Stage 2

Options

Replies

• jnh17
    jnh17 Posts: 838 Member
    Options
    Just started Stage 2, did 1A on Monday, 1B today....

Question for you - how different do the lunges & split squats feel? They look pretty similar to me, I really don't like the lunges (hurt my knee), wondering if I'm going to have the same issue with the split squats.

I asked that a couple of weeks ago. With the split squat, your rear leg is high (I use a weight bench) and when lower yourself into the lunge, your rear foot should be flat (upside down, but flat).
  • loricolwill
    loricolwill Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    Doing workout B today. Can't wait!
  • heymom93
    heymom93 Posts: 65 Member
    Options

Question for you - how different do the lunges & split squats feel? They look pretty similar to me, I really don't like the lunges (hurt my knee), wondering if I'm going to have the same issue with the split squats.

I asked that a couple of weeks ago. With the split squat, your rear leg is high (I use a weight bench) and when lower yourself into the lunge, your rear foot should be flat (upside down, but flat).

I wonder about that too. I think the height in the split squat makes a difference also. I was never quite able to get my foot right in the split squat. I would lose my balance when it was upside down and flat. I am finishing stage 2 today but I think that I may do another week of it so that my off week will coincide with my vacation. Yay - more split squats for me LOL
  • karensoxfan
    karensoxfan Posts: 902 Member
    Options

The elevated static lunges do feel different than the split squats for me, but if you have knee issues the split squat might have the same problem. You're holding the weight differently too, so the split squat requires a lot more balance.
  • karensoxfan
    Options

I wonder about that too. I think the height in the split squat makes a difference also. I was never quite able to get my foot right in the split squat. I would lose my balance when it was upside down and flat. I am finishing stage 2 today but I think that I may do another week of it so that my off week will coincide with my vacation. Yay - more split squats for me LOL

For help with balance on the split squats, I take my shoes off, and it's made a WORLD of difference. :)
  • karensoxfan
    Options
    I officially finished Stage 2 today! And felt on top of the world after today's workout. I increased weight on every move, and hit 100 lb. on my underhand lat pulldowns. =)

deadlift (not from box): 95 lb. --> 110 lb.
    bulgarian split squat: 10 lb. --> 20 lb.
    underhand lat pulldown: 85 lb. --> 100 lb.
    reverse lunge forward reach (from step): 15 lb. --> 30 lb.
    dumbbell prone cuban snatch: 10 lb. --> 25 lb.
    swiss ball crunch: 10 lb. chest --> 20 lb. chest
    reverse crunch & hanna flexion 2: N/A
    prone cobra: 60 sec. (x2) --> 90 sec. (x2)

Oh, and speaking of those 100 lb. lat pulldowns, I couldn't help but notice that one of the big muscley guys I always see lifting was only using 85 lb. for his on the machine next to me. I felt 100% badass and LOVED it!!! =)
  • hypallage
    hypallage Posts: 624 Member
    Options

Oh, and speaking of those 100 lb. lat pulldowns, I couldn't help but notice that one of the big muscley guys I always see lifting was only using 85 lb. for his on the machine next to me. I felt 100% badass and LOVED it!!! =)

Excellent feeling!! Well done!
  • Kmsnomaha
    Kmsnomaha Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    I officially finished Stage 2 today! And felt on top of the world after today's workout. I increased weight on every move, and hit 100 lb. on my underhand lat pulldowns. =)

Congratulations! Awesome Stage 2 finish... dumbell prone cuban snatch (This makes me laugh every time I say it) - 25 lbs! You rock. Is that (2) 25 pld dumbells or (2) 12.5 pld? Either way - Fantastic! I am struggling with 2 - 5 lb weights.
  • worthyofchange
    worthyofchange Posts: 165 Member
    Options

Awesome! :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

I just finished 4B so I'll see you in Stage 3!
  • worthyofchange
    worthyofchange Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    Finished 4B today!

