Stage 1

Options

Replies

• Rogiefreida
    Rogiefreida Posts: 567 Member
    Options
    I finished stage 1 today. I don't feel like I made a lot strength gains, but it is what it is.

A
    Squat: 35---->65
    Push-ups: I suck. I did 10 real ones then the very next workout had to go back to the bench because I hurt my shoulder
    Bent over row: 55---->70
    Step up: Body weight---->25 In my defense, I use my bench and my legs are short...lol. My leg is way higher than parallel.
    Prone Jacknife: I mastered these a while ago, so I've been doing 15 reps per set since the first workout.

B
    Deadlift: 65---->110
    Shoulder press: 10---->15 lb dumbbells
    Home version of lat pulldown: 15---->30
    Lunge (otherwise known as my arch nemesis): 15---->30 with really good form.
    Swiss ball crunch: 25 lbs---->25lbs

I was going to take a rest week, but we're going to Washington DC at the end of the month, so I think I'm going to power through stage 2 and take a break during vacation.

I think these are fantastic gains! I do my step ups on a bench too because my gym doesn't have enough risers for their steps, so I can only handle about 25-30 pounds currently for step ups because of the height (and it kicks my butt, every single time! lol).
    Fantastic job!

I am stoked that I was able to do deadlifts FOR REAL and finish 2 sets of them without stopping for grip/arm problems. I did have to flip my grip around on my right arm for one set (did an underhand grip with my right hand for stability), but hopefully my forearm strength will keep improving as the lymphadema improves. I was SO excited to be able to lift weight that is challenging to my muscles without dealing with my gimpy arm giving out. :love:
  • jaztoderan
    jaztoderan Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    I finished week 2! A couple days late due to travel etc but I did it. and going down to 12 reps was nice, I can squat 95lbs and probably more, and I deadlifted 90lbs can't wait to say I can deadlift my bodyweight! I did my shoulder presses today in front of a mirror and I could see my arm muscles it felt good!
  • PBsMommy
    PBsMommy Posts: 1,166 Member
    Options
    Completed S1 A1 last night.... My glutes are killing me! I couldn't find something that was a good height for the step-ups, so I used a kitchen chair. However, it was way higher than it should be for my legs to be parallel... Needless to say, step-ups were a major workout last night.
  • chocolatecroissant
    chocolatecroissant Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    Finally did day 1 (played with the programme over the past few weeks but this time was a strict start!) - I think I need to play around with my weights some more but it was tougher than I expected! Is anyone else nervous about increasing weights? I think I need to squat heavier (started with the Olympic bar, no weight) but am scared of increases due to a combination of fear of injury (poor form) and fear of the squat rack!
  • laccy40
    laccy40 Posts: 136
    Options
    Hi, I have a couple of questions.

1- I realised that my step height was too low so I've corrected the height which meant doing it at body weight. My left leg is weaker than my right. Should I wait until lefty catches up or add weights on the right? I don't want to risk walking in circles!
    2 - no way I can do anything with the Olympic bar yet, so I've been using the shorter fixed weight bars at the gym. When it says 15kg on each weight does it mean the whole weight is 15kg or is the whole weight 30kg or is it 30kg plus the weight of the bar? If so, does anyone know the weight of the bar? I'm curious to see how far I have to go before I'm ready to try the big one.

Thanks.
  • deksgrl
    deksgrl Posts: 7,237 Member
    Options
    You are supposed to add the weight of the bar to the weights you put on it for a total weight you lifted. But.... except for the Olympic bar, other bars can all be different weights depending on the type, the brand, the length, etc. Olympic bars are supposed to weigh 45 pounds, but I have also read that "good brands" weigh 45 but cheap off brands might weight less. As far as non-Olympic bars, I haven't been able to find a specific standard to find out how much the bars weigh. I was going to take my scale there and weigh the bar but I didn't get around to doing that so my workout log only shows "bar" or the weight I put on it for my tracking. I'm guessing that my bar weighs 15-20 pounds but I won't know for certain until I weigh it.

Laccy, Regarding the steps, I would do the same weight for both legs, not change weights for different legs.

Chocolate, when I first started, I was a little nervous. I started with the bar alone and then added 25 pounds the next time. But then I wasn't using an Olympic bar so I'm certain your bar weighs more than mine to begin with. The purpose of these first times is to learn proper form before you go heavier. Do you have someone at the gym who can watch you once to make sure you are using proper form? I made sure to read over the description in the book again and watched some Youtube videos for pointers as well.
  • lcuconley
    lcuconley Posts: 734 Member
    Options
    Lacey- For the "fixed weight" bars, the weight it says is the weight that you are lifting.

