Stage 2

Options

Replies

• juicemoogan
    juicemoogan Posts: 999 Member
    Options
    if your new to the gym ask if there is an orientation staff can give you or book a personal trainer session once to learn all the things you need.

Tell them what you want to know so you can get the most out of it.
  • jnh17
    jnh17 Posts: 838 Member
    Options
    Ok, I'm starting Stage 2 next week and I need someone to talk me off the edge. I have switched gyms from an all female gym with limited equipment to a coed gym with lots of choices. However, I went yesterday to figure out starting weights and where everything was and was surprised at how intimidated and self conscious I felt. There was not ONE other female in the free weights area. How do you over come the feeling that you are invading their kingdom? I realized that some of my discomfort came from not really knowing the etiquette. Any ideas for learning the ropes of the gym without just lurking and watching like a perv? :-)

The other thing that will take some getting used to is that things are not located close together. Anyone else have to work around this? How did you work around it?

Sorry to sound like such a noob but I'm definitely outside my comfort zone here.

Trust me, those guys don't care a rip if you're there or not -- and if they do, who cares ;-)?

As far as being spread out, you have 75 seconds in between sets. My gym is spread out too. Many of my lifts are at completely opposite ends of the gym but I like it. I"m moving the entire workout but still giving my muscles time to recover.
  • hypallage
    hypallage Posts: 624 Member
    Options
    I apologise in advance - this has probably been asked several times already....

Starting stage 2 - what sort of weights do you use?

for FSPP - the weight I was using for a shoulder press for stage 1?
  • Kmsnomaha
    Kmsnomaha Posts: 167 Member
    Options

I think that is a good starting point. I used (2) 20 lb dumbells for the shoulder presses and for the FSPP I used a 40 lb bar. It was perfect!
  • karensoxfan
    karensoxfan Posts: 902 Member
    Options
    Ok, I'm starting Stage 2 next week and I need someone to talk me off the edge. I have switched gyms from an all female gym with limited equipment to a coed gym with lots of choices. However, I went yesterday to figure out starting weights and where everything was and was surprised at how intimidated and self conscious I felt. There was not ONE other female in the free weights area. How do you over come the feeling that you are invading their kingdom? I realized that some of my discomfort came from not really knowing the etiquette. Any ideas for learning the ropes of the gym without just lurking and watching like a perv? :-)

The other thing that will take some getting used to is that things are not located close together. Anyone else have to work around this? How did you work around it?

Sorry to sound like such a noob but I'm definitely outside my comfort zone here.

I was nervous about using the free weight area too, but I've found that none of the guys are really paying any attention to me. I go early in the morning (5:00 - 5:30 am starts), so maybe that helps, but there are a few other women there at that time too. The women actually annoy me more than the men. Like the one who was in my way last week doing un-weighted lunges right in between the 2 squat racks. Or the one today who couldn't be bothered alternating sets with me for the cable station (she was alternating it with some pre-weighted barbell curls IN THE CABLE STATION), but the guy at the other cable station volunteered to do so. Another time, when I needed to alternate with someone on the smith machine for my pushups, it was a guy who volunteered to share, and when I needed help figuring out how to move the benches out of my way, it was also a guy who volunteered to show me when I was obviously confused.

As for alternating sets when the equipment isn't conveniently placed, I just use my 75 second rest periods too. And sometimes after I do my first set of a superset, I'll leave my pen, towel & water there, so that people (esp. staff when I leave the dumbbells out) know I'm not done yet. Again, I think working out early in the morning helps here, since the gym isn't usually very crowded at that hour.
  • loricolwill
    loricolwill Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all the suggestions. I went this morning and did Workout A. Although morning is not going to be my normal workout time, this morning it wasn't an issue. The gym wasn't that busy so I didn't feel like I needed to fight for my space. In addition, at least for Workout A, I can do the Front Squat Press and then move to another area where I'm able to complete all the other exercises without moving. Workout B won't be quite that easy because of the Lat pulldowns.

At any rate, after a week off, it felt good getting back to things.

So is anyone else having a hard time holding the bar correctly for the Front Squat? I can't hold it anywhere close to what the book says. Should I lower the weight until I can? Right now the weight is about right for the press part.

I changed up my weight quite a bit for some of the exercises just because of what I have available to me. For example, I went back to using body weight only on the step up, because I'm using a much higher step. I decided to go with one that I know I can get consistently versus using one that was closer to what I was using, but may or may not be available at the time.

Based on this morning's performance and how challenging everything was, I'm not expecting to see a lot of increase in weight this go around, but an improvement in form and performance.

And just in case there is anyone else pressed for time, I did 60 sec recovery periods and it took me about 35 minutes which allowed me a 5 minute stretching period which is usually what gets skipped if I'm pressed for time.
  • karensoxfan
    Options

For FSPP, I think definitely start with the weight you can shoulder press. I was shoulder pressing 40 lb. (20 lb. each hand) at the end of Stage 1, and tried using just the 45 lb. bar for FSPP's, and it was too heavy at the beginning. So I switched to the smaller straight bar (35 lb.), and that was good, then I added 2.5 lb. plates on each side to make it 40 lb. Today was my workout A4, and I was finally able to do 1 set with the 45 lb. bar, and half of my 2nd set, but then I had to drop down to 40 lb. again. I kind of hope these don't come back in later stages, because if they do, I might seriously break them up into regular back squats with separate shoulder presses. I kind of missed back squats and being able to add weight to them. :)

For other moves, I forget all my starting weights, but a lot of them were low. Like cuban snatches and I think 1-point rows, I had to start with 5 lb./hand. Reverse lunges & elevated static lunges might have been 7.5 lb. or 10 lb./hand. Bulgarian split squats were a single 10-lb. plate. I think my first cable woodchops were 15 lb.

Pushups, Lat Pulldowns & Step-ups were pretty much where I left off in stage 1.
  • karensoxfan
    Options

...So is anyone else having a hard time holding the bar correctly for the Front Squat? I can't hold it anywhere close to what the book says. Should I lower the weight until I can? Right now the weight is about right for the press part.

...Based on this morning's performance and how challenging everything was, I'm not expecting to see a lot of increase in weight this go around, but an improvement in form and performance. ...

Yes, I've had a terrible time figuring out the hold for the FSPP. I think I finally got the hang of it today in workout A4 though. I'm able to push my elbows forward for the squat part if I bend my wrists backwards and roll the bar into my fingers, and then press my elbows out to the sides, so they're slightly wider than my hands during the squat part. It wasn't perfect, but it felt better than just leaving my elbows down like I'd been doing.

I wasn't expecting to see much increase either, but I surprised myself by how much improvement I was able to make. Just try increasing a little every time, and if you have to go back down, so what? :)
  • karensoxfan
    Options
    Here's my Workout A start & end stats:

FSPP: 35 lb. --> 45 lb. (couldn't do both sets @ 45 lb. today, but I did 1.5 sets at 45 lb., and the last 5 reps on 40 lb.)

Step-ups: 50 lb. --> 60 lb.

DB 1-pt. row: 20 lb. (10 lb./hand) --> 25 lb. right leg & 30 lb. left leg -- still couldn't balance without tipping for all the reps, but I got 9/10 balanced on my first set today, which was a huge accomplishment! :)

Static lunge: 15 lb. (7.5 lb./hand) --> 30 lb.

Pushups: 7th peg smith machine --> 5th/6th peg smith machine (I can't do 10 reps on the 5th peg, but I can do 5 before I switch back to the 6th peg).

Plank: 60 sec. x 1 (then 30 sec + 30 sec for 2nd set) --> 60 sec. x2

Cable Woodchop: 20 lb. --> 27.5 lb.
  • worthyofchange
    worthyofchange Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    Hey, hey, hey!!!

Finished 4A today!

Here's my workout numbers:

FSPP: 30 lb -> 35 lb
    Step-ups: 30 lb (15 each hand) -> 40 lb
    DB 1-pt row: 30 lb (15 each hand) -> 50 lb (25 each hand)
    Static lunge: 40 lb (20 each hand) -> 40 lb (couldn't make the big jump to 50)
    Push ups: 30 degree angle -> from toes (but I do not go as low as I need to yet)
    Plank: 60 seconds for one set; 30+30 for second set
    Instead of cable woodchop I use the kettle bell suggestion: 10 reps with 10 lb kettlebell -> 12 reps with 12 lb

4B will be Wednesday!
  • karensoxfan
    Options
    Hey, hey, hey!!!

Finished 4A today!

Push ups: 30 degree angle -> from toes (but I do not go as low as I need to yet)
    Instead of cable woodchop I use the kettle bell suggestion: 10 reps with 10 lb kettlebell -> 12 reps with 12 lb

4B will be Wednesday!

Awesome numbers! I'm especially impressed with your DB 1-point rows. You must have AMAZING balance!!! :)
  • kel7298
    kel7298 Posts: 1,542 Member
    Options
    Hey, hey, hey!!!

Finished 4A today!

4B will be Wednesday!

I finished 4A as well today. My numbers are similar to yours. Go us!
  • worthyofchange
    Options
    [/quote]

Awesome numbers! I'm especially impressed with your DB 1-point rows. You must have AMAZING balance!!! :)
    [/quote]

Thanks, the second set takes a lot more time than the first and I do have to re-start a few times on my non-dominant leg! Your FSPPs and lunges are amazing as well!
  • mstawnya
    mstawnya Posts: 450 Member
    Options
    Rock on, ladies! I finished 4A today as well and feel pretty good. I've finally figured out why Stage 2 bugs me-it's the fact that I haven't increased my weights like I did in Stage 1. I'm working hard and struggling with the last couple of reps so I know I'm on track, but it's hard not seeing that growth. Here are my final A workout numbers:

FSPP: 60 lbs. to 60 lbs. No increase, but my form is getting better. I was able to do 55 lb. shoulder presses so this has been good for me.

Step Ups: Instead of doing them with a barbell in the squat rack like Stage 1, I focused on increasing the step height this time around-what a challenge! Held two 35 lb. dumbbells and went from 5 risers to 7 risers. Kept the weight the same.

DB 1 pt. row. -these were such a challenge. started at 60 lbs., dropped down to 50 lbs. and worked on form. My right leg is so off, but I was able to do 7 on each side today.

Static Lunges: 70 lbs to 70 lbs. Went from 5 risers to 7 risers.

Pushups: 10 incline pushups to 20 incline pushups with my leg up. Still working on doing the T from the leg up position.

Plank: started at 60 sec., today I held my last one for 2 min.!!!!! Huge victory for me!

Wood Chop: 25 lbs. to 35 lbs.
  • karensoxfan
    Options
    mstawnya - 60 lb. FSPP? 70 lb. step-ups & high rise static lunges? 50 lb. 1-pt. rows? 2 minute planks? You're like a superhero! =)
  • mstawnya
    Options
    mstawnya - 60 lb. FSPP? 70 lb. step-ups & high rise static lunges? 50 lb. 1-pt. rows? 2 minute planks? You're like a superhero! =)

Wait-no-I was holding 50 lbs. total (two 25 lb. DBs) for those rows. I suppose I shouldn't count them as 50, right? The static lunges were supposed to have the rear foot elevated, right? Please tell me I didn't do this whole stage wrong. Yikes!
  • karensoxfan
    Options

Wait-no-I was holding 50 lbs. total (two 25 lb. DBs) for those rows. I suppose I shouldn't count them as 50, right? The static lunges were supposed to have the rear foot elevated, right? Please tell me I didn't do this whole stage wrong. Yikes!

No, I think you counted the weight for the rows right. That's how I count it too (the total weight, not just the weight of each DB if I'm holding two of them).

You're right that the static lunges have the rear foot elevated too. I just only used an aerobic step with NO risers, so if you were using 5 or 7 risers, I'm in awe of your strength.
  • jnh17
    jnh17 Posts: 838 Member
    Options

No, I think you counted the weight for the rows right. That's how I count it too (the total weight, not just the weight of each DB if I'm holding two of them).

You're right that the static lunges have the rear foot elevated too. I just only used an aerobic step with NO risers, so if you were using 5 or 7 risers, I'm in awe of your strength.

Me too! You're a beast MsT! I'm doing 45lbs on the fspp and those last 2 reps kill me like whoa. Plus, turns out my balance is crap.

And planking? Worst thing I've ever voluntarily done in my life.
  • worthyofchange
    Options

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

And hell yes MsT... you are AWESOME!
  • mstawnya
    Options

Me too! You're a beast MsT! I'm doing 45lbs on the fspp and those last 2 reps kill me like whoa. Plus, turns out my balance is crap.

You know what are the worst things for me? Those stupid prone cobras. Hate those things! I swear people walk by me and just laugh. :)