Tips & Tricks

Options

Replies

• allison0820
    allison0820 Posts: 325 Member
    Options
    I have to be honest.. I did not read through all the tips and tricks here.. but I discovered a trick that works for me and wanted to share it.. hope it helps someone like it did me...

I have the app on my phone and listen to it of course to do the daily workout... when I did the program before I would always check to see what that day would bring.. that then brought on the dreaded mental block.. OMG I have to run 8 mins today... This time around I decided NOT to read the workout or know what the workout is ahead of time.. I just open the app and then drop it off my screen and listen to music... It really seemed to help me this today...
  • keboraw
    keboraw Posts: 2
    Options
    I just started the program and is slowly getting into the gist of it. I didn't do every day of the week and I felt like crap for this. However, I did see a post that I don't have to so that makes me feel better. This is more of a question for everyone in the group! How do I know if I am "jogging/running" correctly? I feel like I alternate....one time I feel more flat footed/heel toe and this is when my shins start burning then hurting...the other time I run kinda on my tippy toes( This is easier on my shins and I feel better this way). Which is the correct way?
  • amirakabira
    amirakabira Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    I have to be honest.. I did not read through all the tips and tricks here.. but I discovered a trick that works for me and wanted to share it.. hope it helps someone like it did me...

I have the app on my phone and listen to it of course to do the daily workout... when I did the program before I would always check to see what that day would bring.. that then brought on the dreaded mental block.. OMG I have to run 8 mins today... This time around I decided NOT to read the workout or know what the workout is ahead of time.. I just open the app and then drop it off my screen and listen to music... It really seemed to help me this today...

I do the same thing! I do not have a clue what is in store when I head out. Works for me.
  • tennisgirl444
    tennisgirl444 Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    Just started my first day of C25K yesterday... how do you all deal with soreness between workouts? My quads and hamstrings are sore today and I'm a bit worried about running tomorrow AM.
  • AglaeaC
    AglaeaC Posts: 1,974 Member
    Options
    Just started my first day of C25K yesterday... how do you all deal with soreness between workouts? My quads and hamstrings are sore today and I'm a bit worried about running tomorrow AM.
    Firs of all welcome!

Second, join the daily thread, there's most activity there and posts like this one can sometimes fall through the cracks for a few days.

Third, a bit of soreness is expected, but nothing huge. See if you should slow down on your next run, that might help. People tend to try to run too quickly in the beginning, but you should be able to hold a conversation during your running intervals. Also you can do stretches afterwards (not before warming up, though!).
  • dan095541
    dan095541 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I'm on week 2. I find I'm having a tough time on the jogging part, The 2nd week has me running 90 seconds......... I'm making 75-80 seconds. I think it isn't a big issue. I have 2 more days on week 2.

Also on my in between days, I'm walking. Just walking. Is this a problem? Thanks for any help
  • FancyPantsFran
    FancyPantsFran Posts: 3,687 Member
    Options
    Embrace your accomplishments each week. Don't focus on upcoming week. I remember I was dreading running 20 minutes straight. I loaded up 5 of my favorite songs that were 4 minutes or longer. I knew if I could run until those songs were done my 20 minutes were up. Running is just as much mental as physical.
  • vikkiitoria
    vikkiitoria Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    Love this so much :)
    I am once again attempting C25K and very determined to finish this time!! Reading this is very motivating.
  • deannaaaaaaaaa
    deannaaaaaaaaa Posts: 238 Member
    Options
    Register for a 5K to give yourself a reason to continue once you finish the program.
    This is exactly what kept me going my first go-around. In fact, the race came along at about Week 5. No matter, I did the best I could and had a blast!

I just registered for a 5k during my week 6! glad to hear i didnt make a horrible mistake!
  • WideAgain
    WideAgain Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    Hi All

Decided to come 'snooping' at the groups whilst waiting in the car for hubby this morning but the option to snoop wasn't there without joining the group... Thank you for having me!

I've never been a runner and don't particularly enjoy it but do like a challenge!

About 3 years ago I did my first 5K - slow but steady!

Fast forward... I've put on about 14kg, have been eating C.R.A.P. and F2K has become my only exercise... (Fridge to Couch!)

I have an iPhone4 and have downloaded C25K Zenlab version.

Thinks I remember from last time round:
    1. I run better with music.
    2. The programme drinks my batter power so running at the end of a word day was hard.
    3. It was a slog!

Questions:
    1. Is this the best version to have given the phone I have?
    2. There is a music option on the App and I was hoping it would play something (don't really mind what) right from the start but it doesn't... Am I doing something wrong or is this not an option?