deadlift: 95 lb. --> 105 lb.
    bulgarian split squat: 8 lb. --> 12 lb. kettlebell (10 each leg for each set)
    underhand lat pulldown: 60 lb. --> 70 lb. (grunting out the last few and it raises me off my *kitten* too)
    Just did regular lunges instead of reverse lunge
    dumbbell prone cuban snatch: 24 (12 each hand) lb. --> 30 lb. (15 each hand). BICEPS SCREAMING.
    swiss ball crunch: 15 lb. chest --> 15 lb. overhead; 15 per set
    reverse crunch: 10 --> 15 per set (too easy)
    swiss-ball side crunch: 10 each set per set --> 15 per set (want to throw up)
    prone cobra: 60 sec. (x2) --> 60 sec. + 90 sec. (shaking all over!)

Hoping to start Stage 3 without a rest because I'll be taking a few weeks off in July. I think it should be okay since I also did most of Stage 2 with only 2 workouts per week. I'll be careful to listen to my body though.
  • karensoxfan
    Options
    Finished 4B today!

deadlift: 95 lb. --> 105 lb.
    bulgarian split squat: 8 lb. --> 12 lb. kettlebell (10 each leg for each set)
    underhand lat pulldown: 60 lb. --> 70 lb. (grunting out the last few and it raises me off my *kitten* too)
    Just did regular lunges instead of reverse lunge
    dumbbell prone cuban snatch: 24 (12 each hand) lb. --> 30 lb. (15 each hand). BICEPS SCREAMING.
    swiss ball crunch: 15 lb. chest --> 15 lb. overhead; 15 per set
    reverse crunch: 10 --> 15 per set (too easy)
    swiss-ball side crunch: 10 each set per set --> 15 per set (want to throw up)
    prone cobra: 60 sec. (x2) --> 60 sec. + 90 sec. (shaking all over!)

Hoping to start Stage 3 without a rest because I'll be taking a few weeks off in July. I think it should be okay since I also did most of Stage 2 with only 2 workouts per week. I'll be careful to listen to my body though.

Awesome job!!! =)

I'll be behind you for Stage 3 though. I'm on vacation next week and the week after, so I'm taking a 2-week rest between stages. Maybe we'll meet again in Stage 4? :)
  • karensoxfan
    Options

Congratulations! Awesome Stage 2 finish... dumbell prone cuban snatch (This makes me laugh every time I say it) - 25 lbs! You rock. Is that (2) 25 pld dumbells or (2) 12.5 pld? Either way - Fantastic! I am struggling with 2 - 5 lb weights.

Thanks. :) My cuban snatches are total weight. I started with 5 lb. in each hand (and that was HARD!) and ended with 12.5 lb. in each hand, which was still HARD! ;)
  • mstawnya
    mstawnya Posts: 450 Member
    Options

Excellent feeling!! Well done!

Best feeling ever! :)
  • mstawnya
    Options
    Done done done with Stage 2. Hooray!
    Final results:
    Deadlift f/box: 135 lbs to150 lbs. (I also did 3 reps of 160 today, but I won't count those)
    Split Squats: 60 lbs. to 60 lbs.-struggled with my balance on these. Getting better!
    Underhand Lat pulldowns: 110 lbs to 115 lbs.
    Reverse Lunges f/box: 40 lbs. to 40 lbs.-another balance issue for me.
    Prone Cuban Snatch: 15 lbs (two 7.5 lb. dumbbells) to 25 lbs. (two 12.5 lb. dumbbells)
    Swiss Ball Crunches: 10 lb. weight overhead to 25 lb. weight overhead
    Reverse Crunches: 20 on the floor to 14 on incline
    Lateral Flexions: 10 on each side to 25 Hanna Flexions on each side-I really like those things!
    Prone Cobras: 60 sec. to 100 sec. today.

