Tips & Tricks

Options

Replies

• pattie317
    pattie317 Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    Ok. I just started on this site, and I keep reading about the program to follow. Can someone please tell me what program and help or tell me what to follow? To run a 5k has always been an aspiration for me but just never had the nerve or the physical ability. Thanks!
  • flabulous4
    flabulous4 Posts: 599 Member
    Options
    Couch to 5K, if you have a smartphone look in the app store for an app, it starts you off gently with 8 1-minute runs and in 9 weeks or s you should be able to run 5K. I used Get Running. Enjoy!
  • kfbayard
    kfbayard Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Here is the link to the non-app version: http://www.coolrunning.com/engine/2/2_3/181.shtml. I don't like running with my phone, so I used podcasts for the early weeks, and just listen to music now that i'm in the later weeks (W8D3 tomorrow...)
  • morgan9
    morgan9 Posts: 22
    Options
    Great tips! Thanks!

All I would add is this: Listen to your body. Pay attention to your aches and respond accordingly by slowing it up a little. Ask yourself whether the sensation you are feeling is heading toward pain or the burning associated with a good work-out. If you're not sure, you're probably on the wrong track and it wouldn't hurt to be off-schedule safe instead of off-schedule/out-of-commission sorry.

Good luck!
  • FloraSin
    FloraSin Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    I'm on week 4.

Additional tips that I haven't spotted on here already would be:

1. Get the app instead of the podcast if you can. It costs more, but being able to pick your own tunes is a Godsend. I have a whole playlist of music that makes me feels like my run is short because it plays out like a montage. lol

2. Rewards for milestones. I'm almost where I want to be weight wise, so to reward myself for running in the chilly gross weather, I splurged on a good running jacket. I was so excited the day I bought it, I went right home for a run so I could use it.

Also, I tracks my runs in km (because it makes me feel like I've run farther. lol) and reward myself with the dollar value of my runs. If I do 4.37 km, I put $4.37 in my saving jar. Don't know what I'm going to use it for (maybe a HRM or something), but it's really fun to do and also helps me know how long my shoes have lived (so than I know when to get a new pair).
  • kmoore02
    kmoore02 Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    Don't buy running shoes that correct something that's not bothering you. I did that and it set me back a week and I still have some discomfort.

Learn the proper stretches for runners. You can avoid a lot of discomfort, injury or pain.

Learn how to breathe properly. It will help you with distance and being out of breath.

Hydration. I bought NUUN tablets to put in bottled water. It doesn't have the sugar of Gatorade or Powerade.

Where you run. I often run around the parking lot of our stadium, its almost a mile 1x around and it has inclines for added difficulty. However, it is asphalt and can be hard on the knees. I often go to the local school and run on the track. It is much easier on the knees but extremely boring going in a circle.

I use the app - it interrupts my music to give me my cues to walk and run. It also will give you encouragement half way through.

On week 5, day 2 and have thought about day 3 but I'm not worried, I've established a decent pace and a good rhythm.
  • jesstiger81
    jesstiger81 Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    I know these have sorta been repeated, but they're important!

Take your time! You don't have to run fast! I don't even think you have to run, and I am actually jogging really. I am not even running 5mph yet but I am very slowly working my way up!

REST! If the program says rest, it's for a reason.

Stop being scared of the next week! One thing I do is add about 30 seconds on to the last run of each workout. Just to bump me up a tiny tiny bit.

We can do this!!!
  • Doingitin2013
    Doingitin2013 Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    So glad to read all of the helpful tips! I just completed Week 2 Day 1. I was a little frustrated because I can't run as fast as I would like too, but I just keep telling myself "baby steps", especially since I have NEVER been a runner. I will say that it is a little bit of a challenge for me because I have scoliosis which affects my right leg (the right is a tad bit shorter than the left). My right shin hurts a lot while running and fast paced walking (been that way since I was a kid). I have also, in the past, twisted my right ankle on numerous ocassions, so it does hurt quite a bit when I am running. Any suggestions on what I can do for the ankle pain? I am trying to prepare myself for a hellrun that a friend of mine talked me in to doing with her in September. I do my runs at the local high school track. I thought about running on the tredmill, but running to me is something that should be done outside in the fresh air. One thing that does suck is I live in the state of Washington and it constantly rains which makes it hard for me to do my runs. I will not give up though! I've never thought about signing up to run a 5k because it sounds so scary to me, but the thought has crossed my mind several times lately.... Maybe I will sign up for one after I have done my hellrun....
  • jesstiger81
    jesstiger81 Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    It might be exhilarating for you to run in the rain! Just keep an eye on the weather and try to head out when it's not raining. I wish it would rain more here. :-(

As for your ankle, maybe schedule an appointment with your doc to make sure running is ok. Try wearing some special support socks to give your ankle more cushion and support.

