Members Please Introduce Yourself here:

Options

Replies

• cfpaley
    cfpaley Posts: 1
    Options
    Hello! I am Cynthia and I had RNY 1/22/13. I just switched over to MFP from LoseIt and am very happy with the change. The biggest struggle I have is getting enough fluids in and adjusting to the fact that every day can be different. So glad to have found you all and look forward to mutual support :)
  • mrscyber
    mrscyber Posts: 2
    Options
    Hi, I am Linda and I have not yet had WLS but just started my journey for the 2nd time, to get RNY since my insurance company does not pay for it and back in 2005 went through appeal after appeal and they just will not cover it. After the rejection I tried on my own over and over and would yoyo back and forth 50lbs.. The last few years its been getting harder and harder and now at my highest weight of 332 I am just in tears.. And over the past couple years every time I try to start exercising something happens. Broke my foot and had foot surgery on other foot at same time, and finally after that was all better I developed a hernia so had to have that repaired, and the list goes on, now the latest is a twisted knee from getting out of our truck. I am on meds for BP, GERD, and can't take Nsaids for any discomfort because of being on methotrextrate as well. I so need this operation to get my life back, I have two girls (one that is 19 and also overweight) and a overweight hubby so I am not only doing this for myself but for my family so I can cook better for them as well. (which it has already started). I dream of the days I can ride our horses again and go hiking with my kids, ride amusement rides and just LIVE! Since nothing has changed with our insurance I will be paying out of pocket for the surgery at around $20k but it is well worth it. Since I have done the whole program before and paying for it myself the surgeon is hoping to get me fast tracked so hopefully I can get surgery in about 4mts. Still have to lose 32lbs before surgery but I am doing well this past week with eating and love Myfitnesspal for keeping track of everything. I hope I did not go overboard with my introduction and I look forward to sharing my journey with you all. Thanks, Linda
  • carlygirl412
    Options
    Hi, I am Linda and I have not yet had WLS but just started my journey for the 2nd time, to get RNY since my insurance company does not pay for it and back in 2005 went through appeal after appeal and they just will not cover it. After the rejection I tried on my own over and over and would yoyo back and forth 50lbs.. The last few years its been getting harder and harder and now at my highest weight of 332 I am just in tears.. And over the past couple years every time I try to start exercising something happens. Broke my foot and had foot surgery on other foot at same time, and finally after that was all better I developed a hernia so had to have that repaired, and the list goes on, now the latest is a twisted knee from getting out of our truck. I am on meds for BP, GERD, and can't take Nsaids for any discomfort because of being on methotrextrate as well. I so need this operation to get my life back, I have two girls (one that is 19 and also overweight) and a overweight hubby so I am not only doing this for myself but for my family so I can cook better for them as well. (which it has already started). I dream of the days I can ride our horses again and go hiking with my kids, ride amusement rides and just LIVE! Since nothing has changed with our insurance I will be paying out of pocket for the surgery at around $20k but it is well worth it. Since I have done the whole program before and paying for it myself the surgeon is hoping to get me fast tracked so hopefully I can get surgery in about 4mts. Still have to lose 32lbs before surgery but I am doing well this past week with eating and love Myfitnesspal for keeping track of everything. I hope I did not go overboard with my introduction and I look forward to sharing my journey with you all. Thanks, Linda

Hi Linda! Welcome! I understand your frustration with your insurance company! I don't have to go through the program again, but they wanted me to lose a certain amount of weight and I want to go a few pounds pass that so when I get on my doctor's scale, if there is any difference between my scale and his, it will still be within the range that my insurance company wants.

All the best to you with your journey and I hope you have every penny you need to get your surgery! Take care.

Peace,
    Carlygirl412
  • cota_girl
    cota_girl Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Hi, my name is Jo. I'm scheduled for the gastric sleeve June 3rd and am on day 5 of my liquid diet. I'm typical, overweight all my life and tried every diet but never stuck with them. I am lucky to only have aches and pains, no high blood pressure or diabetes yet, but I'm surrounded with family who is obese and who have obesity related diseases. I'm 35, married with kids and am ready to get this done and find the new me. I started a support group two months ago and so glad I did. I encourage everyone to find a local group to share stories and ideas and for encouragement. I didn't realize how hard it would be to feed my family while I make a protein shake or eat my jello. Such a huge temptation. Anyway, I have the app for fitness pal, love how helpful it is. Hope to be on here more.
  • wendyp445
    wendyp445 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    HI! My name is Wendy and I had Gastric Bypass on Feb 17, 2012. I have been overweight almost my whole life and decided it was time to get healthy. I was a diabetic taking 4 pills and 4 shots a day, along with various other medications for HBP. I am not longer on any medications. Only my daily vitamins. I am very happy that I decided to do this.
    I am married and my husband had the same surgery by the same surgeon on 10/17/2012.
    We are both doing great, feeling great and starting to do things that we could not have done prior to surgery.
    LIFE IS GOOD!
  • MacMadame
    MacMadame Posts: 1,893 Member
    Options
    Congrats!

