Fantastic food finds!

Options

Replies

• rschuurman
    rschuurman Posts: 32
    Options
    This is fantastic! Thanks for all the tips ladies. Just cranking back in. This year I'm going to get in my best shape yet :) My best low-cal food tips are:

- Marmite on toast. Marmite has only 8 calories per serve plus Vitamin B!
    - Agree with Weight Watchers jelly!
    - Pams Cassava vege chips in multi-snack packs (can't remember how many cals but very low!)
    - Queen maple flavoured syrup. I have only found this in larger Pak N Save's but it's sugar free and only 18 calories per serve. Fantastic on porridge with a bit of almond milk or on pancakes or French toast if you're having a treat breakfast!
  • perfkdrug
    perfkdrug Posts: 24
    Options
    I have fallen head over heels in love with posey bread http://www.poesy.co.nz/index.php
    They are a flatbread, I've been using them for pizza bases (the roast garlic one is devine, it's not too garlicy tasting either) and they are a nice enough size that you will feel full after one but won't have pigged out. They're about 230 cals but if you top with veggies and minimal cheese it's a filling yummy low calorie dinner :)
  • Sneeze1970
    Sneeze1970 Posts: 18
    Options
    Getting back on the straight an narrow after about a 8 month hiatus and on the look out for replacements for ice cream treats and found two:

Weight Watchers Double Choc Sundae
    Tip Top Yoghurt Ice Cream - I've tried the Blueberry but it also comes in Passion Fruit and the best thing is you can get a 4 pack of individual tubs so you don't overdo your portion size

I can't remember the exact calories of each but neither are much more than 100 cals and really tasty without that horrible artifical sweetner flavour.

I'm another one also loving the Avalanche low sugar hot choc, especially on these wintery days.
  • rschuurman
    rschuurman Posts: 32
    Options
    That Poesy bread sounds good! Another great two I thought of was:

- Meadow Fresh Live Lite Vanilla pack of yoghurts. They are 75 calories each and yummy flavours! Vanilla Toffee, Vanilla Bean and Vanilla Spice.

- Gherkins. They are my saviour at around 9pm on when I start to get hungry but know it's a bad time to eat. I have a gherkin which is anywhere from 10-13 calories and satisfies my need for something crunchy and quiets down my stomach enough so I can sleep :)
  • _Liz_M_
    _Liz_M_ Posts: 39
    Options
    I use that Meadow Fresh Live Vanilla flavours too. Delicious.
  • perfkdrug
    Options
    - Meadow Fresh ...75 calories ... Vanilla Toffee,
    I need this in my life!
  • RonnieLodge
    RonnieLodge Posts: 665 Member
    Options
    Maggi are doing a Less than 75cal soup range that isn't bad!

Tomato & Basil
    Sweet Soy & Ginger Chicken
    Vietnamese Beef Pho

Continential Sensations soups (tomato, basil & marscapone/sweet potato & bacon/cajun chicken) are REALLY good - quite creamy & thick and generally under 120 cals a cup.

Also, Healtheries have some yummy herbal teas:

Strawberry Pavlova tea - smells good, tastes sweet
    Lemon Merigue - this one smells lovely but has a sour aftertaste
    Ginger Kisses - quite good - the longer it is left to brew, the better

I really like curries but not the easily 1000+ calorie count. But I have found an alternative;

The MTR range of vegetarian currys in Pak N Save are excellent value (about $3 a box - often 3 for $6 specials), they travel well, taste great and are generally under 160cals for a serving or 300 cals a box. (My favourite, the Khadi Pakora /Gram Dumpling Curry is only 144cals a box). They can be heated up in a microwave in under 2mins and there are about 12 different flavours and textures, ranging from mild to hot.

Replace the naan with MTR Papads (little round circles of gram flour pads that you microwave for 35secs to get a crispy poppadom) - which are only 10cals each.
  • tessas2013
    Options
    Some one already mentioned this but im really likeing the freyas sandwhich thins, 117 Calories a pop, i like using them as an alternative for a toasted sammy, wee bit of cheese and ham and they can be arround 200 calories (give or take) all up.

