Introductions

Options
1181920212224»

Replies

• DawnEmbers
    DawnEmbers Posts: 2,451 Member
    Options
    Welcome Kaleberry.

The stages are how the workouts are set up in the book and program New Rules of Lifting for Women. They are found in the book but you could probably also find them online too.
  • Greenfireflygirl
    Greenfireflygirl Posts: 1 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    Hi, I'm new to the group, and lifting too! I'm in stage 1, and have only done 6 workouts, but I am really happy with how easy to understand this program is, it's totally written out for you with exactly what you need to do (this appeals to my type a personality) and all I need to do, is figure out what weights to use and when to add more. I'm still figuring that out, and have had to alter a couple of things to do the program. (no bench or bar yet, so subbing dumbells wherever I can!)

If anyone has a good link to a bar set that they can send me, decently priced I'd really appreciate it!
  • patf1979
    patf1979 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Hi. New to this group but have been doing NROLW for about 5 weeks now. Just thought I'd introduce myself. I am 35, mum of 3 and this is my first time doing strength training. I'm hoping for motivation and encouragement to stick with it.
  • retirehappy
    retirehappy Posts: 4,752 Member
    Options
    Joined this group to learn about women and lifting. I am retired, doing a lot of fitness classes like circuit training, cardio, and yoga. I also get in at least 10K steps a day. In the past when losing weight I lost muscle and have had to cut further and further back on calories to lose weight, I am trying to not do that this time.
  • DawnEmbers
    Options
    Welcome! :smile:
  • TigerNY128
    TigerNY128 Posts: 763 Member
    Options
    Hi! I just received the book and I'm almost done reading it! Can't wait to get started!
  • TigerNY128
    TigerNY128 Posts: 763 Member
    Options
    Is this group still active????
  • DawnEmbers
    Options
    Hi there. Most of us post in the main thread to check in our workouts, more so than some of the stickies, but yep, still plenty of activity going on in the group.

Welcome.
  • harieta
    harieta Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    Hello! I am also new to this group. I have started the program this week and I love it! (I am sore, but I love that too! :) )
  • DawnEmbers
    Options
    harieta wrote: »
    Hello! I am also new to this group. I have started the program this week and I love it! (I am sore, but I love that too! :) )

Hi there and welcome to the group! :smile:
  • cmon288
    cmon288 Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    Hi. I'm on week 1 and my 3rd workout. :smile: I've been getting sore a lot, but I love it. Looking for a lot of motivation, so I can stay on track. Feel free to add me as a friend, especially if you're just starting the program. Maybe we can encourage each other.
  • Bearface115
    Bearface115 Posts: 574 Member
    Options
    Hello all! I'm going to start this hopefully tomorrow! I have 100 pounds I'd like to lose, but most importantly, I want to look and feel sexy again. I'm married and trying for children. Had two miscarriages in two years and my last one was recent. I had enough. I need to get strong and healthy. This is a good path to take because I heard strength training is better for long term weight loss when done appropriately over time!
  • KezJT
    KezJT Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    Hello all. I tried New Rules about a year ago, and loved it, but only managed the first stage due to finding it impossible to get to the gym regularly enough. This time round I'm doing it from home:/

I'm 43, from the UK, carer to my husband who has a selection of physically disabling conditions and my 4 kids, who have all managed to have their very own special needs:/ I work in a school, which gives me all the holidays off to eat...... Want to get fitter, healthier and thinner, but also strnger as I've really noticed my strength failing recently and need to be able to do all the heavy lifting life throws at us!

Did my first work-out today:)

Starting stats:
    Female
    43 years
    5'6 and 12st,12lb or 81kg
    size uk 16 (ish)
  • 7yearbitch
    7yearbitch Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    Hello everyone! Just joined this group. Thought I'd say hello and introduce myself.

I started this program this week.

