Members Please Introduce Yourself here:

Options

Replies

• MSWDiet
    MSWDiet Posts: 399 Member
    Options
    Hello! My name is Chuck and I had the vertical sleeve gastrectomy on 11/4/2013.
    My wife had her sleeve done on 11/8/13 and we're both excited about our lives from here on out.

WELCOME & CONGRATS TO YOU AND YOUR WIFE AND THOSE FUTURE KIDS TOO. I HAD RNY IN 09' AND WHILE I'VE DONE WELL IT IS A CONSTANT STRUGGLE. HOWEVER, WEIGHING IN AT "NORMAL" IS ITS OWN REWARD.

YOU ARE BOTH LUCKY TO HAVE SOMEONE WITH YOU TO RIDE OUT THE UPS AND DOWNS. WLS PEOPLE GET THE HIGHS AND LOWS OTHERS DON'T FULLY UNDERSTAND. THIS IS OFTEN THE PEAK WEIGHT LOSS PERIOD. NOT EVERYONE GETS AN INITIAL QUICK START BUT MANAGE THE CARBS AND CALORIES AND IT MAY HAPPEN FOR THE TWO OF YOU. THAT NEW OP FAT LOSS BOOST IS A ONE SHOT DEAL TO BE SAVORED. ENJOY THE TRANSFORMATION.
  • favor030969
    favor030969 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Hello family! I was sleeved on August 20, 2013. It is absolutely not easy and still requires a whole lot of work but I certainly don't regret it. WHAT AN AWESOME BLESSING!!!!
  • meyers901
    meyers901 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Hello Everyone, My name is Dan and I had a RYN done on 11/19/2013 and I live in Northern Virginia. I started my weight loss on August of 2013 and lost 70 pounds pre-op and so far I have lost 20 pounds post op at 4 weeks out.
  • ninanew
    ninanew Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Hi - my name is Nina and I had VSG on June 17, 2013. I'm refocusing on my diet and eating behaviors to get back on track. Dang those holidays!
  • Melissajordan09
    Melissajordan09 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Hi all, my name is Melissa and I had WLS in 2005. When I went in I weighed 430 and was on the fast path to slowly killing myself with food. Since I was a small girl I was obese and began to get morbidly obese in my teens. After many years of agoraphobia and social phobia hindering me from life, I decided I *needed* a change and fought the insurance companies to allow me to get this surgery. After spending a month in the hospital due to some complications with blood clots after surgery, I successfully lost 240 lbs. Since then though, I have suffered through the dissolution of my marriage of over 18 years and of course gone back to the one safe thing I always had.. food. Now, I find myself weighing in around 240 these days, and I miss the days of ONEderland.. So, when I was challenged by my boss to lose 3% of my weight before March 3rd, I quickly found this website and have been hooked ever since. The diary, blogs, chats and people are simply amazing and great motivation. Then when I came across this community of fellow WLS patients, I was so excited! I am looking for anyone who wants a shoulder to cry on, to share their stories, need support, anything.. Feel free to friend me, introduce yourself in depth or just say hi. I'm looking forward to meeting some new people and enjoying some laughs and cries together..
  • IsMollyReallyHungry
    IsMollyReallyHungry Posts: 15,357 Member
    Options
    Hi all, my name is Melissa and I had WLS in 2005. When I went in I weighed 430 and was on the fast path to slowly killing myself with food. Since I was a small girl I was obese and began to get morbidly obese in my teens. After many years of agoraphobia and social phobia hindering me from life, I decided I *needed* a change and fought the insurance companies to allow me to get this surgery. After spending a month in the hospital due to some complications with blood clots after surgery, I successfully lost 240 lbs. Since then though, I have suffered through the dissolution of my marriage of over 18 years and of course gone back to the one safe thing I always had.. food. Now, I find myself weighing in around 240 these days, and I miss the days of ONEderland.. So, when I was challenged by my boss to lose 3% of my weight before March 3rd, I quickly found this website and have been hooked ever since. The diary, blogs, chats and people are simply amazing and great motivation. Then when I came across this community of fellow WLS patients, I was so excited! I am looking for anyone who wants a shoulder to cry on, to share their stories, need support, anything.. Feel free to friend me, introduce yourself in depth or just say hi. I'm looking forward to meeting some new people and enjoying some laughs and cries together..
    Hi Melissa,

