Stage 4

Options

Replies

• suelegal
    suelegal Posts: 1,282 Member
    Options
    Hey all you all with the hurting and slipping hands... VERSA GRIPPS!! They are totally amazing. You don't have to buy the real Versa Gripps, get the generic ones that cost less. You're gonna be amazed how great they are!
  • CanGirl40
    CanGirl40 Posts: 379 Member
    Options
    Hey all you all with the hurting and slipping hands... VERSA GRIPPS!! They are totally amazing. You don't have to buy the real Versa Gripps, get the generic ones that cost less. You're gonna be amazed how great they are!

I think I may need these soon...even though it will look ridiculous but my weights are seriously not really very heavy...

Thanks for the rec!
  • Emtabo01
    Emtabo01 Posts: 672
    Options
    Ok I'm done with Stage 4. I work out at home and feel like I have wimpy stats, but oh well, here goes:

A
    FSPP 30 to 40lb
    Step ups 16 to 20
    Dumbbell one point row 16 to 20
    Static lunge 20lb
    Pushups 8 to 10 good form ones, on the floor
    Plank 3 120sec ones
    Horiz wood chop used 20lb dumbbell

B
    Deadlift 60 to 70lb
    Bulgarian squat one 10lb plate to two 10lb plates (20lb)
    Lat pull down -I tried different barbell/dumbbell things varying from 16-25lbs
    Reverse lunge 15 to 16 lbs
    Dumbbell prone Cuban snatch 15 to 16 pounds
    Swiss ball 20 crunches with 4lb weights
    Rev crunch 20
    Prone cobra started with 90/30sec ones, ended with 3 120 sec ones

I saw some BWM when I glanced at stage 5 - yuck
  • CanGirl40
    Options
    Sue, glad to see you back! I did notice my balance was a little better with the one-point rows. Maybe from those one-leg deadlifts in stage 3? I feel like those helped me stabilize my core and hamstrings a little.

MissSifaka, I like the callouses too! Luckily mine aren't painful or I would probably invest in gloves. They're even more proof that I'm working hard!

livlora, I'm not sure if planks are easier on hands. I've tried them both ways and suck at both. My best (longest) planks are on my hands with my feet elevated on a swiss ball. But I don't feel like I get quite the same core workout that way.

Anybody have any suggestions for substitutions for the crunches? I've heard a couple of times that even Allwyn doesn't recommend crunches anymore. I might go ahead and purchase the Abs book because I was going to do it next. Surely there will be some alternatives there.

I think the wood chops are so good for the obliques! What's wrong with crunches? I like to do V-ups with the ball.
  • CanGirl40
    Options
    Ok I'm done with Stage 4. I work out at home and feel like I have wimpy stats, but oh well, here goes:

A
    FSPP 30 to 40lb
    Step ups 16 to 20
    Static lunge 20lb
    Plank 3 120sec ones

B
    Deadlift 60 to 70lb
    Rev crunch 20

Wow, I can't believe you work out at home. Good for you!!! You have progressed so that's the important thing! When you say Cuban snatch15-16 pounds for example do you mean in each hand or total??? I did that move today with 8 pound weights.
  • suelegal
    Options

A
    FSPP 30 to 40lb
    Step ups 16 to 20
    Static lunge 20lb
    Plank 3 120sec ones

B
    Deadlift 60 to 70lb
    Rev crunch 20

I wouldn't call those wimpy stats! Your deadlifts are great, your FSPPs are too! I hold DBs when I do the BSS, rather than the plates, you might want to check online for alternatives to the pull dowsn, including pullups/chinups (assisted) - my lat pulldowns are 75#. And since they are basically prepping you for pullups no reason not to try them.

FYI, 5 is a repeat of 3 I'm pretty sure!

I start 4 tomorrow.
  • FootsoreRambler
    FootsoreRambler Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    I just finished stage 4 yesterday. Here are my final stats:

A:
    Front squat/push press: 50#
    Step-ups: 50# on a step with 6 risers, using the Olympic bar
    1-pt row: 70# total (35# dumbbells)
    Static lunge: 50# total (25# dumbbells)
    Pushups: from the floor, concentrating on getting better form before I try a harder variation
    Horizontal wood chop: 30#
    Plank: 90 s max from the floor, I have to use the bench to make 120 s

B:
    Deadlift: 85#
    Bulgarian split squat: 55#, using Olympic bar
    Underhand grip lat pulldown: 107# (using assisted pullup machine for these)
    Reverse lunge w/ reach: 30# total (15# dumbbells)
    Prone Cuban snatch: 30# total (15# dumbbells)
    Ab stuff: I held various objects for the crunches, did the incline reverse crunch and Swiss ball side crunches.
    Prone Cobra: 120s 3 times was no problem.
    HIIT: max was 8.9 mph running on the treadmill, last set was 8.7-8.8 mph.

