Members Please Introduce Yourself here:

Options

Replies

• darla499
    darla499 Posts: 402 Member
    Options
    Thu 11/24/11 08:19 PMHello my name is Kisha and Im joining this group for support. I really need to lose 50 more pounds. Its truly for health reason's. My doctor said that's the only way I can get off some of this medication and my insulin pump. I have already lost 50 my eating is good, Ive been doing 1200 or less calories a day. My issues is moving I really need to exercise. Looking for all kinds of encouragement and also looking to encourage others.

WLS date 8/17/11

Hi Kish!

Glad to have you in the group. You have done amazingly well! 50 before and another 10 afterwards.

I hear ya about the exercise thing. I hate it too. Badly!

There is a lady in here who started this group who does "Walk Away the Pounds" with Leslie Sandstone. It's supposed to be really good. I'm going to buy that and Zumba (I love to dance) pretty quick here. I hope the fun of it will keep me strong and regular in my exercise.

I''d love to support you and I could use some encouragement myself.

Friend me if you would like.

Thanks!

Darla
  • darla499
    Options
    Name is Lisa I had the sleeve done on Aug 26, 2011. It took a while from first weigh in at the beginning of the year to finally able to get my surgery but I am so glad I have. Since the first weigh in I have lost over 100 pounds and since my surgery I have lost 60. I still have another 100 to go but I actually have changed a lot of my old eating habits and that surprised me.

Hi Lisa!

Welcome to the group.

Wow! 100 pounds is amazing! Great job!
  • darla499
    Options
    Hi
    My name is Bonnie and I am a 58yo retired (partly because of weight) RN. I had Gastric Bypass on 10/14/11 so I am 6 weeks post op today. I lost 59 pounds before surgery and 30 since for a total of 89# so far since June. Surgery went great but the last 6 weeks have been rocky but I'm told it will get better.

Hi Bonnie,

Welcome!

You've done fantastic on your weight loss!

Hang in there, it does get better.

Darla
  • MacMadame
    MacMadame Posts: 1,893 Member
    Options
    Hi there!

I used to be quite the regular on MFP but I got tired of logging my food after 3 years of it and maintaining just fine. So I took some time off.

But right now I have a head injury and can't workout and I've gained 5 pounds in 3 weeks! So I'm back to logging.

I had my gastric sleeve surgery on 9/08 at 191 pounds (highest weight 225-ish) and quickly lost down to 112-113. I was a bit scrawny at that weight and did settle up around 115-117 when I decided I needed to go more vigorous strength training and that put me up around 120. But it was all muscle and I actually fit into my skinniest jeans at that point!

I do endurance training and racing since surgery and after my last Ironman, I was taking it easy exercise-wise and creeped up to 123-125. I wasn't too worried as that happens to me every winter and then the weight goes away when I get back to training. Except this year I went on a 200km bike ride and bonked my head and I haven't worked out so not only has my weight not gone back down but it's gone up!

I am tracking mostly to keep it from going up any more and to make sure I get enough protein and water. Once I get back into the protein and water habit, I'll work on the next thing. If my headaches would just go away, I would be able to get back to running and I'm sure I'd lose some of the weight without even trying. But they won't go away!

I am very frustrated!
  • darla499
    Options
    Hi there!

I used to be quite the regular on MFP but I got tired of logging my food after 3 years of it and maintaining just fine. So I took some time off.

But right now I have a head injury and can't workout and I've gained 5 pounds in 3 weeks! So I'm back to logging.

I had my gastric sleeve surgery on 9/08 at 191 pounds (highest weight 225-ish) and quickly lost down to 112-113. I was a bit scrawny at that weight and did settle up around 115-117 when I decided I needed to go more vigorous strength training and that put me up around 120. But it was all muscle and I actually fit into my skinniest jeans at that point!

I do endurance training and racing since surgery and after my last Ironman, I was taking it easy exercise-wise and creeped up to 123-125. I wasn't too worried as that happens to me every winter and then the weight goes away when I get back to training. Except this year I went on a 200km bike ride and bonked my head and I haven't worked out so not only has my weight not gone back down but it's gone up!

I am tracking mostly to keep it from going up any more and to make sure I get enough protein and water. Once I get back into the protein and water habit, I'll work on the next thing. If my headaches would just go away, I would be able to get back to running and I'm sure I'd lose some of the weight without even trying. But they won't go away!

I am very frustrated!

Welcome MacMadame!

You're in the right place!

You've done amazing!

Ironman? WOW!!! I hope I get to that point someday!
  • MacMadame
    Options
    Ironman? WOW!!! I hope I get to that point someday!
    Well I started by going to the gym 1x a week for 30 minutes. So it all starts with little steps...
  • darla499
    Options
    Well I started by going to the gym 1x a week for 30 minutes. So it all starts with little steps...

That's my goal ... to go to the gym until I LIKE going to the gym and working out. Right now I don't like it at all :wink:
  • fbbtaylor
    Options
    Hello All,

I had VSG on 9/14/11. On August 1 I weighed in at 370 lbs. I did a pre-surgery diet for 6 weeks before the actual surgery and lost 20 lbs....it was the most difficult and frustrating 6 weeks and a fight to get through it. Since surgery i have lost another 30 lbs.
  • diablo4372
    Options
    Hi everyone my name is Ross, I had Gastric Bypass Surgery with Sylastic Banding by Dr. Fobi way back in September of 2000. I did great dropping from 395 to 175 at one point. I quit smoking 3 years ago though and started to gain weight again im back to almost 275 now.
  • MacMadame
    Options
    Hi Ross!

