Excess Skin Forum (Surgery or Body Image)

Options

Replies

• grim_traveller
    grim_traveller Posts: 627 Member
    Options
    Sorry, not many men around here to begin with. It might be something I'd consider at some point, but I would have to win the powerball first.

I certainly have extra skin, but it isn't anything I stay awake at night thinking about. My bikini wearing days are over.
  • cspinelli712
    cspinelli712 Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    I have read somewhere that surgerons will not perform cosmetic surgery on weight loss patients until you are at least 18 months past surgery. I am now 3 months post surgery and down 56 pounds as of today. I am seeing changes in my face and growls and neck that I do not like looking at and it is only going to get worse as time goes by. I am sure once I am down 100 pounds I will have a turkey neck. I think I might have a Life Style lift for my face and neck next year and I know right now the bat wings will have to go too. I am not sure if insurance will cover a tummy tuck unless there is a medical reason for it. There is only so much money so I need to pick wisely.
  • MacMadame
    MacMadame Posts: 1,893 Member
    Options
    I have read somewhere that surgerons will not perform cosmetic surgery on weight loss patients until you are at least 18 months past surgery.
    Nope, not true.

Surgeons want your weight to be stable but they all have different guidelines for when that is and most don't go by when you had surgery but by how many months your weight has been stable. Many plastic surgeons will operate on you almost the second you get to goal, it seems to me! :laugh:

There have been a lot of plastic surgeon coming to my bariatric surgeon's support group over the years plus I've been to some presentations at conferences. I've heard from maybe 7 PS at this point. The earliest I've heard is 3 months of weight stability and the longest is 6 months.

That said, personally *I* would wait until you are 1 year out from goal. My experience and the experience of so many of my friends is that the weight redistributes and the skin continues to shrink and that you can't really know what your final result will be until then. I know that I was dead set on getting PS right when I got to goal but, for various reasons that wasn't practical and now that I'm farther out, had a bit of bounce back (thank goodness), I am a lot less interested in it.

So I'm glad I waited
  • cspinelli712
    Options
    Hi ladies, I have lost 66 pounds as of today, it has been 4 months since my surgery. I sometimes get frustrated but for the most part I am happy I have had WLS. Before this surgery I did think about cosmetic surgery down the road. I can already see my arms are going to have to be done first. With 66 pounds gone I already have the bat wings starting. Just yesterday I lifted my arm to wave to a friend across the street and the bat wings were jiggling like no ones business. I have another 116 pounds to drop so I know already arm surgery is #1 for me. I have already started to save money for this surgery. I put $20 away each week and I am asking my husband to just give me a few dollars for my bithday, anniversary and upcoming holidays to be put towards my arm lift. I have heard there are several different types of arm lifts one is a big scar from your arm pit and the other is a smaller scar around your arm pit area. Have any of you had the one with just the smaller scar? I just want the excess skin removed so I can wear short sleeves or sleeveless tops. Thank you.
  • annwyatt69
    annwyatt69 Posts: 727 Member
    Options
    At 9 months out from RNY, I have lost 100% of my excess weight--hit the "healthy" range at 7 months post op. I still want to drop about 12 more pounds to be in the lower end of "healthy," as I am a type I diabetic on an insulin pump. My problem is not knowing what is still "fat" and what is actually skin. My surgeon seems to think it's mostly skin, and we've already talked about the fact that my insurance absolutely won't pay for any cosmetic surgery and that we'd be looking at $16,000+ to have any work done. How can I tell what is still fat and what is actually skin? How do I know? And when do I know that enough is enough where the weight loss is concerned? I see so many people who have had wls reach a size 2 or 4 and, though I was that size when I was younger, I just don't see the possibility of getting that small without some kind of surgery. ???
  • JoelleAnn78
    JoelleAnn78 Posts: 1,492 Member
    Options
    Caution: TMI

I have maintained a 200+ pound loss for three years (minus that pesky pregnancy where I gained some weight... :laugh: ) and I have considerable arm, thigh and belly saggies. The major problem is really the area where my thighs, belly and crotch come together. I can see where the removal of the belly skin would help immensely with the itchies and sores. All the exercising in the summer leads to chafing and much soreness :sad:

The large pad of tissue above my crotch doesn't seem to do anything but hang out there. It hasn't gotten smaller as I have shrunk and now it just sticks out like a fat pad....... which is what it is. LOL Does anyone have thoughts on how to remedy this?! Random, I know....
  • spfldpam
    spfldpam Posts: 738 Member
    Options
    Plastic surgery prices: This is the list of prices for the procedures at the Bari Plastics program in my town if you are a WLS patient and have been referred to that program
    Bilateral Mastopexy (2 breast lifts) $6692
    Bilateral Agumentation Mammoplasty/Mastopexy with implants $12,098
    Bilateral Augmentation Mamoplasty with implants $6566
    Barchioplasty (Bilateral Arms) $6232
    Body Contouring:
    Abdomnioplasty: $8052
    Thigh lift: $6892
    Hip/buttock lift: $6292