All in all, I'm pretty happy. I could probably do more on the deadlift, but I am worried about injury, so I've been adding weight cautiously. I'll get there. The planks are killing me. They were fine at 60s, but I haven't yet gotten to be able to do even 90s three times in a row yet. The reverse lunge is surprisingly difficult for me; I always feel ridiculously uncoordinated when doing that one.

I'm looking forward to seeing whether I've improved on the excercises in stage 3/5!
  • FootsoreRambler
    FootsoreRambler Posts: 80 Member
    Options

I have plank envy. Good job with everything -- I too am not looking forward to the BWM again.
  • CanGirl40
    Options
    Just completed stage 4, 3A

I really suck at the dumbbell one point row. No balance!!!

I upped my FSPP from 35# to 45# today....couldn't get all the reps in but I was really glad to up it!

Upped my 15# DBs to 17.5# on static lunge.

Was doing step ups with 25 but even with gloves they were hard to hold...wanted to try 30 but they were all the way at the other side of the gym...#lazy
  • suelegal
    Options
    I can't do those 1 pt exercises either. No matter how tight I hold my core I can't get the full set in - I have terrible ankles. So I'm not doing them like that, I'm using a bosu ball. You have to hold your core really tight to stay balanced and I can do the full set. I am at 30 with that now.

I can't quite get a full set with 45 on FSPP either But I'm working on it!

I did my first B yesterday and really like that I did everything at a higher weight than I finished 2 and I could really focus on form - I squeezed my glutes real tight and pushed up off my heels. The snatch is always going to be weak - broken collarbone - but I went up to 5# and I think I'll be able to go up more as I move thru the stage. I have a problem with the pull downs. I'm at 75 but the next jumb is huge - 90! I guess I'll do 75 for the first 2 sets next time and try 90 for the 3rd. What weights do you all use for the reverse lunges? I can't move up much with those.

re the stepups - 2 ideas - check out versa gripps. they have made a huge difference for me - they assist your grip and I love mine. The other thing many women do is switch to using the BB on their backs like you would for the back squat. When I was working out at home I did that and it was much easier. My issue was form then, I had a difficult time keeping the BB in the right position so I could step up correctly.
  • lhergenr
    lhergenr Posts: 242 Member
    Options
    everyone's doing great! i just did 3A last night. actually went back down to 35# for the FSPP because i've been really weak lately and haven't been lifting like i should. i feel like i'm going to be int his stage forever haha. really trying to get back into the groove of it. pushups feel harder than they did in stage 1 and 2. i don't understand why. i do them on the ground but am feeling kind of shaky with the form. when i see other people doing pushups, they keep their elbows OUT so that their upper arms are perpendicular to their body. but doesn't the book say to do them keeping your elbows in? that's what i've been trying to do but this slight confusion has me doing them kind of inbetween
  • jsextrasmooth
    jsextrasmooth Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    Should've started stage 4 this past week, but have been so busy I haven't managed to get to the gym :sad:

lhergenr - the book definitely says elbows in! I too got confused and had to double check.

I've decided to take the plunge and ordered some weights, barbell and a rack with lat pulldown - so soon there'll be no excuse for not working out!
  • jhgreer
    jhgreer Posts: 145
    Options
    bleh.

Sorry for the complaining again about how much I dislike this stage, but here I am complaining again.

It's a catch-22....since I hate doing the workouts, I spread them out more, but the longer I spread them out the longer this stage will take. Finished 2B today so I'm halfway finished. In theory I could finish it by the end of next week, but I don't think my schedule next week will allow for 3 gym days.

Again, bleh. I hate feeling like my workouts weren't worth the effort, but that's the way I was in Stage 2 and now with 4. Bring on stage 5 and the BWM!
  • jhgreer
    jhgreer Posts: 145
    Options
    Should've started stage 4 this past week, but have been so busy I haven't managed to get to the gym :sad:

lhergenr - the book definitely says elbows in! I too got confused and had to double check.

