x- Welcome all cyclists! -x

Options

Replies

• findyourtempo
    Options
    Hi!

I thought I would take a few minutes to introduce myself. I just got back on my bike after several years, and have about 100 pounds to lose. I am "biking for my life." I live in the Minneapolis/Saint Paul metro area, the most bike friendly city in America. I just bought a TerraTrike and I am set. My daughter and I are going to bike to "grandma's house" in Wisconsin in about a month, and I am getting ready. It's about 100 miles. I am just beginning my journey.

I am using the BodyMedia device, which does not sync to myfitnesspal, so I am trying to figure out what I will log here at this site. I love the BodyMedia device.

I think I've lost a couple of pounds in the last week! Yayyy, but I've got to stay the path. I started blogging about my rides at www.bikingformylife.wordpress.com.

Looking forward to connecting.
  • scott091501
    scott091501 Posts: 1,260 Member
    Options
    Hi. Scott here. 35 years old with a wife and 2 daughters. Pretty much picked up cycling because I entered a triathlon on a dare. Started out on a cheap bikes direct bike and now I'm on an Orbea Ordu. Currently waiting on Ironman Texas to open registration for 2013 so I can register for my first Ironman. I'm also highly intrigued by crit racing and may venture in that direction soon.
  • sweetybird09
    sweetybird09 Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    Hi I just joined the team, my name is Joyce I am 52 years old and I was riding a stationary bike, then a few weeks ago, my husband and I got bikes and I LOVE it, we have a bike trail behind our house that leads to the ocean, we are building up our endurance to be able to make that 16+ mile ride...ok to some that is not a lot of miles but when you are just starting out its a lot...we ride almost 7 miles at a stretch at this point, we started the first day with 2, so we are getting better.

I am enjoying reading the different posts, if anyone wants to friend me feel free to do so.

Oh my goals are to lose weight and get in better shape to be able to get off some of the medications I am on.
  • aadams0105
    Options
    Hi, I'm Alissa! I'm 27 and live in Arkansas! I'm just getting back into cycling and looking forward to trying out several of the new trails that were just put in by our Parks and Recreation! I'd rather be biking than running any day!! Feel free to add me if you'd like!
  • stockyjonjon
    stockyjonjon Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Hi I'm jonny 26 yrs old and live in Brisbane. Used to do alot of cycling at university and am keen to get back in shape.
    Feel free to add me if you like!
  • Altarian
    Altarian Posts: 230 Member
    Options
    Hello y'all. name's Altarian, not birth name but what i do by on here. From South Dakota, don't worry if you don't know where it is. After 20 years of not riding a bike i decided to get my bike out of my parents work shop and start riding again. My bike goal is first and for most to get into shape and lose weight. But my ultimate bike goal is to do the Tour De Kota (http://www.tourdekota.com/). I average 25+ miles a week since i stopped driving my car to work and started riding my bike. Add me if you want, just let me know why you want to add me. Best to you all on your ride's
  • cpaman87
    cpaman87 Posts: 193 Member
    Options
    My name is Rob. Started cycling 2 months ago. Do a 30 mile on weekends and a 15 mile during the week. Hit the gym twice a week also. Hoping this will help keep the weight off this time.
  • Lisaherbalmomma
    Options
    Hi, My name is Lisa and I, of course, joined MFP to lose weight. Short story: I am 46 and need to lose around 60+lbs, recently lost 9lbs, have thyroid issues, mom of five, wife to Bob, blah, blah, blah. Anyway, I started walking and wanted to do a little walk/run. The shin splints set in and hurt like crazy! I've always had issues with shin splints even when walking so hubby got out my bicycle. This is where I need help. We just ride our bikes for fun. I have a schwinn 21 speed and need a little advice on the proper way to use the gears. I just use them instinctively, but not because I have any knowledge of how to use them. I will be road riding mostly, but would like to do some rougher terrain. Which some of my roads are gravel as we live in country. My tires aren't just a street tire, it has some decent tred, but I don't think it's a full-fledged mountain bike tire. Anyway, should I set the gears so it's work to pedal on easy roads and easy to peddle on gravel? Any suggestions are welcome. Thanks! Lisa P.S. feel free to add me as a friend!
  • krue1971
    krue1971 Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    I guess I should introduce myself, I am Krue, I live in the muggy south and I ride mountain bikes for the most part. I have two full suspension bikes one of which is set up as a single speed. I race beginner class 40-49 and usually finish midpack. I got a deal on a tri bike but since I can't ride aero I put road bars on it and ride it occasionally.
  • vb4evr
    vb4evr Posts: 615 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone. Name is Jason and I'm 36. New recruit to the group and to road biking. Just picked up a Giant TCR alloy road bike and am amping up to start with first using my own power to make it to work (approx 12miles each way) and go from there. Looking forward to the group =)
  • MiserCatulle
    MiserCatulle Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Hallo all! I go by Reenie. I'm been 'biking' to school and around town since I was young, but this year I finally settled in the flat Midwest, so I'm hoping to take up cycling as an alternative to hiking and climbing in the Whites. I recently acquired a Cannondale Touring model as well, so I'm setting a (distant) future goal of going on a half-country tour! For now though I'm just trying to build up my stamina and shed a few extra pounds. Glad I found this group!
  • warpedlogic
    Options
    Hi all! I'm Garret and am 29 from California. Over the past year and 6 months I've lost 100 lbs. Started at 319 and am now at 218. :bigsmile: I've been looking to get more active in my daily life aside from going to the gym so a couple weeks ago I decided to start biking to work. I picked up a GT Traffic 4 and away I went. My ride to work is only 3 miles one way, but this past saturday I found the stamina to ride 16 miles at a speed of about 14 mph avg. I look forward to getting to know you all and talking with you!
  • sherwinnelson
    sherwinnelson Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Hello everyone. I am new to cycling. I am training for my first long ride (long for me @ 47 miles) on September 1. I am super excited about the ride and connecting with other cyclists for inspiration on MFP.