Also the special K choclatey bars are a great snack with 88 cals

another fav is the ryveta crackers, the multigrain crispbread ones are 40 cals each and you can use all sorts of toppings on them

mmm making my self hungry now!
  • perfkdrug
    Options
    How do those sandwhich thins compare to the vogel's "very thin" sandwhich bread? (in terms of taste, texture, size). The very thin bread is 127 calories for 2 slices so it's also fairly low-cal.

Also I've been going to almost every supermarket I pass and I can't find those meadow fresh live lite vanilla yogurts :( stupid Wellington. I have found a few berry flavours but no vanilla.
  • lil_monkey21
    Options
    I havent been here too long but thanks to a friend have found some snacks:
    Cassava veggie crisps-multi packs or bags so yum 44cals for the cour cream and chives
    Special K Caramel bars, helping curb sugar cravings- 88 cal
    Healtheries rice wheels and healtheries strawberry pav tea yum.
    Jarrah hot chocolate, orange flavour has been a god sent for late night choc cravings and only 57cals.

What dessert and snacks do you recommend?
  • perfkdrug
    Options
    I re-bag chick pea snacks into individual servings and take them to work for snacks
    http://www.mothernatures.co.nz/ChickPeas.html
    they're quite tasty and a serve (which is around a handful) lasts a while

the watties lite tinned peaches are scrummy and low-cal too
  • jam_hunt
    jam_hunt Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Molenberg Balance Sandwich Bread!
    2 slices for 134 Cals
    Have tried the Sandwich thins, I don't like how they toast like crap and are dry as heck! You may as well eat a cracker! Plus the price is a bit hefty!
    For Bready type people, the balance bread wins, its still a regular sized sandwich slice for what seems like the same amount of cals as the thins, if not less :)
  • 19jam85
    19jam85 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Now I want to go to the supermarket and find all these interesting products! :) Thanks everyone, great reading!
  • Sneeze1970
    Options
    Just lately I've been enjoying the Select Brown Rice Crackers from Countdown. I particularly like the Multigrain but they do Sea Salt, Black Sesame and Cracked Pepper & Olive Oil versions too.
    This should link to them on their homeshopping webpage: http://tinyurl.com/mdd3a92
  • IshaAnderson18
    IshaAnderson18 Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    Bin Inn in Hamilton (not sure about other branches) do fresh ground peanut butter. I get a massive tub, around the same size as a 100% Nutz container, for $4.40 and its just peanuts, no salt or any kind of additive.
  • Michelledownunder
    Michelledownunder Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    The Weight Watchers Belgian Éclairs are divine - feel like a real treat at only 87 calories. I cut them in half and leave them in the freezer until I feel I need to cheat. They take about 5 minutes to defrost so I make an occasion of eating them, usually with one of Jarrah's low fat choccie drinks - mmmm
  • spangey13
    spangey13 Posts: 294
    Options
    I have just returned from Yohurt Story on Queen Street in Auckland (I'm sure there are other similar places/locations around)... I can't find nutritional information online, but most of the flavours are between 80-85 calories for 100g of frozen yoghurt. (They are displayed in the shop).

I am currently devouring a mocha flavoured frozen yoghurt and enjoying every last little bit!!!
  • zoukeira
    zoukeira Posts: 313 Member
    Options
    Loving Pams Mini Cones at the moment, around 65cals each. I don't think I'd pay full price for a pack (about $7) but Pak n Save often have them on special for $2-$4. (8 per pack)

Also weight watchers sundaes - around 110-130 calories each, the pecan toffee one is to die for!
  • gayleanne57
    Options
    Hi, I am new to this group and have also just found Chia seeds. I have been making overnight oatmeal with chia seeds in it and it is filling and keeps me going all morning and I then don't need much for lunch either.
  • shazza2437
    shazza2437 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Hi am i meant to join this group to follow it - sorry i am new i was reading all the information people have been posting and i want to follow and keep up with all the information and keep learning as i begin my journey