Mini face lift $6327
    Full face lift $9389

The above prices are estimates and could change. The price includes the surgery fees for the surgeon, anesthesia and hospital charges (including 23 hour observation stay if needed). If a hospital stay is longer than 23 hours there is an additional $450 charge per night for this. What do you think of these prices? I know you can get it done cheaper in Mexcio doing medical tourism but that stuff kinda scares me. This program is familar with WLS people and their skin and are experienced at working with them on plastic surgery.

I added up if had my upper arms, boobs, tummy, upper thighs and hip/butt done and it would cost me $34,034! UGH! They will combine procedures up to 2 as long as you arent' knocked out for longer than 7 hours also. I would be self pay as my insurance wouldn't pay for any plastics. I have to get a hernia repaired that they found along with the hital hernia they did repair when they did my sleeve so I would have the hernia repaired too if I did have any plastics done. This might save me some $, maybe!
  • annwyatt69
    Options
    Major OUCH on those prices! I still can't tell what is skin and what is fat in the arm and abdominal region. I can tell what is loose skin on the thigh area, though. I have some wrinkly skin above the waistline, but I think most of the abdominal area is still fat. My arms are shaping up some through strength training and weight loss and aren't quite as flabby as before, but could still use work. The problem area that I think needs to be done is on the "girls." A lift would be good, but I could care less about implants. Just a little nip to give them a bit of a "lift" again. I ain't old enough yet for this kind of gravity!
  • Laura8603
    Laura8603 Posts: 590 Member
    Options
    Residency programs are often about half the cost. Look in your area for programs. I know here in Houston the Baylor residency program gets rave reviews.
  • spfldpam
    Options
    Residency programs are often about half the cost. Look in your area for programs. I know here in Houston the Baylor residency program gets rave reviews.

We do have Southern IL School of Medicine here in town. I will look into that. I assume the residence are supervised during the actual surgery!?!?!
  • annwyatt69
    Options

Thanks! I'll see if my surgeon can get me info on that. If not, I'll check into it myself. I was told that Galveston burn unit does skin removal at very small cost if you want to donate it to the burn unit there. Donating the skin would be a great idea.
  • spfldpam
    Options
    hmmmm, I will have to look into that around in my area too and see if there is that option. I don't know if we have a burn unit near by but it is worth checking into!!

Thanks! I'll see if my surgeon can get me info on that. If not, I'll check into it myself. I was told that Galveston burn unit does skin removal at very small cost if you want to donate it to the burn unit there. Donating the skin would be a great idea.
  • spfldpam
    Options
    Here are my notes I took from my Plastic surgery consult appointment yesterday. Sorry it's long but I had alot of quesitons!

Plastic Surgeon Consultation 7/29/13 3-4:15pm

Plastic surgery prices: This is the list of prices for the procedures at the Bari Plastics program in my town if you are a WLS patient and have been referred to that program
    Bilateral Augmentation Mammoplasty/Mastopexy with implants $12,098
    Body Contouring:
    Abdomnioplasty: $8052
    Thigh lift: $6892
    Hip/buttock lift: $6292
    Mini face lift $6327
    Full face lift $9389
    The price includes the surgery fees for the surgeon, anesthesia and hospital charges (including 23 hour observation stay if needed). If a hospital stay is longer than 23 hours there is an additional $450 charge per night for this.

How many times have you done plastic surgery on former WLS patients?-10-15 people a year
    How many years?-11 plus years

Ask to see before/after pics of patients of my size/frame that lost the amount of weight I have to see results?
    Go to Springfield Clinic of Plastic Surgery to see pics.

How long should I wait till I have first procedure? 12-18 months after reaching my personal weight loss goal since weight/fat move around still that long after reaching my goal?
    As long as I am at my weight I am happy with and have maintained that weight for 3 months plastic surgery can be done now.

Does abdominoplasty include paniculumectomy?-Yes

Panniculectomy vs tummy tuck vs. fleur de lis Tummy Tuck what is the difference and do they offer all these here?-Yes all offered here but tummy tuck or fleur de lis Tummy Tuck would be best for me. Dr. thinks the fleur de lis might be done for better results. Might do a circumferential tummy lift.