I've decided to take the plunge and ordered some weights, barbell and a rack with lat pulldown - so soon there'll be no excuse for not working out!

Good for you ordering the weights to do at home! I'm jealous!
  • emgel9
    emgel9 Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    yay! Glad to see some excitement on the Stage 4 forum! Tomorrow is my first B workout of this stage! I am going to do 3 sets of everything this time, but that means no HIIT. I have one hour in the gym. Just one. I have to use it expeditiously. I do cardio on my off days so hopefully I'm not missing out too much!

I was surprised I couldn't up my weights from Stage 2 - actually on a few things I went down to focus on form. That's ok though! I missed all the lunges =D Also, I have been stuck at the same weight in lat pulldown since the beginning of this program...not sure how to up it!!
  • suelegal
    Options
    yay! Glad to see some excitement on the Stage 4 forum! Tomorrow is my first B workout of this stage! I am going to do 3 sets of everything this time, but that means no HIIT. I have one hour in the gym. Just one. I have to use it expeditiously. I do cardio on my off days so hopefully I'm not missing out too much!

I was surprised I couldn't up my weights from Stage 2 - actually on a few things I went down to focus on form. That's ok though! I missed all the lunges =D Also, I have been stuck at the same weight in lat pulldown since the beginning of this program...not sure how to up it!!

Hey gf, I've been doing 3 sets. It's a really good workout, and I don't do HIIT afterwards either. I did my 2nd A workout this morning. GAWD I loathe 120 sec planks!!! I did 2 today, will get in 3 next workout I hope! I didn't up weights for the first round either, but today went up with all except the woodchops Those suckers come after planks and I'm just spent when I do them.

ETA: My pulldowns are stuck at 75. The next increase is huge! 90! But I will try to increase on Thursday.
  • CanGirl40
    Options
    Hi guys, I"ve been reading but haven't had time to post much. About to start my last week in stage 4, but I did B workout the other day and puled something in my groin from the damn bulgarian split squat...I knew I shouldn't have upped my weight...dang.

Anyway, will do what I can of workout A tomorrow...

I totally agree with the lat pulldown...why am I still stuck at the same weight? I can't seem to up my weight without compromising form!
  • jsextrasmooth
    jsextrasmooth Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    Did most of my first B workout yesterday at home, but missed out the lat pulldown as don't yet have the rig to do it and I've stopped doing the prone cobra which bores me silly.

I have DOMS with a vengeance today!

Cangirl, sorry to hear about the pull. Have to say my hip flexors, groin muscles and hamstings were feeling pretty tight all through Stage 3 and still do.
  • emgel9
    emgel9 Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    I did all 3 sets for every lift today! It took a long time and def meant no time for HIIT, but so be it! My back leg is always very uncomfortable on the Bulgarian Split Squat - anyone else have this?

I am STUCK at 55 on the reverse grip lat pull down. I can like 4 reps at 60 and that is IT. I guess Ill just see how many I can eke out at 60 and then go back down for the rest lol.

Another form question: on the wide grip deadlift from box the bar tends to hit my knees when setting the bar back down - what am I doing wrong?

I like stage 4!
  • suelegal
    Options
    Ladies - FOAM ROLLERS!!!!! OMG if you don't have one, get it and if you have one and aren't using it, why the hell not?? It is a life saver. I got mine at KMart and it's actually 3 in 1 - so I can adapt the size based on what I'm rolling out! For me it's almost always my Tband but glutes and hammies have been fussing at me lately. I am slamming my form these days!

Emgel - I have a tough time with all the split leg squats - BSS is a royal pain, I'm forever falling off the position. But I do the same with the Front Squat too.

New PR for me! I did 4 lat pulldowns at 90# today. Couldn't pull another one, but man it felt good to make that increase! I think I posted that I've been afraid to increase because it was such a big step 75 up to 90. So I do 2 sets at 75 and then do the best I can at 90. 4 today, maybe 6 next time! I'm psyched now!

CanGirl, I'm sorry about the pull. Hope it is better quickly! Good on you for continuing - but you know, if it hurts stop!

I have to say I hated Stage 2 but I'm really liking 4, mainly because I'm stronger, my balance is better and I am increasing weights. I never felt like I was getting anything out of Stage 2 and it's totally opposite this time!

ROCK IT LADIES!!