Tips & Tricks

Options

Replies

• kriggs1976
    Options
    Wow, reading all of these tips have helped. I am starting W1D1 today and am a bit worried...but I will take it easy and slow and I do have a great pair of running shoes :)
  • ChristopherFiss
    ChristopherFiss Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Just finished Week 1 with very positive results. I feel my pacing is good, and more importantly, I know I can start adding that extra 30 seconds when Week 2 comes around on Thursday (My weekend is weird...)

I have two critical tips for anyone just starting:

1) STRETCH. Don't just shake out your legs. Read the Stay Loose: Stretches for Runners guide posted on the C25K site.

http://www.coolrunning.com/engine/2/2_1/126.shtml

I spend about 10-15 minutes before starting doing ALL the stretches, then again afterwards, though if you are in a hurry it details the 6 that are critical and you can get away with doing in about 5 minutes.

2) SHOES. I went out and bought the first pair of actual running shoes I have ever owned in my life just before starting, and my feet couldn't be happier. Make sure the shoe fits well, protects your foot, but also doesn't do all the work for you. Get as close to bare feet as you can...or at least that's what has been recommended to me over and over again. So far, it seems to be solid advice.
  • starchile
    starchile Posts: 248 Member
    Options
    OK, I just completed the DREADED W5D3 workout and I have to add this to the list of tips (also, can't remember if someone else gave me this advice, I read it somewhere or I came up with it in my own little noggin!!)

YOUR BIGGEST OBSTACLE WILL BE YOUR OWN SELF DOUBT!!!!!!!!!!!

I TOoooooootttaaalllyyyyy psyched myself out and was scared to death of the 20 minute run...but once I started it, it was no problem at all and I completed it without any real issue. TA Daaaaa!!!!!

Oh, that leads me to the next tip (which seems all "AA" but it still holds true here)

TRUST IN THE PLAN!!!!

If you do the runs that lead up to your current workout you will be able to do it...refer to my first tip if you feel nervous about this!! LOL.

TO YOUR HEALTH!!!!

=)
  • flabulous4
    flabulous4 Posts: 599 Member
    Options
    Here's my biggest tip:

1) Make it as easy for yourself as you can. :glasses:

This breaks down into:
    - If you can, get an app which will tell you what to do and when, so you don't have to think about it. Pop some music on and try and forget your feet are moving.
    - Run outside if you can. Firstly, there's more distracting stuff to look at (i.e. not the numbers on the dreadmill). Secondly, you're a runner and they mostly run outside, so you might as well get used to it.
    - Don't worry about how fast you're going, or what distance you're covering. Just run for the number of minutes the program says.
    - If you walked for a few seconds on one of the runs, don't worry about it, that's probably close enough. Just put it aside and move on to the next run on schedule.

(Also important: 2) Get proper shoes fitted at a running store)

Finally - ENJOY! But watch out, running's very addictive!
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,248 Member
    Options
    If it genuinely HURTS, rest.

I was kind of lucky. My stress fracture only put me off running for about 5 weeks. As soon as it went from a dull ache to actual pain, I stopped running. When it kept hurting after a week of rest, I got it checked. Mentally, I wanted to keep running on it. I wanted to push through it. If I had, I'd have bunged it up even worse.
  • NicoleinCarolina
    NicoleinCarolina Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Good idea. I am on week 2 day 3 ..(for the second time) just becuase I am kinda nervous about the increased run time and dont want to fail. Thanks for sharing!
  • crysgemini
    Options
    bump
  • Stubbs_Girl
    Options
    I just started this program and just finished W1D2. W1D1 was soo easy, but today it was soo hard. Why is that?? I didn't change anything.. I thought it was supposed to get easier... :( I was out of breath like 18 minutes into it.. ugh
  • courtneymal17
    courtneymal17 Posts: 672 Member
    Options
    Register for a 5K to give yourself a reason to continue once you finish the program.
    This is exactly what kept me going my first go-around. In fact, the race came along at about Week 5. No matter, I did the best I could and had a blast!

lol I did the same! My 5k came after I was done with week THREE! I ended up walking a lot of it, but the point is I finished, got a medal, and FINISHED. Now I KNOW I can do it...just have to work my way up to actually running the entirety of one! Plus I have a medal hanging over my bed to push me to do better next time!

Here's some of mine:
    *SHOES--I know it's been said, but seriously, invest in a good pair of shoes. Yes, invest. Because a good pair will not only last longer than a crappy pair, but it will also keep you feeling better and keep you running in them longer. It's an investment, don't skimp if you don't have to.
    *Register for a 5k....even if you're not done with the program. In my case there was an awesome one in my city that sounded like it's always fun...so even though I would only be done with week 3 when it was held, I did it anyways. Just the drive to know you can complete a course is HUGE.
    *Keep your head in the game--One of my favorite quotes that I have to tell myself over and over and over when I run is "don't let your head give out before your legs do"...and I've found that SO many times when I see that timer and it's still got 3 minutes on it, I start freaking out...my chest suddenly hurts, my feet hurt my knees hurt and omg I just want to stop! A lot of times the 'pain' is mental. Unless something genuinely feels wrong, keep going. I've found that breaking up runs into smaller ones that I've already accomplished has helped a ton. My 3 minute runs because to 90 second ones...heck my 5 min ones from this week (just completed week 4) because 10 30 second runs....I know the time isn't different but it makes it easier to tackle when I break it down into runs I know I can finish. 5 minutes seems daunting, but 10 consecutive 30 second runs? that's a piece of cake! (well, not really, but my brain doesn't rebel so much lol!)
    *reward yourself for completing things--but not with food. Or at least not with the "hey ill have a big mac after I run cause I finished week x"...Friday was my last day of week 4, and the first 3 minute run I was just dead. I wanted to stop so badly. But I had been planning on going to the movies after, so I kept telling myself....do it for the movies, do it for the movies....stupid, I know, but I'm telling you? It totally pushed me through!
    *get excited about running....I'm the first to tell you I've never been a runner. Like, EVER. But researching different types of runs and all the fun crazy things I can get into during races? Now that inspires me! And the race bib/medal I have now are further inspirations. I'm actually going to run another race in about 2 weeks...I still won't be done with the program and honestly I'm fairly sure I'll have to walk a lot of that one (I'm doing a 4 miler!), but it's just so exciting being around a race atmosphere and stuff.