Chocolate - stick with it...you will get more confident with every lifting session. Reread the instructions in the book and watch rippetoe/strong lifts videos on line to keep reminding yourself on proper form.
  • laccy40
    laccy40 Posts: 136
    Options
    Lacey- For the "fixed weight" bars, the weight it says is the weight that you are lifting.

OK, that means I've got further to go than I thought. Oh well, that just means I can make more gains :happy: I think I will probably do stage 1 twice to get the most out of it.
  • PBsMommy
    Options
    Completed B1 last night! Loved every second of it EXCEPT the lunges... I hated lunges before this program. Now I hate them even more. The move feels so unnatural to me and I have had people watch my form and they say it is spot on. I even watched myself in a body sized mirror last night to make sure my form was correct... Yep, still hate em, but I am still going to do everyone of them 100%.

I definitely need to add more weight with the Swiss ball crunches... Just a question of curiosity, when you all do the swiss ball crunches do you use weight plates and hold them at your chest or do you do the long lever crunches with the weight in your hands stretched out above your head?
  • cphaneuf16
    cphaneuf16 Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    PBsMommy -- I didn't even think to add weights to the crunches! I barely noticed them, so I think I'll add weight, too.

I also had a very easy time with the prone jackknife, so I wonder if I'm not doing those right? I have good balance and have used the ball for core work before. Is there a way to make them harder?
  • PBsMommy
    Options
    cphaneuf16 - I am still a noob, so I may stand corrected on this... but... there is another variation to the prone jacknife called a pike. Here is a link to it on youtube

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QNjIiETmCk4

I have also seen people add weights to their midsection when doing the prone jacknife. I have not paid attention to if the are buying some sort of weight belt to attach them to or if they are just tying them on there with standard rope?
  • cphaneuf16
    cphaneuf16 Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the link! I think I'd pass out from the head rush if I tried that one! I'm going to try the regular one at home to see if I can get it to be more challenging. Maybe a longer pause in the middle?

I'm getting so impatient looking at success stories/pictures. I want my results NOW, not in a year! But I know, patience is key...
  • PBsMommy
    Options
    Yeah, I haven't attempted the pike either... Had it in one of my workout DVDs... I am super clumsy and always had this irrational fear that I was going to slip and break my neck... :laugh:
  • Coquette6
    Coquette6 Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    Finished Stage 1 today. Final weights for Workout B
    Deadlift - 40lbs -> 95lbs
    Shoulder press - 10lbs -> 22.5lbs
    Lat pulldown - 30lbs -> 75lbs
    Dumbbell lunge - 10lbs -> 25lbs
    Exercie ball crunch - 10 -> 25
  • lcuconley
    lcuconley Posts: 734 Member
    Options
    Coquette - congrats! Great job!!

the pike is doable, but in the meantime, do more. I always did sets of 25. With the crunches, the weight overhead is harder, so you should do it that way if you can.
  • mviegas1
    mviegas1 Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    Hello all...I did my first workout today and so far so good. I'd already been doing squats, lunges and step ups so I think my form is pretty good. Just working on increasing the weight now. :smile:
  • Fr3shStrt
    Fr3shStrt Posts: 349 Member
    Options
    I just did Stage 1 Workout A 6 and I wasn't able to increase any of the weights. I'm still struggling, so I think I'm going to repeat 6 before moving on to 7... thoughts?
  • chocolatecroissant
    chocolatecroissant Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the supportive replies - I don't have anyone to spot me at the gym but do at home - my husband is training to be a personal trainer and routinely nags me about form - but it''s sometimes more difficult to accept from a partner rather than a stranger! :-)

I've worked out a home and the gym now. The gym barbells are rubbish so it's more difficult to increase weights - I tried a heavier one for deadlifts but had to go to a lighter one on the second round to make it to 15. I didn't make it to 15 on the overhead presses second time around but will probably stick with the weight and see how it goes. It does feel a bit trial and error at the moment.

sjw654 - is there a requirement to increase weight every time? I thought that it depended on progress, although I'd aim to increase weight for fewer reps. Then again - there's no harm in repeating a stage.
  • chicbuc
    chicbuc Posts: 474 Member
    Options
    I definitely did not increase with each workout. I increased when I felt I was ready. I increased when I finished my sets and felt I could do a few more reps.
  • Rachel_Leigh84
    Options
    Hey ladies, im starting stage 1 on monday and just have a quick question and im sorry if im repeating. I have tried to look for the answer on this thread but its a really really big thread! The book states that if you're a beginner with weights you can add an extra workout to stage 1 so that it has a total of 24 workouts as oppose to 16. How is this so??? Do i just do 12 each of workout A and workout B rather then 8 of each?