(Sorry - whilst snooping earlier I did find some threads I thought would help me answer these questions but can't find it now.)
  • DaveAkeman
    DaveAkeman Posts: 296 Member
    Options

I see this is an old post, so this is very unlikely to help the person who asked, but for the next person . . .

I tried lots of stuff to help with day-after soreness. Hot baths, epsom, etc. I found the thing that helped the most was to just keep moving. I work at a desk, and whenever I started getting sore, I would stand up and go walking . . . sometimes for half a mile or so, sometimes just to the coffee pot. Just keeping the muscles moving helped with the soreness more than anything.

And just because you are sore today, don't give up on your run tomorrow. Even if you are still a little sore BEFORE a run, you are likely not recover once you get your muscles stretched out and warmed up. Doesn't mean you won't be even more sore the day AFTER your next run, though . . . It's a vicious cycle. But it DOES get better. Or you learn to manage and enjoy it. (I'm honestly not sure which) Nowadays I'm not sore much (finished C25K several months ago), but when I am, I kinda enjoy it . . . it reminds me that I did a good job yesterday.
  • RunionX4
    RunionX4 Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    Thank you so much for all this awesome advice. I am only just now getting started on C25K and I mean just getting started. W1D1. I used to run back when I was in school but since getting married and having a kid I got out of it and now time for me to get back into it and with the advice you guys have given, it gives me the encouragement that I needed. Thanks again and good luck to all!!
  • AlciaMode
    AlciaMode Posts: 421 Member
    Options
    My biggest advice is stretch post run. Oh man. It will do you so much good.
  • earthnut
    earthnut Posts: 216 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    If the first week is too hard for you (I could barely do it and I got shin splints), do smaller intervals. IE 30 seconds jogging, 30 seconds walking. Or 10 seconds. Whatever you can do. You don't want to overdo it and get injured or discouraged. Every week add another 10 or 30 seconds.

It doesn't matter how fast you jog. When you first start, you may have to slow your jogging to the same speed that you walk. That's OK. The point is to get your feet off the ground, not how fast you're going.

Stretch to prevent injuries. Stretching out the calf muscles on the curb edge prevents shin splints. Stretch before you start jogging, but you can walk a bit first.

Don't keep jogging through shin splints. Walk instead, until you can jog without pain. Jog slower, in shorter intervals. Stretch beforehand. Listen to your body!
  • oldman298
    oldman298 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    kmfolkins wrote: »
    Hi I had started a bit of jogging last year but then I got married in November and have since put on about 15 pounds :-(. I am now about 209 lbs....do you think i'm too heavy to start running again???

I weigh 315 and have been using this program with no issues... I have been working also on core muscles as well which also helps with running...
  • kat00_ca
    kat00_ca Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    Don't be afraid to recycle a week if you've only done 1 or 2 runs that week particularly in the early stages. Your body will thank you.
  • Shurmenator
    Shurmenator Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    Hello Everyone! I'm just reading this thread as I thought it would be helpful as I move on to W4D1.

Couple tips I have that I got from a running coach, which may or may not be in this thread I apologize if it is a repeat:
    1. Concentrate on landing mid-foot, not on the ball or the heel. This will not only save your feet but also help control your pace. For me it also helps keep my mind busy.
    2. Keep your elbows close to your body and minimize your arm movement. This will lessen your effort and help with longer runs or marathons.

Hope this helps!
  • brb2008
    brb2008 Posts: 406 Member
    Options
    nikig7 wrote: »
    Hi I had started a bit of jogging last year but then I got married in November and have since put on about 15 pounds :-(. I am now about 209 lbs....do you think i'm too heavy to start running again???

You are literally never too heavy to run. I need to find out her name but there is a very largewoman I follow on tumblr who runs and finishes marathons, and she doesnt finish last. Physical ability may be compromised by size at large weights but not yours. Get that booty moving ;)
  • luluzulu85
    luluzulu85 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Train your brain! Kick the negative thoughts to the curb. When you start thinking about pain, exhaustion, wanting to stop, start thinking about your breath, the beautiful trees you're passing, etc. Distract your brain from the pain and your next thought will be "I DID IT!"
  • citylife624
    citylife624 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    I am currently on week 5 again because, after I did that dreaded 20 minute run, where I felt like Wonder Woman when I was done, I woke up the next day with the flu. Boo! My biggest tip: if you listen to music, play a motivating song at a point when you know you're going to need it. When I was doing the 8 minutes, I wanted to give up after 5 minutes into the second 8. Until "Too Legit to Quit" came on. I ran the rest of that 8 minutes like a boss. I also positioned it near the end of the 20 minute run. Now, I play it constantly for motivation when I'm running.