Metabolism in Your 40's

Options
13»

Replies

• catpow2
    catpow2 Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    I also never tried to lose weight until recently in my 40s--I was always pretty thin--so I don't know if this would have necessarily been easier previously. I've gained some weight mainly by not making good dietary choices--I been exercising all along, but I now find that I can't eat and drink like I did in my 20s and 30s so it's caught up to me over the past 2-3 years. My calorie intake has been pretty low since I started tracking on MFP and I will say that I bet 10-15 years I would have seen more progress a lot faster if I had been restricting calories like this. I think we just have to be more strict (unfortunately) in dietary choices most of the time in order to maintain (and/or lose) as we grow older. That doesn't mean we can't eat that piece of cake from time to time, but then we'll need to eat grilled chicken and salad the next day. 40 is still young enough to exercise hard and really push ourselves and cardio and weight training help increase metabolism (the more muscle you have, the more calories you get to eat to maintain it) so the biggest challenge (I think) is just being disciplined more consistently--and I got to be skinny for the first 40 years of my life so maybe I should be thankful for that!
  • auntliz123
    Options
    i'm 43 and remember being told 'wait till you turn 40...it'll be so hard to lose weight'. swear to god - the second i turned 40 and BAM it's soooo much harder. i remember being able to lose weight with minimal effort now it's like monumentally difficult and the weight loss is so slow! for what it's worth, the thing that's been working for me as of late is having smaller and more frequent meals. i have 2 or 3 100 calorie or so snacks throughout the day and that seems to help. it certainly helps me to not feel starved and deprived all the time which is the diet philosophy i've subscribed to all of my adult life. oh and just for extra fun did i mention i married a man 8 years younger who has a physical job who can drop 5 pounds in a week by leaving cheese off his burger? sigh. thanks for the support everyone! it helps so much to know there are so many out there going through the same thing!
  • auntliz123
    Options
    I am 41 and def feeling it is slower to lose weight. I am trying to keep a daily exercise schedule, or at least 5 days a week..and of corse eating better, and staying away from the wine!! I too have a husband that is 2 years younger and drops weight at the thought of it, so I know your pain!!! I am trying to keep up with him...lol!
  • lking125
    lking125 Posts: 25
    Options
    I have to say yep the older you get the slower your metabolism, I have been watching my calories even down to the tootsie roll and smarties (last night - emotional eating - up until 2:30am) and I have actually gained a pound - how is that even possible. I am probably going to have to go on low carb again, only thing that seems to work for me.

I hate this. I am glad for these boards - atleast people can understand, instead of saying - oh you look fine, blah blah blah.
  • lking125
    Options
    My goal right now is to purchase a heart rate monitor, very important, get in your zone and then intervals inbetween. Maybe that will help. I work out basically everyday. Haven't been to the gym in a while, kids in school, running around to sporting events, husband working afternoons every other month and working full time. I have a ton of videos, weights, treadmill, bike so I do that. I am also thinking about another jump rope.
  • lking125
    Options
    Menopause, ugh, can't even stand the word, I have friends who have gone through it and they said same thing lose it now or you will have that plus 10.
  • lking125
    Options
    I wish I liked to run, hate it. My 15 year old actually said I was too old to get back down to 135. She told me some of her friends weigh that and someone my age shouldnt. Wow, hit the floor on that one. (as bad as the husband saying just accept it, you are going to get bigger) ..... HELP
  • joepat21
    joepat21 Posts: 13
    Options
    I remember noticing a change in my metabolism back when I turned 30. I stopped working out for a while and got complacent and all of a sudden I was turning 39 and in the worst shape of my life. I made a commitment to myself that by age 40 I would be in the best shape of my life. I trained hard and ate well and I accomplished that goal. I'll be 42 in May and I can honestly say that ever since I made the commitment to myself I've continued to get healthier, leaner and stronger. I can't say that I'm the strongest I've ever been but I'm certainly that healthiest. I have not noticed a change in metabolism since the time I turned 30. Hopefully I can continue at this pace for a while. If you commit to making the change, any biological changes can be overcome with hard work and discipline. Good luck to all in your quest for healthy living.
  • renkath
    renkath Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    I have friends who have gone through it and they said same thing lose it now or you will have that plus 10.

I hate it when women discourage each other like that. I think it is a way to excuse themselves from trying. And if you don't, you will reinforce their excuses. They need you to buy into that. Women long into middle age have gotten in shape.

As for husbands... yeah, they have their reasons for discouraging us, too. (So do our daughters).

