Stage 3

Options

Replies

• lhergenr
    lhergenr Posts: 242 Member
    Options
    I have those days too, where I'm just not feeling it at all. I get to the gym and sit in my car for ten minutes thinking about just driving back home. But I always make myself since it's a 15 mile drive and it'd be a total waste of gas haha.

Well today was my first day of stage 3, I actually quite liked it. I was kind of scared because I was browsing this thread and it seems like a lot of people aren't crazy about it. Who knows..Probably half way through the stage I'll be bored of it too, that's what happened with stage 2. I didn't do any of the jumping moves for the BWM because my knees were already kind of bothering me. Overall it was a great workout, took about 65 minutes. I really need to get a HRM! I'm really curious how much I'm actually burning for these workouts.
  • kmsairam
    kmsairam Posts: 317 Member
    Options
    perfect10isha - I wasn't feeling Stage 3 either, but today I had a good B workout and I might be coming around. So I say: Do your last two workouts! You'll be glad you did. Up your weights and take full rests. I pushed myself a little today and was seriously sweating.

lhergenr - welcome to Stage 3!! Glad you liked it. I like the B workout better because it includes a deadlift AND I do not like the jump lunges in the A workout. I cannot do them. It annoys me because I can do most things, but my knees are gettin' old.

Today I made some modifications: I added a 10lb plate to my back extensions (still seemed kind of easy) and I held a 10lb medicine ball doing the single-leg squat from a bench. I also did the YTWL move correctly -- after re-reading the book, I realized you're supposed to do all reps of each, so 6 Ys, 6 Ts, etc. I think I'll be done with this stage next week. I need to double check...
  • perfect10isha
    perfect10isha Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    Thanks kmsairam for the encouragement. I actually got myself into the gym yesterday and did my last A workout. I upped my weights on everything and really tried to push myself. So once I was done I felt accomplished. I'm going to see if I can find the time to squeeze in the last B workout over the holiday weekend so I can start next week in stage 4. I have a tendency to phone it in once I've been in a routine for a while so I definately need to find my workout 'mojo' again and complete each stage. Its really important to me to complete the entire program because I haven't stuck with any program for longer than 2-3 months. So this is definately a test of mental toughness/determination for me. I'm working towards body recomp and I know that it doesn't happen in a short amount of time so I just need to be patient and trust that the program is working and all the moves are beneficial... no matter how awkward some of them are, lol.
  • DrMAvDPhD
    DrMAvDPhD Posts: 2,097 Member
    Options
    Finished Stage 3 on Sunday, here are my results to date :-)

4%2520mo%2520progress%2520back.jpg
  • lhergenr
    Options
    Ow owww! Good job! I've taken before and after pics but there really isn't much difference between them yet. You and I have very similar body types, I started out around 133 as well and have been floating between 128 and 131 for the past month or so.
  • DrMAvDPhD
    Options
    Ow owww! Good job! I've taken before and after pics but there really isn't much difference between them yet. You and I have very similar body types, I started out around 133 as well and have been floating between 128 and 131 for the past month or so.

My biggest change was just from beginning to month one! And I hadn't lost any weight at all. Sadly, I haven't fallen in love with lifting, just the results, so the pictures really keep me going.
  • kmsairam
    Options
    wow, those are amazing results!!!!

I can't believe you haven't fallen in love with lifting though! :( I'm addicted to it now!
  • lhergenr
    Options
    ^ditto! I have my off weeks but I definitely NEED to lift now.
  • heatherloveslifting
    heatherloveslifting Posts: 1,428 Member
    Options

You look awesome! I'm halfway through stage 3 and hating workout A :D. Thank you for the extra motivation!
  • livlovra
    livlovra Posts: 139 Member
    Options

Mavd you look great. I started Stage 3 this morning - bit of a shock after stage 2 which I felt didn't really push me.
  • AprilRenewed
    AprilRenewed Posts: 691 Member
    Options
    mavd - you look fantastic! I, also, can't believe you haven't fallen in love with lifting! I fell in love the moment I did my first squat! LOL

I start Stage 3 today!
  • AprilRenewed
    Options
    hey melissa, I workout at home as well, I do back extension on the swiss ball.

Just look up back extension on swiss ball on youtube :happy: :happy:

Thanks Girlie this makes alot of sense!!! Im so happy that I can do the back extension now! woo-hoo!

Yes! I'm excited too! I was so disappointed when he didn't mention a home alteration for it. LOL
  • DrMAvDPhD
    Options
    mavd - you look fantastic! I, also, can't believe you haven't fallen in love with lifting! I fell in love the moment I did my first squat! LOL

I start Stage 3 today!

Lol I must be a freak but I hate every second of it. I did fall in love with the HIIT though. That should count for something!
  • AprilRenewed
    Options
    Okay, so my thoughts on 3/A:

I thought the snatches were fun and not quite as difficult as I thought they'd be. I did 20lb DBs, but I think I'll try 25 next time.

