Tips and Tricks

Options

Replies

• tecallahan
    tecallahan Posts: 732 Member
    Options
    Ok, so just started taking the Vit D suppliments 3 weeks ago.....what time of day do you find better? I take them in the morning.....but also I tried looking for natural calm in trader joe's but didn't see it and i have the whole constipation issue, any other suggestions on how to fix it? I hate that I go one week losing .5lbs and than don't lose for 2weeks....so tired of it all

I take Vitamin D in the morning. I take my thyroid med sort of in the middle of the night when I wake up at like 4am!
    You can get Natural Calm at Whole Foods - or you can order it online from Amazon.com
  • Cindym82
    Cindym82 Posts: 1,245 Member
    Options
    i'll have to look it up on amazon cause i'm not sure we have a whole foods close....
  • Farfelue
    Farfelue Posts: 63
    Options
    This is one fantastic thread!

I am ashimoto too and have been on meds for 8 years. Didn't know about the calcium.
    I just can't eat in the morning, it's just coffee or hot chocolate. BUT, I use Oat milk (with added calcium, 120mg per 100ml, 15% of RDA). I have about 200ml of it one hour after I've taken Cytomel and Levothyroxine.

Is it a bad move?

What's for breakfast then? No tea (milk), no juice (IBS reaction to most fruits and too high in sugars), can't do coconut either (IBS).
    Crap! Any ideas? Or I could have nothing and simply wait till 11am to have a coffee with oatmilk... sigh...
    Ama
  • awdamm
    awdamm Posts: 375 Member
    Options
    This is one fantastic thread!

I am ashimoto too and have been on meds for 8 years. Didn't know about the calcium.
    I just can't eat in the morning, it's just coffee or hot chocolate. BUT, I use Oat milk (with added calcium, 120mg per 100ml, 15% of RDA). I have about 200ml of it one hour after I've taken Cytomel and Levothyroxine.

Is it a bad move?

What's for breakfast then? No tea (milk), no juice (IBS reaction to most fruits and too high in sugars), can't do coconut either (IBS).
    Crap! Any ideas? Or I could have nothing and simply wait till 11am to have a coffee with oatmilk... sigh...
    Ama

granola, oatmeal, egg whites, toast, crackers, chicken... just because its "breakfast" doesn't mean you can only eat "breakfast type" foods. I work midnights so I just eat whatever "meal food" i feel like. Scrambled eggs at 3am isn't all that strange to me. nor is cereal at noon! :D
  • samanthateal
    Options
    Yes it does show up in your blood work. I thought I was doing a good thing by taking a multi vitamin every morning. When I had my blood work checked it was as though I wasn't taking the synthroid at all. Come to find out it was because of the Calcium in the multi vitamin...
  • Farfelue
    Options
    LOL I get it now!!!! -had to google it first!!! - OATMEAL is PORRIDGE ahahahahahha!

Right, got you.
    But.... yuk yuk yuk! Porridge is horrible made with water!! It needs full fat milk and maple syrup! :wink:

I'm not helping. I know.
  • incendia3
    incendia3 Posts: 57 Member
    Options

granola, oatmeal, egg whites, toast, crackers, chicken... just because its "breakfast" doesn't mean you can only eat "breakfast type" foods. I work midnights so I just eat whatever "meal food" i feel like. Scrambled eggs at 3am isn't all that strange to me. nor is cereal at noon! :D

Let's be honest now...Nothing is all that strange for you :tongue:
  • Farfelue
    Options
    Eureka! I've found that Oatmilk ORGANIC doesn't contain the added calcium! yeepee, can still have my coffee at 8am!!!
  • ginnylee74
    ginnylee74 Posts: 398 Member
    Options
    I stay away from soy. As advised, I take my medication 30 mins to 1 hr prior to eating with a full glass of water and I have increased my protein.

I used to take a Protein Bar with me if I had to go to town and eat for lunch or whatever ....... I noticed that most protein bars have soy in them. So now I take a hard boiled egg and apple or a piece of chicken with maybe a sliced apple or banana. Easy to eat and is healthy. If I feel I need something crunchy I will take a few gluten free crackers. (Peel the egg first.)
  • sollyn
    sollyn Posts: 179
    Options
    WOW! What am I going to do if I can't have my cereal with milk for breakfast?
    Since joining this group I have learned so much. I understand now not having calcium. SOOOO any suggestions for a quick breakfast for a mother of 3 that works full time?

Have your meds by your bed and take as soon as the alarm goes off. Then by the time you have showered and raised the kids etc you will be fine for taking breakfast as normal.
  • sollyn
    Options
    I stay away from soy. As advised, I take my medication 30 mins to 1 hr prior to eating with a full glass of water and I have increased my protein.