Went to the shake place & weighed in today (I know I shouldn't have went after working out, but whatever). According to my last recorded weigh in there (Apr. 26th), I've gained 3.4 lbs., but my lean muscle mass went from 102.6 lbs. to 105.6 lbs. which made me very happy to see that the weight I've gained has been almost all muscle. I'm taking a week off from weights (maybe a little more) and I'm interested to see what will happen when I go full board cardio again. Congrats to all you finishers today. It feels so good to have another Stage under our belts, right?
  • loricolwill
    loricolwill Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    Nice job, karensoxfan, forlife12 and mstawnya! Congrats on getting another stage accomplished.

I did my first B workout today and boy some of these exercises feel AWK-WARD! The cuban snatch...not a fan. Wow!

A couple of questions...The lat machine at my old gym increased at every 10 lbs and had smaller weights to add for smaller incremental increases, do you think this is because it catered to women? The lat machine at my new gym is 15 lbs (!!) increments. I'm doing 60 and feel like I could do 65 and maybe 70, but no way could I jump to 75 lbs.

Also, how tall of a step are you using for the split squats? Is using a weight bench too tall, you think?
  • karensoxfan
    Options
    Nice job, karensoxfan, forlife12 and mstawnya! Congrats on getting another stage accomplished.

I did my first B workout today and boy some of these exercises feel AWK-WARD! The cuban snatch...not a fan. Wow!

A couple of questions...The lat machine at my old gym increased at every 10 lbs and had smaller weights to add for smaller incremental increases, do you think this is because it catered to women? The lat machine at my new gym is 15 lbs (!!) increments. I'm doing 60 and feel like I could do 65 and maybe 70, but no way could I jump to 75 lbs.

Also, how tall of a step are you using for the split squats? Is using a weight bench too tall, you think?

Thanks. :)

I agree those cuban snatches are just weird, and so much harder than they look, but you definitely feel them. Hang in there.

Lat machine - the one in my gym increases by 15 lb. too, but there are two 5-lb. add-ons at the top that you can add to the stack if you want to go up by 5 lb. increments. There are also loose 2.5 lb. add-on plates all over that you can add to the stack too.

For split squats, unless you're very short, I think a weight bench is perfect height. That's what I used (and I'm 5'5"). Taking off my shoes for these was the best thing ever for them though. It made balancing a lot easier. I only wish the same was true for 1-point rows. Doing those shoe-less was even harder to balance.
  • karensoxfan
    Options

Final results:
    Deadlift f/box: 135 lbs to150 lbs. (I also did 3 reps of 160 today, but I won't count those)
    Split Squats: 60 lbs. to 60 lbs.-struggled with my balance on these. Getting better!
    Prone Cuban Snatch: 15 lbs (two 7.5 lb. dumbbells) to 25 lbs. (two 12.5 lb. dumbbells)
    Lateral Flexions: 10 on each side to 25 Hanna Flexions on each side-I really like those things!

You already know I think you're a rock star. So here's my question for you. HOW on earth are you able to hold 60 lb. to your chest for split squats? Or are you using a barbell for them? (which I guess would also make it a lot harder to balance, lol!).
  • mstawnya
    Options

Final results:

You already know I think you're a rock star. So here's my question for you. HOW on earth are you able to hold 60 lb. to your chest for split squats? Or are you using a barbell for them? (which I guess would also make it a lot harder to balance, lol!).

I use dumbells for them. Like this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1CvEs-TOIKM

And thank you! You know I'm one of your biggest fans. :)
  • heymom93
    heymom93 Posts: 65 Member
    Options

Your numbers are badass! Love that you were doing more weight than the big guy - excellent!!!
    Were you doing 25lbs in EACH hand for the cuban snatch??? I actually went down in weight for that one just to make sure I was getting full range of motion - with the heavier weight I was was not getting as good of form and using other muscles to compensate. I have been trying to add more cardio on my off days and I could really feel it in the weight room this morning - just tired!
    Are you taking your rest week? I am getting excited about stage 3.
  • jnh17
    jnh17 Posts: 838 Member
    Options
    I'm scared about stage 3! Those body weight matrix things make me want to cry just reading about them. In regards to the lunges with those, do you think they are walking lunges or static lunges one leg then switch to the other???