Stage 1

Options

Replies

• carrie_eggo
    carrie_eggo Posts: 1,396 Member
    Options

carrieoff, I am just curious why you are doing an upright row instead of a lat pulldown. I am doing the pullover with one dumbbell as suggested in the book. :flowerforyou:

Which page is that on? Maybe I missed it, thanks!

Nevermind, found it! I don't know why I missed that! Thank you!
  • kkauz42
    kkauz42 Posts: 537 Member
    Options
    Hey ladies, I have 3 workouts left until I go to stage 2! I have a question about the AMRAP workout. This may be stupid, but do you do this workout after you are done with that set? For example, say I have workout 1A on monday then 1B on Wed. and they are my last workouts for stage 1. On Friday would I then do the first AMRAP workout and then my next lifting day (which would be Monday) would i do AMRAP for workout 2? Then my week break and start stage 2 right?
  • sugarbeans
    sugarbeans Posts: 676 Member
    Options
    I've increased my calories as suggested in the book, and I am hoping to start this on Sunday. I will be looking over the book again the next few days to decide if I can do this at home or if I should just "suck it up princess" and go to the gym that I do have a membership too. It has just been so long and I don't want to look like a Newbie at the gym. I have lifted weights before but it is usually DB's and if I do any machines or lats pulldowns etc. it was with my trainer. I guess I just gotta suck it up and get er done if I am going to reach my goal by the end of May.

Thanks for the advice and I look forward to hearing our success stories, challenges and whatever else might be on our minds during this process.
  • deninevi
    deninevi Posts: 934 Member
    Options
    Hey ladies, I have 3 workouts left until I go to stage 2! I have a question about the AMRAP workout. This may be stupid, but do you do this workout after you are done with that set? For example, say I have workout 1A on monday then 1B on Wed. and they are my last workouts for stage 1. On Friday would I then do the first AMRAP workout and then my next lifting day (which would be Monday) would i do AMRAP for workout 2? Then my week break and start stage 2 right?
    Do workout A on Monday, Workout B on Wednesday, Special A -AMRAP on Friday, Special B -AMRAP on next Monday, take a week off and move on to stage 2. Hope this helps!
  • deninevi
    Options
    I've increased my calories as suggested in the book, and I am hoping to start this on Sunday. I will be looking over the book again the next few days to decide if I can do this at home or if I should just "suck it up princess" and go to the gym that I do have a membership too. It has just been so long and I don't want to look like a Newbie at the gym. I have lifted weights before but it is usually DB's and if I do any machines or lats pulldowns etc. it was with my trainer. I guess I just gotta suck it up and get er done if I am going to reach my goal by the end of May.

Thanks for the advice and I look forward to hearing our success stories, challenges and whatever else might be on our minds during this process.
    You always can start at home and see how it goes. Don't be intimidated at the gym, just go and do what you have to do.
  • alf1163
    alf1163 Posts: 3,143 Member
    Options
    Hello!!! My triceps are a little sore from the workout on Wed. :drinker: I love good soreness! I think the pullover did it. My legs are not sore though. I am not too sure about the lunges. I found myself too wobbly and good form was lacking...I was just using 17.5 dumbbells. I am not sure if I should lower the weights and work on perfect form or do stationary lunges. What do you think? Workout A tomorrow and will also weigh in, take measurements and pictures. Is there an official challenge on here on another thread? Or this is it? Have a wonderful day!!! :flowerforyou:
  • carrie_eggo
    carrie_eggo Posts: 1,396 Member
    Options
    Hello!!! My triceps are a little sore from the workout on Wed. :drinker: I love good soreness! I think the pullover did it. My legs are not sore though. I am not too sure about the lunges. I found myself too wobbly and good form was lacking...I was just using 17.5 dumbbells. I am not sure if I should lower the weights and work on perfect form or do stationary lunges. What do you think? Workout A tomorrow and will also weigh in, take measurements and pictures. Is there an official challenge on here on another thread? Or this is it? Have a wonderful day!!! :flowerforyou:

I like to do stationary lunges. You could try that and/or lowering the weight. Good form is important. I didn't feel it in my hamstrings until the 3rd workout...otherwise I've had no muscle soreness yet.
  • kelseyhere
    kelseyhere Posts: 1,123 Member
    Options
    I'm having the same problem with lunges, I am extremely wobbly with weights in my hands (I've been using 20s or 25s depending on what I can grab at the gym) and my form is seriously suffering. I think I am going to do stationary also because I'm worried about hurting my knees.

I've also been doing deadlift with straight legs (that's the one I always learned), is this not right? I'm at work so I'm going to have to look at the book when I get home.
  • Beeps2011
    Beeps2011 Posts: 11,939 Member
    Options
    The deadlift for Stage 1 is the 'barbell deadlift", photo on p. 165 of the book. It is "squat" formation. The straight-leg that I found in the book is the "barbell romanian deadlift", photo on p. 168 - and it isn't for Stage 1 (but, obviously, is done in later stages).

