Stage 1

Options

Replies

• PBsMommy
    PBsMommy Posts: 1,166 Member
    Options
    deskgrl - Thanks so much for the input! It's not really results from the cardio added to the routine that I am looking for... I have just been doing cardio for so long, I don't know if I could quit cold turkey lol

Nefetete - I was actually thinking about doing something similar today and some over the weekend... I was going to go through each exercise and find a good starting weight for each.. I was also going to do the AMRAP for each exercise so I can have something to compare to the special workouts at the end of Stage 1.

I also made notations beside each workout on what page number each exercise was on... I bought the book on my nook and for some reason the page numbers beside each exercise, are not matching up with what page they are actually on... And I know I will have to reference some about correct form.
  • deksgrl
    deksgrl Posts: 7,237 Member
    Options
    You start with the amount that you think you can lift the required # of repetitions to failure, meaning you would have a hard time pushing yourself to do one more.

I thought it said in the book that you shouldn't be pushing yourself hard enough to go to failure. It should be difficult to get the last few reps, but not all the way to failure.

Well, I just went back and looked at the book and it says when you start, try to choose weight that you could do a couple of more than the number required. But by the third time you do the workout you want to be at a weight where you cannot do another rep. I had a hard time guessing what weight that might be.
  • Nefetete
    Nefetete Posts: 343 Member
    Options
    PBsMommy: great idea to do the AMRAP for each exercise to have a comparison. I have 2 more weeks before starting so I am just playing around for now.
  • KatLifter
    KatLifter Posts: 1,314 Member
    Options
    You start with the amount that you think you can lift the required # of repetitions to failure, meaning you would have a hard time pushing yourself to do one more.

I thought it said in the book that you shouldn't be pushing yourself hard enough to go to failure. It should be difficult to get the last few reps, but not all the way to failure.

Well, I just went back and looked at the book and it says when you start, try to choose weight that you could do a couple of more than the number required. But by the third time you do the workout you want to be at a weight where you cannot do another rep. I had a hard time guessing what weight that might be.

Ahh gotcha!
  • jo_marnes
    jo_marnes Posts: 1,601 Member
    Options
    I do the following:

Squat
    Pushup
    Seated row
    Pushup
    Seated row
    Step up (R & L)
    Prone jack knife
    Step up (R & L)
    Prone jack knife..... and then repeat from the top. Is that right?

no, you do 3 sets of the squats. then push-up/seated row 3 times. then step up/PJK 3 times.

on your other question on the step-ups/lunges, is your step high enough/are you getting low enough? what weight are you using?

Whaaat? I'm on week 4.... I do 2 sets of 12 reps. How is it alternate if you don't do one then the other & repeat?

To answer the other questions, I'm using a bench as my step (knee height) and someone told me the other day I did a 'perfect lunge' so I'm not worried about form. I am currently holding 5kg dumbells... any more than that and my balance is off at the moment. But I'm working on it!
  • Fr3shStrt
    Fr3shStrt Posts: 349 Member
    Options
    Today's workout - A5 (woohoo 3@10 rep territory!)

Squat: 10@45; 10@55; 10@55
    Push Up: Feet elevated (and I had a well meaning and kind stalker suggest I go lower - nose closer to floor so I'm working on that as well)
    Seated Row 10@47.5; 10@50; 10@50
    Step Up 10@30; 10@35; 10@35
    Jack Knife - I only did two sets

Felt like I was going to pass out at the end. Seriously. My skin was cold but I was sweating. So I know I pushed myself, but perhaps to hard?
  • lcuconley
    lcuconley Posts: 734 Member
    Options
    I do the following:

Squat
    Pushup
    Seated row
    Pushup
    Seated row
    Step up (R & L)
    Prone jack knife
    Step up (R & L)
    Prone jack knife..... and then repeat from the top. Is that right?

no, you do 3 sets of the squats. then push-up/seated row 3 times. then step up/PJK 3 times.

on your other question on the step-ups/lunges, is your step high enough/are you getting low enough? what weight are you using?

Whaaat? I'm on week 4.... I do 2 sets of 12 reps. How is it alternate if you don't do one then the other & repeat?

To answer the other questions, I'm using a bench as my step (knee height) and someone told me the other day I did a 'perfect lunge' so I'm not worried about form. I am currently holding 5kg dumbells... any more than that and my balance is off at the moment. But I'm working on it!

sorry if my response was not clear. its:
    Squat (2 sets)
    Pushup (1 set)
    Seated row (1 set)
    Pushup (1 set)
    Seated row (1 set)
    Step up (R)
    Step up (L)
    Prone jack knife
    Step up (R)
    Step up (L)
    Prone jack knife

sounds like you are doing the step-ups and lunges correctly...what was your question when you said you were: "over on the step-ups and lunges, am I doing it right?"
  • PBsMommy
    Options
    PBsMommy: great idea to do the AMRAP for each exercise to have a comparison. I have 2 more weeks before starting so I am just playing around for now.

Well instead of taking the AMRAP route, last night I went through each exercise and found the weight were I could do 15 and the last two to three were more difficult, but doable. So technically all my starting reps would be 15, but at an appropriate starting weight. So no guess work next week and I believe it still should be a good comparison to the special workouts at the end...

Another note - Am I the only weakling that couldn't use more than 10lbs (2 5lbs dumbbells) for the home gym version of the lat pull down?! I tried 16lbs (2 8 lbs) but I could only get about 4 before my arms started screaming the f bomb at me..
  • deksgrl
    Options
    Another note - Am I the only weakling that couldn't use more than 10lbs (2 5lbs dumbbells) for the home gym version of the lat pull down?! I tried 16lbs (2 8 lbs) but I could only get about 4 before my arms started screaming the f bomb at me..

