x- Welcome all cyclists! -x

Options

Replies

• t3299
    t3299 Posts: 3
    Options
    Hi Everyone!

Last week I finally gave up on my failed attempts at running/walking because of my bad knees from years of playing competitive soccer. Jumped on the mountain bike I have for short trips to the market (<1km) and my outreach activities (at most 3km) and since last Saturday put in over 237km! Don't know why I didn't start before! Today I rode 75km round trip to go to a mountain in the south of my province and check out a pre-Angkorian temple. Being out on the road and cycling through rice fields and the country side was the most incredible experience. Best part- my knees didn't bother me once!

Now that I have found something I'm excited to do every day and enjoy while doing, I can't wait to put more miles on my bike and explore more of the great country I currently live in!
  • broadsword7
    broadsword7 Posts: 411 Member
    Options
    Hi t3299, and welcome to the group! So glad you have discovered (or rediscovered) the joy! May it continue to be a wonderful part of the entire adventure of life!
  • cyclingben
    cyclingben Posts: 346 Member
    Options
    Good day to all.. Im new to this group. I started cycling last year in June when i was my heaviest at 420. I had a Trek Pure Sport that my mom had bought me to help me loose weight and i started riding in the Texas heat starting in June 11. I started 7 miles a day then moved up to 12. I set a goal to ride the 48 mile ride in the Cow Town Classic in Ft. Worth Texas in September....It was an experience to say the least. It took me about 4.5 hrs to finish because the hills were killer, But i finished. I end up riding in the Wish100 and 2 other events in the 11 season. I got down about 50 lbs then gained 10 back during nov/dec because of not exercising and watching what i ate. Right now im Down a total of 58 Lbs and going strong. I am riding in the MS150 - Dallas ride in may. 150 miles in 2 days. I am working on getting down another 16 lbs then im going to buy me a road bike. I had a Trek 2.1 but i sold it because it didn't fit me right. Im 6'2 with a long torso. Im looking forward to a big event year and i plan on participating in at least 12 events this year. In march im planning on doing my first century. I love this website...kindof addicting but i have my own support system on here. Its awesome.

- Ben J
    Dallas,TX
  • broadsword7
    Options
    Welcome adjusterben! Glad you joined our group, and happy riding to you!
  • StuAblett
    StuAblett Posts: 1,141 Member
    Options
    Good day to all.. Im new to this group. I started cycling last year in June when i was my heaviest at 420. I had a Trek Pure Sport that my mom had bought me to help me loose weight and i started riding in the Texas heat starting in June 11. I started 7 miles a day then moved up to 12. I set a goal to ride the 48 mile ride in the Cow Town Classic in Ft. Worth Texas in September....It was an experience to say the least. It took me about 4.5 hrs to finish because the hills were killer, But i finished. I end up riding in the Wish100 and 2 other events in the 11 season. I got down about 50 lbs then gained 10 back during nov/dec because of not exercising and watching what i ate. Right now im Down a total of 58 Lbs and going strong. I am riding in the MS150 - Dallas ride in may. 150 miles in 2 days. I am working on getting down another 16 lbs then im going to buy me a road bike. I had a Trek 2.1 but i sold it because it didn't fit me right. Im 6'2 with a long torso. Im looking forward to a big event year and i plan on participating in at least 12 events this year. In march im planning on doing my first century. I love this website...kindof addicting but i have my own support system on here. Its awesome.

- Ben J
    Dallas,TX

Welcome Ben!

I've done a similar thing as you, and I too am working on it with the bike!
  • jodyburton
    Options
    Greetings!

I joined MFP earlier this month and found this group last weekend. Decided to stop just lurking and join.

Me: I'm a former Marine, married for 23+ years, currently a training coordinator for a manufacturing company. I've always enjoyed cycling, but didn't start using it specifically for fitness until 1997 when my company joined a corporate challenge organized by the local YMCA. I was in excellent health and shape, riding and doing circuit training regularly. In 2005, my wife had some health issues and I took on a 2nd job. The next year, I was promoted to my current job and I began working longer hours at my company, but was able to give up the 2nd job. Cycling fell by the wayside and I gained weight. Last year, I made an effort to get back on the bike and started to lose weight. It's been off and on, but I'm down 23 pounds from a year ago. Still hope to lose another 10 pounds with the help of cycling and MFP.

My bike: Nothing fancy. A Ross 12-speed I bought brand new from the LBS in '97, stem shifters and all. What I have found is the motor is far more important than the gear. That doesn't mean I don't have carbon envy, though. lol My bike is currently married to a mag trainer for the winter.