*oh, and the big one...when it comes to your first 5k...DONT FREAK OUT!!! Trust me, I did. I had a panic attack the morning of mine. I was practically in tears. Worse, I was doing it completely alone. I was SURE I was going to be the last person, sure I was going to have everyone laugh at me, sure I wasn't even going to finish...but I did, and I wasnt last. But even if I were? I still would have felt amazing completing it at all. So just give it your best....don't race against everyone else, race to push yourself farther!
  • wally1uk
    wally1uk Posts: 120
    Options
    Here's my biggest tip:

1) Make it as easy for yourself as you can. :glasses:

This breaks down into:
    - If you can, get an app which will tell you what to do and when, so you don't have to think about it. Pop some music on and try and forget your feet are moving.
    - Run outside if you can. Firstly, there's more distracting stuff to look at (i.e. not the numbers on the dreadmill). Secondly, you're a runner and they mostly run outside, so you might as well get used to it.
    - Don't worry about how fast you're going, or what distance you're covering. Just run for the number of minutes the program says.
    - If you walked for a few seconds on one of the runs, don't worry about it, that's probably close enough. Just put it aside and move on to the next run on schedule.

(Also important: 2) Get proper shoes fitted at a running store)

Finally - ENJOY! But watch out, running's very addictive!

Hahaha....'Dreadmill' I'm defo stealing that one!!!

My tip? Well, I'm just starting week 4 and the main thing that has helped me is good quality running shoes...makes everything much nicer!!...
  • 1213shell
    1213shell Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    I just finished W1D2 and had to laugh. The first day I heard the half-way done announcement and was anticipating it yesterday as well. I never got it and thought, "Man! I know the half-way point has got to be coming up soon???" Rather than be a watchpot, I continued on for a few and finally decided to check on the time...I had reached the cool-down. Pretty cool that I made it through further when I began to think I was almost half-way -- even after running up the hill that this particular track contains.
  • thomassd1969
    thomassd1969 Posts: 564 Member
    Options
    Ok any advice on how to get rid of extremly sore muscles in the legs. Uggg. I usually exercise 5 out of 7 days but not running. I just start couch to 5k and my legs are so sore its insane.
  • nikig7
    nikig7 Posts: 240 Member
    Options
    Hi I had started a bit of jogging last year but then I got married in November and have since put on about 15 pounds :-(. I am now about 209 lbs....do you think i'm too heavy to start running again???
  • kmfolkins
    kmfolkins Posts: 64
    Options
    Hi I had started a bit of jogging last year but then I got married in November and have since put on about 15 pounds :-(. I am now about 209 lbs....do you think i'm too heavy to start running again???

I am 224 and starting week 5. I haven't had any trouble
  • Char_marcus
    Char_marcus Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    Ok any advice on how to get rid of extremly sore muscles in the legs. Uggg. I usually exercise 5 out of 7 days but not running. I just start couch to 5k and my legs are so sore its insane.

all advice I have read so far point to cold baths and/ or ice packs on the sore muscles to help reduce the swelling and inflammations as warm baths make it worse, i know that from experience !!!
  • nikig7
    nikig7 Posts: 240 Member
    Options
    Ok thanks!
  • panthrg1rl
    panthrg1rl Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I weigh 238 pounds and I'm on week 2. So far so good! I recommend the best pair of running shoes you can afford. I think it's helped tremendously in protecting me from injury as well as absorbing the impact so that my knees/legs don't get sore. I also stretch before/after running and then do some yoga afterwards.

I give myself a mantra every time I run. I repeat it often to keep myself focused on my goal. Some mantras:
    "Harder, faster, stronger"
    "Don't rain on my parade" (ominous rain clouds present)
    "No excuses"
    "Even Canada can't stop this" (when I was running in Canada on vacation last Friday)

Between focusing on my mantras and my breathing, I usually pull through whatever temporary rut I'm in during my run. And that's the plus side... It's always temporary!!! You just have to stay positive.

This is a whole learning experience for me. I researched a training program when I decided to sign up for a 5K and am thrilled to have found C25K!!! I feel like I can succeed now that I have a plan. And with the plan finishing the week prior to the 5K, I'm staying focused and determined to do this!!!
  • cristenjo
    cristenjo Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    Take a warm bath with epsn salts. I have always found it to be helpful.
  • cristenjo
    cristenjo Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    Sorry- epson swlts
  • kellyjamespro
    kellyjamespro Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    I wish somebody would have told me about W5D3 before I started... Geesh.. I made it! about to complete week 6 day 2