Stage 3

Options

Replies

• CanGirl40
    CanGirl40 Posts: 379 Member
    Options
    Sue - good that you're sore...must be working!

I did 3A today and it was SO much better...OMG, the single arm squat was sooo much easier with a lower weight to balance out the top weight. No wonder I was struggling so much! hahaha It was awkward with just the one weight.

RE: the body weight matrix - I was able to do round one in 3:30 and round two in 3:40. My goal is to get under 3 minutes by the end of the stage.

I also upped my dumbbell deadlifts to 20# and my row to 55#.

Added another 20 minutes of spinning as punishment for all the crap I ate on NYE! lol
  • jhgreer
    jhgreer Posts: 145
    Options
    I did my second A workout on Monday...this stage is going to be the longest in history due to traveling for the holidays and being sick off and on. But I still love it! Considering both A workouts have been done after 10+ days with no lifting, both of them have killed me! The DOMS are ridiculous, and I didn't even do the BWM...planning to do it with HIIT today for my extra workout this week. I think I will probably do 5-6 workouts of each A & B during this stage since it's been spread out so much.

Sue, I'm with you on the planks. I'm so bad at them and hate them, but I can always feel it all over when I'm done. I'm nowhere close to 90 seconds, but hope to work up to it by the end of this stage.

I'm having trouble with the rows because of the very limited barbell weight selection in my gym at work. The curl bar is 20# and I have one set each of 5, 10, 25, 35, and 45 plates to work with. Unfortunately the only oly bar is on the smith machine. I'm at 50# now, but my next jump will be 70#. That's a pretty large gap! I've been doing 3 sets of 10 reps at 50# to build up to it. Maybe I'll try 70# at the end of my next workout, but it totally freaks me out!

Happy New Year everybody!
  • lhergenr
    lhergenr Posts: 242 Member
    Options
    How is your gym's dumbbell selection? Maybe you could use those for the bent over row.

I did 4A today and think I'll add atleast one extra a and b workout to this stage since I really slacked through the first half of the stage. I'm just now starting to push myself and want to give myself more time to increase weight on some moves. Or maybe I'm just not excited to do stage 4 since it's the same as stage 2 which I wasn't crazy about.
  • jhgreer
    Options
    How is your gym's dumbbell selection? Maybe you could use those for the bent over row.

I did 4A today and think I'll add atleast one extra a and b workout to this stage since I really slacked through the first half of the stage. I'm just now starting to push myself and want to give myself more time to increase weight on some moves. Or maybe I'm just not excited to do stage 4 since it's the same as stage 2 which I wasn't crazy about.

I think this is one of those "duh" moments for me. It never crossed my mind to do dumbbells. And I have a huge selection. Maybe being sick so much these last couple of months has fried my brain! Thanks!

I'm with you on dreading to move on to stage 4. I may just stay in 3 forever :)
  • jsextrasmooth
    jsextrasmooth Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    Happy New Year ladies!

Back from my holidays, had a wonderful Christmas and Birthday away skiing but now it's back to the routine and I'm back at work...boohoo! I've also put on 2kgs over the last 10 days despite not having gained or lost anything on this whole program so far - so that was a blow although I'm not surprised after eating so much rich hotel food and drinking lots of jagertee!

My hubby bought me some Marcy Bruce Lee adjustable dumbbells for Christmas, so I tried them tonight and started Stage 3 over, doing first A workout at home. Felt great working out at home after a long day at work, although I'll need to go to the gym to do the B workouts so I can use the BB and the lat pulldown.

Didn't do the BWM as I didn't fancy being crippled by DOMS so I may follow some of you other ladies and also do a few extra workouts in this stage to build up before the dreaded stage 4 lol
  • suelegal
    suelegal Posts: 1,282 Member
    Options

I did 2sets for the first 3 full workouts. But I'm glad I did because I could really get the form down, and moving to 3 sets is really fatiguing. And like some of you, I'm doing 5 repeats, not just the 4. I really really love this stage and hate the thought of moving back to Stage 2 ie Stage 4, but I will, and I think I'll be much better with the 1pt lifts this time. And, since I know it already, I'm going to start with 3 sets and push it hard. I didn't feel like I got much out of Stage 2, so I'm really determined to make 4 be worthwhile.