I wish my husband would get surgery. Sigh.
  • jennielou75
    jennielou75 Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    My oh did not have surgery but has lost 4 stone and is much healthier now. We both decided to sort out our eating 6 months before my op and I lost 50 pounds before my surgery. Now he does all the cooking from scratch and we go on long walls together. It has been life changing for both of us. We also have each other to make sure we don't go back to bad habits.
  • deannavoigtsharmon
    Options
    HI my name is Deanna. I am in the process of deciding which wls I want to have. I wanted the band but Dr wants me to do Bypass. not sure which was to go right now.
  • ginaml66
    ginaml66 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Hello Everyone,

My name is Gina, single mom of three teenage boys. I live in Mission, BC Canada. I will have the sleeve July 25 2013. I am very nervous and excited at the same time. Most stories I read are very motivating and I hope I have made the right choice to do this. I have always put others before myself and never really noticed my weight was as bad as it was. I just kept doing the same things over and over, trying to diet and loosing then gaining it all + back. I now try to tell my self that at 47 years old, life isn't over........I can still enjoy things and now do what I want to do. Maybe have a relationship? Take some time to travel ? Fit in the airplane seat without the stupid seat belt extender. Walk for a few KM's without feeling pain........and the list goes on.
    Today is the day.....................to change my destination to something I WANT.
  • pagirlee
    pagirlee Posts: 3
    Options
    Always looking for new friends on here!! 33yr old. I had RNY almost 18 months ago. Down 134 pounds so far. Please feel free to add me... I'd appreciate it! Thanks!!
  • pagirlee
    pagirlee Posts: 3
    Options
    https://www.facebook.com/#!/groups/LIFEAFTERWLS/
    Just incase you're interested. We have a large group of wonderful people. I created this site about 4 months after I had RNY (Jan 2012). There are a lot of people who have also had the sleeve done. There are always a ton of tips, tricks, etc on the site. It really is a great group of people!
  • suzend
    suzend Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    Hello! I had Gastric Bypass Jan. 11, 2005. For the first 1-1/2 yrs I was doing terrific! I started off weighing 300 lbs exactly. I lost 126 pounds and hit 174 for about two seconds. I'm not kidding....I usually stayed around 177-180.

I'm not making excuses, but in 2007 my Mom got ill and passed away. We were very, very close and it threw me for a loop to say the least. She was my best friend in the world. The one i could always count on. Well, my best friend wasn't with my anymore so my next best friend, food, was. I started eating anything and everything. I'd get full and once the full feeling left, I'd graze.

So from 2007 until now, a whole 6 yrs. I've been eating crappy, not exercising, drinking alcohol in excess and not following up with my surgeon's office. He has since retired, but as I was sitting at work one day, I decided to email his office to see if it was too late for me to go back. They got back to me and told me I could come back anytime and to call the office and make an appointment. I waited about a week and finally picked up the phone and made an appointment with one of the newer surgeons. I not only made the appointment, I actually went! yay me! So after losing 126 lbs., I had gained 80 back. When I went to the doctor I was up to 259.

I sat with the nutrionist for quite awhile and got some terrific advice on how to get back on track. Eat more protein. One of the things I let go of. I love carbs so basically my diet consisted of pastas, bread, candy, and alcohol.... all the bad carbs. I met with the surgeon and she was about 15 yrs old :wink: (well, very young anyway). She was terrific. We sat and talked a long, long time. She told me to up the protein (I eat anywhere from 40-80 grams a day) and it really does work at keeping me full for longer. She told me to make another appointment for the following month, but I decided to go after vacation which will bring me to almost two months out. She said if I could lose 4-5 lbs in that month, we'll go from there and keep going. So I figured if it was going to be two months, I should lose 8-10 lbs. It's been 5 weeks, and I've lost 12 lbs!

