Introductions

Options

Replies

• LuizH
    LuizH Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    Hi, I'm Lou. I'm 34, 5'1" and currently 165lbs. I've been smaller, and I've been a LOT bigger, but my body always seems to find a way back to this weight.

I'm big on my cardio (run, swim or bike almost daily), which I know doesn't fit too well with heavy lifting, but it gives me a daily stress outlet, and allows me to eat more :embarassed: .

I'm on week 1 of NROLFW, I bought the book 6 months ago, but I'm only just now getting round to starting the program. I know from past experience that I build muscle quickly, so I fully expect to be one of the few women who do actually get bulky through lifting heavy, but if I can strip some fat too then I'm fine with that!
  • julie_emma1
    Options
    Hello all! I'm Julie and am 27 years old. I'm married and am a full-time medical student. Feel free to add me!

I'm an avid--albeit injury prone--runner, and don't do a lot of other types of exercise (yoga here and there). My habit has been to run about 5 days per week, completing steady, long distances. HOWEVER, after suffering for the last 3 months with IT band syndrome while training for my latest half marathon, on top of numerous other running injuries over the last few years, I've concluded that my body needs a change!

So, my goal is to do the NROL4W plan 2-3X per week and then run shorter, faster distances (maybe with intervals??) 2-3X per week. I started NROL4W TODAY (yay!) and just finished workout A. Loving it so far!

Any other runner-lifters out there? Would love some tips from others that have combined running with NROL4W :-) I'm hoping to continue running because I just love races! But I'm thinking about quitting the half marathon distance and moving towards racing quick and strong 5 or 10Ks.
  • ThePinkPenguin
    Options
    I'm Ali, short for Alison, and 28 years old. I started out on my weight loss/fitness journey on February and lost 20 pounds. But, I've been stuck for almost three months and keep fluctuating between gaining and losing 1-2 pounds! I really want to be down more before the end of the year, and after being resistant to lifting, I've decided to give it a try. I plan on buying the NROLFW book this week.

I can't entirely give up cardio. I have my license to teach Zumba, and although my work schedule is limiting the time I have to spend on that, I still sit at work or listen to my iPod imagining different routines. I definitely want to teach it when things slow down a little, so I have to keep going to classes as a participant so I don't get rusty. Right now, I'm going to try to focus my plan around dance/Zumba and strength training and see where that gets me.

I feel incorporating lifting will help me meet my goal of becoming a good example to my students when I do get time to teach. I'd also like to get certified in a Les Mills program someday, but I feel nervous about doing that at this point in my loss.

Can't wait to get started and talk to you all!
  • lawlorka
    lawlorka Posts: 484 Member
    Options
    Hi All

My name is Karen and I'm 28yrs old, living in the UK. CW is about 147ish give or take a couple of lbs. GW is 125ish depending on how I look/feel as I get closer to it

I have ordered the book and it should arrive today/tomorrow and I'm going to start the programme next Tuesday. I even joined a gym so I have access to everything I need so no excuses!

I won't be giving up cardio though. I'm right in the middle of the C25K programme and I want to move straight onto the 10k programme from there as I'm signed up to a 5k and a 10k in the New Year.

I mainly want to start a good strength training programme because I want to look good as well as be thin! I want to look good in a bikini or a pair of shorts and cardio alone is not going to do that for me. I also want to be strong. I can't even do a push up now so hopefully this programme will help me!
  • WillLift4Tats
    WillLift4Tats Posts: 1,699 Member
    Options
    Hey ya'll,

I'm Synthia, 24, married, no kids (besides the furry variety), and sending greetings from the Texas Hill Country :). I have toyed with small weights here and there but admittedly am a fan of cardio. I used to dance in high school (high-kicking Texas variety), fell in love with running for a long while the last 2 years until some upsetting injuries tore me off the bandwagon, and have mostly been exercising through group classes lately such as Body Combat (definitely a fave), Circuit Training, Cycling, and Zumba, with seriously minor weight training sprinkled in. While I've seen pretty good results and have lost a good bit of weight through all of that, I'm still not seeing my body change into what I hoped it would. I am now only pounds away from goal weight and I'm thinking...."I'm either going to have to lower my goal weight *sigh*, or I need to give a go at this lifting thing everyone keeps going on about".

There are so many amazing success stories from tons of beautiful women on here. How can you NOT become a bit curious? It's not only the inspiring before/after photos that are enticing, but the empowering attitude that I see emanate from these ladies that really sparks the curiosity. I'm realizing, yes, one of my goals is to be "smaller" and "thinner" but I also want to be strong! and powerful! I didn't like seeing my mini goal weight, then seeing my reflection and thinking: how low of calories, how many more cardio sessions, how much more weight would I have to lose to get that shape I was looking for? And how weak will I be IF I get there? I don't want to be 125 lbs, still skinny-fat, still hate the way I look, and be starving! So here I am :).

