Stage 1

Options

Replies

• kimberliiw
    kimberliiw Posts: 242 Member
    Options
    Congrats on the lower pants size cphaneuf. I agree about form being so important. I've only done A and B once so far, but have done Chalean Extreme previously where emphasis is placed on form and slow reps.
  • PBsMommy
    PBsMommy Posts: 1,166 Member
    Options
    I did my weight and measurements for the first time since starting New Rules today. Lost 3.5 pounds, 1.75 inches, and 2.1% body fat. Moving in the right direction! :) I have had some small strength gains, but am concetrating more on form and technique and also making sure I am doing everything right. Going to be doing Workout B5 tonight. I am doing the 12 workouts instead of 8. So if I continue on with my schedule and have no bumps in the road, I should be finished with Stage 1 at the end of this month. :)
  • becca2911
    becca2911 Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    Would there be a major difference if I did lunges with a barbell instead of dumbells?

I find using dumbells really difficult when trying to maintain balance and my grip starts to go. Feel as though I could do heavier with a barbell but don't know if that makes a huge difference??
  • PBsMommy
    Options
    Would there be a major difference if I did lunges with a barbell instead of dumbells?

I find using dumbells really difficult when trying to maintain balance and my grip starts to go. Feel as though I could do heavier with a barbell but don't know if that makes a huge difference??

I would think it would be more effective with the barbell. You are adding in the balancing of the barbell, thus engaging your core? That's what I THINK anyways, not positive.

When I got up to 45pounds, I was planning on using my oly barbell for the lunges...
  • becca2911
    becca2911 Posts: 149 Member
    Options

I would think it would be more effective with the barbell. You are adding in the balancing of the barbell, thus engaging your core? That's what I THINK anyways, not positive.

When I got up to 45pounds, I was planning on using my oly barbell for the lunges...

Went to bodybuilding.com which seems to favour the barbell as dumbbells can be swung which ruins form...
  • evedroid
    evedroid Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    im a newbie, first two sessions are down from stage 1. im doing it at home and a bit scared of screwing it up majorly.
    i mean, ok, its still a 'test' period for me, working on how much weight can i handle and all that. still, all i feel so far are my arms! they are super jelly and (good-)sore even on the resting days, but regardless i could hardly finish the lunges for example, my legs arent in pain.
    i also found the swiss ball crunches way too easy! :O
    as of the deadlift - lower back pain! ouch!
    i know we all are different, hence whatever is difficult for me might be piss easy for others, and all i can do is playing around with the weights but damn aint i scared of doing the exercises in/with a bad form!
    sorry, just wanted to whine a little.
  • Nefetete
    Nefetete Posts: 343 Member
    Options
    im a newbie, first two sessions are down from stage 1. im doing it at home and a bit scared of screwing it up majorly.
    i mean, ok, its still a 'test' period for me, working on how much weight can i handle and all that. still, all i feel so far are my arms! they are super jelly and (good-)sore even on the resting days, but regardless i could hardly finish the lunges for example, my legs arent in pain.
    i also found the swiss ball crunches way too easy! :O
    as of the deadlift - lower back pain! ouch!
    i know we all are different, hence whatever is difficult for me might be piss easy for others, and all i can do is playing around with the weights but damn aint i scared of doing the exercises in/with a bad form!
    sorry, just wanted to whine a little.

not whining, but if that's what u want to call it by all means :)) Personally I took 2 weeks to perfect the form on each exercises & get a good sense of the flow before I even started the program. Slow and steady does it.

He gives variations for some of the workouts, I found the swiss ball crunch easy as well so changes to long arm swiss ball crunch with 15# dumbbell.

For the lunges and DL there are a lot of good youtube clips on form etc. I had to do that for DL myself, Mark Rippetoe was the best in explaining form in detail.
  • artbkward
    artbkward Posts: 238 Member
    Options
    First post here but I'm almost done with Stage 1. Starting my first workout with 8 reps tonight. I'll try to remember to post results at the end of next week with I finish it up!
  • chocolatecroissant
    chocolatecroissant Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    Nofetete - I had problems with lower back pain on the deadlifts initially - it seemed to be a form issue - my other half watched me and the key is straight back and abs held tight - at least it was for me. Good luck with the programme.
  • evedroid
    evedroid Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    nefetete: forgot to mention the copious amount of research and practicing ive done previous starting the program. obviously wasnt precise enough when it came to the deadlift business ha!

