Introductions

Options

Replies

• Holmfridur_Gestsdottir
    Options
    hi :) im laura, started this past sunday 1/27/13, so far I love it! Im a mother of 1 with a very supportive husband who's goal is to gain weight (muscle) so we are kinda on this journey together, my goal...is to be able to deadlift more than him lol

LOL love that goal! :smile:

I have been reading here for a while and commenting a bit, but I guess it's appropriate to introduce yourself at some point :tongue:

So I am Hofi. I am 39 yrs old, have 2 kids and I have been lifting for a 3 and a half year now. Initially my goal was to lose fat but now I have been looking to add muscle and strength. I bought this book half a year ago and read up on it and loved it but at that time I was with a personal trainer so I didn't use the book except when my PT couldn't make it to train me - then I'd pick some exercises from the book and make my own program. However she quit training after Christmas so I immediately thought this would be a great opportunity to finally try out this program. I had stagnated before I started NR so I was very eager to start afresh and see results, FINALLY. I have almost finished stage 1 now. I just came home from workout A8 so there is only one workout left before the AMRAPs and then I will go on to stage 2. Very excited!
  • lcuconley
    lcuconley Posts: 734 Member
    Options
    hi :) im laura, started this past sunday 1/27/13, so far I love it! Im a mother of 1 with a very supportive husband who's goal is to gain weight (muscle) so we are kinda on this journey together, my goal...is to be able to deadlift more than him lol

LOL love that goal! :smile:

I have been reading here for a while and commenting a bit, but I guess it's appropriate to introduce yourself at some point :tongue:

So I am Hofi. I am 39 yrs old, have 2 kids and I have been lifting for a 3 and a half year now. Initially my goal was to lose fat but now I have been looking to add muscle and strength. I bought this book half a year ago and read up on it and loved it but at that time I was with a personal trainer so I didn't use the book except when my PT couldn't make it to train me - then I'd pick some exercises from the book and make my own program. However she quit training after Christmas so I immediately thought this would be a great opportunity to finally try out this program. I had stagnated before I started NR so I was very eager to start afresh and see results, FINALLY. I have almost finished stage 1 now. I just came home from workout A8 so there is only one workout left before the AMRAPs and then I will go on to stage 2. Very excited!

welcome!!
  • Holmfridur_Gestsdottir
    Options
    thank you so much :smile:
  • tigertrax3
    tigertrax3 Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    Hi! My name is Jenny and i turned 30 a couple days ago. Ive been haunting the weight lifting forums for awhile and finally decided to take the plunge and I'm glad I did! I'm about to start week 3 and i'm starting to see results.
    I work out at home since my husband already had most of the equipment. I still struggle with the diet portion of the regime, but i take it day by day

Feel free to add me!
  • jaztoderan
    jaztoderan Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    Hi, I'm Jaz :) I'm 23, I'm from Alberta. Looking to start this program as I know it'll be so gratifying to watch myself get stronger!
    Just picked up the book recently and looking forward to starting. It's intimidating though, I really am having a hard time trying to figure out where to start as far as how much to lift. I know the book says to just guess and go from there but I honestly have NO idea what I would possibly be able to do. Hopefully I don't end up wasting time trial and error-ing to find starting weights to use.
    Going to go check out the local gym this weekend (I just moved to a new town!) and hopefully get started next week.
    So glad to have found this community!
  • Rogiefreida
    Rogiefreida Posts: 567 Member
    Options
    I'm newish, and I never introduced myself.

I am restarting NROL4W tomorrow. I started last summer (verry slowly) and managed to complete stages one and two and loved what it did for me. Then I developed lymphadema in my right arm and my doctor made me park it until he could determine what was going on. Now that he's cleared me to workout again and I have an ultra fashionable compression sleeve to keep the lymphadema at bay, I've decided to start over again. There's NO WAY I can jump into stage 3 after no lifting since before Christmas. I have a very specific goal for this year, and that is to finally be able to do an unassisted pull up. I don't have a lot of excess weight really to lose, but I definitely would love to build more muscle and become stronger and leaner and I know NROL can do that for me.