I'm MUCH more comfy in the Stage 1 form, because I have lower-back issues and I'm TERRIFIED the romanian deadlift will put my back out.
  • Beeps2011
    Options
    I am not wobbly in my lunges, but I'm also only using 10 lb. dumb-bells. However, my husband used to train me and he always told me just to do stationary lunges....he doesn't think there's any benefit in the walking lunge style. Anyway, I'll keep doing what the book says for as long as I can. I'm sure if I had 20 lb. dumb-bells (or heavier!), I'd be wobbling all over, too.
  • alf1163
    Options
    Glad to hear I am not the only one. I love the stationary lunges. I feel I can focus more on the muscles I am burning rather than taking the appropriate length of step, bringing knee down to floors, keeping upper torso straight, etc. Just too much for me. I also have bad knees and feel that I am putting too much stress on them with the walking lunge. So, stationary next time and see how it goes... Regarding deadlifts I have always thought that with the romanian deadlift I get a better workout on my hamstrings and glutes than with the "original" deadlift. It is too much like a squat for me working more my quads than anything else. Thank you all for the suggestions/ideas!! :flowerforyou:
  • alf1163
    Options
    Can someone please send me the fourth word in paragraph two of "a decent interval" section on page 26 and the seventh word in third paragraph on page 121? I need them to look at the spreadsheets talked about earlier. I am at work and called the lady who takes care of my son at home (he is disabled) and I think she gave me the wrong info. I really wanted to print them here at work. If you dont want to post them here, can you send me a private message on MFP? I would really appreciate it!! I am here one more hour. Thanks!!!
  • kkauz42
    kkauz42 Posts: 537 Member
    Options
    I do walking lunges myself. Only because I feel like I get better balance. My legs are usually shaking and dead when I get done so i know they are getting worked! I was doing stationary and I almost fell over haha!
  • Beeps2011
    Options
    alf, you have a private message.
  • alf1163
    Options
    Hello everyone!!! How is it going??

I did my second A workout, first week done!!!! I increased all my weights today. I was able to do 10 push ups correctly, chest to floor, up from 9 last time in first set and 6 from second set. I decided to do the rest on my knees. Do you suggest I do them against something higher instead of going on my knees? Push ups have always been hard for me. I also need to increase the height of the step ups. I have an old step tha is not too high so I increased the weight of the dumbbells to 22.5lbs ea. I have a table that I have used as a step in the past but it is high and hard on my bad knees. I could try it but with lower weight. Will see...second week starts on Monday. :drinker:

I weighed myself this morning and took all my measurements. Everything has increased since the last time I took them:
    Weight 131.8
    Waist-relaxed 30.5
    Hips-at hip bone 36
    -at buttocks 38
    Thighs 21
    Calves 13.75
    Chest - 35
    Arms-mid upper arm 10.5

I am going to weigh myself every Friday other than just once a month to keep myself accountable. I will take my measurements once a month.

Diet: Eat as clean as possible everyday, drink lots of water, increase protein (follow program 40-30-30), more veggies and fruits, less simple carbs, less caffeine.

I joined a challenge group on JP Fitness Forum, it starts next week. Most participants are doing this program.

Take care! :flowerforyou:
  • Beeps2011
    Options
    alf, I joined the challenge at JP Forums, too!! YAY!!

Um, your measurements are nice.....much nicer than mine (how tall are you??) - so it's hard for me to register that you aren't "happy" with them. I'm only going to measure every 2 weeks. (Have to start tomorrow - and do PHOTOS, UGH! - for JP Forums).

I am terrible at push-ups, too. I will be using the 45 degree block (again) today. :( I think it's better to NOT do the push-ups from your knees. Keep your good form on the full style, but, yes, go up to a block if you have to.

I am fortunate that my gym has all the increments of heights for step-ups. I'm using the same block for step-ups that I use for push-ups. But, I'm also only using 12 lb. DB for the step-ups this week.

I'm not sure what to do about "bad knees".

Oh - and YAY on the push-ups!! I'm not there, yet....but, even if I make it by end of Stage 1, I'll be satisfied.
  • alf1163
    Options
    Thanks Beeps! I am 5'5", have shrunk one inch already. :grumble: :noway: Most people that look at me might say that I am fine the way I am but I know I can look better and feel better. I am not comparing myself to where I was in my 20's or 30's but comparing myself to where I was just about a year or even a few months ago so it is doable. I just let myself go, which I usually do starting in Oct. :angry:

Beeps, I think there is something wrong with my JP registration. It might have to do with the antivirus I have who knows. I havent been able to post today at all. It worries me cause I dont want them to think I do not want to join the challenge. I can log in and read posts but I cannot post myself. I didnt see your post either. Did you post on the challenge one? Last post showing for me is someone else yesterday. I have to figure it out.

Push ups :mad: so hard for me!!! I will follow your advice and try not to go on my knees.

Where is everyone else???

Have a great evening!! :flowerforyou:
  • deninevi
    Options
    Here is an article about the deadlift and deadlift variations from Mike Robertson.

http://robertsontrainingsystems.com/blog/deadlift/
  • grapenutSF
    grapenutSF Posts: 648 Member
    Options
    Did Workout A of Stage 1 today. Very excited about it all, and my feet are now officially wet. :happy:

Some questions for yee who are more experienced:

-How much does the bar weigh by itself?
    -(This may vary by gym, but still...) I feel silly that I'm so inexperienced & need some advice about setting up the bar with weights. It seemed like people put the weights onto the end and did *not* use that squeezable ring (:ohwell: ) to secure it on there. Is it OK that I do not use them? I don't want to look super uncool. :flowerforyou:
    -The seated row had weights marked 1, 2, 3, etc. I put it on "6" but surely that's not 6 pounds. What does it equal? Others here seem to be listing normal sounding weight.
  • VinVenture
    Options
    If it's an olympic bar, I think it's 45 lbs ( I know, however, olympic bars are 20 kg)

I don't personally secure if I'm doing only a few plates, lightweight or in squat rack. They're too hard for me to take on and off comfortably, so I'd've been stuck with one weight through. I go by personal prefference, but they are there for safety. Consider if you have several plates, heavy, or just feel insecure.