My riding: All road, mostly solo. I suffer from turbo syndrome. Not that I'm fast, just that I have a tendency to push myself as hard as I can maintain all the time, with the occasional interval training thrown in. A major focus of my indoor training this winter will be structuring recovery rides and such. I hope to complete the Ride Across Indiana (RAIN Ride) this summer, as I did in 2002 and 2004.

Glad to have a place to share ideas and successes with fellow cyclists!

- Jody
  • KitTheRoadie
    KitTheRoadie Posts: 641 Member
    Options
    Hi All!

Great to see so many like minded people on here! :O)

I am Chris, I'm 34 & 3/4, I live in the South West of the UK and I have been cycling on and off for as long as I can remember. I started serious road riding in 2007 when I entered and completed the London to Paris, the great thing about that ride is you get to see the last stage of the Tour De France, which was totally amazing! :O)

I like to do local charity rides, Audaxes and Sportives (when I'm feeling brave!)...

This year I have 4 events lined up so far and that culminates with a century ride in October, which will be my first!

I ride a Dave Hinde Etape Sport frame on a 105 groupset. Hoping this year to go carbon but got other stuff on at the mo so we'll wait and see....

I started a "calling all cyclists" topic in the Team UK forum so if you're from good ol blighty, please pop over and say hi!

Ride safe everyone!
  • StuAblett
    Options
    Greetings!

I joined MFP earlier this month and found this group last weekend. Decided to stop just lurking and join.

Me: I'm a former Marine, married for 23+ years, currently a training coordinator for a manufacturing company. I've always enjoyed cycling, but didn't start using it specifically for fitness until 1997 when my company joined a corporate challenge organized by the local YMCA. I was in excellent health and shape, riding and doing circuit training regularly. In 2005, my wife had some health issues and I took on a 2nd job. The next year, I was promoted to my current job and I began working longer hours at my company, but was able to give up the 2nd job. Cycling fell by the wayside and I gained weight. Last year, I made an effort to get back on the bike and started to lose weight. It's been off and on, but I'm down 23 pounds from a year ago. Still hope to lose another 10 pounds with the help of cycling and MFP.

My bike: Nothing fancy. A Ross 12-speed I bought brand new from the LBS in '97, stem shifters and all. What I have found is the motor is far more important than the gear. That doesn't mean I don't have carbon envy, though. lol My bike is currently married to a mag trainer for the winter.

My riding: All road, mostly solo. I suffer from turbo syndrome. Not that I'm fast, just that I have a tendency to push myself as hard as I can maintain all the time, with the occasional interval training thrown in. A major focus of my indoor training this winter will be structuring recovery rides and such. I hope to complete the Ride Across Indiana (RAIN Ride) this summer, as I did in 2002 and 2004.

Glad to have a place to share ideas and successes with fellow cyclists!

- Jody

Welcome Jody!

you are so right about the motor being the most important aspect of a bike :happy:
  • StuAblett
    Options
    Hi All!

Great to see so many like minded people on here! :O)

I am Chris, I'm 34 & 3/4, I live in the South West of the UK and I have been cycling on and off for as long as I can remember. I started serious road riding in 2007 when I entered and completed the London to Paris, the great thing about that ride is you get to see the last stage of the Tour De France, which was totally amazing! :O)

I like to do local charity rides, Audaxes and Sportives (when I'm feeling brave!)...

This year I have 4 events lined up so far and that culminates with a century ride in October, which will be my first!

I ride a Dave Hinde Etape Sport frame on a 105 groupset. Hoping this year to go carbon but got other stuff on at the mo so we'll wait and see....

I started a "calling all cyclists" topic in the Team UK forum so if you're from good ol blighty, please pop over and say hi!

Ride safe everyone!