So that's my story. Stage1, workout A here I come to conquer you tomorrow!
  • lcuconley
    Options
    Hi, I'm Jaz :) I'm 23, I'm from Alberta. Looking to start this program as I know it'll be so gratifying to watch myself get stronger!
    Just picked up the book recently and looking forward to starting. It's intimidating though, I really am having a hard time trying to figure out where to start as far as how much to lift. I know the book says to just guess and go from there but I honestly have NO idea what I would possibly be able to do. Hopefully I don't end up wasting time trial and error-ing to find starting weights to use.
    Going to go check out the local gym this weekend (I just moved to a new town!) and hopefully get started next week.

Jaz - Welcome! I understand your quandary, but really, don't worry. I started out light-ish and, in the beginning, added weight almost every set. The beginning sets of 15 are perfect for working on your form. If you do 15 of an exercise and its super easy, go up by more. If you can't complete 15, drop down. The important thing is to get started! We are here for you!
  • lcuconley
    Options

I am restarting NROL4W tomorrow. I started last summer (verry slowly) and managed to complete stages one and two and loved what it did for me. Then I developed lymphadema in my right arm and my doctor made me park it until he could determine what was going on. Now that he's cleared me to workout again and I have an ultra fashionable compression sleeve to keep the lymphadema at bay, I've decided to start over again. There's NO WAY I can jump into stage 3 after no lifting since before Christmas. I have a very specific goal for this year, and that is to finally be able to do an unassisted pull up. I don't have a lot of excess weight really to lose, but I definitely would love to build more muscle and become stronger and leaner and I know NROL can do that for me.

Rogie - so glad you are restarting! Can people sign compression sleeves like they sign casts?
  • jaztoderan
    jaztoderan Posts: 71 Member
    Options

Jaz - Welcome! I understand your quandary, but really, don't worry. I started out light-ish and, in the beginning, added weight almost every set. The beginning sets of 15 are perfect for working on your form. If you do 15 of an exercise and its super easy, go up by more. If you can't complete 15, drop down. The important thing is to get started! We are here for you!

Thanks! I'm just gonna go for it and I'm sure it'll work out. If the first workout is really just a wash because I pick totally wrong weights I'll just redo it when I have a better idea. Thanks so much :)
  • ellen1188
    Options
    Hi y'all,

I am brand new! I picked up NROL4W this week and devoured it. I am looking forward to starting up, though still trying to think about when to place my lifting workouts because I currently meet with a personal trainer every Tuesday. (Su/Tu/Th, maybe?)

A bit of bio: I am 24, 5'6", and have been body-conscious since my teens. I'm currently at 26% BF, down from 29% at the beginning of January and looking to get near 16% BF. I have always gone by the "eat 1200 calories, weigh yourself all the time" method and am working really, really hard to change that idea in my mind. (It's difficult!)

Please feel free to add me-- my diary is open, as well. :)
  • blondie_182_182
    blondie_182_182 Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    Hi all, I am new to the group. My name is Amanda. I am halfway through Stage 1 of NROL4W. I am loving it so far. I have already lost a few inches. I was always a cardio bunny who ate 1200 calories a day for the longest time. I lost 50 pounds doing that, but gained 20 pounds back when I got tired of being hungry all the time and started eating normally again. I turned to NROL4W for answers. I have always been intimidated by weight lifting but after realizing that it's the only way to get the body I want, I am doing it. I am still getting used to eating at my TDEE - 20% (about 2000 calories) and consuming so much protein. I am adjusting to being vegetarian after being vegan for about two years. I had to make the switch though due to some health issues. I am loving the program so far.

Edited to add: I am also learning to stay away from the scale. It's so hard but I am tired of that number dictating my self-esteem.
  • alpine1994
    alpine1994 Posts: 1,915 Member
    Options
    Hi guys! I'm new. I just finished reading NROLFW and am going to start soon. A new planet fitness is opening right near my house next week but I just have to make sure they will have the proper equipment before I join. I've heard that some of them don't have free weights at all.

About me:
    I'm 28, 5"8" and 148lbs. I lost 27 lbs in about 9 months (slow and steady!) from eating at TDEE - 20% and exercising 5-6 days per week. My workouts consist of Jillian Michaels DVDs and ballet 2X per week. Before the winter I was also running outside 2 or 3X per week. The last time I ran outside was the Thanksgiving 5K! I'm definitely ready to get back to a gym and do some lifting. I know that's what I need to do to get the body that I want. My goal weight is 145lbs so I only have a few lbs to go, but I have a lot of body fat.

