Tips & Tricks

Options

Replies

• jsidel126
    jsidel126 Posts: 694 Member
    Options
    Before I heard of C25k ealier ths year, I started my own running schedule at the local HS track and on a treadmill. I found it useful to log time and distance infomation into a spread sheet and graph the results. It shows your progress to date in a picture format. You can easily see improvements made. I found it encouraged me to try harder and think about what I wanted to accomplish in the next run prior to the run (built into c25k) to quicken my improvements.
  • mismis13
    mismis13 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Just finshed week 1 of C25k. And not sure it I can go all the way. I am an avid walker with a 15min/mile pace, and this running thing makes me feel awkward. I have been alternating work out days, and often finish the run with a 2 mile walk. Any advice? I have never seen myself as a runner, but would love the calorie burn and the speedier pace.
  • firecraker05
    firecraker05 Posts: 41 Member
    Options

1. when running drop your feet like you're tiptoeing, it will save your energy, give more power and speed (note: don't get too tiptoeing, just relax when you do that)

2. don't drop your foot on your heel it will cause backpain, it can be dangerous.

I have a lot of issues with this. I used to march in band and I do everything heel to toe. No back pain yet, but shin splints like a mother. I am actually trying to get to a running store today so maybe they can show me how to drop my foot.

I have this exact same problem because of marching band as well as being slightly flat footed. I bought some running shoes that are supposed to help with the flat footed-ness. I am also trying to concentrate to land on the right place of my foot but it is very hard to do. Any suggestions on this would be greatly appreciated.
  • lturner8
    lturner8 Posts: 68 Member
    Options

1. when running drop your feet like you're tiptoeing, it will save your energy, give more power and speed (note: don't get too tiptoeing, just relax when you do that)

2. don't drop your foot on your heel it will cause backpain, it can be dangerous.

I have this exact same problem because of marching band as well as being slightly flat footed. I bought some running shoes that are supposed to help with the flat footed-ness. I am also trying to concentrate to land on the right place of my foot but it is very hard to do. Any suggestions on this would be greatly appreciated.

I used to struggle with this a lot. One of the best ways I found to force myself to stop heel-striking was increasing my stride turnover. There's a good article about it here: http://running.about.com/od/howtorun/f/strideturnover.htm. Focus on moving your feet quicker and shortening your stride, and your body will naturally adjust by keeping your feet more directly under you. You want your feet to land under your hips, then push you forward (not up) as you roll through the toes. It will feel weird at first, but your shins will thank you, trust me!
  • flabulous4
    flabulous4 Posts: 599 Member
    Options
    Try this video on good form running, I found it helpful: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tx6x2cD6Y8Q
    I also find that sometimes my arms come up a bit too much and this leads to tension: relaxing the angle a bit has really helped with shoulder aches etc. When I run and start feeling tense, I just adjust the angle down a bit and within about 30 seconds it feels better. I run faster too :happy:
  • kaylin225
    kaylin225 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I finally picked a 5k! Its in september so I better get my butt moving :)
  • NNAhuja
    NNAhuja Posts: 669 Member
    Options
    8. Don't let Week 5 Day 3 scare you. It's nothing at this point. You'll see! YOU CAN DO IT! Keep it moving. (You should definitely have music on this day. You'll need to stay out of your head.)
    LOL it's REALLY scaring the hell out of me!
  • kaylin225
    kaylin225 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the great tips everyone. I did W1D2 today and can already feel a twinge in my left knee. I will definitely slow down on Friday. and see if I can strengthen the knee and keep going. I really want this to work.

