x- Welcome all cyclists! -x

Options
broadsword7
broadsword7 Posts: 411 Member
The Bicycling Road and Mountain MFP Group is all about you...cyclists of all kinds, road, mountain, hybrid, recumbent, wanna-be riders, you name it.

If you want, you can use this "sticky" thread to introduce yourself, and also post a welcome to any new group members, but feel free to also create your own topic, and keep the rubber side down!

Replies

• StuAblett
    StuAblett Posts: 1,141 Member
    Options
    I think some of you know who I am, but an introduction is a good idea.

I'm 47 years old, married with two teenage daughters. My lovely wife is Japanese, and I'm Canadian...eh... :bigsmile:
    We live and work in Tokyo Japan, running my wife's family business, a liquor shop. I'm a hobbyist woodworker, trained mechanic, and general all round fix it kind of guy.

I have lost a fair bit of weight, and credit can certainly go to the MFP app for my iPhone and the wonderful group of people here.

I got back into cycling recently, I built a trailer to do my deliveries for the liquor shop with, keeps me moving everyday. I do some longer rides, but my day off is only the occasional Sunday, and often I just need a rest! I've logged 3100 Km so far this year, I hope to do over 4000 Km next year.

Cheers!
  • broadsword7
    Options
    I think some of you know who I am, but an introduction is a good idea.

I'm 47 years old, married with two teenage daughters. My lovely wife is Japanese, and I'm Canadian...eh... :bigsmile:
    We live and work in Tokyo Japan, running my wife's family business, a liquor shop. I'm a hobbyist woodworker, trained mechanic, and general all round fix it kind of guy.

I have lost a fair bit of weight, and credit can certainly go to the MFP app for my iPhone and the wonderful group of people here.

I got back into cycling recently, I built a trailer to do my deliveries for the liquor shop with, keeps me moving everyday. I do some longer rides, but my day off is only the occasional Sunday, and often I just need a rest! I've logged 3100 Km so far this year, I hope to do over 4000 Km next year.

Cheers!

Stu, good to see you here, and welcome!
  • janesmith1
    janesmith1 Posts: 1,511 Member
    Options
    Hi I started the "Official MFP bike group". I finally got here! Yay for the group!
  • broadsword7
    Options
    Hi I started the "Official MFP bike group". I finally got here! Yay for the group!

Hi Jane! Glad you are here and welcome!
  • ellyvortex
    Options
    Hello!

I'm a new MFP person, and an old biker. I live in MN and do a lot of road biking in the summer. There are three tours I'm planning on doing this summer (all between 20-50 miles), and lots of just tooling around the countryside. I'm glad to be here. :)
  • broadsword7
    Options
    Welcome Elly!
  • StuAblett
    Options
    Hello!

I'm a new MFP person, and an old biker. I live in MN and do a lot of road biking in the summer. There are three tours I'm planning on doing this summer (all between 20-50 miles), and lots of just tooling around the countryside. I'm glad to be here. :)

Welcome Elly!

A 50 mile tour sounds like a nice day out for sure!

Cheers!
  • Jomoli
    Jomoli Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    I would like to introduce myself. I am brand new to MFD but have been on path to weight loss since August. I have lost 20 pounds so far and am now using MFD to help me get another 20 to 25 off.

I am a long time cyclist... Mostly mountain but also road. I live in Arizona where I can ride outside most of the year. I serve on our local mountain bike club committee (called Prescott Mountain Bike Alliance). I am a mom of a 2 year old daughter, Josie, that also loves riding her balance bike. I'm sure I'll post some pictures of her sometime. My husband is a mountain biker too, mostly technical all mountain or downhill riding. we are definitely a bike family.