There are lots of articles on the internet about how to quit smoking without gaining weight. Do you find them to have helpful advice or are they like a lot of dieting advice -- kind of mediocre?
  • Robin66
    Robin66 Posts: 103
    Options
    Hello everyone, my name is Robin and I had a weight loss surgery 22 years ago that I had a lot of complications from. So 2 years ago I had a revision to the gastric bypass. I've lost a total of 137lbs and have finally reached an ideal weight for me. I still have some issues from both of my wls, but at this point I'm ecstatic with my weight. I look forward to getting to know you all!
  • erinacarpenter
    Options
    Hello my name is Erin. I had RouxNY on January 12, 2009. At my intake the day of surgery I weighed 398 pounds. Today I am down to 244.7 that's a total of 153.3 pounds lost in almost three years. My main goal in life is to get to 150 pounds and I am struggling in a sea of food trying to get the last 95 pounds off. Will it ever happen? UGH! :huh: I want my husband to look at me a be proud that I am his woman. I have been HUGE all my life and my biggest problem is self hate. One step/problem at a time right?
  • darla499
    Options
    Hello everyone, my name is Robin and I had a weight loss surgery 22 years ago that I had a lot of complications from. So 2 years ago I had a revision to the gastric bypass. I've lost a total of 137lbs and have finally reached an ideal weight for me. I still have some issues from both of my wls, but at this point I'm ecstatic with my weight. I look forward to getting to know you all!

Hi Robin and Welcome!

I had some issues with my surgery too. Lots of complications and bleeding but it was soooo worth it!

Congratulations on the weight loss you've achieved. You look beautiful!

I hope to get to that point myself some day!
  • darla499
    Options
    Hello my name is Erin. I had RouxNY on January 12, 2009. At my intake the day of surgery I weighed 398 pounds. Today I am down to 244.7 that's a total of 153.3 pounds lost in almost three years. My main goal in life is to get to 150 pounds and I am struggling in a sea of food trying to get the last 95 pounds off. Will it ever happen? UGH! :huh: I want my husband to look at me a be proud that I am his woman. I have been HUGE all my life and my biggest problem is self hate. One step/problem at a time right?

Hi Erin,

Congratulations on the weight loss. That's fantastic. I hear ya about the food starting to get to you, but you're here and doing something about it. I just went through a period of really unhealthy eating myself. But the important thing is, we come out on the other side and we keep doing the durn thing :wink:

Self-Loathing is something we'll deal with forever ... I go to therapy to deal with my issues and I'm also on a mood-stabalizer and an antidepressant. Have you tried therapy. It really does help to talk about it.

Looking forward to getting to know you better.

Darla
  • hsmamaof7
    Options
    Good morning group,

My name is Chris and I am scheduled for WLS on Wednesday, 12/7/11. I have been overweight since puberty. I have had 7 children and homeschool them all. I am working on exercising, walking. After surgery I will try to add weights to the program. My lifestyle is sedentary but I need to change to be there for my kids and to be the proper example to them.

My first question to you all, is how do you change your goals for WLS? If I increase the protein to 25%, 90g, 20% fat, then the rest is carbs which I obviously don't want. So what kind of numbers do you recommend, even just for me to know. I am 5'8" so NUT says 90g protein but how much other stuff should I shoot for in the future. I know my numbers will be lower for a few months after surgery.

Thanks,
    Chris
  • tncmom
    tncmom Posts: 79
    Options
    Congrats on making this decision, Chris! I just set my goals so that my protein is right and then don't worry too much about the rest. I am almost 8 months out and have just recently starting hitting my protein goal consistently. It will be tough in the first few weeks/months, but remember that this is for the long haul.

What type of surgery are you having?

Good luck!
  • MacMadame
    Options
    My program called for:

< 800 calories
    70-90 g protein (but more is okay)
    <40 g carbs
    <30 g fat

I made my carb goal be 40, my fat goal be 30 and put the rest to protein.
  • hsmamaof7
    Options
    Marvelous, thanks for the info. I am scheduled for the VSG. just pray the insurance gets on. the ball. I have not heard from them yet. It is sure making me nervous.
    chris s
  • stace0304
    Options
    hi there..banded since aug 2004, lost 30lbs while going through two years of hurricane drama, but have yo-yo'd back up 15. Never got my head right so spent the last few years over-eating and vomiting. Band has slipped and will be removed fully in january. in counseling and nutrition therapy because i'm not ready to transition to any more agressive surgery such as sleeve or bypass. insurance excludes all bariatrics so any problems would be fully self pay. weighed 236 at highest. was 217 this morning. want to be 140. feel overwhelmed.
  • runs4zen
    runs4zen Posts: 769 Member
    Options
    Hi All!

I see some familiar faces here! I had a VSG 01/19/2010. I've lost 127 pounds, including the 7 I lost prior to surgery. It's the best thing I ever did for myself and my family. I've maintained my current weight (within 5 pounds) for 14 months so far. I hit goal within 9 months of surgery.

Every day I get up and make it a priority to keep myself healthy and fed in a manner that keeps the weight off. I do it because I feel better about myself when I'm in good shape and I do it because I have two awesome kids who need an active, healthy mom around.

I'm currently training for a triathalon in April but I'm finding that running is really my most favorite sport.

If you'd like to read more of my "story", I have it written in my profile!

:bigsmile: