Stage 2

Options

Replies

• TheFunBun
    TheFunBun Posts: 793 Member
    Options
    Baaaaah, I just did 1A, and I have to say I do not have the hang of this front squat press business. I felt like a doofy. Same thing with the one point row. :(

EMBARRASSING GYM ANTICS

Hopefully it gets better.
  • mstawnya
    mstawnya Posts: 450 Member
    Options
    Baaaaah, I just did 1A, and I have to say I do not have the hang of this front squat press business. I felt like a doofy. Same thing with the one point row. :(

EMBARRASSING GYM ANTICS

I'm always afraid that someone is secretly videotaping my dorky antics at the gym. And also afraid that I make noises when I lift. I listen to music and just don't want to know. :)
  • Kmsnomaha
    Kmsnomaha Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    Nice job, karensoxfan, forlife12 and mstawnya! Congrats on getting another stage accomplished.

I did my first B workout today and boy some of these exercises feel AWK-WARD! The cuban snatch...not a fan. Wow!

A couple of questions...The lat machine at my old gym increased at every 10 lbs and had smaller weights to add for smaller incremental increases, do you think this is because it catered to women? The lat machine at my new gym is 15 lbs (!!) increments. I'm doing 60 and feel like I could do 65 and maybe 70, but no way could I jump to 75 lbs.

Also, how tall of a step are you using for the split squats? Is using a weight bench too tall, you think?
    I am 5'3 and I used a bench with 4 risers for the split squats... The lat machine at my gym goes in 10 pld increments! I hate it! Makes it very difficult to increase the weight.
    This B workout is taking me a full hour to complete. Does not leave me anytime for intervals! :(. Does anyone do HIIT on their off days instead of after the weight training?
  • loricolwill
    loricolwill Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    Nice job, karensoxfan, forlife12 and mstawnya! Congrats on getting another stage accomplished.

I did my first B workout today and boy some of these exercises feel AWK-WARD! The cuban snatch...not a fan. Wow!

A couple of questions...The lat machine at my old gym increased at every 10 lbs and had smaller weights to add for smaller incremental increases, do you think this is because it catered to women? The lat machine at my new gym is 15 lbs (!!) increments. I'm doing 60 and feel like I could do 65 and maybe 70, but no way could I jump to 75 lbs.

Also, how tall of a step are you using for the split squats? Is using a weight bench too tall, you think?
    I am 5'3 and I used a bench with 4 risers for the split squats... The lat machine at my gym goes in 10 pld increments! I hate it! Makes it very difficult to increase the weight.
    This B workout is taking me a full hour to complete. Does not leave me anytime for intervals! :(. Does anyone do HIIT on their off days instead of after the weight training?

I only take a 60 sec recovery period and i was able to get it done in 45....barely. But no HIIT. I will have to do that on my off days, which is what I was doing anyway.
  • karensoxfan
    karensoxfan Posts: 902 Member
    Options

You already know I think you're a rock star. So here's my question for you. HOW on earth are you able to hold 60 lb. to your chest for split squats? Or are you using a barbell for them? (which I guess would also make it a lot harder to balance, lol!).

I use dumbells for them. Like this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1CvEs-TOIKM

And thank you! You know I'm one of your biggest fans. :)

Ah, that makes sense. Thanks. I've been holding a single dumbbell with both hands up to my chest for these, and I'm not sure I'd be able to manage a single dumbbell as heavy as 60 lb. As it is, I'm awkward carrying two 30-lb. DB's across the gym for my step-ups. It's good to know for Stage 4 though that if the dumbbell to my chest gets too awkward as the weight gets heavier, I might switch to holding 2 dumbbells by my side. :)
  • karensoxfan
    Options

Your numbers are badass! Love that you were doing more weight than the big guy - excellent!!!
    Were you doing 25lbs in EACH hand for the cuban snatch??? I actually went down in weight for that one just to make sure I was getting full range of motion - with the heavier weight I was was not getting as good of form and using other muscles to compensate. I have been trying to add more cardio on my off days and I could really feel it in the weight room this morning - just tired!
    Are you taking your rest week? I am getting excited about stage 3.

Thanks. I am taking my rest week, and then I'm taking a 2nd rest week b/c I'll be in Europe on vacation. :) So I won't start Stage 3 until after the 4th of July week.

And on my cuban snatch, 25 lb. is the total weight. I ended using 12.5 lb./hand, so I was excited to have more than doubled from when I started with 5 lb./hand.
  • karensoxfan
    Options
    I'm scared about stage 3! Those body weight matrix things make me want to cry just reading about them. In regards to the lunges with those, do you think they are walking lunges or static lunges one leg then switch to the other???

The jumps make me very anxious too. I re-read last night though, and the jump ones definitely said to switch legs on every rep. I think the non-jump lunges are meant to be the same ones from stage 1, where you do all your reps on one leg first, coming back to the starting point for each rep, then switch to the other leg. I don't see how it would hurt to make them walking lunges or static lunges though. They're all hard. ;)
  • karensoxfan
    Options

EMBARRASSING GYM ANTICS

I'm always afraid that someone is secretly videotaping my dorky antics at the gym. And also afraid that I make noises when I lift. I listen to music and just don't want to know. :)

I definitely grunt when I'm lifting sometimes and don't really care. I squinch up my face sometimes too, to the point where I have to look away from the mirror because I look ridiculous. I try to keep it to a minimum, but not at the expense of staying stagnant on the weights I'm working. ;)
  • karensoxfan
    Options

Both stage 2 lifting workouts took me 50-60 minutes to complete (including a 10-minute warmup). I would definitely use the option to do HIIT the next day if you only have 1 hour in the gym.
  • jnh17
    jnh17 Posts: 838 Member
    Options
    I'm scared about stage 3! Those body weight matrix things make me want to cry just reading about them. In regards to the lunges with those, do you think they are walking lunges or static lunges one leg then switch to the other???

The jumps make me very anxious too. I re-read last night though, and the jump ones definitely said to switch legs on every rep. I think the non-jump lunges are meant to be the same ones from stage 1, where you do all your reps on one leg first, coming back to the starting point for each rep, then switch to the other leg. I don't see how it would hurt to make them walking lunges or static lunges though. They're all hard. ;)

Since I was finally able to find the description in the book thanks to being pointed in the right direction, it says for the lunges (not the jump lunges) to alternate legs -- so basically the lunge jumps without the jump. But I do all one leg then the other for the lifts (since I understood the description as such). But like you said, I'm sure it doesn't matter at all since it's going to be hard any way ya slice it. The squat jumps at the end terrify me. Not because it's a squat jump but because it's at the end of an entire workout AND at the end of this matrix AND there are 24 of them. It will be one of those things where after I'm done, I'll expect to look like Jessica Beil even though I've just done it once. Because it was THAT hard. Ha!
  • mstawnya
    Options
    End of Stage 2 results:
    Untitled-1.jpg

Left is the day before I started New Rules in April. Right is the end of Stage 2. Not sure why it's so grainy, but whatever. I think my shoulders look bigger. :)

Bah! I'm having issues resizing. Sorry folks!
  • annamerrick
    annamerrick Posts: 78 Member
    Options

I am taking my rest week, and then I'm taking a 2nd rest week b/c I'll be in Europe on vacation. :) So I won't start Stage 3 until after the 4th of July week.

WOW!! Super jealous--enjoy your vacation!! I'll be caught back up to you for Stage 3!
  • jnh17
    jnh17 Posts: 838 Member
    Options
    End of Stage 2 results:
    Untitled-1.jpg

Left is the day before I started New Rules in April. Right is the end of Stage 2. Not sure why it's so grainy, but whatever. I think my shoulders look bigger. :)

That is a HUGE difference lady. Beautiful btw!
  • nickm21
    nickm21 Posts: 254 Member
    Options
    End of Stage 2 results:
    Untitled-1.jpg

WOW! you look amazing, definite difference in shoulders, also noticable change in you waist and butt.
    You are my girl crush for the day :laugh:
  • karensoxfan
    Options
    MsT - your pictures are awesome. I can see a lot more definition, even though you were pretty defined IMO to begin with. Your waist & legs look smaller too. =)

Anna - hooray that we'll be together in stage 3!
  • loricolwill
    Options
    End of Stage 2 results:
    Untitled-1.jpg

I would be ecstatic to look like your "before" pics. :laugh: Great job. There's definitely more definition and your butt looks perkier. :-)
  • loricolwill
    Options
    Completed my second A workout today. After seeing this video the Front Squat Push Press went much better.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SxXMjI4VJbk

I had been treating it like two separate movements, a squat and press. After seeing this I lowered my weight and was really able to get the explosive fluid movement.

But I have to say I am quite wiped out this afternoon. I'm really glad I have 2 days before my next workout.
  • mstawnya
    Options

WOW! you look amazing, definite difference in shoulders, also noticable change in you waist and butt.
    You are my girl crush for the day :laugh:

Haha! Thank you! And thank you lori, karen, and jnh. :)
  • TheFunBun
    Options
    Whoa, Tawnya, your back is AMAZING. GIMME THAT BACK.
  • TheFunBun
    Options
    Baaaah. Stage 2 B is LONG. Jeez. I can't even do the stupid bulgarian split squat or the lunge right now, so I'm substituting with glute bridges and romanian deadlifts, and jeez, it took forever and 10 days.

I'm going to have to superset it if I ever intend to get out of there in a reasonable time. I also am having trouble understanding the use of the box with the wide grip deadlifts.

I'm using 25 for my base height- so I'm already getting a pretty decent range of motion if you ask me. Anything below the box seems silly to bring up to the box, honestly.