Anyone do NROLFW at a Planet Fitness and find that the equipment is ok?
  • blondie_182_182
    blondie_182_182 Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    Hi guys! I'm new. I just finished reading NROLFW and am going to start soon. A new planet fitness is opening right near my house next week but I just have to make sure they will have the proper equipment before I join. I've heard that some of them don't have free weights at all.

About me:
    I'm 28, 5"8" and 148lbs. I lost 27 lbs in about 9 months (slow and steady!) from eating at TDEE - 20% and exercising 5-6 days per week. My workouts consist of Jillian Michaels DVDs and ballet 2X per week. Before the winter I was also running outside 2 or 3X per week. The last time I ran outside was the Thanksgiving 5K! I'm definitely ready to get back to a gym and do some lifting. I know that's what I need to do to get the body that I want. My goal weight is 145lbs so I only have a few lbs to go, but I have a lot of body fat.

Anyone do NROLFW at a Planet Fitness and find that the equipment is ok?

I am doing NROL4W at a Planet Fitness and I have no problem with the equipment. The only thing they are lacking are step-up benches, so I just do mine on a normal weight bench. I would definitely check into the one near your house first. I have heard that some of them don't have free weights either. I just joined mine a couple of months ago and I took a tour of the place before signing up to make sure they had what I wanted.
  • lcuconley
    Options
    I just started doing my step-ups on an aerobic step with 6 risers and its perfect!

Welcome Alpine, Blondie and Ellen!
  • gymbunny1962
    gymbunny1962 Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    I'm Lorna, 50 years old and starting tonight. I've been lifting for 2 years but felt my programme needed a revamp and a bit more structure. Did a bit of research and found NRoL4W which I downloaded to my Kindle Fire at the weekend and have read from cover to cover already. Not taken any 'before' photographs yet but did weigh myself and check %age body fat on the scales at the gym at the weekend. However, I was a little bit naughty - I told the machine that my age as 21 cos I hate the way these things calculate your %age BF based on age! So, I'm 5'8'', 155 lbs and 18.6% BF (and 29 years younger)!
  • Rogiefreida
    Rogiefreida Posts: 567 Member
    Options

Rogie - so glad you are restarting! Can people sign compression sleeves like they sign casts?

hahahaha I wish! My husband calls it my Jamaican arm because it's so brown. :) It definitely needs bedazzling or to be dyed a different color, but I haven't figured out how yet. Another day.

I started Workout 1A1 Sunday and it was awesome! It's kind of nice starting over and knowing how to do stuff, like not fall of the stability ball during prone jackknifes! :bigsmile:
  • lcuconley
    Options
    Rogue- ooh bedazzling! That's a great idea.

Lorna - welcome!
  • Joreanasaurous
    Joreanasaurous Posts: 1,384 Member
    Options
    Hello everyone. My name is Jorean and I will be finishing the book this weekend and starting next week.

I am just shy of 5 foot, 28 years old and weight about 112.

I was born with a mild form of cerebral palsy. As a result my coordination is horrible as well as my balance and the doctors told me that I would always be "low tone" with a weak core.

After being joining a gym and doing a mix of cardio and a bit of weights I discovered TRX and started to notice definition in my arms and shoulders and decided the doctors were full of crap and that I can be as strong as I allow myself to be. Thus why I am here. I can't wait to start.
  • lcuconley
    Options
    Hello everyone. My name is Jorean and I will be finishing the book this weekend and starting next week.

I am just shy of 5 foot, 28 years old and weight about 112.

I was born with a mild form of cerebral palsy. As a result my coordination is horrible as well as my balance and the doctors told me that I would always be "low tone" with a weak core.

After being joining a gym and doing a mix of cardio and a bit of weights I discovered TRX and started to notice definition in my arms and shoulders and decided the doctors were full of crap and that I can be as strong as I allow myself to be. Thus why I am here. I can't wait to start.

Dyn-o-mite!!!

Welcome!
  • tdbernrd
    tdbernrd Posts: 510 Member
    Options
    My name is Tracy. I'm a mother of two boys, 18 and 13. I will start NROL4W on March 3rd. I still have some reading to do and some planning around my sons' schedules. I'm looking to lose some weight and get lean. Initially I plan on working out at home until my boys are out of school for the summer.