ETA:
    Happy New Year!! I didn't say that to y'all yet! I was in bed and asleep by 10. Yea, I'm old. that's my excuse! :laugh:
  • jhgreer
    Options

ETA:
    Happy New Year!! I didn't say that to y'all yet! I was in bed and asleep by 10. Yea, I'm old. that's my excuse! :laugh:

hahaha - I was asleep by 9 and I can't use being old as an excuse! I'll use my 3 year old and 19-month old as my excuse...staying up late isn't an option when I know they'll be up by 6am no matter what!
  • CanGirl40
    Options
    Am I the only one rang in the New Year? LOL Now that my kids are older, they sleep in!!! It's a whole new world let me tell ya!!!!

Ok, so did 3B today.....I really dislike this workout. I don't feel like it's doing much...OMG, I detest the YTWL...did the prone cobra ok....I dunno. There's just not a lot of heavy lifting I guess so I feel like I'm moving backwards...at least I only have one more to go before stage 4 (and I enjoyed stage 2 once I got into it!)

Adding a bit more cardio to my weeks to shed some of these extra Christmas pounds!
  • holleysings
    holleysings Posts: 664 Member
    Options
    Am I the only one rang in the New Year? LOL Now that my kids are older, they sleep in!!! It's a whole new world let me tell ya!!!!

Ok, so did 3B today.....I really dislike this workout. I don't feel like it's doing much...OMG, I detest the YTWL...did the prone cobra ok....I dunno. There's just not a lot of heavy lifting I guess so I feel like I'm moving backwards...at least I only have one more to go before stage 4 (and I enjoyed stage 2 once I got into it!)

Adding a bit more cardio to my weeks to shed some of these extra Christmas pounds!

I rang in the New Year alone on my couch with my dog. I was really sick, so I couldn't go to the party I wanted to go to! And my husband punked out and went to bed early. :ohwell:

I'll be doing 3B later too! I don't like the YTWL either. It's tricky for me because of my partially torn rotator cuff in my left shoulder. I'm just very careful and use light weights, but if I still struggle today, I may drop the exercise. Can't risk tearing it more and needing surgery!
  • jhgreer
    Options

Not that I want to wish away time with my kids, but I can't wait for the days when I have to drag them out of bed at noon on the weekends! :)

It's funny how we all prefer different stages. I haaaaaaaaated stage 2, and I'm dreading 4. I love 3, even the YTWL!
  • lhergenr
    lhergenr Posts: 242 Member
    Options
    I hate YTWL as well. Mainly just the "L" or cuban move-whatever it's called. I'm still just doing 5 lb dumbbells for this move which makes me feel like a wimp but crap that prone cuban is HARD! The one thing I AM looking forward to about moving to stage 4 is seeing how many pushups I can do now.
  • suelegal
    Options
    I started YTWL's with 2.5 and am finally using 5. It's not a workout designed for really heavy weights! It's supposed to strengthen your shoulders, and your rotator cuff and Holley, you probably shouldn't be doing these at all!

I really like prone cobras, I like flexing all my back, butt, hammies and triceps and really pulling up my core.

And I gotta say I really like this stage much more so than stage 2!
  • CanGirl40
    Options
    I've been doing YTWL with 7.5 or 8s! No wonder I hate them! I'm seriously going to drop down to 5s. My form was terrible at that weight. And I hate the angle on the ball - like my stomach/lungs are being crushed...

BTW, love those downloadable NROLWFW sheets on werkit.com. Love the layout and much better than my scribbles in a notepad!

