving you stress. I completely understand and keep telling myself that the scale doesn't matter, etc. but in all honesty I am on it at least once a day and usually more. Good for you for actually having the self restraint and self knowledge to know when to back away :flowerforyou:

I got a compliment yesterday from a coworker that works on another floor so I don't see him often. We both happened to be in the copy room at the same time and he said, "Wow, how many kids do you have now? 2?" I answered, "Yep a 4 year old little boy and a 2 year old little girl." His response was: "well let me just say you look amazing for having 2 kids, hell you look great for having 0 kids"
    Put a little wiggle in my walk for the rest of the day :blushing:
    And although this really isn't a compliment, I got 2 friend requests from guys in 1 day- I know they requested my because they are runners too, but it always makes me think "hey they think I'm cute" (I feel like Rudolph in the cartoon- "she thinks I'm cuute!"
  • srp2011
    srp2011 Posts: 1,829 Member
    Options
    Hi Everyone,

I can't say anyone has commented on my progress (except my mother, and that doesn't count), but I did try on a pair of pants that were loose last year, but still wearable. They basically fell off :-) Then I tried on some shorts and jeans that I thought were too tight, and was surprised to discover they fit (the jeans were snug, and I still need to lose 2-3 more pounds for them to be comfy, but the shorts all fit well). So those were nice surprises, and I have a new wardrobe, which is great because its the bottoms I desperately need :-)

I'm headed out for a conference tomorrow morning, gone through Tuesday, and this will be a challenge - I'll be doing plenty of walking, but finding healthy food is going to be tough. I think my goal will be to stay away from junk food, and if I go over, at least do it on 'real' food. then again, it may be such a pain to find food that I don't eat much at all, which I tend to do when traveling abroad.
  • brittlynn07
    brittlynn07 Posts: 386 Member
    Options
    I just got back from a Luke Bryan concert! It was awesome but now I can't hear.
  • momofJandA
    Options
    So I made a personal goal to run 100 miles in June . . . I'm a bit worried about not reaching it so I figured the more accountablity the better right? So here ya go- only did 2 miles today because Little Miss woke up at 5:15am and just had to be held for 2 hours. Oh well, I probably needed the cuddle time as much as she did :flowerforyou:

exercise.png
  • datenshi
    Options
    @srp2011 - Congrats on your victory!!! I can't wait for that to start happening to me... unless I am at work, in which case I don't want my pants falling off. ;)

AFM - I wanted to go hiking again this weekend but it is pouring down buckets of rain today so the trails will be too muddy. I guess that means a nice relaxing weekend. I was invited to a Wedding Shower for Sunday but the wedding is in a couple of weeks and I can't afford two big presents in one month since we live on a hand-to-mouth budget.

Well I hope you all have an amazing weekend! :flowerforyou:

Datenshi
  • LordBezoar
    Options
    Is it Friday again? Wow...
  • CivicSista
    CivicSista Posts: 459 Member
    Options
    So I made a personal goal to run 100 miles in June . . . I'm a bit worried about not reaching it so I figured the more accountablity the better right? So here ya go- only did 2 miles today because Little Miss woke up at 5:15am and just had to be held for 2 hours. Oh well, I probably needed the cuddle time as much as she did :flowerforyou:

That is an awesome goal. I want to start running again. I started the C25K program a couple times now but never finished it. Maybe June will be my month.
  • korkster
    korkster Posts: 181 Member
    Options
    Morning all!

Today, with the start of June, I'm taking public transportation to work. And with that comes walking. I walked my daily goal of 5,000 steps by 8:30am. :bigsmile: June is going to be a good month.

Not sure the scales will be kind to me this weekend. I went out a few times this week, and even though I stayed close to my daily caloric allowance, my schedule is off. It's okay, though, because I'm going to kick booty with the commuting thing.