Stage 1

Options

Replies

• Ari112233
    Ari112233 Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    Congrats new me. That is excellent progress!
  • manic4titans
    manic4titans Posts: 1,214 Member
    Options
    newme, That is awesome progress!

I worked out today. the 3rd workout of stage 1. It's hard to believe I did this program this time last year. I didn't have amazing results mainly due to my diet. This next 6 months I hope to be different. While I don't deprive myself, I am trying to cut calories unlike last time.
  • Ari112233
    Ari112233 Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    I just finished day 4 of stage 1. I like workout b better than A. Usually Monday's at the gym are really crowded, especially near the squat rack and free weights. I think people are starting to spend more time outside instead since it stays light later. Thank goodness it was pretty quiet. Does anyone here have problems with sweaty hands and the weights? The gym is warmer these days and I'm finding it hard to get through the lunges and step ups without stopping to wipe my hands off. Does anyone use gloves?
  • becca2911
    becca2911 Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    I had this problem so I use gloves. I have 2 pairs... a super cute pink pair and a super super cute leopard print pair! They help but I still struggle with heavier dumbbells. Also dumbbells which have a smooth metal handle (so no grip or foam) are still if not more impossible, I stick to the ones with grip.
  • eatrunstretch
    eatrunstretch Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    Hi all, just thought I'd jump in and see if anyone else is just starting? I've got 1A1 under my belt and will be doing 1B1 tomorrow. I really enjoyed my first session and am really looking forwards to completing this journey. Just looking for people in the same boat to connect with.

Thanks for all the posts and the stats and helping me believe that I too will get there soon. You are all amazing!
  • avielosesit
    avielosesit Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    Hi! I just posted in another thread about starting stage 1, but thought I might pop in here as well.

I just finished my 3rd workout in Stage 1 (so I have done workout A1 twice and workout B1 once).

So far loving it and looking forward to making the improvements everyone seems to be talking about! I also love how it is really a 30 minute program. I am doing 1 60 minute low to medium intensity cardio workout a week (non-lifting day), and one 30 minute cardio workout a week on a lifting day. Does that sound like a good idea?

One concern that I am a bit worried about is whether it is possible to keep losing pounds while doing this workout. A lot of the stage 1 results have shown minimal decreases in weight, but decreases in inches and big strength gains. I know that this is the most important thing, but it would be nice to see the lbs go down too. It must be possible, since the IPOARM approach says to lift? Maybe I got a bit confused...
  • becca2911
    Options
    One concern that I am a bit worried about is whether it is possible to keep losing pounds while doing this workout. A lot of the stage 1 results have shown minimal decreases in weight, but decreases in inches and big strength gains. I know that this is the most important thing, but it would be nice to see the lbs go down too. It must be possible, since the IPOARM approach says to lift? Maybe I got a bit confused...

Yes it's possible but not always a given and not huge losses. Mainly water weight gains from muscles swelling and repairing... I took pictures for comparison and laugh at my scales whenever I get on them
  • Iron_Feline
    Iron_Feline Posts: 10,750 Member
    Options

Yes it's possible but not always a given and not huge losses. Mainly water weight gains from muscles swelling and repairing... I took pictures for comparison and laugh at my scales whenever I get on them

Couldn't agree more. The scales are such liars. Forget a random number and focus on how you look and feel :bigsmile:
  • anonymousKel
    anonymousKel Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    Hi all, I'm very new to lifting. Only ever done Body Pump (I do push myself though) and some body weight works outs plus the odd 5-11 mile run once a week. Also do little boxing from time to time.

My aim for buying this book was to strengthen my body as I get older and spend less time away from home by doing really concentrated workouts and stripping fat. I've been at goal before but looked gaunt and no chest.

My question (just giving a little background to fitness) is am I doing it right only done it once each workout?

Sunday eve Workout A No. 1

Some BW warm ups then sets Squat 50kg/15 both
    Push Up - full 2 x 15
    Seated Row 36kg/15 45kg/15
    Step Up 12.5kg/15 12.5/15
    Prone Jackknife 2 x 15

Tue eve Workout B No. 1
    Deadlift 40k/13 40k/11 - not a single 5kg around so had to go with 40 x 10's after warm ups
    Dumbbell Shoulder Press 7.5kg/15 10kg/15
    Wide Grip Lat Pull Down 25kg/15 25kg/15
    Lunge 15kg/8 15kg/15 - hard to hold
    Swiss Ball (weighted) 6kg kettle/15 5kg plate/15

Any advice would be gratefully rec'd.

