Stage 1

Replies

• chuckles9189
    chuckles9189 Posts: 343 Member
    @rsharper-- i feel ya on life! Last week I only made it once! I finally made it to weight room again today and it was great.

Current stats for 3x10

Squats 120lbs (3x10)
    Seated row: 85lbs
    Push-ups 3 X15 (nose to the ground!!)
    Step-ups : 6 risers with 25lbs each hand (total killer!)
    Prone Jackknife 3 X15.
  • rsharper97
    rsharper97 Posts: 242 Member
    I finally made it back to the gym for my second B workout. Stats as follows
    Deadlift 15/75lbs 15/85lbs
    Overhead dumbell press 15/40 15/40 (20 in each hand)
    Lat pull down 15/75 15/75 (not ready for heavier yet)
    Lunges 15/40 15/40 (20 in each hand)
    Swiss ball crunch 8/25 8/25
    I was wondering if anyone has done the lunges with a bar instead of barbells? I think I could go with heavier weights if I did that but was wondering if balance would be an issue?
  • rsharper97
    rsharper97 Posts: 242 Member
    Just finished stage 1 a workout 3. My stats are
    squats 95/12 100/12 (so proud to finally hit 100!)
    pushups bw/12 bw/12
    seated row 70/12 85/12
    step ups 40/12 50/12
    prone jackknife bw/10 bw/10
    My son actually worked out with me this time.
    Has anyone ever did back to back workouts without a rest day? I did because of the holiday weekend coming up. I hope it doesn't create a negative impact doing it.
  • PBsMommy
    PBsMommy Posts: 1,166 Member
    So I finished up my last A workout last night! Can I get a whoop whoop?!

Anyways I started pretty low with my weights, but I think I did have some good strength increases in some places, not so much in others. I am also doing everything at home, so by seated row is actually a bent over dumbbell row.

I increased 75lbs on my squats
    I went from only being able to do 1 pushup military style, to doing 8.
    I only increased a total of 10lbs on my dumbbell rows (+5 for each hand)
    I increased a total of 30lbs on step-ups (+15 each hand)
    And went from doing 8 prone jack kinves and hating them to doing 15 prone jack knives and hating them.

I will be doing my last B workout tomorrow. And since I have spent soooo much time in stage one, with having to start over because of almost cutting my finger off, I believe I am going to skip over the AMRAP and go on to Stage 2. :)
  • lcuconley
    lcuconley Posts: 734 Member
    PB - whoop whoop!!
  • lovetowrite73
    lovetowrite73 Posts: 1,244 Member
    Has anyone ever did back to back workouts without a rest day? I did because of the holiday weekend coming up. I hope it doesn't create a negative impact doing it.
    I wouldn't recommend doing this. The rest days are scheduled in the program so that our muscles have time to repair.
  • I've got a question about lunges in stage 1 workout B - it says 'repeat with your opposite leg forward, and continue to alternate until you've done all the repetitions with each leg'.

Does this mean right forward, left forward, right forward, etc - until you reach a count of 30? And that's one set? That's what I did and it seemed like a lot of reps compared to the other exercises. Have I got it right, or do you only do 15 in total for each set, rather than 15 per leg per set?

Sorry if it's a stupid question (o:
  • lcuconley
    I've got a question about lunges in stage 1 workout B - it says 'repeat with your opposite leg forward, and continue to alternate until you've done all the repetitions with each leg'.

Does this mean right forward, left forward, right forward, etc - until you reach a count of 30? And that's one set? That's what I did and it seemed like a lot of reps compared to the other exercises. Have I got it right, or do you only do 15 in total for each set, rather than 15 per leg per set?

I think you've got it right, but then your last sentence confused me. Its 30 total lunges, 15 per leg.
  • pearlmullet
    pearlmullet Posts: 81 Member
    I've got a question about lunges in stage 1 workout B - it says 'repeat with your opposite leg forward, and continue to alternate until you've done all the repetitions with each leg'.

I think you've got it right, but then your last sentence confused me. Its 30 total lunges, 15 per leg.