my mini victory for now is waking up for a super achy bum and thigh muscles. god knows why did it take a day, but at least i know ive done the lunges right :)
  • chocolatecroissant
    chocolatecroissant Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    Nearly at the end of Stage 1. My other half commented on tone in abs and arms :-) And today's A workout went much better than the last one with some weight increases and better form.
  • PBsMommy
    Options
    Well Friday I finished up B6, then Saturday I about cut my finger off. I cut it to the bone and actually chipped it a bit. Evidently cutting your finger is more serious than I originally thought. I can not submerge it in water, have to keep it stationary, and I can't put any pressure on it and they also threw me on antibiotics.... Doc said definitely no weightlifting for at least 10 to 14 days and basically said that walking would probably be the only "safe" workout. :ohwell: They are checking it next Tuesday to see if the sutures are okay to come out or if further things need to be done....

I was really bummed out Saturday and still kind of am. I guess after the 10-14 days, I will just start Stage one over... This time I am only going to do two workouts of each level instead of the three... See you in 10-14 days, hopefully. :sad:
  • lcuconley
    lcuconley Posts: 734 Member
    Options
    PB - OMG...how did that happen!?!?!
  • PBsMommy
    Options
    PB - OMG...how did that happen!?!?!

Honestly, it boils down to me not being careful.... My hubby's birthday was this weekend and my dad and step-mom gave him a very nice Case knife for his birthday. It had the regular knife and the straight razor on it. I opened the regular knife out, looked at it, closed it. Opened the straight razor part of it, looked at it, got butterfingers and the dropped it on my left middle finger. The thing was so sharp, I didn't even know I cut myself until I saw all the blood... Needless to say my husband had a very memorable 21st birthday.

Because of where it and how it cut, they had to use a stitching I haven't really ever seen before. He called it horizontal something another sutures. It looks really nasty and will probably be a really nasty scar as well.
  • Nefetete
    Options
    @ PB .... oh no that's horrible and sounds very painful. Hope everything works out and there are no complications. Its good that you are listening to the doc and taking the time off.
    Why re-start the program, personally I would have just continued, 2 week is not very long.
  • PBsMommy
    Options
    @ PB .... oh no that's horrible and sounds very painful. Hope everything works out and there are no complications. Its good that you are listening to the doc and taking the time off.
    Why re-start the program, personally I would have just continued, 2 week is not very long.

I really, really didn't want to take the time off, but the fear of that sucker ripping back open bribed me enough to listen. :laugh: I also can't wash dishes or clean the turtle tank... The hubby was pretty bummed about that.

I am kind of torn... I also said "Well it's only 2 weeks".. But the hubby said I should probably start back at lower weights than what I was at just to make sure that middle finger isn't going to affect my grip in any way. So since I am starting back with lower weight, I would rather just start all over.
  • Nefetete
    Options
    @ PB, ah it makes sense to start with lower weight and make sure ur grip is ok especially with step ups and lunges. Bright side NO dishes for 2 weeks :bigsmile:
  • swingsnatchlift
    swingsnatchlift Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    @PB - How scary! Take care of yourself and follow doctors orders. In the meantime, walk as much as you can. I agree that when you start over to start with lower weights to make sure your finger is OK.
  • cphaneuf16
    cphaneuf16 Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    @PB -- oh wow, that sounds awful! When you get back to it, remember that there's nothing wrong with just using body weight. :)

I overdid S1B8 yesterday, by a lot. I'm doing the 12 version but I really wanted to significantly up the weights for these last couple of weeks. Halfway through the lunges, I thought I was going to collapse, and when I finally finished the whole thing, I wanted to break down and cry the rest of the day. A few hours later my body decided it didn't want to move much anymore. Today it's just a good sore, but sheesh, I don't want to push myself like that again! At least, not anytime soon!

I was able to DL 105 and think I can stick with that! :) but I might drop back the db weights.
  • kwatkin
    kwatkin Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone - just wanted to say hello! I am halfway through Stage 1 and really enjoying it :) Turns out I was doing the pike jack knifes from the beginning too lol.

The only one I'm really struggling with because of previous knee issues is the alternating lunges... I've been using 20 lb dumbbells, which is good, but I have a hard time stepping forward and *pushing* back to feet together, the pushing part just seems to be putting strain on my knee... and thus, I'm not feeling it as much in my thighs/glutes because I'm not stepping as *deep* because of pain/irritation! I know it's definitely less painful if I'm stepping backward instead, but not sure if this is less effective. Any thoughts? :)