Welcome Chris! :happy:
  • broadsword7
    Options
    Welcome Jody and Chris! Three great places to be: MFP, this group, and anywhere on a bike!
  • ddroth
    ddroth Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    I joined MFP about 15 days ago and I race bicycles for a team here in New York. I have been to Master Nationals and have 2 Bronze medals from the Empire State Games ( Olympics of the state).I have been racing for 9 years now and I'm 6'3" and I was
    racing around 180lbs. I have been a food nut and health person for a long time BUT with MFP I can see much more. I'm just trying
    to get to 165lb for race season which in cycling weight is everything. I train 6 days a week and have a coach out of Colorado. I do ride outside in the winter here on weekends with a fix gear bike with fenders. Helps with endurance/ weight loss. I'm working hard right now for my annual trip to the Blue Ridge Mountains for 6 days of 1,000ft of climbing per 10 miles and get in 5,000ft per day..I come back from that and start my season with Battenkill race outside of Albany. 63 miles of hard!!! If I can help anyone with training
    tips or just talk about cycling I'm game...People just don't get what it is like to race the bike over 60+miles and what it takes.. I like to tell people that "you want a good burning fuel in your body not crap">>> Thanks, Dwight
  • broadsword7
    Options
    Welcome ddroth!
  • jrrflr
    jrrflr Posts: 109
    Options
    Hi everyone! My name is Jason. I joined MFP in January while looking for a calorie counter tool. I began road cycling 2 years ago as part of a lifestyle transformation and to help me lose weight. Within a year, cycling helped me lose 121 pounds and get well below the top end of the BMI "normal" range. As most cyclists do, I put on a few pounds after the riding season ended and the weather got cooler, but I am confident those 8 pounds will go away again soon after the riding picks up.

For now, I am glad to get our and ride whenever the weather permits (which isn't very often where I live). Glad to have found this group (friend me if you would like). Happy pedaling!
  • broadsword7
    Options
    Welcome Jason! And congrats on the lifestyle change and weight loss!
  • StuAblett
    Options
    Welcome Jason, that is an amazing thing you have done for yourself!:drinker:
  • TRHuston
    TRHuston Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    Hi all! Just joined MFP a few days ago. I'm super excited to have found a bike community on here. A few weeks ago, I joined a bike racing team. The guidelines are pretty relaxed, but we do have to ride in at least 6 races this season. One down so far. My husband and I have signed up for two later this summer that are 100+ miles. I know there will be some pain, but that's ok. Just wondering what any of you experienced century riders would suggest for training. The longest I've ridden is about 75 miles. I know logging miles is helpful, but I am interested in gaining speed. Please help a lady out. And Happy Trails!
  • StuAblett
    Options
    Welcome TRHuston!!
    Just wondering what any of you experienced century riders would suggest for training. The longest I've ridden is about 75 miles. I know logging miles is helpful, but I am interested in gaining speed. Please help a lady out. And Happy Trails!

Up your mileage week by week, ride by ride, you don't need to ride a full 100 miles before you do a full 100 mile race, but I'd get to say 75 miles without having any trouble before you do the full 100. Give your body a week off before the race and learn to eat, drink on the bike, the biggest problem I see with long rides for beginners is they stop too often and don't consume enough. "ABC" Always Be Consuming" is what I was taught, water is even more important as the temp climbs, if it is hot, you want to go thru a lot more water. Bike fit is also very important, if you bike don't fit your body, you will suffer, and needlessly.

How about we start a thread for just this topic?

I'll go and do that, OK?

Good to have you on board!

Cheers!
  • beachgrad05
    beachgrad05 Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    Glad to have found this site and group. I am a beginner cyclist with a lot of weight to lose. It is a bit uncomfortable wearing cycling clothing considering my current state of fitness....but I like how much more comfortable and reduces my wind resistance (at least if feels that way). My goals are to lose enough weight to reward myself with a Trek Madone 3.1 (least expensive carbon frame bike). I currently cannot keep up with the one local club that rides as I am neither fit enough nor do I have a bike that can keep up. Purchased my Trek 7.2FX WSD last summer and am using it for commuting to work (tho that only recently). I plan on keeping the FX for commuting as it is great for that but as a road bike it is lacking. Are there any other women here?
  • StuAblett
    Options
    Glad to have found this site and group. I am a beginner cyclist with a lot of weight to lose. It is a bit uncomfortable wearing cycling clothing considering my current state of fitness....but I like how much more comfortable and reduces my wind resistance (at least if feels that way). My goals are to lose enough weight to reward myself with a Trek Madone 3.1 (least expensive carbon frame bike). I currently cannot keep up with the one local club that rides as I am neither fit enough nor do I have a bike that can keep up. Purchased my Trek 7.2FX WSD last summer and am using it for commuting to work (tho that only recently). I plan on keeping the FX for commuting as it is great for that but as a road bike it is lacking. Are there any other women here?

Welcome to the group!

Yes, there are lots of women on here, and they are avid cyclist!

Cheers!
  • broadsword7
    Options
    Welcome TRHuston and Beachgrad05!