Stage 3

Options

Replies

• holleysings
    holleysings Posts: 664 Member
    Options
    What weights are you using on one arm overhead squat? I really like that one, pushes me, you know. I've been doing 20 low and 15 overhead. I have a much tougher time holding my left arm up though for sure, I almost lost it and crashed my coffee table today.

Ummmm...embarrassed to say 8's or 10's..I find that my squat form is crappy when I do them....my knees go over my toes rather than my butt going back....maybe because I'm not very flexible...??? Annoying.

What do you mean 20 low? 15 overhead? Glad you missed your coffee table. I'm always worried about dropping the dumbell on the first move...

I do 30lb dumbell on the first move (snatch?), 15lbs on single leg deadlift and 25lbs on incline chest press.

Please, I just moved UP to 7.5lbs overhead because my left shoulder has problems. So..don't feel so bad! We all have our weak body parts.
  • lhergenr
    lhergenr Posts: 242 Member
    Options

What do you mean 20 low? 15 overhead? Glad you missed your coffee table. I'm always worried about dropping the dumbell on the first move...
    You're supposed to hold a weight overhead that's 2x heavier than the one you're holding "low". That's what she means by low and overhead. I've been doing 7.5 and 15 pounds.

I am SO far behind though. My workouts for this stage have been so spaced out due to being out of town, getting sick, being snowed in, and the holidays. It's been about two weeks since my last workout!! But I'm making myself go tonight and will be doing 3A (I think!)
  • CanGirl40
    CanGirl40 Posts: 379 Member
    Options

You're supposed to hold a weight overhead that's 2x heavier than the one you're holding "low". That's what she means by low and overhead. I've been doing 7.5 and 15 pounds.

I am SO far behind though. My workouts for this stage have been so spaced out due to being out of town, getting sick, being snowed in, and the holidays. It's been about two weeks since my last workout!! But I'm making myself go tonight and will be doing 3A (I think!)

OMG, I'm an idiot. I forgot we were supposed to be holding one low in the other hand...LOL!!!!!
  • Emtabo01
    Emtabo01 Posts: 672
    Options
    Just to clarify, the heavy weight is low between your legs and the lighter weight is the one over your head. The above post has it backwards I think.
  • Emtabo01
    Options
    What are you guys feeling as far as results you've been seeing? I'm three workouts into stage 3 and I'm liking what I'm seeing in my arms and legs, but I want better results in my belly! I could always improve my diet, too many sweets especially this month, but in general, how's everyone in this stage feeling with results in those specific areas?
  • CanGirl40
    Options
    Just to clarify, the heavy weight is low between your legs and the lighter weight is the one over your head. The above post has it backwards I think.

OK, so the "lower" weight is the higher position...got it! Thanks for the clarification. I probably would have done the opposite. Workout A isn't until Wednesday again for me - week 3....

Did 3B today for the second time...really not a fan....especially all the YTML...back extension,...cobra, etc. Bleh.

As for body configuration, I'd love to say my belly has changed but not really. Then again, I've gained about 5 pounds in December due to my indulgences. However, I definitely like my arms and quads these days....I know my belly won't ever be flat again (3 kids!) but hoping I don't look pregnant for too much longer!:ohwell:
  • lhergenr
    lhergenr Posts: 242 Member
    Options
    Oops yeah that's what I meant!

And to answer your other post, out of those parts my legs are definitely showing the most definition/change. I see a slight difference in my arms and tummy. I might take pictures today to compare to the ones I took when I started. I should note that I've really been slacking in this stage. I don't do the body weight matrix, I've only done the HIIT a couple of times, and I always skip doing prone cobra.
  • suelegal
    suelegal Posts: 1,282 Member
    Options
    What weights are you using on one arm overhead squat? I really like that one, pushes me, you know. I've been doing 20 low and 15 overhead. I have a much tougher time holding my left arm up though for sure, I almost lost it and crashed my coffee table today.

Ummmm...embarrassed to say 8's or 10's..I find that my squat form is crappy when I do them....my knees go over my toes rather than my butt going back....maybe because I'm not very flexible...??? Annoying.

I do 30lb dumbell on the first move (snatch?), 15lbs on single leg deadlift and 25lbs on incline chest press.

