Stage 1

Options

Replies

• kelseyhere
    kelseyhere Posts: 1,123 Member
    Options
    Just wanted to check-in after my first day of NROL4W. I have to be honest, when I was filling out my chart, I thought, "this is going to be easy." I've lifted before and it didn't seem like anything difficult, just 6 moves, right? Wrong. Definitely harder than I was expecting. I was literally dripping sweat the whole time. I found the step up to be the most challenging. How high are you guys setting your step? I started with 4 steps added to a basic step aeorbic bench and that was too difficult, I had a lot of trouble balancing.

Anyways, happy to say, I'm very pleased with the first day of workouts. This is my first time doing a "plan" (I always just went to the gym and did my own thing while mixing in dance, les mills classes, kick boxing, etc.) so I wasn't sure what to expect. Cardio today and then on to workout B tomorrow!
  • thedreamhazer
    thedreamhazer Posts: 1,156 Member
    Options
    Just wanted to check-in after my first day of NROL4W. I have to be honest, when I was filling out my chart, I thought, "this is going to be easy." I've lifted before and it didn't seem like anything difficult, just 6 moves, right? Wrong. Definitely harder than I was expecting. I was literally dripping sweat the whole time. I found the step up to be the most challenging. How high are you guys setting your step? I started with 4 steps added to a basic step aeorbic bench and that was too difficult, I had a lot of trouble balancing.

Anyways, happy to say, I'm very pleased with the first day of workouts. This is my first time doing a "plan" (I always just went to the gym and did my own thing while mixing in dance, les mills classes, kick boxing, etc.) so I wasn't sure what to expect. Cardio today and then on to workout B tomorrow!

I use two step aerobics steps, probably about 2 feet total (can't be certain, that's just me guessing) carrying two 35-lbs dumbbells. Step-ups and lunges and the hardest exercises in the workouts, in my opinion. They'll get easier, but they're always the most challenging for me.

I have to say, I sweat through the entire workout. The minute rest between sets really keeps the heart pumping.
  • aregensb
    aregensb Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    I have officially finished Stage 1! I kept a log of my progress in my blog and have my starting and ending measurements there if anyone is interested. Now on to Stage 2...
  • Beeps2011
    Beeps2011 Posts: 12,003 Member
    Options
    Congratulations to all of you!

I am starting Stage 1, Workout 3A on Tuesday. Today is (officially) my last day of BFL training - I'm going to do both upper- and lower- body because I won't be doing any weightlifting until Tuesday - when I start Nrol4W.

I have just increased my calories, here, at MFP, so that I have NO deficit. I have decided to start adding whey protein powder to things I am eating in an effort to: a) get more protein in my diet; and b) get more calories into my diet. Is the 40/30/30 regarding the "40" as protein?? (I need to start tracking my nutrtion at MFP, again.)

Finally, if any of you can post how your progress was by end of Stage 1 (and even post your Stage 2 results here), I would be TERRIBLY INTERESTED.

Thanks!
  • carrie_eggo
    carrie_eggo Posts: 1,396 Member
    Options
    Is the 40/30/30 regarding the "40" as protein??

40% is carbs. :)
  • grapenutSF
    grapenutSF Posts: 648 Member
    Options
    I'm finishing my first read-through and SO PUMPED to start!

Do yall actually use the paper logs on a clipboard or is there a less clunky way you've found to track? Is anyone using an iphone app (or ipod touch app)?
  • ruststar
    ruststar Posts: 489 Member
    Options
    At first I wrote it down on a 3x5 card that I folded in half - one half for workout A, one for Workout B. I slipped that card inside my arm band or a pocket, and found I didn't need to use it after the first few times. Now I write it down in a note on my iPhone, review it before I get started, and don't need to refer to it after that. When I come home I log the weights and reps into a spreadsheet.
  • Beeps2011
    Options
    I've been using the good ol' clipboard for BFL, anyway....so, it won't be much of a transition, for me, to use it for Nrol4W. What WILL be *different* is that I'm going to photocopy all of the exercises and clip them onto the clipboard, so that I can go over PROPER FORM before I try many of these techniques. So many of them are "new to me".
  • MaddameKat
    MaddameKat Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    I go in with pencil in my hair and my note book i look like gadget girl with my ipod and gymboss too!
    Do i care ..hmm... nope :happy:
  • alf1163
    alf1163 Posts: 3,143 Member
    Options
    HELLO!!!! Merry Christmas to all!!! I am reading the book now, pretty much done. My goal is to start the first week in Jan. I am very eager to start. A little about myself, I am 48, married, mother of 2 and grandmother to a 3 yr old precious little girl. I am a Zumba Instructor teaching 4 nights a week, Mon-Thu. I also work during the day Tue-Thu, sometimes also on Fri. My challenge is going to be fitting in the workouts into my busy schedule and also allowing appropriate rest days. Any ideas? If working out during the week I am going to need to get up very early, no later than 5am to finish on time to get ready and tackle the day plus teach Zumba in the evening. The workouts can be pretty intense most times. I am thinking the schedule should look like:

Sun: Off
    Mon: Workout A - morning, dont have to get up super early since I dont work on Mondays.
    Zumba - evening
    Tue: Zumba -evening
    Wed: Zumba - evening
    Thu: Workout B - morning, I would need to get up by 5am.
    Fri: Active rest or off - I would like to take Bikram Yoga this day. I have done it twice in the last couple of months and I really enjoy it!!! I would like to do it at least once a week.
    Sat: Workout A - Preferrably morning.