I used to take a Protein Bar with me if I had to go to town and eat for lunch or whatever ....... I noticed that most protein bars have soy in them. So now I take a hard boiled egg and apple or a piece of chicken with maybe a sliced apple or banana. Easy to eat and is healthy. If I feel I need something crunchy I will take a few gluten free crackers. (Peel the egg first.)
    If you dont peel the egg you get the crunch! lol:laugh:
  • tina990
    tina990 Posts: 18
    Options
    Hi. I'm new to this topic. Just noticed it was here and so glad I found it. I was aware of being careful about calcium but not sure I knew about the other things. I'll definitely be doing some research. Thanks for all the great info.
  • iqnas
    iqnas Posts: 445 Member
    Options
    Wow...my doctor had definitely not informed me of the calcium rule! I will be waiting at least an hour before I eat breakfast now! :)
  • Farfelue
    Options
    You cracked me up with "peel egg first" :laugh:
  • awdamm
    awdamm Posts: 375 Member
    Options
    [/quote]

[/quote]

Let's be honest now...Nothing is all that strange for you :tongue:
    [/quote]

very true! :D
  • slimjelly
    slimjelly Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I take my pills at night just before I sleep.
  • sollyn
    Options
    All of my medication says to wait for 60 minutes before eating. I had no idea that I shouldn't be having calcium. I get up at 4:30 .. take my medication, start exercising at about 4:45 and have a cup of decaf coffee (i can't give up my coffee, but switched to decaf) with milk at about 6:30 every morning. Could this be hindering my weight loss?

Me too! I have coffee with skim milk every morning about one to two hours after taking meds. I never knew of any diet restrictions with my levothyroxine! I've had three doctors over the course of ten years who never indicated any restrictions.
    Now I'm reading about restrictions on soy, calcium, green tea and carbs!!!
    I'm so frustrated. I work out 5to 6 days a week on the mfp 1200 calorie allowance. I can lose .5 to 1 lb a week if I'm lucky. But then I can gain a pound overnight.
    Any suggestions????

If you are losing .5 - 1 pound a week you are doing great! I also workout 5-6 times a week, eat 1200 calories and been the same weight since 1/8/12. 6 weeks going up and down by 1/2 pound or so. The one thing I can't do is stop -- or for sure I will gain weight.

Sometimes, you just need to adjust your ratios of Carb/fat/protein and you can see the scale move a little. Like reduce your carbs and increase your fat a little.

Also, be sure to take your measurements - improvement might be in a smaller waist or hips.
    I didnt lose any for a week or two. but my measurements showed that my shape had changed. So the measuring is definitely a good idea.
  • ginnylee74
    ginnylee74 Posts: 398 Member
    Options
    Here's a recap -- some of us are more sensitive than others to these foods, but here's a general list of foods to avoid:
    - Anything with Soy
    - Anything with Calcium - (supplements, dairy) wait 4 hours before/after to take thyroid meds
    - Anything with Gluten - this is pretty much all grains except for rice and I think flax
    - Raw cruciferous veggies - broccoli, spinach, cauliflower, brussell sprouts, cabbage, kale, etc. -- they cause goiters!
    - steaming these veggies removes the harmful goiter stuff
    - - Strawberries and peaches -- they are goitogenic (can cause goiters)
    - Watch out for high iodine foods -- we get enough in our food usually, but kelp supplements and eating a lot of seafood can take the iodine too high, which can throw you into hyperthyroidism.

I pretty much eat natural and organic foods. I have eliminated almost all packaged foods... definitely limits what you can eat, but we sure don't need the antibiotics and hormones that are in most meat and the pesticides on veggies/fruit.

Read up about the "Dirty Dozen" (google it!) These are the 12 foods that are known to have the highest levels of pesticides, etc. Buy organic on these to avoid the addititves.

Well,I read the dirty dozen. Between the Thyroid and pesticides, I guess I will stop eating.:sad: When I stopped smoking it was so easy. I wasn't a heavy smoker but I decided that it would be a good idea if I stopped. So I did.

Now eating??????? That's another matter. I try to buy organic on the vegies. Organic fruit isn't available at the supermarket's where I shop soooooo guess I start getting produce at Whole Foods. Pay a little more but you get what you pay for. Besides the organic last longer.

Thanks for the info Teri, It is so helpful. I'm serious. The info you post here is always right on.:drinker:

Ginny:flowerforyou:
  • GymAnJuice
    GymAnJuice Posts: 512 Member
    Options
    I was told (years ago) by my doctor NOT to take my tablets at night because it starts your body working and i wont sleep well? now to find a shop that sells coconut milk me thinks...thanks guys....so much info on here
  • mbkrol
    mbkrol Posts: 21
    Options
    I have been on the meds for only 4 months. I wait about 20 min. also (per doctor) but you said no calicum for 4 hrs. what about the skim milk I put in my coffee? If I have to wait 4 hours for coffee, I may die...lol...I only use about a tsp in each cup, but I have 2 so thats 2 tsps. am I doomed? Help!