Introductions

Options

Replies

• wibutterflymagic
    wibutterflymagic Posts: 788 Member
    Options
    Hi, I'm Terry. I just finished Stage 1 and am starting my week off. I'm going to take my measurements tonight to see if anything changed. I still have at least 15lbs to lose. Feel free to friend me.
  • granitendirt
    Options
    Hi everyone!

Quick introduction - I'm on week 2 of Stage 1 and so far, so good. Weight lifting isn't new to me, but it's good to have a structured program to follow and I have committed to finishing it. Whenever I've lifted before, I've just picked some exercises and never varied the routine. I'd get bored and stop after a few months.

What's been hard for me so far:

1) Accepting that the program wants me to eat more calories. Cool!

2) Getting enough protein.

3) Doing the higher amounts of reps that the early stages call for.

4) Swapping out my running for lifting, since I don't have enough time to do both!

I don't post a lot but you'll probably see me poking around from time to time.

Cheers,
    Whitney
  • Mimisam45
    Mimisam45 Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    Hi, I am Sam - 57, female - married for 27 years with 5 children and 10 grandchildren, ages 16 to 2 years. I work out most days of the week at 5am with my daughter before work.

We are just finishing Stage 1 - workouts A & B and getting ready to start the next set of exercises. Just in time too, we are bored senseless of doing the same ones every week!!

The boredom with the exercises is mostly my fault, wish I would have found this forum BEFORE we started!! We have always done the machines and mostly cardio. . . . not highly effective. My daughter has always been the "coach" so when I mentioned this program (thanks to all the chatter on MFP) she decided that I should be the coach.

Because the book is so darn confusing on the workouts we started out by doing the entire workout, all sets, each time!! It took forever and caused great soreness (read intense pain lasting several days). WE dabbled this way for a couple weeks before I googled the program and got some advise on how the exercises are supposed to be done. We had a couple weeks with vacations and days off so getting through workouts A & B has taken several weeks and we are anxious to move on!!!

I am thankful for MFP and this group!!
  • ndnmomma
    ndnmomma Posts: 466 Member
    Options
    Well I'll just keep my name as it is on here.
    I have been married for 12 years this August to a wonderful and supportive man. He has never waivered in providing me with support and money :) We have four beautiful children together 14, 11, 7, and 5. A perfect mix of two boys and two girls, and a whole lot of crazy around my house. I am a little crazy, and I love outdoors, I do drink a little from time to time and proud that it is not near as much as I used to, whiskey is my weakness. It is what it is, but I'm trying my best to cut back. I work for the State Park system in Arkansas, and I absolutely love my job. In fact with a full time job at the office and a full time job at home you can imagine how crazy my time can be. It's hard to fit in my exercise time, what I call me time, but I do it and my husband is amazing as he steps up and allows and encourages me to have this time. I started my journey at 200 pounds and miserable with a lifetime of bad habits and eating. It's been a long process almost three years now, but slow and steady wins the race, at least in my experience. I have come to love weights and strength training, but I do love cardio as well its a difficult balance for me to find, but I'm doing ok. I've wanted to try NROL4W for some time now, and I just got the courage to give it a go. I started this week on June 24, and I must say as of now I love it.
  • Bonnieg318
    Bonnieg318 Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    Hi I am Bonnie, over the last 2 years I have lost 70lbs and I am struggling to loose the last 20lbs I have to go.
    I am 31, a nurse and have a great BF. I have tried a lot of things and I am now going to try NROL4W. I have read the book and I am motivated by it! I am starting tonight. I am a little nervous to hit the weight side of the gym. I usually just stick to cardio machines. I am actually just going back to a gym after about a year and a half of no gym memberships. I look forward to the group, the support and advice here!
  • Barbellgirl
    Barbellgirl Posts: 544 Member
    Options
    I just wanted to say hello to all you lovely lifting ladies. I've been working with a personal trainer for the last four weeks. When our sessions end soon, I'll figure out where to start in the plan. I'm enjoying lifting so much I'm putting together a home gym with a weight bench and Olympic bar and plates. I hate cardio but love lifting. Who knew??? Lol
  • HotMamaByVday
    HotMamaByVday Posts: 343 Member
    Options
    I was around and then I got bored and now I am back.