I started lifting a year ago with a strength and conditioning coach. My goal was to learn how to lift properly. Aesthetics weren't a part of it at all, though, I won't lie, they're a positive side benefit. :) At any rate, for the last year I've focused more on form and technique than anything else, but that's what I wanted.

Now that I feel like I understand what I'm doing, I've decided to go it on my own. I got both NROL4W and Strong Curves for Christmas (I brought my husband to the bookstore, picked both books up and said, "I really want these"), and after talking to my old coach, we both agreed that starting with NROL4W was the best choice, and then afterwards do Strong Curves. (He's great. Even though I'm not seeing him anymore, my coach still encourages me to ask him questions.)

I'm overweight, but in the last year I've had a considerable recomp happen. I've lost 4" off my waist, and my arms have gotten beefier and my shoulders are wider. (Totally have to bring my wool coat in to the tailor. My arms don't fit in it anymore.) I'm almost 15 pounds heavier than when I started. I wasn't watching what I ate (though I eat whole foods. I cook everything from scratch). I just ate when I was hungry, which was ALL OF THE TIME. Lifting makes me a ferocious eater. Again, aesthetics aren't really much of a concern for me. According to my doctor, I'm fit as a fiddle, even if I could lose 30-40 lbs.

Stats:

Female
    5'3"
    170lbs

DL 1RM - 175lbs (A goal of mine is to hit 200 in the next couple of months. I LOVE DEADLIFTS!)
    BP 1RM - 75lbs
    OHP 1RM - 115lbs
    Squat 1RM - Untested, but can do 115x6

And now I'm focusing on nutrition to fuel myself. I started the nutrition side of the program a week before I started the workout portion (I use a college gym and it was closed from Dec. 24th-Jan. 4th), and I've had to change the macro split. My body was NOT happy with that much protein. I was tired, headache-y and grumpy. I've lowered the protein intake and upped both carbs and fat, and that seems to have done the trick. My body is much happier now. I'm still fiddling with it.

So, anyway, hello!

(And feel free to add me as a friend, just leave a little message saying you're from this group.)
  • Jecka987
    Jecka987 Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    Hi, I'm Jess.

I'm 28, from New Zealand and currently embarking on the NROLFW Stage 1. I was on MFP a few years ago and lost a lot of weight, mostly through cardio and drastic calorie deficits. I ended up starving hungry, mad and ultimately it was unsustainable for me to live like that. I've put most of the weight back on again, and while some of it I needed I feel unhealthy, lethargic and disappointed to be back at square 1. I want to make changes I can stick to, I like the idea of revving my metabolism, eating more and exercising to be fit and strong (rather than skinny) so here I am!

Starting stats:
    28, Female
    5'4.5"
    140 pounds

Feel free to add me - I am looking out for supportive motivating friends and can be the same in return!
    :)
  • sarahcjacques
    sarahcjacques Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Hi,
    I'm Sarah, 35 years old, mother of two boys. I've just downloaded NROL4W, so hope to start in the next few days.
    Currently I'm using a personal trainer twice a week who mixes hiit and weights, and I also do 1-2 spin sessions or bodypump per week. Looking at starting this programme for when I no long use the trainer. I've tried strong curves last summer but ended up with hip injury (which is why I started using trainer to help me prevent further injury).
    My aim is to reduce body fat and increase muscle.
    Hope this plan is a good as I'm expecting as seen it mentioned positively on mfp!
  • SuperMelinator
    SuperMelinator Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    Hi, I'm Mel.

34, mother of 4 (oldest is 6, youngest is almost 10mo). I'm not necessarily after weight loss, but I am looking for a body recomp. 4 (HUGE) pregnancies and 3 c-secs is rough on a body! I've been lifting and doing HIIT for just over a month with a trainer and (FINALLY!) started fitting back into my pre-pregnancy work slacks! I also learned that I really LOVE lifting, and since my trainer just randomly chooses a workout for me, I wanted a little more direction and something I could do on my own without her around. Looking forward to lifting heavy and feeling strong!