Welcome and good job on stopping finding support before going any higher in weight.
  • saeverman
    Options
    I'm not sure if I've posted before or not. Hi, I'm Stephanie and I had my original RNY back in December of 2002. I have had nothing but complications from my surgery, but would do it over in a heart beat! I started at 300.2. I remember crying the morning of surgery because I had never been over 300 pounds. I got down to 170 and maintained for almost two years before being put on massive steroids. I regained 90 pounds in 6 months thanks to the steroids. I was able to get off 60 of those 90. So I had been carrying around the extra 30 pounds for years and have finally decided it is the time to do something about it. I know my tool still works. I want to get back into onederland. This morning the scale read 200;5 and that was after breakfast, so I am close! This time I will get there and stay. I have been told no more steroids!!! YEAH!!!!!! If anyone has any questions about my complications feel free to ask, I just didn't want to bore you or scare you with the long list. I've finally managed to get off the prescription narcotics and get into nursing school, so my health is getting better every year.

Stephanie E
  • IsMollyReallyHungry
    IsMollyReallyHungry Posts: 15,357 Member
    Options
    I'm not sure if I've posted before or not. Hi, I'm Stephanie and I had my original RNY back in December of 2002. I have had nothing but complications from my surgery, but would do it over in a heart beat! I started at 300.2. I remember crying the morning of surgery because I had never been over 300 pounds. I got down to 170 and maintained for almost two years before being put on massive steroids. I regained 90 pounds in 6 months thanks to the steroids. I was able to get off 60 of those 90. So I had been carrying around the extra 30 pounds for years and have finally decided it is the time to do something about it. I know my tool still works. I want to get back into onederland. This morning the scale read 200;5 and that was after breakfast, so I am close! This time I will get there and stay. I have been told no more steroids!!! YEAH!!!!!! If anyone has any questions about my complications feel free to ask, I just didn't want to bore you or scare you with the long list. I've finally managed to get off the prescription narcotics and get into nursing school, so my health is getting better every year.

Stephanie E
    Welcome Stephanie and thanks for sharing your awesome story too!! Good job getting back on track too!
  • MSWDiet
    MSWDiet Posts: 399 Member
    Options

Stephanie E

CONGRATS ON REVERSING THE WEIGHT GAIN. SURGERY IS FOR LIFE SO WE NEED TO STICK WITH IT THROUGH LIFE'S UPS & DOWNS.

KEEP AT IT! I KNOW FIRST HAND THE FRUSTRATION OF METABOLIC ISSUES. I'VE BEEN A STEROID USER FOR OVER A DECADE. STEROIDS WERE GIVEN DURING MY RNY GASTRIC BYPASS. NO COMPLICATIONS BUT I GAINED WEIGHT DURING THE "HONEY MOON" PERIOD WHEN OTHER POST OPS LOOSE A POUND OR SO DAILY. IT WAS CRUSHING. I LOST SLOWER THAN MOST ON DIET ALONE IN SPITE OF EXERCISING TO TOLERANCE. WE CAN DO THIS IN SPITE OF MEDICAL ISSUES.

NOT YELL'N AT YA, JUST HARD A SEE'N ;-)
  • mollz007
    mollz007 Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    Hi, my name is Molly and I am 25 years old. I am getting the sleeve on Feb. 20. I am from Kansas.
  • BobF4
    BobF4 Posts: 1
    Options
    Hi. My name is Bob. I had the RNY on March 2, 2009. I went from 340 the day of surgery, to a low weight of 235. Slowly but surely, my weight has crept back up as of late. I am going to start walking more, bike riding in warmer weather, and getting my caloric intake back in line, byy using MFP to log my food. If anyone wants to friend me, or talk, let me know!
  • LadyG0915
    LadyG0915 Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    Hi, My name is Rikki and I had the sleeve on March 19, 2012. I had lost 105 lbs and then gained a few back when I started lifting. And now......I'm 21 weeks pregnant. I have gained 25 lbs and I am SCARED to death! I know I am getting plenty of nutritious foods (fruits/veggies/protein), but every time the scale scoots up, I cringe and I feel like there is no hope after having baby #3 to lose the weight plus the 30-40lbs I had left to get to my goal. Sigh.....bumps in the road.
  • mollz007
    mollz007 Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    Hi my name is Molly. I'm 25 years old and I had the VSG done on Feb. 20, 2014. I was overweight in high school, but my weight gain really got out of control in college. I went crazy with food and I gained the freshman 15 and then never stopped. I also struggled with some mental health problems that got really bad when I was about 20. That coupled with my hypothyroidism really didn't help with my weight issues. Then I got married at 23 and put on the "newlywed nine" and then some. Fast forward to September 2013, I finally decided enough was enough, and I started to get serious about weight loss surgery. So that's how I got to where I am today!
  • Jenn87m
    Jenn87m Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Hello Everyone, My Name is Jenn (age 27) and I had a Bypass on 12/31/13. My weight before the surgery was 256 . I am down to 209 right now and still going :0). I joined this discussion board to get pointers and such from people who have had WLS. I don't know a lot of people who have gone through surgery, So this is nice to refer to. I hope every one is doing well on there weight loss journey!
  • 55Megamus
    Options
    Hello All,