I don't have my log sheet with me, but I think I started with 5 pound dumbbells, then I went to 10, now I'm at 15 and it is difficult. But I'm nearing the end of stage 1. I like those, I can really feel my obliques when I do it. Don't compare yourself to other people, it might make you discouraged or it might make you push too hard. It's good to challenge yourself, but don't do it based on how much other people are lifting. The comparison is going to be your own gain from workout 1 to workout 8.
  • PBsMommy
    Options

I don't have my log sheet with me, but I think I started with 5 pound dumbbells, then I went to 10, now I'm at 15 and it is difficult. But I'm nearing the end of stage 1. I like those, I can really feel my obliques when I do it. Don't compare yourself to other people, it might make you discouraged or it might make you push too hard. It's good to challenge yourself, but don't do it based on how much other people are lifting. The comparison is going to be your own gain from workout 1 to workout 8.

Oh I completely understand with not comparing to other people. I am not really the type to compete with other people or get jealous, I guess. And I definitely wouldn't push myself to hard. That's actually the opposite of my worries, I am actually afraid I won't push myself hard enough... I had just previously saw people doing 90lbs! I didn't know if they were using the machine at the gym or doing the home gym variation.... I couldn't even fathom doing the 45 Olympic bar we have, let along 90 pounds. Of course my strength has always been in my legs and not my arms...
  • deksgrl
    Options
    I don't feel competitive or jealous, but I feel like there must be something wrong with me if I can't do it. LOL! I have to tell myself I'm older when I'm starting, I didn't work out much before last year, etc etc.
  • PBsMommy
    Options
    I feel like there must be something wrong with me

I say this to myself everyday at least once at work... I am use to something being wrong with me :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
  • glitterballv
    glitterballv Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    So this morning I did my final workout A of stage one. Thought I'd share my results.

Squat: starting 30kg (66lb)- final weight 65kg (143lb)
    Push ups: started on my toes but had to take at least one break to make it through the set- finished getting lower, all on toes, no breaks!
    Bent over row: starting 10kg (22lb) final weight 50kg (110lb)
    Step ups: starting medium step with 5kg per hand (11lb) final weight high step with 16kg (35.2lb)
    Prone jack knifes: body weight start and finish. Hopefully better form!

I'm really pleased with the gains in strength, I weighed myself this morning and I'm about the same. My eating head been pretty dodgy but there is a difference to look at me which is great! My butt feels properly lifted and my abs feel much more toned not to mention cellulite is massively improved all over.

I only want to lose 20lb or so, so not too upset about the scale. Really need to clean up my eating though.

Will post my workout b results on monday
  • lcuconley
    lcuconley Posts: 734 Member
    Options
    Glitter - great work! Awesome progress! See you in the stage 2 thread!
  • gymbunny1962
    gymbunny1962 Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    I'm currently stuck using a rather small hotel gym for my B workouts. They do have an Olympic bar but the space is so limited that I'm terrified of using the Olympic bar for my dead lifts - people will be going down like dominoes all round me! They do have an EZ curl bar and I googled to see if it would be any good for dead lifts but most of the comments are not favourable. There are also the shorter barbell used for bodypump but I can only get 30kg on it and I want to move up. Any suggestions welcome!
  • suelegal
    suelegal Posts: 1,282 Member
    Options
    Check what gyms are in the area and pay for a day pass! Make sure they allow heavy lifting!
  • gymbunny1962
    gymbunny1962 Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the suggestion but the hotel is several miles away from town and I don't have any transport! Cost saving measure by my employer. Quite funny, there are other hotels nearby and their guests are paying in to use the cramped gym in my hotel.
  • chicbuc
    chicbuc Posts: 474 Member
    Options
    I finished stage 1 today. I don't feel like I made a lot strength gains, but it is what it is.

A
    Squat: 35---->65
    Push-ups: I suck. I did 10 real ones then the very next workout had to go back to the bench because I hurt my shoulder
    Bent over row: 55---->70
    Step up: Body weight---->25 In my defense, I use my bench and my legs are short...lol. My leg is way higher than parallel.
    Prone Jacknife: I mastered these a while ago, so I've been doing 15 reps per set since the first workout.

B
    Deadlift: 65---->110
    Shoulder press: 10---->15 lb dumbbells
    Home version of lat pulldown: 15---->30
    Lunge (otherwise known as my arch nemesis): 15---->30 with really good form.
    Swiss ball crunch: 25 lbs---->25lbs

I was going to take a rest week, but we're going to Washington DC at the end of the month, so I think I'm going to power through stage 2 and take a break during vacation.
  • Coquette6
    Coquette6 Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    I've got one more to go to put Stage 1 to bed, and I'll be doing that on Tuesday. My results from the A workouts:

Squat - 45lbs -> 85lbs
    Push-ups - 48 deg incline -> 38 deg incline (still not quite on the floor, but it'll come!)
    Seated row - 40lbs -> 75lbs
    Step-up - 30lbs -> 50lbs (I hate these with the passion of a thousand suns)
    Jackknife - 10 -> 25
  • deksgrl
    Options
    I did A workout 7 yesterday. Wednesday will be B 7 and then I'm off on vacation, so I won't get to workouts 8. But I'm pretty happy with how my body is looking and feeling. While on vacation I'm going to just do some DVD workouts or walking and biking, then start Stage 2 in April.