Tips & Tricks

Options

Replies

• Sweet13_Princess
    Sweet13_Princess Posts: 1,207 Member
    Options
    I'm up to 15 minutes, 2.5 incline, but I can't keep the speed up! I keep alternating between 4, 3.5, and 3.0 mph. How can I increase my endurance? I'm dying by the time the 15 minutes are up, and I really should be moving to the 20 minute mark now. :-(

Shannon
  • Just_Ceci
    Just_Ceci Posts: 5,926 Member
    Options
    I'm up to 15 minutes, 2.5 incline, but I can't keep the speed up! I keep alternating between 4, 3.5, and 3.0 mph. How can I increase my endurance? I'm dying by the time the 15 minutes are up, and I really should be moving to the 20 minute mark now. :-(

Shannon

Slow down. You should be able to talk or sing while you are running.
  • Sweet13_Princess
    Options
    Ceci - Do you think I'm pushing myself too fast? I usually only bump myself up by incline OR by distance once a week. I haven't been focusing as much on speed. Is there a better balance? My main goal is to NOT come in last in the 5K I signed up for next month.

Shannon
  • d_thomas02
    d_thomas02 Posts: 9,048 Member
    Options
    @Sweet13_Princess,

Been following this thread for a bit. Shannon, if your main goal is to not come in last, I'm not sure why you're pushing the incline so much. Unless the 5K is a run up Pikes Peak, no need for more than 1% incline on a treadmill. If you wish to simulate hills, bump it to 2.5 or 3% for 30 seconds to a minute before bring it back down to 1%.

Go for distance, with the occasional hill for the challenge.

If you're not, I would suggest you get off the treadmill once a week and get a real outdoor run in.

David
  • Just_Ceci
    Just_Ceci Posts: 5,926 Member
    Options
    Ceci - Do you think I'm pushing myself too fast? I usually only bump myself up by incline OR by distance once a week. I haven't been focusing as much on speed. Is there a better balance? My main goal is to NOT come in last in the 5K I signed up for next month.

Shannon

Have you been using any kind of plan that increases your time running each week? I'm with David on the incline, although I don't run on a treadmill. I would work on increasing the distance, not the incline. As you increase your distance, you might have to slow down even more to be able to complete runs. Speed will come later, after you have built up endurance.
  • caseypcarlin
    caseypcarlin Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    LorinaLynn wrote: »
    I agree with everything already said, plus... get outside as much as possible. It's so much more enjoyable - even when it's cold, wet and miserable - to breath fresh, moving air than to swelter on a treadmill.

And running with someone is even better. :heart:

I have just finished week three, and am enjoying the program as it gives me direction I don't inherently have. As far as outdoors, I can't seem to do the same things I'm doing on the treadmill without horrible lung pain. That's a huge deterrent for me.

• d_thomas02
    d_thomas02 Posts: 9,048 Member
    Options
    LorinaLynn wrote: »
    I agree with everything already said, plus... get outside as much as possible. It's so much more enjoyable - even when it's cold, wet and miserable - to breath fresh, moving air than to swelter on a treadmill.

And running with someone is even better. :heart:

I have just finished week three, and am enjoying the program as it gives me direction I don't inherently have. As far as outdoors, I can't seem to do the same things I'm doing on the treadmill without horrible lung pain. That's a huge deterrent for me.

I have to agree. While I enjoy hiking the outdoors, I run on a treadmill. A small fan keeps the air moving and I don't have to worry (as much) about rolling a ankle or twisting a knee. Or traffic, dogs, wasps, allergies, ...
  • daisyg171
    daisyg171 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I just started C25K last week and an enjoying it, anyone any tips on controlling breathing whilst running, thanks
  • Sweet13_Princess
    Options
    Just getting the chance to check back in here. I was surprised by your suggestion to cut back on the incline. Most of our 5Ks have some sort of hill in them because we live in a mountainous region, so I thought inclines of 2-3 would mimic them. I didn't know I was being too drastic with it, particularly because my machine goes up to 10! I can't even imagine trying to run that.*LOL* I'm going to do that and see how it goes.

Shannon
  • CherieQ72
    CherieQ72 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    daisyg171 wrote: »
    I just started C25K last week and an enjoying it, anyone any tips on controlling breathing whilst running, thanks