Thanks in advance

Kel
  • becca2911
    Options
    I completed Stage 1 on Monday! Here are my gains!!!

WORKOUT A

Squats 42 ---> 105 (+63lbs)
    Push Ups Started on toe but for normal push ups ---> Triceps, on knees, but killing them, allll the way to the ground!!!! (sorry I don't know what all the different degree's of push ups are/mean)
    Bent over Row 37 ---> 70.5 (+33.5lbs)
    Step Ups 2 x 13 (and lower box height) ---> 2 x 22 (+ 9lbs/18lbs total and a couple inches on box)
    Prone Jackknifes 2x8 ---> 3x15

WORKOUT B

Deadlifts 55 ----> 88 (+33lbs)
    Dumbbell Shoulder Press 26.5 ---> 35 (+8.5)
    Lat Pull Down 42 ---> 57.5 (+15.5)
    Lunges 26.5 ---> 53 (+26.5)
    Swiss Ball Crunch 2x8 ---> 3x15 with 11lb weight

I didn't make so much progress with 1B mainly because of the ridiculous weight increments at my gym and partly because I am CRAP at some of these moves. I'm so glad I never have to do 1B again!

Doing the AMRAP later this week then onto S2!!!
  • manic4titans
    manic4titans Posts: 1,214 Member
    Options
    hey yall if don't or haven't been to the daily chat thread GO THERE NOW and check out Beeps. She looks awesome.

I am ashamed to say we started this program around the same time last year . We both finished but I didn't continue with anything. I gave up thinking it isn't working. Now I wish I had persevered .
  • evedroid
    evedroid Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    anonym: yes, you are doing it right.
    and you put me in shame, im about to finish stage1 and my finishing weights are very similar to your _starting_ weights :O
  • Iron_Feline
    Iron_Feline Posts: 10,750 Member
    Options
    and you put me in shame, im about to finish stage1 and my finishing weights are very similar to your _starting_ weights :O

Lol me too, but we all had to start somewhere :drinker:
  • chuckles9189
    chuckles9189 Posts: 343 Member
    Options
    I got into the triple digits on deadlifts today!! Workout B3-- 100lbs!
  • evedroid
    evedroid Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    polished it.
    gained 1kg and my thighs are a bit bigger. boyfriend says quads are so hard, you can easily use them instead of the ironing board.
    lost a bit from my stomach.
    compared photos and my bum has lifted a little. according to the boy it has a good grip on it now :)

squat - 42.5kg
    push up - 30degree (i truly suck at this)
    barbell row - 30kg
    step up - 20kg
    prone jackknife - 15 (not sure about the form, cant push my hips right up)

deadlift - 45kg
    shoulder press - 15kg
    barbell pullover - 12.5kg (this kills me all the time!)
    lunge - 17.5kg
    swiss ball crunch - 15 long arm with 5kg plate

im really not sure about my form though, the last couple of times the squats murdered my lower back, and the barbell rows worked my arms more than my back lately.
    ive also _stopped_ feeling massively sore after workouts. i suppose its normally the sign of increasing the weights, but i can just finish the sets with the weights above. any thoughts on this?
  • lcuconley
    lcuconley Posts: 734 Member
    Options
    Eve - I def lose the post- workout soreness as I progress through a stage...but then it comes back when I start anew stage. Mixing it up is one of the best things about this program. I am concerned that the squats hurt your lower back. They should not. Perhaps you need to stay more erect? It's ok to feel the rows mostly in your arms...we feel the "weakest link" in the compound lifts.

Chuckles - congrats!!
  • mylittletribe
    Options
    Hi all, just thought I'd jump in and see if anyone else is just starting? I've got 1A1 under my belt and will be doing 1B1 tomorrow. I really enjoyed my first session and am really looking forwards to completing this journey. Just looking for people in the same boat to connect with.

Thanks for all the posts and the stats and helping me believe that I too will get there soon. You are all amazing!

I'm just starting too. I just finished the book, and need to re-read the work out section. It's a little confusing... or is it just me?
  • anonymousKel
    anonymousKel Posts: 92 Member
    Options

Lol am determined to get some good results. Enjoy x
  • becca2911
    Options

Lol am determined to get some good results. Enjoy x

Yep I finished on basically what you started! :embarassed:
  • avielosesit
    avielosesit Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    Workout number 5 today.., ie the 3rd A workout.

I want to concentrate on the Step ups. I think I use my bottom leg to lift. I'm going to try lower weight/lower step to zone in on getting it right.

And I'm also going to do hiits after the workout. Do you think 10 mins is enough?

Thanks!