I am Lansing, wife, mother of 3 humans and 3 dogs and a teacher. I need the muscle now that I am inching towards 40. I know this is what I need and it makes me feel awesome, so I will follow the program this time. Last time, I didn't take the required breaks and I know that is why I got bored.

Also, I am significantly loweering my carb intake and raising my protein intake over the next few weeks as a permanent change to my diet. I know what my enemy is and its white white white and processed. processed, processed. (sugar, potatoes, breads, donuts, cake, cookies) Its a tough challenge but I want to be in a size 6 by New Year's.

Thanks!
  • secret_squirrel
    Options
    Hi! I am Secret Squirrel. I am an undercover agent and an anthrotoonmorphic squirrel. One day, I was talking to Morocco Mole, and said that I would rather have some muscle than just be thin and squishy. I have about 40 lbs to lose (that is a VERY fluid number, as I know that with added muscle I will weigh more). I have already lost a lot, but, this is my first time starting weights and figured this would be a good start. I just did Day 1 yesterday. I am sore. But, it felt pretty cool to be able to step up to the big boy side of the gym!
  • theoriginaljayne
    theoriginaljayne Posts: 562 Member
    Options
    Hi, I'm Jayne. I currently run and do bodyweight strength training, but I'll be heading off to college in about a month... and college = access to a gym with a weight room = time for NROL4W! I don't really need to lose any weight, but I do want to drop my BF%, build muscle, look and feel better, and generally be more badass than I am now. I also like the idea of eating more food. All in all, I'm very excited, and I can't wait to begin!
  • ptaradactyl88
    ptaradactyl88 Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    Hi. I'm Tara. 43. Happily married. Aquarius. Night shifter which means I get the gym pretty much to myself most afternoons since starting NROLFW. Loving it! Don't do groups and discussion boards much but I found this and figured it was where I needed to be right now. I have been doing alot of walking and getting into some yoga but really wanted to get strong and have heard great things about this program. Started July 1st and plan to take my time working through Stage 1.
  • petallew
    petallew Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Hi I'm Petal. I am 32 years old with 2 kids and a husband. I have just done my first workout although I have been eyeing this group for sometime now.
    I have already lost around 15 pounds... But I'm trying not to look at the scale. I have seen some of your results and hope mine can be half as impressive... Cheers!
  • DenyseMarieL
    DenyseMarieL Posts: 673 Member
    Options
    Hi I'm Denyse, 40, married, four kids ages 22 to 14.

I'm in stage 3, and I love it! I am noticing differences already. I am looking forward to reading about everyone's progress and gaining any tips everyone might have.

Good luck everyone! We can do it!
  • minisumo
    minisumo Posts: 301 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone, after much lurking here I finally got around to ordering NROL4W and my copy arrived last week. Have read through most of it and will be doing my first workout today. Excited but slightly intimidated at the same time! I've calculated that if I do the programme exactly as per the book I'll finish just a few days before my 40th birthday - best present ever :happy:

I know we're supposed to limit cardio, but I also want to achieve my goal of running a 5k before I'm 40 so I'll be combining NROL with interval running as a form of HIIT, plus a long run once a week (tho currently when I say "long" I'm talking 5 minutes!). I might also throw in yoga, tennis, Zumba once a week but that will probably be further down the line when I'm a little less wobbly.

I won't be following the eating plan as I do Eat Stop Eat which I love.

My goal is to get rid of the flab and to get back into all my old clothes which have been sitting in the wardrobe unloved for the last 10 years. And, of course, to have a body that I can finally be proud of.