What do you think? I would welcome any ideas!

I also plan on following the nutrition suggestions and go back to logging in my foods. My goal is not really to lose weight but to lose fat and become stronger. I can use losing some inches now after all the eating since Halloween. LOL My calorie range is 1686 to 1950.

Sorry for this long message. :flowerforyou:
  • Devlynn323
    Options
    great job!!
  • shlobiwan
    shlobiwan Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    Hey everyone!

I wanted to come back and say thanks for the encouragement. I really do appreciate it!

After workout #1, I got caught up in the holiday season (in addition to a few other things) and lost sight of my plan. I knew it would be tought to get the program going at this time of year, but I had to try.

So it looks like I'll end up starting my program in the midst of the January blitz, but it looks like it will just have to do. Now is the right time for me!
  • Beeps2011
    Options
    Welcome, alf....I think you and I will be working through Stage 1 at (almost) the same time!

I gave up bikram hot yoga this past summer, to make time for weight-training. While I did enjoy my 2.5 years at bikram, it is a TIME-SUCKER, and I realize I don't have the appropriate time to designate to every single (health) pursuit I want! So, good for you if you can fit it in.

I have read through Nrol4W twice, and am reading it through, again, as I begin the program TODAY!! (Workout 3A, here I come!) Since it does provide for only 2 work-outs a week, rather than 3, why don't you simply try incorporating 2 work-outs a week (plus your zumba and your bikram) and see what you think?

I'm going to do 3 work-outs per week, but that is because I'm concentrating SOLELY on heavy-lifting, and will try and do HIIT cardio on my days off of lifting.

Good luck and let me know how it is going for you! (I'm 43, by the way.)
  • Beeps2011
    Options
    The good news - I started Workout 3A, Stage 1, today.

The bad news - I am NOT as *strong* as I thought I was.

:(

I guess using the weight machines, even with HIGH weights, isn't really the right approach (for the results I am seeking). My ego took a blow, today. But, I'm determined to see this through. Yes, I want to get strong, QUICK - but, if I cannot have that, then I want to get STRONG. Period.
  • kelseyhere
    kelseyhere Posts: 1,123 Member
    Options
    HELLO!!!! Merry Christmas to all!!! I am reading the book now, pretty much done. My goal is to start the first week in Jan. I am very eager to start. A little about myself, I am 48, married, mother of 2 and grandmother to a 3 yr old precious little girl. I am a Zumba Instructor teaching 4 nights a week, Mon-Thu. I also work during the day Tue-Thu, sometimes also on Fri. My challenge is going to be fitting in the workouts into my busy schedule and also allowing appropriate rest days. Any ideas? If working out during the week I am going to need to get up very early, no later than 5am to finish on time to get ready and tackle the day plus teach Zumba in the evening. The workouts can be pretty intense most times. I am thinking the schedule should look like:

Sun: Off
    Mon: Workout A - morning, dont have to get up super early since I dont work on Mondays.
    Zumba - evening
    Tue: Zumba -evening
    Wed: Zumba - evening
    Thu: Workout B - morning, I would need to get up by 5am.
    Fri: Active rest or off - I would like to take Bikram Yoga this day. I have done it twice in the last couple of months and I really enjoy it!!! I would like to do it at least once a week.
    Sat: Workout A - Preferrably morning.

What do you think? I would welcome any ideas!

I also plan on following the nutrition suggestions and go back to logging in my foods. My goal is not really to lose weight but to lose fat and become stronger. I can use losing some inches now after all the eating since Halloween. LOL My calorie range is 1686 to 1950.

Sorry for this long message. :flowerforyou:

Where do you teach Zumba? If you teach at a gym that has weights, I would suggest you just try and arrive early or stay after your Zumba class to do the Nrol4W workouts. They really don't take long (at least in stage 1), usually only 30 minutes. I feel like personally I could get themin 20 minutes but the problem is the gym is just so busy sometimes it makes setting up the equipment I need difficult.

I am also trying to incorporate hot yoga once a week. These workouts make me sore so the yoga is definitely a nice break. If I can, I try and do it on a lifting day. I do most of my workouts during lunch because I am NOT a morning person. I know if I was trying to get up at 5am, I wouldn't lift anything because I would be too grumpy.