I look forward to joining in this group and to continuing my journey to weight loss. I would love to get some advice from other cyclists on how they have had success with fitness and weight loss.
  • Jomoli
    Jomoli Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    I should have mentioned my name... I am Lisa
  • StoneColdFoxx
    StoneColdFoxx Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    having been on a bike since I was a girl... but the desire is definitely there...I think for my half way goal weight a reward of a new bike might be in order :)
  • broadsword7
    Options
    Welcome to the group youngmonkey (Lisa) and StoneColdFoxx! Y'all enjoy and be safe out there!
  • DrIanKellar
    DrIanKellar Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    New to the community side of MFP. I've been cycling on and off since I was a kid, but started taking it seriously a couple of years ago. I did my first 200km brevet in 2010, and last year completed a super randonneur series by doing a 200km a 300km, and two 600km brevets. My 200 and 300km were in 70% of the maximum allowed time. If I can do the 400 and 600km in less than 18:54 and 28:00 hours respectively, I'll be eligible for the R70 award, except it's not done in the UK. It's just something to keep me focused. One of my 600 was under 80%. so my fallback is to get the R80 award by doing the 400km in 21:36. My schedule for the year is

200km February 19th
    300km March 24th
    600km May 14th
    400km June 16th

Details of the R80/70/60 here for anyone interested - http://cyclosmontagnards.blogspot.com/2009/03/challenge-for-randonneurs-r80-r70-and.html
  • Evenbetter
    Evenbetter Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Hi All Cycling Comrades and Comradettes,
    I started cycling seriously in 2007, after 30 years of serious running, and I never looked back! I live in Northern California and get to enjoy the sport year round. I love to climb, although have to admit I'm quite a turtle. I have done the Markleeville Death Ride twice. In 2009 did the Bike Tour of Colorado. This March we are headed for Utah to do the Skinny Tire Event in Moab and will be bringing the Mt Bikes for good measure. I'm fortunate enough to be retired and HEALTHY! I look forward to getting involved with the group here. I love to hear about what other cyclists from other parts of the country are doing on the bike.
    Nan
  • broadsword7
    Options
    Welcome DrMekon and Evenbetter! Great to have yall here!

Keep the rubber side down!
  • Tracey_Smith
    Options
    Hi Everyone

I'm Trace, I started cycling last year and did my first sportive in April, my sportives last year were about about 65 miles in length over the toughest climbs around Yorkshire, Lancashire and Cumbria (Home of the awesome Lake District). The longest ride was the Great Yorkshire Bike Ride in June, 73 miles in 4hrs 11 mins. I was so proud when I finished it. My last sportive was the King of the Pennines. I lost my cycling mojo a little after this, it had been an incredibly difficult year with loads of rides but personal issues and work was pants as well. I'm just getting back in the swing with my first ride out planned for 26.02.12, 50 miles through Yorkshire can't wait. Hoping to do it better this year and training is already under way. Just hope the weather would clear a little. Roll on spring time xx
  • runnercheryl
    runnercheryl Posts: 1,314 Member
    Options
    Hello everyone!

Have just joined this group - hopefully starting cycling tomorrow, and looking forward to getting going so thought I'd have a look around here and see what I can use to inspire and motivate!

Plan to take it very easy at first. Haven't used my bike since my early teenage years, and the idea of cycling on a road with cars terrifies me, so I'll be sticking to early morning and late night rides at first. Have bought a folding bike, so I'll also be able to pack it into my car and make my way to parks and beauty spots to cycle somewhere quiet.

Bike's currently in the shop being built and made roadworthy - hoping they call me tomorrow to tell me I can pick it up!
  • broadsword7
    Options
    Hiya and welcome to Tracey and Cheryl! Have fun here and keep the rubber side down!
  • trijoe
    trijoe Posts: 729 Member
    Options
    Okay here goes.

I'm new to this group. I race triathlons, and generally train the same on the bike. So my primary toy is my 2009 Kestrel Talon TT. I had a mid-90's LeMond, but sold it and used the proceeds to buy a 2012 Bianchi Volpe cross bike. I live a mile from The Katy Trail, in Missouri USA. It's a 250M rails to trails state park. Flat, paved gravel. Hence the cross bike.

Took it for its first ride today. I think it's going to have a very happy home. I put a rack on it, and need to add some saddlebags. Wineries lurk roughly 20 miles from our house down the Katy, so it'd be nice to zip down on a Saturday, pick up a bottle or two, and zip on home. A little something for the wife. I get a great workout, and she gets wine. Life is beautiful.
  • StuAblett
    Options
    Welcome TriJoe!
  • broadsword7
    Options
    Welcome TriJoe, and congrats on the acquisition of a Bianchi! Let us know how the wine runs go!