Good to meet you all!
  • kikicooks
    kikicooks Posts: 1,079 Member
    Options
    Hello, I just started NROL4W on Saturday. I'm not new to the program, I've started it a couple times but never followed through. I'm a slacker lol. Hoping this time I will keep with it!
  • KMasz
    KMasz Posts: 2,651 Member
    Options
    Hey! My name is Katie! I'm 22 years old, 5'2", 140lbs. I am going to start this program next week and stumbled upon this group and it looks great! I'm hoping to use this for support and motivation, maybe to find a couple friends to check in with from time to time. If anyone wants to add me, that'd be great!

Quick question though, I have been following MFP for a while and am currently eating 1330 calories + exercise calories. For the diet plan for this book it says I should eat 1580 on non workout days and 1880 on workout days. How should I increase my calories, right away or gradually?
  • phieaglefan
    phieaglefan Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    Well, I've been posting here for a few weeks, perhaps I should introduce myself. I'm Heidi, 52 years old. I've been married for 29 years (this Sunday) and have three wonderful grown children. My husband has been very supportive, if a bit confused by my sudden interest in lifting weights.

I found NROLFW as I was nearing the end of my weight loss. Even though my ticker says 26 pounds, I really lost 30 from my highest weight. I started reading about lifting and the benefits. Due to equipment constraints, I started doing YAYOG. Then I got NROLFW from the library and figured out I could do it at home.

I have done 8 workouts so far and I love it (well, not the pushups!) but I'm excited because those are getting a hair easier.

Well, just wanted to say hello!
  • AyeCorona
    AyeCorona Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    Hello to all the inspiring ladies here! A little about me- 32 years old, 5'10", 166lbs (hoping to trim the fat), and hoping to this program is something I'll be able to stick with (get bored easily). I just finished reading NROLFW and signed up at a local gym yesterday. Tonight is going to be my first workout and I'm super excited to see what my body is capable of doing. I'd like to make some friends here to keep me motivated.
  • Hev_uk
    Hev_uk Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    Hi, I'm Heather. Aged 26, 161cms, 161lbs (how symmetrical, I only just noticed that!).

Currently half way through Stage 1 (workout B5 tomorrow). I spent the last year working with a trainer doing squats, kettlebells, trx etc which was great but I moved away and am doing it on my own now whilst following New Rules. I love squats! I struggle a bit with concentrating on my form as I enjoying lifting heavy so always want to add weight. I'm looking forward to the rest of the programme and chatting with other members. Please feel free to add me as a friend as I don't have any lifting friends on MFP
  • kaylacollinscna
    kaylacollinscna Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    Hi, I'm Kayla. I'm 20 years old, 5'5" and currently 220 lbs.
    I started out at 240, my highest weight that I've ever been and lost 20 lbs eating at a deficit and doing only cardio. It's been a slow process but I can see and feel the changes. After stumbling on a thread about women lifting I became interested in incorporating heavy lifting into my workouts. To me it seems like it will help me get to my big long-term goal the fastest.

I say long-term because it could take me 6 months minimum to achieve it...

I would like to join the military. I haven't completely committed to a branch yet but I'm looking at the Coast Guard and the Navy. For any branch (not including Air Force because I can't join them, my vision is too bad, but they also have the highest weight limit) the weight limit for women my height is around 160 lbs. I can still join if my weight is above the limit if my body fat percentage is to their standards though.

I kind of screwed myself over doing only cardio and eating below my calories for the day... sometimes way below. I lost LBM. Heavy lifting is my new ray of hope because I'll be able to gain back LBM and lose weight in the process (and eat more!), meaning I can now work towards meeting either one of the requirements and hopefully get in faster! I'm also excited about becoming stronger so that I will be ready for boot camp. Currently I can't do any (on the floor) push ups and I'd like to be able to do them before I go in, because I know I'll be doing a lot of them! I'm super excited to start NROLFW tomorrow. :)
  • runzalot81
    runzalot81 Posts: 782 Member
    Options
    Welcome, Kayla!