What is the difference between a Bilateral Mastopexy (2 breast lifts) $6692 Just a lift
    Bilateral Agumentation Mammoplasty/Mastopexy with implants $12,098 Lift with Implants
    Bilateral Augmentation Mamoplasty with implants $6566 Implants only, no lift
    He thinks I need both, would do lift first and later do the implants.

Complications and rate of complications?-Not a smooth incision line when healed, Unfavorable scaring, fluid collection, wound opening up, dog ears-These don’t happen a lot but can happen. It won’t be perfect, they try to make it look perfect but there will still be unsmooth lines with the scaring.

Proposed results? Where would incisions be on these procedures?-upper arm-This could be done in combo first surgery since it bothers me the most. Incision would be in inner arm. Would be able to take all loose skin off from under armpit to right at elbow area.

Boobs-This could be done with upper arm surgery in combo surgery. Would just do a breast lift now and do implants later. Incision might be above breast or at nipple and down the center of breast.
    Tummy- fleur de lis Tummy Tuck might be best for me or he could do just tummy tuck but would make sure to tighten up ab muscles under tummy or he might do a circumferential tummy lift. Part of surgery combo 2 with hip butt lift. If does a circumferential tummy lift would also lift upper back area too. Incision would be on bikini line and possible an incision up and down too if fleur de lis was done.
    hip/butt-Butt would still be flat but wouldn’t be wrinkled would be done with surgery combo with tummy surgery. This would also help with loose skin around lower back area by waist line also. Incision would be along waist line.
    upper thighs-Incision would be at leg line would be part of surgery combo 3 with breast implant surgery.
    Implants-Would be done separately from breast lift and part of surgery combo 3 with upper thigh surgery. Incision would be along nipple and down center of breast

Will you need liposuction in addition to the skin tightening? Surgeon didn’t think it would help me any so no lipo would be done. It usually doesn’t last that long is why he doesn’t see at as doing it on me.

Drains how many/how long in?
    upper arms-2 in each arm/1-2 weeks left in
    boobs-no drains for lift or implant surgeries
    tummy-2 drains/1-2 weeks left in
    upper thighs-2 drains in each leg/1-2 weeks left in
    hip/butt-Forgot to ask but probably 2 drains and left in 1-2 weeks

Recovery time? I have a desk job how much time would I have to take off for diff procedures?
    Boobs, tummy, upper thighs, hip/butt-Since I have a desk job probably 2 ½ weeks. Have surgery on a Wed and then go back to work in 2 ½ weeks.

Is a pain ball an option for post-op pain? No not usually with his practice or at Memorial Hospital

How many lbs of skin does he think he can remove?-Not as much as you would think, maybe a total of 5 pounds if all procedures were done. Tummy 3 lbs, Back 1 lb, arms 2 lbs, just estimation.

Does he recommend compression garments? If so, do they provide them to you in cost work up or do you have to pay for them? Special wraps/binders/Vest/sleeves are given to the person after surgery is done and you were those home and keep wearing them and are part of the cost work out. Eventually he would send me to Macy to buy Spanx or that type of compression garments to wear for 6-8 weeks after different areas of surgery that I would have to purchase on my own.
    Very important question is to ask about revisions. Sometimes things don't go as planned and you may need a revision-ask if it's covered by him/her or if you'll have to pay. What if I lose weight after Plastics will revision need to be done? How often do revisions occur with your patients? If revision is done he usually will do it when he is doing another combo surgery of mine. Sometimes an additional cost but it depends. Revisions sometimes happen. Depends on the person and their skin and how it heals up.

Lifting restrictions/working out restrictions, how long?-6-8 weeks for most surgeries. Walking can begin right away but weight lifting and stuff like that has to wait till 8 weeks. Water exercise could start in 3 weeks depending on the activity level.
    I have a hernia that needs repaired could this be done at same time and save money if my insurance would pay for that part of it?-Yes it could either Hammer/Icazza could do it or even he could do it when the tummy area is worked on.

How do they go about that with the bill? -My insurance would be billed surgeons time on the bill that would go to my insurance co.

Does your office take care credit?-No
    financing options?-At this time, none but they are working on some. He doesn’t know what Memorial Bari Plastics programs offers for financing options so I would need to call them to see if they have any.

Is excess skin donated to Memorial Burn Unit? Discounted cost for this?-No, they use cadaver skin. No most hospitals don’t do this anymore. No discounts either.