You are definitely going to lose weight and get stronger if you stick to it. Congrats on joining up with us and make sure to check back in once you get started :)
  • sugarbeans
    sugarbeans Posts: 676 Member
    Options
    Hey everyone!! I bought this book as a Christmas gift for myself and I want to start it pretty quick here.
    I'm wondering if it is possible to do this at home or at a gym that has minimal equipment. I have a World Health membership but with the January fit craze I was hoping to avoid it until maybe stage 2 and when I'm a bit more comfortable at the gym lifting weights again, I have access to a gym at work but I don't remember seeing some of the suggested tools. What to do lol...
    I'm just a little intimidated to start this in a gym with meat heads.. I hate to admit it but it's true, however I want do this program might get me out of my plateau. (Sorry for the rant) and any input would be sweet.
  • carrie_eggo
    Options
    Hey everyone!! I bought this book as a Christmas gift for myself and I want to start it pretty quick here.
    I'm wondering if it is possible to do this at home or at a gym that has minimal equipment. I have a World Health membership but with the January fit craze I was hoping to avoid it until maybe stage 2 and when I'm a bit more comfortable at the gym lifting weights again, I have access to a gym at work but I don't remember seeing some of the suggested tools. What to do lol...
    I'm just a little intimidated to start this in a gym with meat heads.. I hate to admit it but it's true, however I want do this program might get me out of my plateau. (Sorry for the rant) and any input would be sweet.

Read this first:
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/421533-doing-it-at-home

I just modify a couple of the exercises. Instead of the seated row, I do a bent over row and instead of the wide grip lat pull down I do an upright row. I guess it depends on what you have to work with.
  • AH2013
    AH2013 Posts: 385 Member
    Options
    Hi all!

I got this book from Santa this Christmas and can't wait to start. I workout from home as I'm quite a distance from the nearest gym and have just about everything I need in our home gym now.....just got to get a swiss ball and I can start!!! Very excited.

I have modified the lunges due to my dislocating knees and found alternatives to the lat pulldown (don't have the machine) and seated row, for same reason. I do a bent over row and a one point dumb bell row instead.

I found this link really handy for downloading spreadsheet to keep track, it's really handy!!!! http://maggiewang.com/2008/05/20/new-rules-of-lifting-for-women-diet-calculator-and-workout-logs

Planning to start this on Sunday 1st...dependent on hangover, otherwise Tuesday 3rd!
  • alf1163
    alf1163 Posts: 3,143 Member
    Options
    Hello!!! Well, I did my second workout today, B. I liked it! I am not too sure about the deadlifts, they are so much like a squat. I normally do the one with the straight legs. I am hoping I am doing them correctly. I am also doing them with dumbbells since I dont have a barbell. I am not really planning on getting one. I dont have a separate room for my workout equipment and it is already getting crowded with what I have. I will work with what I have. I am logging in my food today since it is a "normal" day, not eating out etc and see how it looks like.

Beeps, thank you for your suggestions. I am going to see how it goes working out 3x a week. The reason is that I tend to get bored easily and dont want to extend the 6 wks any longer than that. Yes, I am hoping to do Bikram but only once a week. And since it is a long workout and my schedule can vary there might be times that I might not be able to do it. I do enjoy it very much. I have only done it twice but only with two sessions I noticed a big difference.

kelseyhere, I also appreciate your suggestions. The two locations where I teach Zumba have gym equipment, one is a full gym. I teach in the evening, 7pm, and by the time I finish the class, talk to the students, pick up etc is almost 8:30pm. I also have dinner with the family before I head out, 6:15pm, so I really dont have time to do the workout before or after. I am also a morning person and the earlier I can get trng done the better for me. That schedule is the one I can be most consistent. I know I might not get the "full" benefit with the equipment I have but I believe I can get really good results if I follow it as close as possible. And the diet is a very important part of the program as well...

Sugarbeans, you can definitely workout at home. Just make sure you have most of the equipment that is required. I just started, on Monday. I am also doing the program at home. Let's help each other out!!!

carrieoff, I am just curious why you are doing an upright row instead of a lat pulldown. I am doing the pullover with one dumbbell as suggested in the book. :flowerforyou:

Sassy, welcome!!! I love the Dachsund. I have one! Thank you so much for the link. I was hoping to print here at work, will have to wait until I get home to look up username and password in my book. LOL Funny you mention your starting day depends on your hangover. :laugh: :laugh:

Have a great day!!!! :flowerforyou:
  • carrie_eggo
    Options

carrieoff, I am just curious why you are doing an upright row instead of a lat pulldown. I am doing the pullover with one dumbbell as suggested in the book. :flowerforyou:

I googled lat pull down alternative. :)

Which page is that on? Maybe I missed it, thanks!