I took a cycling class at my gym and it's supposed to help improve the strength of the muscles in your knees. If u have access to a gym you might want to look into a cycling class :)
  • JIGGLYbellyPUFF
    JIGGLYbellyPUFF Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    earbuds > earphones !!!!!!!
  • stefbelize
    Options
    I am doing W3D2 tomorrow and I am really looking forward to it. So far I have been motivated to do it and even tempted to skip rest days, but I heed the warnings and stick with the program. Thanks for all your great advice. I will surely be using many of them. I am excited about running and look forward to running 5 minutes, then 10, then 30 minutes!
  • ashlinmarie
    ashlinmarie Posts: 1,263 Member
    Options
    I did figure out the tiptoeing thing, though I had some trouble with it today. I just focus on landing like a tiptoe...it took some practice but I got it (can't really offer any tips as all I did was focus on walking like that and then put it into motion while running). I finished week 4 today...I might repeat just because all but the last run was really hard on me, but I did manage to push myself and run for 9 straight minutes (could have kept going, but I had to stop at my Gramma's). I think I was just a little dehydrated though. I am scared/excited for week 5!
  • pagingdoctork
    pagingdoctork Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    My biggest tip would be to slow down. By running more you will naturally get faster. Don't rush into it thinking you're going to be doing 6 minute miles. The number 1 reason people fail at beginning running is going too fast.

YES. I've been really frustrated all month, because I had to keep repeating Week 3 over and over again... then I ran on Sunday without my ct5k app, and ending up going for 6 minutes straight at a super-slow jog. I felt way better about finishing the intervals than doing them really fast and having to stop halfway through for a rest.
  • huffandpuff
    huffandpuff Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the tips everyone! I started c25k today and thought I was gonna die! Once I got home, I realized that I forgot to stretch! Won't be making that mistake again!
  • MsChar
    MsChar Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Thanks for this post. It was so encouraging !!!
  • MsChar
    MsChar Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I agree with everything already said, plus... get outside as much as possible. It's so much more enjoyable - even when it's cold, wet and miserable - to breath fresh, moving air than to swelter on a treadmill.

And running with someone is even better. :heart:
  • deborah0123
    Options
    I have only been on this site for 3 days.MFP.com I found this app the first day and started it. I am on day 3 of week 1. I didnt know about days you didnt do it...so how many days a week are you supposed to do this. or is it every day ..sorry just learning learning about this nice little program..thanks for any info
  • SLHartman
    SLHartman Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    Also, I tracks my runs in km (because it makes me feel like I've run farther. lol) and reward myself with the dollar value of my runs. If I do 4.37 km, I put $4.37 in my saving jar. Don't know what I'm going to use it for (maybe a HRM or something), but it's really fun to do and also helps me know how long my shoes have lived (so than I know when to get a new pair).

That's a great idea! I completely agree with the little rewards. Each week completed I rewarded myself with a new piece of running gear. (New shirt, pair of shorts, etc.) Completing the program is getting me a pair of Vibram 5 fingers that I've been looking at forever!

Also, look for things to be proud of. Running longer is great, the first time I ran a mile without stopping, I was on cloud 9 and told EVERYONE. Having those successes are helpful in pushing you forward.
  • SLHartman
    SLHartman Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    I have only been on this site for 3 days.MFP.com I found this app the first day and started it. I am on day 3 of week 1. I didnt know about days you didnt do it...so how many days a week are you supposed to do this. or is it every day ..sorry just learning learning about this nice little program..thanks for any info

You are supposed to leave at least 1 day of rest between runs. This gives your body time to recover which is what will increase strength along the way. I usually go running Tuesday, Thursday and Saturday leaving 2 days to prepare for the new week and increase running times.
  • deborah0123
    Options
    Thank you so much for the help. I think I can do the skipping a day and then doing the run..at least until I get a little more in shape. It is hard if you havent done any exercise forever..like years..have been way to lazy..going to do much better.. I have to Thanks again
  • tinajoe628
    tinajoe628 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    Register for a 5K to give yourself a reason to continue once you finish the program. After I finished C25K the first time I let life get in the way of my run time. When I started the program again I registered for a 5K coming up in December to keep me motivated.

My son wants me to do the Zombie Run with him.. I may just take this advice and register :)