You totally have it right. I find counting 1-1, 2-2 makes it feel less brutal than 15, 16, 17, 18...because it seems like 30 is sooo far away. :)

Hi all! I'm starting the second half of Stage 1 tomorrow (should be today, stupid meetings...:grumble: ) and I'm excited/nervous.
  • PBsMommy
    PBsMommy Posts: 1,166 Member
    @ICU - thanks for the whoop whoop! :happy:

I just completed the last workout B, thus ending Stage 1! :bigsmile: I thought I would never see this day with a sinus infection and almost cutting my finger off trying to stop me! :laugh:

I workout at home so I do the substituted for the wide-grip alt pull down for the home variation. Except I used my husband's 10 pound barbell + weights instead of the dumbbells depicted.

I increased my deadlifts by 60 pounds
    Increased my dumbbell shoulder press by a total of 10 pounds (5 each hand) wish I could have increased more on this one.
    Wide-grip lat pull down variation, I increased 15 pounds
    increased my lunges by 24 pounds total (12 each hand)
    I went from doing 8 swiss ball crunches with no added weight to 15 swiss ball crunches holding a 25 pound plate.

I am going to take a week off from New Rules and tap back into my workout DVD collection and start Stage 2 the first week of June! I will also be posting progress pictures on my blog on here eventually. It might take me a while to get around to it. Next week is going to be pretty hectic for me :):drinker:
  • Thanks so much pearlmullet and Icuconley (o:
  • chuckles9189
    @ PBS-- nice work! have fun with stage 2!!

I only made it to the gym twice this week. and have 4 workouts left of stage one and then I leave for Australia!! Yayyy.

Workout B6

Deadlifts : 115 x10/ 120X10/ 125x10
    (I'm still struggling with the confidence to up my weights but am very excited to use the 35lb plates next workout!!! yayy! Then the bar won't be SO close to the floor, which makes my legs feel so much better. I think I have a pinched nerve.)

Wide-grip late pull-down: 85x8/ 70x10/ 70x10 (I'm still pissed about the 15# increments...ugh).

Dumbbell shoulder press 20# (each hand) (3x10)

Lunge! 25# each hand 3x10. I think I'm going to try it with the bar next time!
    Swiss ball crunch : 10# 3X30.

Solid workout. I was feeling good about my weights (other than the lat pulldown).

@rsharper--- I almost went for a run yesterday because I only lifted twice this week. I decided against it to let my legs recover a little more -- those deadlifts are a killer on my hamstrings and butt!
  • runzalot81
    runzalot81 Posts: 782 Member
    Hey, Everybody! I just started the program on Thursday and I'm pretty sure I've already messed it up. I did Workout A on Thursday and again today :tongue: Haven't looked at Workout B yet. My head is swimming trying to sort the letters, numbers, and charts.

I did start with easy weights on Thursday just to check my form and get a feel for the routine. I pushed it today to see where I'm at and I finished nice and wobbly in 15 minutes :laugh:

What's a good substitute for prone jacknife?
  • chuckles9189
    runzalot-- why do you need a substitute?

I think mountain climbers in the plank position would be good. That way you're still working your core, hip flexors, arms etc.

Or maybe I could see v-ups would be good.
  • runzalot81
    Oh, yeah, mountain climbers are good! Or burpees?

I don't have a ball.

I'll have to look up v-ups.

Thanks, chuckles!
  • lcuconley
    Mountain climbers would be good, but you would want to do them slow to challenge your core. Burpees are more cardio.

By the way, runzalot, you are supposed to alternate workouts A and B.
  • runzalot81
    Thanks for the input, lcuconley.

Yes, I figured out that I'm supposed to alternate :tongue: I'm gonna run today and do B tomorrow.
  • runzalot81
    I just took some "before" pictures. Yikes. Pictures don't lie!
  • wbfd22
    wbfd22 Posts: 65 Member
    Pulled my groin yesterday playing baseball. I now know why it is so important to properly warm up and stretch and not just fast track it and socialize!! grrrr I am so angry at myself. I am missing todays lift and tonights soccer game. But I am being careful and resting it so I don't injure myself further. I will never make that mistake again!!
  • runzalot81
    I did that once running all crazy up steep hills :laugh:

Hope you feel better soon!