Best of luck!!! Just keep taking it slow.
  • Lilsluvsliverpool
    Options
    Hi everyone,

I just started C25K last week and I love it. I really like how I feel after I am done. This evening I am going to start Day 1 of Week 2.

The tips are great thanks for posting them.

Lily
  • ashlinmarie
    ashlinmarie Posts: 1,263 Member
    Options
    Hey everyone! I just finished Week 2 today! It was hard and I thought I was going to have to repeat a day because I did not possibly think I could go more than 90 seconds. Well, at the end of the workout when I was exhausted, I pushed myself and ran right through my last walk into my cool down for a total of 3 1/2 minutes! Now I'm confident I can go into week 3.

I have some pain on my inner calves...more so my left one. I think I'll try icing it today, but it does seem to get a little worse with every run (though it only hurts when I'm running).

I just bought an HRM, but I think around week 5 or so, I'll try to invest in good running shoes. We just don't have any specialty stores near us and I know I'm going to have trouble finding the right pair.
  • kaylin225
    kaylin225 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Starting W1D1 today. Feeling a little nervous. Definitely going to keep everyones tips in mind
  • annadunn12
    annadunn12 Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    Brilliant selection of tips from everyone! Many thanks :-)
  • ykakomba
    ykakomba Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    i got running tips from my uncle who was a marathons runner champion
    i did this and it works

1. when running drop your feet like you're tiptoeing, it will save your energy, give more power and speed (note: don't get too tiptoeing, just relax when you do that)

2. don't drop your foot on your heel it will cause backpain, it can be dangerous.

3. Breath only from your nose, it will strengthen your abs muscle and strengthen your breathing power. if you do this you will get flat abs.

4. if you want to burn fat, don't eat before you run.

5. take some rest for a week, after you get sore feet. your muscle needs adaptation, if you break this rule, you'll harm your muscle. it can be dangerous.

6. after your feet get adapted with running, add more distance on your running routine, if you can do 1 mile, add 0.5 mile the next day.

7. don't get too ambitious, take a little step (if you're beginner just run 0.5 km for the first time)

i do all this , and it works. now i can run 10 km and reduce my belly fat.
  • MrsSweetT
    MrsSweetT Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    Great tip w/the saving idea...I think I'll try it. With my savings I think I'll put it towards a new outfit as I'll need it once I drop these pounds.
  • bazaar1982
    bazaar1982 Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    I've jsut started and my first run was hell - not due to the distance or even my breathing but because of my wobbly bits - everything wobbled which made blood run to it and then made it itchy as HELL. It made me want to stop, but as i was running round my backyard I kept going and iched! but figured I can't do that on the road. SO...I got out my old spanx type knickers - they hold everything in - and ran in them today - it worked! things still wobble but less so - and i can cope with it!

Hopefully as the weight comes off i'll need less support as there will be less wobble!!
  • ashlinmarie
    Options

1. when running drop your feet like you're tiptoeing, it will save your energy, give more power and speed (note: don't get too tiptoeing, just relax when you do that)

2. don't drop your foot on your heel it will cause backpain, it can be dangerous.

I have a lot of issues with this. I used to march in band and I do everything heel to toe. No back pain yet, but shin splints like a mother. I am actually trying to get to a running store today so maybe they can show me how to drop my foot.
  • keithgi
    keithgi Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the great tips everyone. I did W1D2 today and can already feel a twinge in my left knee. I will definitely slow down on Friday. and see if I can strengthen the knee and keep going. I really want this to work.
  • ashlinmarie
    Options
    Thanks for the great tips everyone. I did W1D2 today and can already feel a twinge in my left knee. I will definitely slow down on Friday. and see if I can strengthen the knee and keep going. I really want this to work.

Good luck! When I started, I couldn't run without a knee brace. After finishing week two, I got hit by a van (no serious injuries, but it hurt my bad knee) but I rested for 2 days and now I just finished week 3 and haven't worn a brace for my last two runs. They feel great! Might not be that quick, but I definitely feel my body strengthening.
  • MrsSweetT
    MrsSweetT Posts: 90 Member
    Options

I have a lot of issues with this. I used to march in band and I do everything heel to toe. No back pain yet, but shin splints like a mother. I am actually trying to get to a running store today so maybe they can show me how to drop my foot.

I have the same problem. For the first 15 minutes of me walking or running my shin hurts so bad I wanna just stop but I know it will go away. So I just slow it down until it stops hurting and then pick up my pace. I guess I should stop by a running store to see what they suggest for me to do. Let us know what they suggested you to do in the case I don't make it to a store. Thx.