I dropped off my bike today for its first tune up and cleaning. I actually feel a little withdrawal. :sad:
  • Hi_Im_Jess
    Hi_Im_Jess Posts: 347 Member
    Options
    My name is Jess. I live in Quens NY. I bought myself a single speed SE Bike last month. I am very new to cycling. My goal right now is to make it over the 59th street bridge from Queens into Manhattan. I tried to do it the other night and barely made it halfway. I was really disappointed but I'll be there again tonight and as many times as necessary until I make it all the way over.. Then I'll have to figure out how to get back :)
  • reneepugh
    reneepugh Posts: 522 Member
    Options
    I am Renee a wife and mother of 3 who just started riding my mountain bike 6 miles to and from work every day. Love the fresh air. My endurance is low and have to slow down a couple times during my trek. Trying to work on being able to go up hill and not huff and puff so much. I will continue to ride though, weather permitted. ;-)
  • ferb03
    ferb03 Posts: 82
    Options
    Hi I am Ferb03 (as in Fur Bee 03) and am from Ohio. Been riding regularly for three-years and mostly from April to November. Just not a cold weather person. Accomplished a personal best yesterday when I did 53.5 miles in four hours and on minute. Doing the Horizontal Hundred in Findlay Ohio next month and would love to complete at least 75-miles which would be another personal best.
  • StuAblett
    StuAblett Posts: 1,141 Member
    Options
    Welcome Renee and ferb03! :drinker:
  • Twomirrors
    Twomirrors Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    Hi!

I'm Temira, and I live in Hood River, Oregon. I ride road and mountain bikes. Lucky me... I live in an awesome place for both! I ski and windsurf and kayak and do all sorts of fun outdoor stuff. I run a website about Gorge activities: http://www.thegorgeismygym.com.

Anyway, I joined MFP just so I could get faster on a bike. I've gone from 14mph flat ground to 17.5mph flat ground by dropping 20lbs or so. Hooray!

Friend me! And if you're in Oregon, let's go for a ride.

Temira
  • mywoodshop69
    Options
    Hey all.
    Neil here. Great place this MFP. Everyone is on the same page. Fitness, friends & fun. Anyway i 'm out in "beautiful" British Columbia where we all go out in the fresh air & the woods. I just recently got back into mountain biking. You know how it goes when the family starts. Time gets shorter. Money gets less, but your waist line gets bigger. It was time to put a stop to it.

Mid life crisis I think. I'm also on a great kick with the 'Grouse Grind' we have up here. Natures stair master they say. If your up here in Vancouver and lookin for a mountain *kitten* kicking and someone to hike up it with, give me a jingle.

talk soon!
  • lexagon
    lexagon Posts: 495 Member
    Options
    Guess I should introduce myself - oops kinda forgot!

31, female, central/so cal - got on MFP almost a year ago with weight lifting and basic cardio (elliptical) to better my health basically. Got tired of being unhealthy!

Just started biking again a few months ago (May/June I think). Used to bike all the time in my younger years. Finally decided to go out and purchase a new bike to get some more fun workouts in. I was running, but it would get boring for me after a while. Being on a bike is so much better for me. Picked up a Trek 8.4 DS for starters. Ride mostly on our bike path, but sometimes will ride on some hard-packed dirt/sand trails that we have. Weekday rides = 10 mi Weekend rides = 20 mi I'm trying to work my way up to more on the weekends. My stamina is slowly getting better. Thinking about test riding some road bikes (we can rent them at a LBS here).

Anyway, sayin hi! :)