After prone cobra the other day, my glutes were sore! I hadn't realized how much you have to squeeze your *kitten* on that move! LOL

I am lookiing forward to the scale heading south next week after TOM leaves. I am SO motivated!!!!
  • jsextrasmooth
    Options
    I saw in the New Year too :-) Had a Hawaiian party at my local pub complete with a bit of limbo and hula :bigsmile:

Completed my first B workout today and I love it! Saw a record number of ladies in the gym too, none of them went anywhere near the free weights though lol

I also much prefer Stage 3 and I'm glad to be back in the routine even if I am still eating left over Christmas treats!

I've been using the werkit spreadsheet uploaded to google docs so I can access it on my phone in the gym if I forget where I'm up to. It's been a great help.
  • livlovra
    livlovra Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    Back in the gym today and instead of moving on to stage 4 I decided I will do the last two workouts from stage 3 again as last time I has a bad knee so didn't really end on the high I wanted. But I kicked it today! Didn't have time to do the BWM but will try and get it in before bed. Whole30 day 1 is so far a success. And already made packed lunch for tomorrow!
  • holleysings
    holleysings Posts: 664 Member
    Options
    I started YTWL's with 2.5 and am finally using 5. It's not a workout designed for really heavy weights! It's supposed to strengthen your shoulders, and your rotator cuff and Holley, you probably shouldn't be doing these at all!

I really like prone cobras, I like flexing all my back, butt, hammies and triceps and really pulling up my core.

And I gotta say I really like this stage much more so than stage 2!

I've actually decided to put Stage 3 on hiatus until my shoulder is better. My new Chinese masseuse swears that she "can fix" with cupping therapy (basically acupuncture with suction involved.) And let me tell you, after one session, it is 50% better than it's been in YEARS. Still hurts, but dramatically less than before. So I'll be out until it's almost 100%! Sad, but I think best for me. I'll keep checking in on everyone else though!
  • jsextrasmooth
    Options
    I've actually decided to put Stage 3 on hiatus until my shoulder is better. My new Chinese masseuse swears that she "can fix" with cupping therapy (basically acupuncture with suction involved.) And let me tell you, after one session, it is 50% better than it's been in YEARS. Still hurts, but dramatically less than before. So I'll be out until it's almost 100%! Sad, but I think best for me. I'll keep checking in on everyone else though!

Great news that you're seeing dramatic improvement. Hope you get the full recovery.
  • jhgreer
    Options
    I've been doing YTWL with 7.5 or 8s! No wonder I hate them! I'm seriously going to drop down to 5s. My form was terrible at that weight. And I hate the angle on the ball - like my stomach/lungs are being crushed...

I didn't notice it before, but today I felt the same lung crushing on the ball for YTWL! I wonder if it has to do with coming off of a cold so my lung capacity isn't what it should be. I managed 6 lbs all three sets but my arms were dying by the end of it! This workout is so bizarre to me (even though I love it) because I go from 70# on the deadlift/row and 160# on the lat pulldown to 6# on these exercises. It's like the first half of the workout puts me in beast mode then it brings me back down to reality at the end... :ohwell:
  • suelegal
    Options

I didn't notice it before, but today I felt the same lung crushing on the ball for YTWL! I wonder if it has to do with coming off of a cold so my lung capacity isn't what it should be. I managed 6 lbs all three sets but my arms were dying by the end of it! This workout is so bizarre to me (even though I love it) because I go from 70# on the deadlift/row and 160# on the lat pulldown to 6# on these exercises. It's like the first half of the workout puts me in beast mode then it brings me back down to reality at the end... :ohwell:

I did too, and then I moved so I could prop my feet on one of the back extension racks and that made all the difference. I kept sliding down on the ball before that!

I keep the ball at hip level and raise up higher off the ball. First of all, I can breathe, and second, you get a hell of a workout doing that because of angle and gravity! Try it!
  • jhgreer
    Options
    I don't know what my problem is lately with planks. I was able to do 60 seconds on elbows at the end of stage 3 and now can barely do 45! I can handle it on my hands better, even easier with my shins balanced on a ball hands on floor. But even then can only get 60 secs before I give out. I know they should be harder for me based on my weight, but I expected more progress at this point. Any ideas to help? I wonder if doing it at the end of the workout when I'm so exhausted is hurting me.