My name is Ian, I am a 29yr old father of 2. I am also (somewhat ironically) employed as a health researcher, specifically obesity. I have a PhD in Kinesiology and public health. yet here I am, morbidly obese, fighting the cycle of attempted weight loss and regain. Last year I was not feeling well, very tired, no energy, unmotivated, and just not feeling good. At one point I seriously felt as if I was dying. I went to the doctor for a check up, was diagnosed with hypertension and had a long chat about my weight. I have essentially maintained my weight and have, for the most part, gotten that feeling of dying under control. I however still need to do more to get to where I need to be.

I have registered for a consult for WLS here in Canada, it will likely be 6 months before I even get a call back to come in for a consult and could be up to 2 years for the actual surgery, but I am looking for support and info from people who have experienced WLS.

Feel free to check out my profile and add me as a friend.
  • terigirl77
    Options
    Hi All,

My name is Teri. I have been obese my whole life, always from a chunky child to an obese teen to a morbidly obese adult. I've been on every weight loss plan under the sun and yo-yo'ed like it was nobody's business. Every time I lost weight, I'd go off track or plateau and lose motivation, only to gain all the weight back and sometimes even more. After about 3 years considering weight loss surgery, I've decided I'm done with the vicious cycle and I have chosen to get RNY surgery. Because I have Kaiser insurance, I have many hoops that I'm currently jumping through before they will approve my surgery. I started this current journey at 340 lbs, my highest all time weight was about 350/360. As of last night, I'm at about 328 lbs. I have another 15 lbs to lose before Kaiser will do the surgery. I also have to have another nutrition class, attend a Kaiser based support group, have a sleep apnea test, and a psych test. Once all the prerequisites are done, they will schedule my surgery. I assume it will be at least a few months out still. I am very excited about this process and I am looking for people/support buddies. I do have quite a few friends/acquaintences who have been fairly successful with WLS, but I need to succeed at this and I feel the only way to do so is to have a large support circle.

Please friend me and become part of my circle :) Thanks
  • Duckie015
    Duckie015 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Hello Everyone,

My name is Sandy and I had gastric sleeve in November 2012, I have lost 160 pounds and still have 40 lbs left to I feel successful and satisfied. The last 4 months have been a struggle to lose anymore let alone remain eating healthy. Other than my bmi being 64% and sleep apnea ( dia pre surgery) I would say I was an overall healthy 379 pounds. Who am I kidding the surgery saved my life. I was just diag with stage 1 thickening of the heart wall, acid reflux and had several biopsies and a surgery of my left breast, hypercalcemia, about 3 weeks ago I was diag with lupus. My life and my body are a mess and I am on this roller coaster and want to get off. I have 3 do not eat food lists and trying to find a happy medium is going to be a chore. Over the last 14 months all I knew was protein, protein, protein, and now I have to change it. I have a plan and would like a little extra support from you guys. No one seems to understand unless they have been through our journey. We can beat this evil addiction and become successful loving and living life.
  • DaniLynn63
    DaniLynn63 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Hello I am 50 years young and am looking forward to a new healthy life. I had my surgery on January 8th of this year, so far no concerns just enjoying this honeymoon session.
  • Thaeda
    Thaeda Posts: 834 Member
    Options
    Hello! I was sleeved on 1/27. I have had no complications (YAY!). I am eating between 600 and 800 cals per day (usually closer to the 800 end of things). Lately, I have been more hungry-- especially since I geared up my workouts, so I have had a few days when I ate 1000 cals-- always just protein and veg., though. I workout every day. I do strength training Mon & Fri, Bikram yoga Tues & Thurs, and various forms of cardio Wed. (45 min), Sat.(60 min), and Sunday (30-45 min).

For right now, I am religiously sticking to the nutritional guidelines, but I have to be honest-- I have seen sooooooo many posts about regain.... I know-- it is silly to be worried about regain when I am only 2 months out from surgery, but it still is disconcerting. It seems so easy to go back to old habits... so far that has not been an issue, but I am still such a newbie.

Anyway, I have lost almost 35 pounds since my surgery, and overall I am feeling good. Looking forward to being a part of this community.