Members Please Introduce Yourself here:

Options
Hello WLS Group

Please use this thread to introduce yourself to the group. Please include when you had your surgery and share your story.

We look forward to hearing from you! :flowerforyou:

Replies

• Kelly_Wilson1990
    Kelly_Wilson1990 Posts: 3,245 Member
    Options
    My name is Kelly. I had gastric bypass on Feb. 7, 2011. I wanted to get off prescription medications for high blood pressure and diabetes. I want to live a long life so I can see my grandchildren grow up. I am so glad I had the surgery.

My starting weight was 353 pounds. I never exercised. Today, I am down to 212 pounds. I exercise daily including the Curves Circuit and Zumba. One of my personal goals is to get my Zumba license to teach Zumba classes. I am taking my licensing class on Dec. 4th. I am so excited.
  • IsMollyReallyHungry
    IsMollyReallyHungry Posts: 15,350 Member
    Options
    My name is Mollie. I have been morbidly obese all my life. I have a lifetime of mental and physical scars from obesity. In October 2004 I had Gastric Bypass surgery. WLS (Weight Loss Surgery) was the best gift that I could and did give to myself.

In the last 3 years I have gained back 80 of almost 300 pounds lost initially after weight loss surgery. I never reached my goal weight of 200 pounds. I still managed to keep off over 65 percent of the weight I lost which is very good and I am very proud of my accomplishments since 2004. It has literally changed my life for the better on all levels. I am here to lose re-gained weight and to reach my initial goal weight. I am in no hurry. I am taking this one day at a time and I am in it for the long haul.

Surgery did not fix the head. It is a good tool and the best gift I have given to myself, but it was not the easy way out as many people think. Once the honeymoon period is over after the WLS it is up to the patient to keep the weight off.

In August 2011, I was admitted to Intensive Out Patient Eating Disorder Program to learn how to manage my binge eating disorder effectively. The program is wonderful indeed and will be instrumental in me reaching all of my goals. I expect to be discharged in December.

My highest weight was 611 in 2003. Weight in 2004 before surgery was 580. Lowest weight after surgery was 302 in 2007.

"I May Not Be Where I Want To Be, but Im Not Where I Use To Be!"
  • slsherwood51
    slsherwood51 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    My name is Linda, and I had sleeve surgery August 9, 2011. I've lost 52 pounds so far. I hope to lose another 50 to 60 pounds. I started at 255, and I am just a couple of pounds away from Onderland. I'd like to get below 150, and I currently have my goal set at 140.

My surgery and recovery have been very smooth. I haven't had any problems or pain, and I have not yet become sick or vomited. I have had a couple of times where I was uncomfortable for a bit from eating too much or too fast, but it wasn't too bad.

I love MyFItnessPal. I downloaded an app for my phone, so I can input what I am eating from anywhere. It works great when I am on the go.
  • vittix
    vittix Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    Hello im Vicki from Maine, my WLS was in jan, of 2001. i was 26 and 364 lbs. i lost over 200 lbs but the old habits (eatting my feelings) eatting the wrong foods and meds and health iusses have set me back a 100 lbs. I can't have beef, eggs, milk. I would eat till it hurt or eat so much sweets i'd have to go lay down after. so im doing 1200m cals. its hard but its working and helping me think about what im eatting.
  • Lobster1987
    Lobster1987 Posts: 492 Member
    Options
    I'm Leigh. I had the DS in Nov. 2010. I've lost 134 pounds. From Minnesota.
  • tippi4406
    tippi4406 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    My name is Genie and I had gastric-by pass surgery in January 2007. On the day of my surgery I weighed in at 265lbs. and got down to 168lbs. before my old eating habits started to creep by into my life style. My current weight is 192lbs. a 24lb re-gain.

When I had my surgery I worked the overnight shift and eating and exercising were easy for me, but when I lost that job and found a new job working during the day it was a complete and difficult turn around for me.

I always got the comments that I took the easy way out to weight loss, but nothing not even WLS is easy. They alter your stomach, but not the mental and physical stress of everyday living.

Trying to get back on track and stay there is an everyday challenge, but I know I can do this.
  • darla499
    darla499 Posts: 402 Member
    Options
    Hi all,

I am Darla and I had gastric bypass surgery December 6, 2010 .... almost a year ago and it's the best thing I've ever done! I've lost 115 pounds and FEEL better and am off all my medications for high blood pressure and high cholesterol. I was on OXYGEN too and came off that about a month after surgery. My sleep apnea is gone .... it's just been a miracle for me.

Thanks for starting this group!
  • phinners
    phinners Posts: 524 Member
    Options
    Hi Sandra here from England UK

Self-pay gastric band in Belgium 18 months ago. Found out 2 weeks later we were expecting a baby!