I just ordered my copy of NROL4W off Amazon and I'm pretty pumped to get started. I'm craving that empowered attitude and I can't wait to be a success story!
  • michelledsmith517
    Options
    hi everyone!! i'm michelle from ri. i have 3 kids 4 & under. i wasn't going to follow this book's program, but reading the threads in this group kind of convinced me otherwise. i've been lifting for 2 years and feel like i'm at a point where i'm spinning my wheels a bit. i'm 10lbs away from goal weight and have made the decision to focus on building more muscle. might as well since i've been eating over maintenance (accidentally ;p) anyway! running is my true love but liftingvis a close second. i'm signed up for a 1/2 marathon in march. i ballooned up during 2 of my 3 pregnancies, lost the weight fairly easily, but have a tendency to be skinnyfat. i'm bad about getting enough protein. looking forward to seeing everyone's progress, self included! add me! :))
  • RedBess
    RedBess Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    Hi everyones!

I have just bought the book and may take a week or so to read through the threads on this topic and the book before I get started.

I have been in and out of the gym since I was 16. When I started, I was working out with my boyfriend at the time and was up to a level where I was lifting what most of the guys could. It was the most awesome feeling and there was no "intimidation" when it came to working out in the "boys area". I have gone up and down the last 15 years, but have never been in that kind of shape again. I got a little more serious with my health and weight about 4 years ago with a C25K program. After moving from the county to a city 2 years ago, meeting a great running partner who was experienced, I train for and ran my first marathon last year. It was so awesome. I ran another one this year and plan to do at least one if not two next year. So, now that my cardio is in order, I want to get that muscle definition and strength back. I definitely have some fat to lose (I am trying not to say 7-10 lbs as I know with lifting I am bound to gain more than I lose weight-wise), I am at about 30% right now. I do some weight training… I am a huge Jillian Michaels fan and do her 30DS and NMTZ all the time. But it just doesn't seem to be enough. After reading a lot of posts on MFP about this book, I have decided to give it a try. I use to love lifting… it was "my thing" and I want that back.

Feel free to add me as a friend. I could use the support and encouragement… and hopefully the occasional pat on the back.
  • Hi everyone, I am in Stage 3 of NROL4W and also a member of the group of Facebook! I am back on MFP to track macros and keep myself encouraged/motivated. Looking for new friends, so don't hesitate to add!
  • mmipanda
    mmipanda Posts: 351 Member
    Options
    I thought I'd give this a crack. I'm really happy with my diet but I want to be strong too. I've tried to learn from my fiance but I felt like what works for him doesn't work for me. When I was reading the book I was like 'yes! Finally, someone gets it! I knew it was a waste of time trying to work on individual muscles!'

I did my first day yesterday. omg. those jackknife things on the swiss ball were impossible. My balance is awful!
  • MissingMinnesota
    MissingMinnesota Posts: 7,486 Member
    Options
    Hi all,
    I am Ruth. I just started reading the book (currently on rule 17 "more meals are better then few"
    I am 36 and single.
    I have been on MFP since 2010 for the frist 2 years I did a good combo of weight training and cardio (I know bad word) along with the mfp calorie guidelines. I was down to 90 lbs and 24% body fat after 14 months and held steady until this year. I had some personal issues (both emotional and phyiscal) come up and have put on about 70lbs of it back even though I was playing sports multiple times a week I wasn't hitting the gym or watching what I ate like I was before. Depending on what the work out plans are like will depend on when I can start again since I am recovering from a broken ankle (cast has been off 2 weeks) and can't jump or run or put too much pressure on it until mid feb. Right now I can only do low impact. Not looking forward to going back to the gym in midst of all the revoluntionars but it can't be helped.
  • pteryndactyl
    pteryndactyl Posts: 303 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone,

My name is Teryn, I'm 24 y/o. This is probably cliche (being January 1st) but I started the program today. I've been actively using MFP for about 11 months now and since I'm happy with my weight, I want to focus on strength training and body re-comp. I did Stage 1, Workout A today and I'm happy with how I did! I'm finding it really hard to stay on the ball when I do my prone jackknifes, but I think balance will come with a little practice. Good luck to everyone else starting out or keeping up with the program! Feel free to add me if you think we'd get along!
  • sami_83
    sami_83 Posts: 161
    Options
    Hi all!

I am in stage one of NROL4W, though until last night I had skipped my workouts for a whole month! I was too busy in the lead up to xmas, then it was too hot here... excuses excuses. Anyway I did miss it, so I am straight back into it again. I am determined to finish the program. I have my weights set up at home however I need some more weight plates because I can already easily lift what I have currently. I guess that's a good sign.