I want to eat healthier, feel better, and get back to where I was. I do have wine or a cocktail now and then and I definitely count them! I'm not trying to drop this weight overnight like I used to back when I was younger. I figure I'm going to do it slow and steady. I'm in no hurry.

I'm eating mostly veggies (love them roasted with a lil olive oil and a bit of kosher salt), chicken, salmon, pork. I've count down on carbs and can feel the difference by eating healthier already.

Anyway, I'm 52 yrs young, 5'4" and current weight as of yesterday is 247. I put my goals in at 10 lbs increments. My new goal is now 240. It's easier for me to attain small goals than look at the big picture.

Would love to make some friends here and talk about struggles, exercise, fave foods and snacks, and life in general.

Please feel free to friend request me.

Thanks for reading!
  • annwyatt69
    annwyatt69 Posts: 727 Member
    Options
    https://www.facebook.com/#!/groups/LIFEAFTERWLS/
    Just incase you're interested. We have a large group of wonderful people. I created this site about 4 months after I had RNY (Jan 2012). There are a lot of people who have also had the sleeve done. There are always a ton of tips, tricks, etc on the site. It really is a great group of people!

I am very interested in this group. I had rny on 9/27/12. My FB username is Ann Schultz Roberts. How would I go about joining? It says it's a closed group. Thanks.
  • kathieh1
    kathieh1 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    I had Gastric Sleeve Surgery on June 5th - so two weeks ago yesterday. I took about a year to make the decision from when I first saw the doctor and started on a manditory managed weight loss program. I got through that but then chickened out initially, then gained the weight back and finally went back to the doctor four or five months ago ready to try again. This time I had to do 3 months, but I don't think there was certain amount I had to lose, and in fact I really didn't lose much pre surgery. No complications. I decided on the sleeve because I was worried about complications and the need for ongoing maintenance with the band and vitamin deficiencies with bypass. I'm confident that my surgeon is very experienced and highly regarded. Insurance covered almost everything. I think my biggest issue will be keeping to the program and all the things everyone here has said about it only being a tool. You really have to be conscious and plan things. Still having trouble getting enough water and protein, but working on it.
  • skoop85
    skoop85 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone!

My name is Shelly and I am getting sleeved on Tuesday (June 25th)! I am so excited to get this party started! I have been overweight my whole life and have never been able to lose weight and maintain it. Although, I'm realllly good at gaining it back plus more! :p
    I am new to MFP and have asked myself why I never started losing this years ago! Love it! If anyone wants to be me friend please add me!! I would love to have support from fellow sleevers and support others too!

Have a great day all!
  • fat2fabamy
    Options
    Hi I am Amy I plan to have the sleeve surgery towards the end of the year. Right now I am going through 6 months of diet documentation. I am excited about this journey!
  • staceyhotmama
    staceyhotmama Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    Hello everyone!

I had RNY Gastric Bypass surgery December 19, 2006. It was the very best decision I ever made as my high bp, diabetes, and sleep apnea are a thing of the past.

I've lost 174 lbs and.... now being 6 years post op, it's a struggle to not gain weight and stick to protein first/low-carb diet. I am working on getting my weight back down to 180 as I am most comfortable at that weight but it's been a challenge.

That being said, I don't regret my surgery at all as it helped give me a new lease on life!
  • Ontario54
    Ontario54 Posts: 1
    Options
    I had my RNY surgery on June 7, 2013. The bariatric clinic advised us to download the My Fitness Pal app. I like that I can make my entries and see where I am as far as my protein requirements. Please feel free to add me. I also purchased a Fitbit Flex and can be added by going to my profile there. http://www.fitbit.com/user/266ZXS
  • deannavoigtsharmon
    Options
    Hi my name is Deanna. I am thinking about having weight loss surgery but not sure which one to have. I am doing my 6 month weight loss program right now. I have a few months before I have to make my final decision.
  • Onegirlarmy824
    Onegirlarmy824 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Had Gastric Bypass 12/12/12 and have lost a total of 121 lbs. I did not have to lose anything prior to surgery. Start weight was 284 currently 163. I hope to get to 120 within the next couple months. I live by MFP and my FItbit. It is what works and I think I am going to use it from now on to stay on track and keep me motivated! I just got my Fitbit a few weeks ago and avg about 15,500 steps per day! So proud!