Look at Rita Moreno, who is still dancing in at nearly 80 - strong and fabulous. Look at Diane Nyad swimming around the clock (literally) into her 60s... There are wonderful women who have gone through menopause without thinking it meant they had passed a point of no return - to be strong, sexy, agile etc. etc. etc. I think we are the crap we buy when it comes to "conventional wisdom". :)
  • rachel264
    rachel264 Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    Yes me to. but i was hurt at work and gained 45 pounds, and i can only do so much.
  • motzy9866
    motzy9866 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I too have the same problem. I get so envious of my husband who can drop like 20lbs in six months and I am still only maintaining my weight. I was also given the same warnings when I was young about your metabolism slowing down and didn't really pay much attention either. I never really had a weight problem growing up except for the typical 5 lbs us girls always wanted to lose but now that I am older I can't believe how my weight has turned out.
  • Stpjudge
    Stpjudge Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    I miss the days from my 20's where I could lose a pound a day. **Sigh** Now I struggle to lose a pound a week! It's payback I guess.
  • PamL66
    PamL66 Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    I was also thinner when I was younger. I hit 40 and the weight started creeping on. I've gained 20-25 lbs (not sure, I never weighed myself when I was younger) over the last 5 or 6 years and I want to lose that.
  • jeniley65
    jeniley65 Posts: 35
    Options
    Mine slowed too but in someways that was a good thing when I started to exercise but had to adjust my eating habits. Less fat, smaller portions, more frequent has been working for me.
    It was a mental challenge getting to this comfortable level though for about 2 years.
  • spinqueen72
    spinqueen72 Posts: 406 Member
    Options
    I was exactly like you!!! (Although, no hysterectomy)
    I actually became anemic & hypoglycemic! It sucks!!
    When I don't eat...my ear just starts "roaring", and I get lightheaded & dizzy! I've also been known to end up with massive migraines & sick to my stomach, if my blood sugars get too low!
    It's weird...but something I must deal with everyday!
  • nitrogen_widget
    nitrogen_widget Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    I gained weight in my 20's, lost it the wrong way & gained even more back in my 30's.
    Since about 38 got it off the right way & kept it off & now at 40 i'm looking to see how lean I can get.

But man, people the same weight as me but 10yrs younger are losing fat on 1,000 calories a day more than me. :(
    That kinda sucks.
    So yeah i'd say my metabolism is slower.
    Or those younger guys just a lot more active than me in their day-to-day.
  • chris2365
    chris2365 Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    I want to be the opposite - better off in my 40s than ever before. I was heavy all my life (childhood on). About 5 years ago, I lost most of the excess weight but derailed myself during a stressful time (opening my husband's restaurant, his sudden passing 5 days before opening - not fun). But I'm picking myself up, dusting myself off, and getting back on track.

I am officially, this month, in menopause and you know what? Maybe I won't have the hormonal surges that make me ravenous. I've also been very anemic all of my life and now that should improve. I am currently looking for a regular GP so that I can get some numbers run. I've been blessed by the genes fairy (very low blood pressure, low cholesterol, etc.), but I still need to check in with a doc I guess!

Anyway, my focus now is strength training. If I'm wearing the right sizes and have the right numbers (heart rate, blood pressure, etc.), I don't care what the scale says. Strong people live longer - period. Plus all that muscle burns calories 24/7.

One of the biggest reasons our metabolisms slow down as we get older is that we've lost muscle mass. But that's something in my control. Plus, I just feel better mentally if I'm consistent with strength training.
  • motzy9866
    motzy9866 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I completely agree. I am in my mid 40's and it seems that no matter how hard I work I always seem to maintain. I sometimes feel like I have mastered the maintaining aspect of my weight but my body seems to fight me pound for pound when it comes to losing. It is hard to not get discouraged but when I read other people's success stories that are around my age I know it will eventually work. Just trying to stay focused. Dam the speedy metabolism - wish those days were back.
  • Z_I_L_L_A
    Z_I_L_L_A Posts: 2,399 Member
    Options
    Even saying this makes me feel old! I remember being told, "Your metabolism will slow down when you get older", and I always blew it off. Now, here I am!

Exactly! We never thought it would happen to us!

My metabolism changed because of how I ate not because I'm getting older. I eat 5 smaller meals a day and its kicked my metabolism back into gear.
  • ctalimenti
    ctalimenti Posts: 865 Member
    Options
    Our metabolism slows but not as much as we think. I am 49 and I burn 300 less cals per day than a 20 yr old.

Here's the rough part. 300 cals per day doesn't sound like a lot but in one month that's 9,000 calories or about 3 lbs. In one year, about 30 lbs so see how it adds up?