I've already seen myself improve immensely from the first workout. Like mmipanda I struggled with the jackknives at first but now I find them quite easy! I challenged the boyfriend to give them a go and he was terrible at it, which made me feel good because he is one of those excellent sporty/coordinated people that win at everything without trying :laugh:

Glad to have found this group! If I have any silly questions I will be posting them here :wink:

Feel free to add me if you'd like to be friends!
  • Nimroth
    Nimroth Posts: 18
    Options
    Hello everyone! I'm Laura, 26 from Leeds, UK. New to MFP and this book! Did the very first workout this morning. Have been kinda casually been doing a bit of weight lifting for the past few months but had no real direction plus apparently was eating too little (according to this book) and then filling up on junk! This eating stuff from the book has been a revelation for me. I am vegetarian so having to work hard to get the amount of protein in that the book suggests. Otherwise I'm a single mama to a 2 year old boy and full time university student. So hope I can fit everything in!
  • Yanks1996
    Yanks1996 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone. I'm Kim, 33, from NYC. I've been lurking on these boards for awhile as I got started and finally decided to go ahead an introduce myself. I'm new to weightlifting but decided I wanted to start when I couldn't open a jar by myself. I really want to be stronger. I read the book and am on my fourth week of stage 1. So far I like it quite a bit. My gym doesn't have a squat rack or an Olympic bar so I've had to modify some of the lifts, but I think I'm making it work. I'm looking forward to seeing some real results!
  • Elsie_Brownraisin
    Elsie_Brownraisin Posts: 786 Member
    Options
    Hi,

I may be entering that special, angry and hot time of a woman's life (at 29!) and my GP recommended weight lifting for the bones, so here I am.

I've been wanting to try lifting anyway because I get bored of the treadmill and I bought the book today.

Yay!
  • Gambrell104
    Gambrell104 Posts: 282 Member
    Options
    Hey! Just ordered my book, it should be here Tuesday and I can not wait to get started! Feel free to add me!
  • redlipsticklyfe
    redlipsticklyfe Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    Hi!!!!! I'll be starting the program on Monday and I'm really excited. I was doing a program that I found on bodybuilding.com and while it's given me so decent results I'm bored mindless. I did the same two workouts four times a week for two and a half months. These 7 different phases are like a gift from the gods. I'll be doing the work outs from home and ordered my barbell and step earlier this week. I'm really excited to get started! I've printed out log sheets and figured out which of the recipes from the book I'll be using. All that's left is to do before pictures and take measurements.
  • metanoia0116
    metanoia0116 Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    Good morning!!! My name is Meghan and I am really happy to have found a group of women lifters. I am not doing NROL exactly because I don't have the time to do a full session. Instead, a friend of mine, who has done a lot of lifting and NROL4W has made me workouts to follow. Right now I am doing a supercharged version 3 times a week. I am frustrated though because in the last five weeks I haven't lost anything weight wise and only 1.5 inches. I hope it picks up.

Friend me if you'd like. :)
  • seren1ty74
    seren1ty74 Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    Hi, I'm Em and ready to start the program (finally; I bought the book at Xmas but didn't finish it until yesterday). I've lost a total of 40 lbs since last summer (some without MFP) but have stalled. I'd love to give the program a go! I have tried body pump but the tempo was too fast for me and quickly hurt my back - I learned a ton though about form, the hard way. I have also done a little Stronglifts, but got bored. Any tips/tricks would be appreciated. I am starting in my home but will probably join a gym when i feel its time to up my weights. Or will just buy more weights, I dunno yet. Good luck everyone!
  • marieann82
    marieann82 Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    Hi. My name is Marie and I live in Montana. I have two amazing kids--my daughter is 6 years old and my son is 5. My husband and I work together out of our home (I work part-time until both my kids are in school in the fall). I joined MFP a year ago and was in great shape doing Jillian's Body Revolution. I felt great. This past winter hit me like a ton of bricks, I ended up getting sick almost every month and had to take antibiotics 5 times for separate illnesses. I gained 10lbs and I am rather disappointed in myself by not being more on top of my eating to curb that weight gain (logging would have been A GOOD IDEA!). However, I am trying not to beat myself up, I am going to try to move on and focus on lifting and eating LOTS of protein and see where it leads.

I have been wanting to do NROLFW for about a year now. I joined a 24 hour, key-card gym recently and started with NROLforLife. I really like lifting and I am so excited to get my Nrol4W book today from Amazon. This program seems like it progresses with a little more intensity than the forLife program.

I don't care how much I weigh as long as I am strong and lean--a size 8 is my goal and to maintain it! If I were to lose around 15 lbs in that process, it would be icing on the cake, I just don't want to put too much emphasis on what the scale says if my body is changing for the better. I changed my macros last night, and will be eating around 1600 cals a day (may change after reading the book). I am not afraid of eating a lot of food but I do try to eat as "clean" as possible and will be focusing on protein first to ensure I am eating the best for the program.

I would love some MFP friends to help me in the journey, so please feel free to add me.