23 hour observation stay also included in cost so do you usually go in and stay overnight or come in early in the morning have surgery and leave that night?-The observation stay time doesn’t start till after the surgery has occurred and you are admitted to the hospital

Can your office check to see if my insurance would cover any plastic procedures? I have tried to look it up but gotten no luck since it’s a new insurance is why I ask. -In his experience, most if not all insurance companies will not cover these procedures I am thinking about because it is cosmetic type surgery with no medical advantage to having them done.

Lab work, EKG, Chest xray are all include in Memorial Bari Plastics Quotes also so price is all inclusive unless have to stay longer in hospital.

Complications and costs-many times they have been able to get the person health insurance to pay for the cost of bills if complications. He said to not quote him on this but usually they can get insurance to pay for this.

Surgery 1:
    Estimated cost total $12,924

Surgery 2:
    Abdomnioplasty $8052
    Hip/buttock lift $6292
    Estimated cost total $14,344

Surgery 3:
    Thigh lift $6892
    Estimated cost total $13,458

Total cost of all surgeries $40,726

Right now I am waiting to hear from the Bari Plastics group to get the "firm" prices since these are just estimates. Last night I got to thinking and was thinking of having my upper arms done and tummy done first. Those two areas bother me the most so if I only had one combo surgery that would be it, if they would combo those two areas.
    Has anyone had upper arms and tummy done at same time?
  • AZDee
    AZDee Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    The first thing I did was get rid of the bat wings too, lower face/neck lift, breast lift/implant all done together. This fall is the lower body lift and thigh lift....
  • AZDee
    Options
    I so agree they are 1000 times better now, no big deal a faded scar...
  • cspinelli712
    Options
    I am almost a year out from surgery and I can tell you that after losing 111 pounds I need my arms done. They really have turned into bat wings for sure. I should also have a tummy tuck done but I am really afraid and as long as there are spanks I will keep a tummy tuck on the back burner. I really need the arm surgery first, I live in Florida and everything here is short sleeved or sleeveless. The humidity here in the summer is so high that a 3/4 sleeve is just too hot to wear. Has anyone just had a arm lift without a breast lift? If you have can you please share with me what the cost was. thank you
  • spfldpam
    Options
    Well for me my health insurance won't pay for any type of skin removal so its self pay and unless I win the lottery it won't be getting done anytime soon! I don't even play the lottery either! I think my bat wings aren't as bad now due to workouts but maybe I am just getting used to the flabby skin now!
    I am scared of the pain and drains too so not in any hurry to have it done.
    Maybe someday!
  • pawoodhull
    pawoodhull Posts: 1,759 Member
    Options
    When I had my surgery 2.5 years ago, my surgeon didn't fix my 2 hernias (one above and one below the waist). He said they weren't a problem and he left them so that when I was done losing, fixing them would create an automatic tummy tuck and be covered by insurance. Now that I'm 154 down (and still working to lose the rest) my upper arms and thighs are horrible. I want badly to get these done as they are already causing clothing issues. I am down to a size 16 or 18, but only if there is some stretch in the fabric. If there's no stretch, the upper arms and the thighs don't fit. And for the pants, if I want the waist to fit well, they have to be a wide leg pant to accomodate all the excess thigh skin. This doesn't even count what my arms and legs look like! No short sleeve let alone sleevless anything and capri's is the shortest I go in pants.

I'm 58 this summer, so I'm not looking to have a beach body, but I would like to look "normal". And huge upper arms and thighs when the rest of me is a size 16 does not look normal. It's hugly disproportionet. I know the arms and legs will be on my dime and with the husband losing his job in 2012 and now working at 1/2 of what he did make, I may just have to learn to live with it. My neck has a bit of a waddle going and there's some loose skin on my face, but again, I'm almost 58, so I can expect to look older, I am older! :laugh:
  • cspinelli712
    Options
    I have already lost 111 pounds and need to drop another 60. I see alrady that I need surgery for my arms; can anyone tell me how much does an arm lift cost?
    Thank you,
  • AZDee
    Options
    6 weeks out today from having my lower body lift, and a medial thigh lift, could not be happier....So far I have had a lower face/neck lift, arm lift and breast lift/implant, that was last year and now the LBL....You only live once so I say go for it and make your body the best it can be...We worked hard to get the weight off, we should be rewarded with a great looking body at any age...In order to find a great surgeon so deals with weight loss clients most likely you will need to travel, no big deal, I did. I flew to San Diego and was picked up and stayed 7 days after surgery for recovery. This last time I even traveled along, it was my big adventure!!! My surgeon not only is a board certified Plastic Surgeon, but also has a specialty in Micro-surgery, so his incisions and sewing are simply flawless...I now have a pencil thing scar, I could not be happier. And his prices are very reasonable. If you want any info please just message me, I would be more than happy to answer any questions