x- Welcome all cyclists! -x

Options

Replies

• RoadkingDavid
    RoadkingDavid Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    My name is David. I haven't cycled on the road since my 20's. Now I'm 100 pounds down, 50 more to my ideal cycling weight, and just bought a 2013 Giant Defy 1 Composite. I have ridden maybe 60 miles on her so far. Please feel free to add me. I'm looking for more cycling friends.
  • 3319jane
    3319jane Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    Hi Everyone

Just spotted this thread and realised I hadn't introduced myself properly, so apologies for that!

I got back on a bike last September after 25 years and found that I really enjoyed it, so have been using it as my main exercise since then and try to get out for at least a couple of hours each weekend.

I am an off road cyclist, if at all possible, although I am going to start commuting on my bike tomorrow, fingers crossed :smile:

Got a fair bit more weight to lose and I am hoping that cycling is going to help with that too.

J
  • kathym1122
    kathym1122 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    hey
    I'm new to the group I have been road cycling and joined MFP in January like some friends with same interest
    kathy
  • umer76
    umer76 Posts: 1,272 Member
    Options
    Hi Everyone,
    I am an amateur cyclist and just started cycling last summer after a long time. I started last year modestly but I have come a long way (as per my standards) and able to cycle 29 km in108 min is my best score to date:) I know you guys really do long distances but I will take some time to match up. I am mostly doing road cycling and managing many uphills and downhills as I live in cold and cloudy Norway.

I would love to commute to my office on my bike but have not done that yet. My target for June is 180km. I mostly ride over the weekends but with sunny weather arriving I will try to cycly on weekdays too.

I hope this group will be helpful in improving my cycling experience and help me develop more endurance. Please feel free to add me in your friends list, that will be great. Umer
  • Wystaria
    Wystaria Posts: 12
    Options
    Hello! My name is Nancy and I just purchased my first adult bike. I have always had an exercise bike and have taken spin class, but I was really anxious to get outside this year!
    I own a Liv/Giant Escape 3 - Hybrid. I hope to log a lot of miles this summer and boost my weight loss!
  • momof4greatkids1
    momof4greatkids1 Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    My name is Colleen and I have a cycling problem. :-) But I have absolutely no intention of quitting! Ever!
  • mickynieuwoudt
    mickynieuwoudt Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Hi, Micky's my name. Been road cycling just over a year now. Had a knee atroscopy 7 weeks ago ( to repair 2 meniscus tears and a plica fold ), and still struggling to get back on form. Been doing 60 min on my IDT just trying not to loose my cardio. Anyone out there that has had the same operation? and how long until you were 100% back on the road again?
  • TheBigYin
    TheBigYin Posts: 5,682 Member
    Options
    Hi, Micky's my name. Been road cycling just over a year now. Had a knee atroscopy 7 weeks ago ( to repair 2 meniscus tears and a plica fold ), and still struggling to get back on form. Been doing 60 min on my IDT just trying not to loose my cardio. Anyone out there that has had the same operation? and how long until you were 100% back on the road again?

Back in 2010 I had something similar - I had a over-the-bars episode and landed heavily (as heavily as a (then) 350+lb person does!) with the main point of impact being my knee. Resulted in basically "popping" the pre-patellar bursa and nipping 2 others. Had quite a bit of reconstruction work via arthroscopy - plus a couple of cortisone treatments. Basically, it took me nearly 2 months before I'd regained sufficient mobilty to get back onto the indoor trainer. It took almost another 5 weeks to build up to a hour of riding without the knee locking solid the following day.

From there, it's been a steady process of building distance, then increasing frequency of rides, then back to increasing distance at lower frequency and repeating the loop. Eventually, I got up to a couple of hours a ride 3 days on-1 day off. At that point, I started working in increasing the intensity (read speed and "hillyness") of the rides.

I'm still not 100% back on the road though - as soon as the thermometer hits 25F or below, I'm back on the indoor trainer and riding there instead.
  • GiddyNZ
    GiddyNZ Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    Hi All,

My name is Helen, I joined MFP 120 days ago today, and this group a couple of days ago.. I have been mountain biking for a number of years, but really got in to it a couple of years ago.. my partner lives and breathes cycling (hobby, passion and job) so it was always going to happen!

I go to the gym 3 - 4 times a week, and try to get out for at least one ride per weekend of about 30 - 40km.. although we are coming into winter now (the rain is pouring down outside as I type this) so we will see how I get on.. lol.

I have agreed to do a ride called the Rainbow Rage with my friend Jenna in March 2014, it is 106km mountain bike ride, so I am hoping to get in enough riding to work up to that.. my longest mountain bike ride to date was 70km along part of the Timber trail and then on the road into the small town of Taumarunui.. then I went out the next day and rode another 30km, so getting there :happy:

Keen to get some fellow cyclist friends on here :flowerforyou:
  • KaLaBK
    KaLaBK Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Hi all

I am training to go to France later this year and ride some of the big ones. Have had lots of dietary issues that have set back the schedule, but think I have got a plan now. I am interested in anyone who has worked out the balance between a tough training regime and having limited carbohydrate options to each (ie no sugar, wheat, rye, oats). Looking forward to hearing from some of you.

Training includes increasingly difficult hill rides, indoor trainer (cause its winter here), weights and yoga to keep the back flexible! Got three other not so young women I am riding with which means we arent interested in how fast we climb!!
  • kitkat4141
    kitkat4141 Posts: 379 Member
    Options
    Can't believe it took me so long to discover this group!

I am a spinning aficionado who just got an adult road bike last year and is now learning how to ride. Hubby and I are doing a cycling tour in 3 weeks and it's pretty intense. Trying to get in as much road time as possible prior to the tour and researching everything I need to know. I'm especially interested in the nutrition aspect of fueling the body for a multi-day ride.

I'll be busy tonight reading all the topics in this group, LOL.
  • Blesmols
    Blesmols Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    Hello everyone! I'm a casual biker. I had to quit it because I had an illness but this year I'm looking into getting back into it. My other half bikes to work every day, round trip 8 miles, and it's making me antsy because I'd like to roll! LOL We do it collectively because of the tremendous gas savings. Last year we saved nearly $1,200 in gas from just his biking too and from work, in conjunction with combining trips elsewhere. We have a rather challenging trip from our house. We live in the country so we have to deal with state route traffic, steep hills, and other assorted challenges. The up side is the town was founded on a love for biking and we have extensive trails available. The miners that founded this town biked everywhere!

Anyhow, I figured if you all don't mind putting up with a noob and a casual biker, I'd like to stick around. Eventually, I'd like to step up from casual riding, if my health allows. Thank you for having me here! :bigsmile:
  • Hi! I'm Jenn. I'm totally new to this sport. I am 31 and this is the first time I have been on a bike in about 20 years. Sad. My dad used to race and commute, would average 400 miles a week, and his cycling habit ($$) is a small part of the reason my parents got divorced. A few years ago he gave me one of his bikes, I call it the Dad Franken Bike. It is a Nishiki Mtn bike that he customized to make a commuter/city bike, he changed the levers, it has flat bars, he put road tires on it, and I think he shortened the bars also, and it is an 18 (or 21) speed which I am totally baffled by. None of this I understand except that I've been told it is a really nice bike. I think he paid $800 for it on sale.

It sat in a shed in Massachusetts and then in a garage in TN for about 10 years. I was recently on his fold up bike when I went camping and realized this is way more fun than running. And since I have a sciatic tumor, way less painful. So, when I got home I took my bike to the "bike hospital" (really is what they call it, it is the 7th oldest bike shop in the country). Dad paid to have it fixed up pretty and got me a basic computer.

I got it back Monday and I have ridden it twice. Pathetically so. The first time was 13 minutes and 1.5 miles and the second time (yesterday) was 21 minutes (17 min ride time) and 2.4 miles. I'm painfully slow, but we have lots of hills here so that helps :). I'm terrified of traffic but I took it on a small stretch of real road yesterday and didn't get run over. Yay.

So, I'm looking to add friends because I have a million questions and I'm so confused... like... how do you wash your shorts? There are apparently a thousand different opinions on this. And all the gear you need and all the technical stuff and my brain can't handle this.

And unlike running, there isn't a lot of info out there, especially for women.

So, feel free to add me and sorry for rambling.

Thanks!
    Jenn
  • TheBigYin
    TheBigYin Posts: 5,682 Member
    Options
    how do you wash your shorts?

Simple - after every ride, as they're effectively underwear - even the expensive Assos and Castelli's get washed in the machine, inside out, within a mesh "washing bag" to prevent zippers on other kit catching the lycra, on the hand wash wool / delicates 20c setting using non-biological washing products and no conditioners or anything else.

That's pretty much the routine for all the road-riding kit - the MTB kit get's much the same but after muddy/filthy rides, it'll get a pre-wash outside, with the garden hose, after cleaning the bike, and while i'm wearing it :laugh:
  • eddie8131
    eddie8131 Posts: 600 Member
    Options
    Hi my name is Ed and I wanted to share that I have been cycling since 2008. I am 46 years old (turning 47 this Saturday) and have always struggled with my weight, but cycling has been something athletic that I could actually do and do well. The key has been not caring what I perceive others are thinking when I ride by; not worrying about what I look like, or how fast I am going in relation to other cyclists. Back then I was around 300 pounds yet managed to ride over 900 miles that summer and got up to a 72 mile ride. Since then I've done 3 centuries and will do my 4th in late August. I love the long rides - it's great to get out into the sunshine and to smell the smells in the boondocks. Since I am a slower rider (I ride a Trek 7500 hybrid) at about 12-13 mph on average, I don't usually have anyone to ride with. I am part of a bike club but on the rare time that I ride with them it's usually for the first mile lol. Riding alone for 50+ miles can be boring but I've learned not to care about that either. Trust me I've had some pretty interesting conversations with myself. :))))

Anyways, if anyone's reading this who thinks they are too heavy to ride or it's too hard, I'd like to encourage you to try. It has totally changed my outlook on what my body is capable of. I'm pretty active on here, if you think you'd like to, please feel free to add me as a friend on here. Thanks!
  • mickynieuwoudt
    mickynieuwoudt Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    How many cortisone shots did you have? Had one 3 weeks ago and my knee still very sore. Thinking of going for a second opinion. Started swimming, and building alot of muscle , but no riding :( Our cycling season starts now until March and I am so frustrated with this knee!!!!!!!! I need to ride!!!
  • tallmansix
    Options
    Hi, I'm Phil and I am a cycloholic.

I've been cycling daily since I gave up my car 2 years ago. I cycle to work daily and take my dog on a run while I cycle as well. All my transport is cycling, shopping, getting around with the kids on their bikes, everything basically. I cover about 70-100 miles per week. I completed a 52 mile time trial this year.

I cycle on the cheap though, basic but reliable bike with rack and pans. It's a workhorse for both road and trail and has proved more reliable than my cars have in the past.
  • Frannybobs
    Frannybobs Posts: 741 Member
    Options
    Hi, I'm Phil and I am a cycloholic.

I've been cycling daily since I gave up my car 2 years ago. I cycle to work daily and take my dog on a run while I cycle as well. All my transport is cycling, shopping, getting around with the kids on their bikes, everything basically. I cover about 70-100 miles per week. I completed a 52 mile time trial this year.

I cycle on the cheap though, basic but reliable bike with rack and pans. It's a workhorse for both road and trail and has proved more reliable than my cars have in the past.

Wow, good on you for giving the car up completely - especially when you have children and through the harsh winters.
  • btsinmd
    btsinmd Posts: 921 Member
    Options
    Hi, I'm Donna. I'm 53 and not an athlete at all. I started with MFP last December. First I worked solely on losing weight. Then I started a little bit of basic strength training, body weight exercises mainly. Then I started C25k in early May. Currently I'm doing some sort of strength training three days a week and running three days a week with some stretching work too. In August, after watching some of my friends do a sprint tri; they did it relay fashion; I thought maybe I could do one on my own.

So my goal for next year is a challenge that a local club set out. It is:
    April 2014 a half marathon
    August 2014 a sprint triathalon
    September 2014 another sprint triathalon

To do this I needed to working on swimming and biking.

So on Friday I bought a bike. It is a Trek Lexa. I rode it for about a half an hour on Saturday as that was the only time I had. It is a little scary to ride as I hadn't been on a bike for 30 years, but I didn't fall off it or crash it and started and stopped successfully a few times. I would really like to ride it to work semi-regularly, which is about 8 miles. I will have a bicycle lock by Tuesday. I can do most of the 8 miles on a paved bike trail rather than on a regular road.

It says not to leave it out in the sun, but I pretty much have to if I take it back and forth to work. Should I bring a tarp with me to put over it or is the fall sun probably not that bad? Or was a road bike a poor choice?

Any advice for a really really new road bicycle rider who isn't very young?
  • CharbyOttawa
    CharbyOttawa Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    I've never heard of the sun having a negative effect on a bike. I assume they meant not leaving in permanently chained outside in the blazing sun, as that may damage the seat and the tires. But I've ridden my Trek 7.1 for two summers now, and always park it outside my workplace during the day and in my shed at night. I use a vinyl seat cover, mostly to protect against rain and bird droppings.

My tires are starting to get a bit ratty and cracked, but that is only to be expected after two seasons and over 5500 kms of riding.