If you're having troubles controlling breathing then you're likely running too fast. Slooowww and Steady :) Aside from that, you can get more air in if you breath with your belly instead of your chest ie as you breath in your belly goes out then as you breath out you pull your belly button in to your spine. all the while keeping your mouth slightly open ;)
  • sdogg626
    sdogg626 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    I have started and re-started C25k a few times and this time is the furthest I have made it! I am in week 5 so I decided to check out the groups, I am a long time reader, infrequent poster. The best tip I have seen is to go SLOW! I have come to realize that my previous failures were because I was trying to look like a "real" runner (lol) and going too fast! I was also self conscious that people driving by were thinking "pick up the pace fatty!" Now that I have seen the error of my ways and slowed down, it has become much easier! And as far as what people think, I have re-trained my brain to use it as motivation! If they are judging (which they probably are not, lol), then I will keep going so they eventually see a thinner, faster runner!! Tomorrow is W5D3 but I may go back and start the week over because 20 mins is very intimidating. Day 1 was a piece of cake, day 2 was very difficult and I am really in no hurry to finish, slow and steady baby!!
  • juliet3455
    juliet3455 Posts: 3,015 Member
    Options
    @sdogg626 Great Job in recognizing that you needed to slow down and serious KUDO's for not being afraid to re-cycle training weeks. I have looked at various Training plans for 10km, Half Marathon and Marathon distances and a common theme is to slowly build up the Time/Distance and then do a cutback. The Cutback seems to be designed to let the body heal/recover and absorb the maximum benefit from the Training.
    So repeating a week should give you the same benefit.
  • jennypapage
    jennypapage Posts: 489 Member
    Options
    sdogg626 wrote: »
    I have started and re-started C25k a few times and this time is the furthest I have made it! I am in week 5 so I decided to check out the groups, I am a long time reader, infrequent poster. The best tip I have seen is to go SLOW! I have come to realize that my previous failures were because I was trying to look like a "real" runner (lol) and going too fast! I was also self conscious that people driving by were thinking "pick up the pace fatty!" Now that I have seen the error of my ways and slowed down, it has become much easier! And as far as what people think, I have re-trained my brain to use it as motivation! If they are judging (which they probably are not, lol), then I will keep going so they eventually see a thinner, faster runner!! Tomorrow is W5D3 but I may go back and start the week over because 20 mins is very intimidating. Day 1 was a piece of cake, day 2 was very difficult and I am really in no hurry to finish, slow and steady baby!!

don't be afraid to try w5d3. you might surpsrise yourself just like i surpsrised myself.i thought that no way could i run for so long without a break. I did it the 1st time i tried! Go really slow and focus on your breathing.Music helps too.
  • niblue
    niblue Posts: 339 Member
    Options
    The key to W5D3 for me was to slow down. I did a couple of practice runs outside of the C25K programme to see what pace I could sustain so by the time W5D3 came along it wasn't a problem at all - in fact I ended up extending the 20 minute run to 30 minutes at a nice easy 7:30-7:45 minute/km pace. I'd started C25K trying to do the running bits at around 6 minute/km pace and it was no surprise to find I was getting tired quickly!
  • appaflop
    appaflop Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I've just started training for a 5k, and this list is so helpful to a beginner like me. Thanks!!
  • mytwodarlings
    mytwodarlings Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I am going to start and these tips will be helpful, I'm sure. Here goes!!! :D
  • MommaWinski
    MommaWinski Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Love all this great tips. Thank you I started the C5K W1D1 last night. I couldn't run for the full 60 seconds and only made it about halfway through the workout. I have to take tonight off but I am going to do it again. This time I'm not running so much as jogging. I am hopeful I can complete a workout ( or die trying lol ). Feeling Determined. I will also do the stretches which I have not been doing because I have been walking fast but my legs are tight so I know I need to do them. Side note to self I need to find better shoes I love the ones I have but they are cheap and I dont think they are going to last long. Thin soles so I feel all the rocks too. :)
  • rsamuelsgold
    rsamuelsgold Posts: 391 Member
    Options
    cmon288 wrote: »
    Don't rob your body's ability to shock you. Yes, the next week looks scary. Try it. I am shocked every week. I remember when 60 secs was the longest thing ever. Now 15 mins are gone before I realize it. Here are some of my tips/thoughts:

1. Outdoors: If you must use the treadmil do it, but running outdoors can help DISTRACT you from the fact that you're running ( I would much rather like to get to that tree than watch the timer on the treadmil, but it's up to you)
    2. Music: if you don't have the app (like me<--phone doesn't have it) you need to put music on your phone or mp3 player. It allows you to escape (again distractions)
    3. Don't over do it: (YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED) I was moving through my program on track until I decide I should put in some over time before Thanksgiving. I ran for almost 2 hours. Of course, I got injured. My knees ached so badly. I ended up taking a week off to recover and last week I couldn't get back into it. I'm no expert, but I wouldn't suggest you do more than 45mins of jogging in a day.
    4. Rest (No, I said REST!!) Rest: the stopping of work or activity . Please take rest days! -_-
    5. Sign up for a 5k - motivation www.runningintheusa.com
    6. Get friends involved if you can <--I couldn't, but maybe you'll have better luck
    7. Conversational jog - take it easy. You should be able to hold a conversation while jogging when you first begin this program. Of course you're going to try to increase your speed, but try to wait until you're towards the end of the program (pace yourself)
    8. Don't let Week 5 Day 3 scare you. It's nothing at this point. You'll see! YOU CAN DO IT! Keep it moving. (You should definitely have music on this day. You'll need to stay out of your head.)

Thank you.
  • vinit33pratap
    vinit33pratap Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    Can I do Strength/Resistance training and C25K in alternative days?
  • shanitilly
    shanitilly Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    So I got the app. It says to run 3 times in week one. Is every week three days? Do they have to be spaced a certain way?