Tips & Tricks

Replies

• jpcamden
    jpcamden Posts: 45 Member
    I don't know if someone's mentioned this yet because I haven't read the entire thread yet, but here's a good tip for hot days.

Fill your water bottle up halfway, and stick it in the freezer sideways. That way you have a big iceblock running the length of it. Now you can just refill it with water and you have cold water the entire run. Works pretty well but does make your hand pretty cold.
  • jessc4343
    jessc4343 Posts: 214 Member
    My biggest tip - Don't be afraid to recycle a week. Just because it says you can finish this program in 9 weeks doesn't mean you have to. Listen to your body, it will let you know when you are ready.

The first time I did this program it took me 17 weeks.

I knew I couldn't be the only one to do the program this way but now I'm really glad to KNOW I'm not the only one who recycles. I'm so afraid of getting hurt I have to make sure I'm ready to move on. I'm on my second round of week 3 and I'm terrified of week 4, but as another poster mentioned, I need to give my body the chance to shock me (in a good way, of course!) to see that it's possible.

Have you moved on to the C210K program or what do you do now to keep up your running without the program?
  • jessc4343
    jessc4343 Posts: 214 Member
    You are supposed to leave at least 1 day of rest between runs. This gives your body time to recover which is what will increase strength along the way. I usually go running Tuesday, Thursday and Saturday leaving 2 days to prepare for the new week and increase running times.

I like that schedule; thanks for the tip!
  • chubbygirl253
    chubbygirl253 Posts: 1,309 Member
    I'm new to c-2-5k and am still learning what I can do/should do. I like to do it mon, wed, fri. between water aerobics and yoga so I feel pretty strong. (I do more difficult cardio on other days so those are my light days) I did ok with wk 1 last week but I didn't feel ready to move up to week 2 so I came up with the idea of moving up to week 2 in the pool where its lower impact and repeating wk 1 on land. Next week I'll do week 2 on land and preview wk 3 in the water. My friend does not think this will be a helpful strategy but I think its a good idea. I'm determined to do this!
  • cobracars
    cobracars Posts: 949 Member
    1) as you get further into the program and work a bit harder you may find like I did that a headband / sweatband / dew-rag will be helpful for keeping the sweat out of your eyes.

2) I run with my phone on an armband and earbuds. I hate the feeling of the weight of the cord trying to pull the earbuds out so I use a clothespin to secure the cord to my shirt. I was also getting a bit of noise through the earbuds from the wire chaffing on my shirt and it no longer does that.
  • I think that the best tip I have been told so far is to have fun! When it no longer becomes fun you wont stay commited. I play my favorite songs and sing them while I run. People look & laugh but its a great!
  • tajour
    tajour Posts: 134 Member
    8. Don't let Week 5 Day 3 scare you. It's nothing at this point. You'll see! YOU CAN DO IT! Keep it moving. (You should definitely have music on this day. You'll need to stay out of your head.)

LOL, I needed to hear this. Day 3/Week 5 is happening for me tomorrow and I'm definitely scared!
  • BIRDIEBL8
    BIRDIEBL8 Posts: 155 Member
    I signed up for my first 5k on oct 20. ( had to get off the couch for that) Bought my properly fitted running shoes today & set out to break 'em in. Day 1walked a 18min mile. Oddly enough I've been walking 3 1/2 mi in an hour so not sure why was slower today but excited about the c25k program.
  • LvLite
    LvLite Posts: 102 Member
    Great discussion.. I am on week 5 and will be doing day 3 tomorrow... I am trying to figure out how to run on the other days.. as I typically run / jog daily
  • maggbrooks
    maggbrooks Posts: 13 Member
    Thanks that is something I would not have thought to try and was dreading starting week 2 since 1 was hard on me already :)
  • Lisame11
    Lisame11 Posts: 58 Member
    Hi All, I did Week 4 Run 2 today. Run 1 was on Monday and I found it really really hard. But I didn't stop until the podcast told me to, so even though I was tired I felt good about my achievement. It was harder to go out today, but I planned my route better so I didn't end going uphill on the last 5 min run! I was hot and tired, but it was better than last time, and slightly faster too.

I love all the tips here. Its useful to read even though I've been doing it for a couple of weeks. I do need reminding to SLOW DOWN. I get really self-conscious about how slow I am going, I am practically running on the spot sometimes when its really difficult, but determined not to stop.

I know from my heart rate, breathing and how warm I get that even though there's sometimes not much between my brisk walk and my jog, that I am burning calories. Also I ran for 3, 5, 3, and another 5 mins today. When I ran my first 60 secs that seemed impossible, so I know I am getting fitter too!

Thanks all for the useful advice. :)
  • My biggest tip - Don't be afraid to recycle a week. Just because it says you can finish this program in 9 weeks doesn't mean you have to. Listen to your body, it will let you know when you are ready.

I am doing just that. I finished week 1 last week and didn't feel that confident in progressing to longer runs just yet, so I am doing week 1 again.
  • Hi I had started a bit of jogging last year but then I got married in November and have since put on about 15 pounds :-(. I am now about 209 lbs....do you think i'm too heavy to start running again???
    When I started I was 30 lbs heavier than you. So, no you're not. You can do it.
  • Kjngrrl
    Kjngrrl Posts: 53 Member
    Invest in good, supportive running bras if you need them. Nothing worse than than too much shaking up North. I researched them online to find the highly rated ones and tried on several until I found the one I really liked. Made a HUGE difference in my comfort while running.
  • waddlingtowiddle
    waddlingtowiddle Posts: 10 Member
    Hydrate! Hydrate! Hydrate! If you become dehydrated you will feel the difference. As you head to the continuous runs and out of the intervals it's important to remember that if you feel like poo at minute 7 keep going you'll feel better at minute 10. It is amazing the number of peaks and valleys in each run. Music that you love with the right beats per minute is very helpful.
  • dmominee
    dmominee Posts: 3 Member
    Thanks for posting this website!
  • Ok any advice on how to get rid of extremly sore muscles in the legs. Uggg. I usually exercise 5 out of 7 days but not running. I just start couch to 5k and my legs are so sore its insane.

Mine were really sore for the first 5 days! The only thing that helped me was to keep moving. The more you use them the better. I was insanely sore when I started wk 1 day 3 but they actually felt better after running than they did before the run.
  • My biggest tip - Don't be afraid to recycle a week. Just because it says you can finish this program in 9 weeks doesn't mean you have to. Listen to your body, it will let you know when you are ready.

I am doing just that. I finished week 1 last week and didn't feel that confident in progressing to longer runs just yet, so I am doing week 1 again.

That's exactly what I'm doing. I'm on the second go around for week 1
  • Some really great tips on here.
    I have just started week 4, so excited about getting to 30 minutes of running, slightly scared about wk5, run 3 now though ;)!!

Some really motivational people here, thanks for posting!