Please, I just moved UP to 7.5lbs overhead because my left shoulder has problems. So..don't feel so bad! We all have our weak body parts.

I think this particular move does not lend itself to very heavy lifting, nor do a few other moves. I do 15/30 and struggle with form, but not so much that I want to drop down in weight. It's hard to squat back with that weight overhead. My trainer says hold it off your shoulder a bit and back, and it helps me keep the proper form. And I only use 5# on YTWL and body weight on the one leg squat. The rest of the workouts are decent, but I have made some changes to make the extensions, crunches and flexions more challenging and I've added pushups to the B workout. BUT, I still haven't been able to do more than a single BWM and I nearly collapse at that. My planks however, have improved and I am TRYING to pick up legs or arms or do them in pushup position.

Oh and I haven't seen a bunch of change, but certainly my love handles have gone down. No weight loss, but I'm not hardly using the scale right now. I am definitely feeling stronger though.
  • Emtabo01
    Options
    ^^ What's a BWM? Am I dumb for not knowing this?
  • suelegal
    Options
    body weight matrix. It's the torture that is the last exercise of Stage 3A
  • Emtabo01
    Options
    Oh ****, when I wrote out my workout onto the generic log form, I totally didn't even see that! I haven't even been doing them! I've done 4 workouts total, 2 A's, guess I'll start now, better late than never. I better go get my book and read up on what the specifics are. I feel even dumber now for not knowing. Doh.
  • Emtabo01
    Options
    Ha I guess that's the first time I cursed on MFP bc those stars were the s word. Haven't seen it do that before lol.
  • suelegal
    Options
    Oh ****, when I wrote out my workout onto the generic log form, I totally didn't even see that! I haven't even been doing them! I've done 4 workouts total, 2 A's, guess I'll start now, better late than never. I better go get my book and read up on what the specifics are. I feel even dumber now for not knowing. Doh.

:laugh: wait 'til you try them! FYI, instead of using a generic form, check out www.werkit.com - once you sign up you can download complete logs for each stage. It's so much easier than writing them all in. After I'm finished with a stage I transfer the info to my spreadsheet so I can track my improvement.
  • CanGirl40
    Options
    Thanks for the link!! I will definitely be printing those forms off! Thanks suelegal!:smile:
  • Emtabo01
    Options
    Holy crap, the BWM is insane! I completed the whole thing like it said, no breaks in the middle, but wow, just wow. Is there anywhere in the book it talks about the specific form of the jump squats or lunges, I didn't see anything so I just used my best judgement, but wanted to make sure.
  • Emtabo01
    Options
    And Happy New Year's to everyone!
  • suelegal
    Options
    Holy crap, the BWM is insane! I completed the whole thing like it said, no breaks in the middle, but wow, just wow. Is there anywhere in the book it talks about the specific form of the jump squats or lunges, I didn't see anything so I just used my best judgement, but wanted to make sure.

Told ya... ain't no joke huh? Especially AFTER planks!

Here's Minda's video of her BWM. I do them this way too.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XL436C5dmhc

I did A today too, 3 sets and I am really happy with how hard I worked. I increased the DB snatch, and the 1pt deadlift - and my balance is better too. I stayed the same on everything else, but really feel like I worked hard on all of sets but adding that 3rd set really makes a huge difference. And can I just say that I really hate planks. Ok, I know they work, but I REALLY hate planks!
  • CanGirl40
    Options
    Funny, I can do planks no problem but some of those other moves. Bleh. The BMW I always take a quick rest between the two "jump" exercises to catch my breath! Tomorrow I plan on putting in an extra 20 minutes of cardio to start undoing some of this December damage....

Am I supposed to do 3 sets now? I'm starting week 3 tomorrow...
  • CanGirl40
    Options
    Wait a second...I just thought for a second...I've been doing 3 all along...? Duh.
  • suelegal
    Options
    Funny, I can do planks no problem but some of those other moves. Bleh. The BMW I always take a quick rest between the two "jump" exercises to catch my breath! Tomorrow I plan on putting in an extra 20 minutes of cardio to start undoing some of this December damage....

Am I supposed to do 3 sets now? I'm starting week 3 tomorrow...

I started with 2 sets, but went up to 3 sets (3rd is optional). My last 2 As & Bs will be 3 sets

oh yea and I'm so freaking sore today!