Baby almost 1 now and been losing weight since the beginning if this year.

Been a bit of a crappy ride so far, fill nurse punctured my tube on 1st fill, so had to go back to Belgium to pay for tube revision surgery. Got an infection during surgery. A week later end up in hospital for a week in IV antibiotics!!

Pancreatitis and gastritis since July so in a fair amout of pain

Been a hard ride so far.
  • tncmom
    tncmom Posts: 79
    Options
    My name is Raina.

I had RouxNY bypass on April 20, 2011. At my intake appointment for WLS I was at 290 pounds. Currently, I am at 187. I have gone from a size 24 to a size 16. This was the best thing I could have done for myself and for my family. I never used to exercise but now get in at least 5 days a week. I have lost 55 inches since before surgery.

I am struggling a bit with old eating habits right now but am trying very hard to get back on track.
  • IsMollyReallyHungry
    IsMollyReallyHungry Posts: 15,350 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone one for introducing yourself and welcome to WLS Group!! Please use threads set up for you to share.

Have a good week all and if you have not introduced yourself on this thread please do so.

Thanks!
  • sweetsofmine
    Options
    Name is Lisa I had the sleeve done on Aug 26, 2011. It took a while from first weigh in at the beginning of the year to finally able to get my surgery but I am so glad I have. Since the first weigh in I have lost over 100 pounds and since my surgery I have lost 60. I still have another 100 to go but I actually have changed a lot of my old eating habits and that surprised me.
  • SapphireJade
    Options
    My name is Crystal and after many years of debate (because I was so young and didn't want sugary) I had the duodenal switch gastric bypass surgery. It wasn't my first decision but being at the time 28 and the doctors looking me in the face and saying you need to loose the weight or you will be dead in a couple years was a real eye opener. I had been morbidly obese all my life. Even though I was active and never ate much. The harder I tried to loose weight the more I gained due to soo many health problems i had it made it impossible for me to loose weight. So last year May 6, 2010 I went in and I had the sugary. I have lost about 160lbs. I am having an extremely hard time with a lot of mental fights. I told myself I would be happy with my weight and if I lost 50lbs. When I reached my goal I looked in the mirror and i wasn't and it has been a big fight i keep hitting my goals and that mirror just is not showing me anything i want to see. Right now I want to get down to 145 to 150. but another part I am fighting with my self about is loosing that much weight as fast as I have, i have all the loose hanging skin/fat that is still there I work my butt off trying to loose it but my inner thighs, my arms, and my stomach just has soo much extra i want to cry. I am not sure if it is the pounds i am worried soo much about as...much as if that extra "hanging" wasn't there if i would be happy with the way i look.

but i am still reaching for my goal and just need the support of "friends" who know what i am going threw, who can say "yes" i know what you mean. Not just cause you want to make me feel better but because, you are going threw this yourself.

I myself, i am a very quite shy person and after everything i have been threw in my life this is the first time i am truly looking for a support group and looking for help. I have bad anxiety, depression, and insomnia. So if i am quite on the forms i am sorry i am going to try to do my best i am just new to not just this site but also interacting online on public forums.
  • MSWDiet
    MSWDiet Posts: 399 Member
    Options
    AFTER EIGHT YEARS OF CONTEMPLATION, I HAD RNY IN FEBRUARY 2009. IT WAS ONE OF THE BEST DECISIONS OF MY LIFE.

THERE IS NOTHING TYPICAL ABOUT MY WLS EXPERIENCE. I HAD NO PERIOD OF QUICK WEIGHT LOSS. I HAD NO "HONEYMOON" PERIOD DUE TO RESTRICTION AND MALABSORPTION. I COULD NOT EVEN LOOSE AT THE RATE OF A POUND AND A HALF A WEEK. NONETHELESS I DID LOOSE.

EVERY DAY HAS BEEN A STRUGGLE FROM DAY ONE. LARGE SUDDEN WEIGHT GAIN HAS BEEN AN ISSUE SINCE FIVE WEEKS POST OP AND IT STILL IS. WHILE OTHERS DROPPED FIVE POUNDS A WEEK THE FIRST MONTH, I BARELY LOST TWO. THEN I BEGAN TO GAIN WEIGHT. I'M STILL BITTER BUT I'M ALSO A "NORMAL" SIZE AND HOLDING.
  • AdymondNtheRuff
    AdymondNtheRuff Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    Hello all my name is Tameka and I had Gastric bypass June 29, 2009. Started off 270 lost 10lbs with my two week fast., now I weigh 192 at my smallest I was 182 or 3. I gained 20 plus pounds... I reverted back to 204 and have lost 13lbs. :bigsmile:

I am making a continuous decision to loose the weight and hit my goal of 170 or 160. I don't think I look bad now and I am very happy with my accomplishments. The big stomach and thigh area could use a lot more work, I have no sagging skin except my butt jiggles extra however, that is okay for my community. :blushing:

Although I lost 83lbs in the beginning. I restarted my ticker as of September 5, 2011...I do have you tube videos of before and after. I have not figured out how to post pictures on here yet so let me know if your interested on keeping my grounded and on point with my You tube journey it keeps me on top and I want to share and have you share with me success and I am very open about EVERYTHING... If there are ANY QUESTIONS you have please ask cause I will not hesitate to ask you. I hope that is not a problem!:wink:

Thank you guys for having me and i will definitely need some help finishing my goal I am going back out of work today for surgery on my foot tomorrow. I have learned I gain more weight at work and off I need to maximize while out. I went back to work on the 24th of Oct and have gained 1.5lbs... I need an action plan for going back this time.... When I come back everyone says i am to skinny!:ohwell:
  • stubbysticks
    stubbysticks Posts: 1,275 Member
    Options
    Hi there...I have not had surgery myself, but my husband had gastric banding surgery in January. He lost quite a bit of weight, but has gained a little back & struggles with getting his eating where it needs to be, so I'm hoping by joining your group I can learn more about what he goes through & be as supportive as possible. I don't want to be his manager or his mother, just want to gain more understanding I guess.

Congrats to all of you on your success so far!
  • darla499
    darla499 Posts: 402 Member
    Options
    Hi Everyone.

I introduced myself in an earlier post but see that there are all kinds of newcomers and just wanted to welcome all of you to the group.

This was a great idea and I think we can all learn a lot from each other and gain some great support.

I'd be happy to have any of you as friends if you are looking for fellow supporters who've had WLS.

Mine was December 6th, 2010 and it was the gastric bypass. Best thing I've ever done. I just recently started struggling with a little unhealthy eating .... but am here and back on track.

Looking forward to getting to know you all.
  • melvac
    melvac Posts: 333 Member
    Options
    Hey everybody, My Name is Melva Calvin I live in Arizona. I had a RNY Gastric Bypass on Feb. 15,2006. I started at 385#'s, it had gotten to the place where I had a constant backache, couldn't walk but a few steps before I had to take a seat. I thought I was having chronic back pain until everytime I would sit the pain would totally go away. After the bypass I lost 185#'s, I felt and looked so much more healthy but I never got to my goal weight. I signed up for MFP in 2010 but never really used it. I had gained a little over 20#'s when I was talking to a friend of mine and she suggested MFP, stating there was more support and accountability here and when I wanted to really get to my goal weight this would be the place to visit frequently...
    I started really using in July 2011, I started taking Zeal nutritional supplement in january and in July started taking twice daily Had my labs drawn as we all have to keep a close eye on and all my labs were within normal and better than they have been since the surgery. I now eat every 2 to 3 hours and Balance my nutrition I do some sort of exercise daily I continue to Supplement with Zeal .
    Since August 1 I have lost 40+ and will continue until i reach my goal...
  • Laura8603
    Laura8603 Posts: 590 Member
    Options
    Hi, everyone!! My name is Laura and I had gaastric bypass surgery in September 2008. I'm 45 years old and 5' 7" tall. My highest weight was 340 and I am now around 140. I have maintained my 200 pound loss for 2 years now.

I have had no complications since my surgery and am so thankful to have my life back!!
  • anselmore
    Options
    Hello all,
    My name is Gina. I am 45 years old, happily married and a mother of two boys (7 & 4). I am 5' 1.25" and have battled my weight all of my life. I also have struggled to understand exactly what has caused my weight issue as I am not a binge eater and I make healthy choices (for the most part.). One of my sisters struggles with her weight too and we have pretty much come to the conclusion that we don't have a metabolism :). In addition, exercise does not interest me.

1 year ago decided to have lapband surgery and weighted 235 at the time. My recovery was off to a rough start becuase of swelling from the procedure, not to mention they sent me home the same day. I ended up in the hospital to recover for an additional 4 days. I have had 2 fills and the last one was significant...done by the doctor under the camera. I have had lots of vomitting due to eating too fast and those things that tend to get stuck (mostly bread). I lost 25 lbs right off the bat then have slowly lost another 10 but for the most part I find myself maintaining....

I would like to get down to 170 which is what I weighed when I met my husband but my current short term goal is to see the scale go below 200!!! I know that if I exercise and log my food I can do this. I just started accessing myfitnesspal this week becuase I was feeling some weight coming on as a result of eating those small little halloween candies in the refrigerator....plus not paying attention to what I was eating.

Looking forward to getting to know you and most of all for getting and giving support.
  • anselmore
    Options
    What a success story!! Congratulations!!! Sorry I thought I was replying to the previous post from Laura8603