Bent-over rows, I started where I left off in Stage 1 (80) but upped to 85.

I loved the one-legged DLs! LOVED! Did 20s. May try 25 next time.

Bench Press - 20DB

Dumbbell Single-Arm Overhead Squats were very awkward at first. But by the 3rd set, I felt better. I did 10s/20s.

Planks - first one was 100 seconds! Then down to 70, then up to 90 lol

Reverse Wood Chop, I did 2 sets at 20lbs but then did 15 on the last set and had much more control.

BWM I did about 2:45 the first time and 2:23 the second time. I can't believe I did the second one faster, but I didn't have to pause quite as much as on the first time! Weird.

I LOVED IT!
  • kmsairam
    Options
    I finished Stage 3 on Wed. WOOO! Welcome April and I'm glad you like it so far. I didn't at first, then it turned into indifference.

Here are my final stats:

Workout A
    One-armed DB Snatch 22.5 --> 30
    DB Single Leg Romanian DL 22.5 --> 17.5 I did not "get" this exercise. I lowered my weights by the end and I'm not even sure why. I just felt like I got nothing out of this exercise; adding weights didn't make it harder.
    Barbell Bent-Over Row 60 --> 95
    DB Single Arm Overhead Squat 15/32.5 --> 17/35
    DB Incline Bench Press 25 --> 32.5
    Plank 90 sec --> 90 (I actually went down to 60 and 75 by accident; totally forgot to aim for 90. But I can do 90 pretty solidly)
    Reverse Woodchop 32.5 no change. I started off too heavy here, so 32.5 was always hard by the 2nd set.
    BWM 3:12 --> 2:29

Workout B
    BB Romanian DL 85 (65, 75, 85 first workout) --> 100
    Partial Single Leg Squat BW --> 12 lb med ball (probably should have used DBs or a BB here... had a hard time balancing for this one and I used the weight bench)
    Wide Grip Lat Pulldown 100 --> 120
    YTWL 10 --> 10 I might have been able to eek out 12 lbs on my last workout, but this one was tough for me
    Back Extension BW --> 25 lb plate
    Swiss Ball Crunch -- 10lb med ball whole time; I varied the reps depending on how I felt. Usually did 12-15 reps per set
    Prone Jackknife - YES I CHOSE THIS - 8-10 reps per set. I didn't push myself on this one.
    Prone Cobra 90 sec - don't like this. It's uncomfortable
    HIIT - treadmill 3.4 walking/7.2-7.4 running --> 3.4 w/2.5 incline/7.4-7.8. LOVE HIIT!!! :)

Overall: I did not push myself in some areas as I should have and completely slacked in other areas. I skipped the 2nd BWM twice and a few times forgot my planks and prone cobras were supposed to be 90 not 60 sec (I can do 90, but again - laziness and not being diligent about the workout). I did feel overall that by the end, planks were feeling easier -- not EASY, but much easier than the first time I ever did one. I'm SO ready for Stage 4.

Peace out!
  • AprilRenewed
    Options
    Tonight, I do Stage 3/B, but I have a problem. For YTWL, I have a bench, but the metal on the sides get in the way. Does that make sense? I can't do the T. I may not be able to do the W or L. Any suggestions?
  • MrsAgi
    MrsAgi Posts: 338 Member
    Options
    Hello all. I'll be starting stage 3 on Monday, so lurking this weekend;)

I had a very quick run through of the A moves yesterday, and can really feel it in my legs today! I think this stage is going to be tough!

Not at all sure about my form for the squats... I'm assuming I should still be trying to keep my knees behind my feet? The heavier weight really pulled me forward when going down:/ should I go lighter?
  • jhgreer
    jhgreer Posts: 145
    Options
    Hello all. I'll be starting stage 3 on Monday, so lurking this weekend;)

I had a very quick run through of the A moves yesterday, and can really feel it in my legs today! I think this stage is going to be tough!

Not at all sure about my form for the squats... I'm assuming I should still be trying to keep my knees behind my feet? The heavier weight really pulled me forward when going down:/ should I go lighter?

I'm starting today too! And reading all these posts is scaring me! :) I seriously disliked stage 2 so I'm hoping I'm one of the ones that likes stage 3. Good luck!
  • MrsAgi
    MrsAgi Posts: 338 Member
    Options
    Well, I survived my first 3A - although I wasn't sure I was going to during it! Wow that was hard work! Especially the body weight bit at the end which looked easy when I read it in the book!

I still can't plank anywhere near 90secs..... and I still don't like the woodchop thing - not sure if I don't do it right but I just don't get it and don't feel it...
  • livlovra
    livlovra Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    S3A2 done - it is still a killer but can actually walk compared with the day after A1!

April I have no idea how you managed to get through the BW matrix at the end. I have yet to complete it once let alone twice. My legs just give out on me with the jump lunges. They also make me feel really unstable.

Haven't been for a serious run for the last couple of weeks as my running partner was busy but we did a really good 5km this morning so feeling really good and going to try and get 3 gym sessions in this week.