Stage 1

Options

Replies

• carrie_eggo
    carrie_eggo Posts: 1,396 Member
    Options
    You wanna hear something hilarious? Just finished stage 1 last night, then I got a facebook notification from NROL that Louminator had posted more youtube videos of the weightlifting moves...so I went to check 'em out. The "prone jackknife" I was doing? I've actually been doing the more advanced pike all along!! No wonder I was sweating through that one! And of course, I wouldn't find out until I completed the stage...how typical!

Lol...I think I've been doing a combo of both....
  • Beeps2011
    Beeps2011 Posts: 11,939 Member
    Options
    I've tried the pike, but lose the ball off to the side. I'm just doing the regular one, for now - trying, again, to work on my "form".

jarrett, biggest props to you for doing the pike all along....I think that is AWESOME!
  • kelseyhere
    kelseyhere Posts: 1,123 Member
    Options
    I do at least 1 hour of cardio on my off days (usually lift M-W-F, cardio T-Th) and I find it actually gives me more energy and endurance to get through my lifting workouts. My lungs are getting stronger and it allows me to get through the NROl4W workouts faster and also complete a full set without getting too tired. I've been taking the Body Attack class by Les Mills at my gym and I really like it because it also improves agility and coordination which I know I'll definitely need in later stages.
  • DarkAngellEyes
    DarkAngellEyes Posts: 335 Member
    Options
    Hi all! Just wanted to check in... I've completed my first week of Stage 1 and start week 2 today! (Stage 1 Workout B). I did the first 3 workouts at home because (to be completely honest) I'm still a tad intimidated about using the free weights at the gym. But I figured if I really want to get the most of these workouts I have to just go and do it and really start upping my weights.

So today after work I will be doing my lifting at the gym... and I'm sure it will probably take me twice as long as it does at home because I'm totally expecting the gym to be packed this afternoon. I must say though, I think I like the "B" workouts better... I just feel it more the next day.

I'm also continuing to do some relatively intense cardio (boxing) on my days off. Hoping to start seeing some real progress in the weeks to come!
  • JennC831
    JennC831 Posts: 631 Member
    Options
    I started this workout on Monday.. .Since I was confused about how to interpret the charts I did charts A and B on Monday... But now that I think I know how to read them on Wednesday I'll do chart B. What I'm confused about how to read workouts 1,2 / workouts 3,4..

Has anyone downloaded the excel spreadsheets? I'm confused about WO 1, WO 2, WO 3, WO4... Should I be doing each exercise 4 times? Or does WO 1 represent the day I'm working out?

Would Monday have been work out 1 chart A doing 2 sets of 15 reps, Wednesday is work out 2 chart B doing 2 sets of 15 reps, and then Friday is work out 3 chart A doing 2 sets of 12 reps (with heavier weights?) Then next Monday will be workout 4 chart A doing 2 sets of 12 reps?
  • Melis25Fit
    Melis25Fit Posts: 811 Member
    Options
    Question: Just did Workout A, yesterday, going to do the first week of B tomorrow.
    Do I only do 2 sets? Or do I practice with a "lighter weight" one set, and then do 2 with the heavy weight?

Also, when do you know when to start increasing the weights?
    Thanks!
  • alf1163
    alf1163 Posts: 3,143 Member
    Options
    I started this workout on Monday.. .Since I was confused about how to interpret the charts I did charts A and B on Monday... But now that I think I know how to read them on Wednesday I'll do chart B. What I'm confused about how to read workouts 1,2 / workouts 3,4..

Has anyone downloaded the excel spreadsheets? I'm confused about WO 1, WO 2, WO 3, WO4... Should I be doing each exercise 4 times? Or does WO 1 represent the day I'm working out?

Would Monday have been work out 1 chart A doing 2 sets of 15 reps, Wednesday is work out 2 chart B doing 2 sets of 15 reps, and then Friday is work out 3 chart A doing 2 sets of 12 reps (with heavier weights?) Then next Monday will be workout 4 chart A doing 2 sets of 12 reps?

Hi Jenn! I was also confused about this. I only made two copies of the spreadsheets for Stage 1. One for A and for B. If you are working out 3x a week it should look like this:

Monday A WO 1
    Wed B WO 1
    Fri A WO 2
    Mon B WO 2
    Wed A WO 3
    Fri B WO 3

And so on, alternating one week ABA next week BAB, until you finish the stage.

Dont get so caught up by the numbers on the spreadsheets. I dont know why they made it look so confusing. You do the entire workout only once every other day or however you set up your schedule.

You increase the weight whenever you need to. Your reps should be challenging especially the last 2-3 reps. I have been increasing my weights in almost every set.

I hope this answered your question. :flowerforyou:
  • alf1163
    Options
    Question: Just did Workout A, yesterday, going to do the first week of B tomorrow.
    Do I only do 2 sets? Or do I practice with a "lighter weight" one set, and then do 2 with the heavy weight?

Also, when do you know when to start increasing the weights?
    Thanks!

Hi! I just do a warm up set with a lighter weight whenever I feel I need to. For example, I feel the need to warm up my shoulders more than warming up my quads for the squads etc.

You know you have to increase your weight when you know you could have done 20 reps or more with that weight. The last 2-3 reps should be challenging, not reach failure but challenging.

I hope this helped. :flowerforyou:
  • AlsDonkBoxSquat
    AlsDonkBoxSquat Posts: 6,128 Member
    Options

Yes, it is confusing, so let me see if this makes sense (We’ll assume you’re lifting MWF):
    Wed, Jan 4 – Stage 1, Workout B, Workout 1: Exercise A; 2 sets, 15 reps, rest 60. Once you complete both sets move on to alternating exercises B; repeat 2 times [B1; 1 set 15 reps of shoulder press, rest 60; B2; 1 set 15 reps of lat pulldown, rest 60]. Once you complete alternating exercises B move onto alternating exercises C in kind.
    Fri, Jan 6 – Stage 1, Workout A, Workout 2 (2 sets, 15 reps)
    Mon, Jan 9 – Stage 1, Workout B, Workout 2 (2 sets, 15 reps)
    Wed, Jan 11 – Stage 1, Workout A, Workout 3 (2 sets, 12 rep)
    Fri, Jan 13 – Stage 1, Workout B, Workout 3 (2 sets, 12 reps)
  • bluiz13
    bluiz13 Posts: 3,550 Member
    Options
    i made up google spreadsheets based on something one of my other friends here did.....i would be happy to share...
    the link is....

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AmsRzs_p1FWddFljcmVJQ1NHLUtTLWg4cTJFZmtrT0E

best of luck....denise

• kkauz42
    kkauz42 Posts: 537 Member
    Options
    Tomorrow is my last workout for stage one! The "special" workout. Ya know, the AMRAP one! Yesterday I did workout A for the AMRAP and I was pretty impressed!

These were all at my lowest weights
    *Squats- 35
    *45 Degree Push-ups- 20...I was good with 20, I have been having issues with a pinched tendon in my left shoulder but it's FINALLY going away!
    *Seated row- 32
    *Step ups- 20, my legs were all tired from the damned squats!
    Jack knife- 17

I forget the exact weights I started at and built up to, I'll have to get my sheets out of my truck and look! I know squats was starting at 60lbs ending at 95 by my last workout of 1A!
  • armaretta
    armaretta Posts: 851 Member
    Options
    Hello ladies! I just started Stage one recently. I'm about to do my 3rd workout and was wondering something. Did anyone else notice a gain in weight and retention of fluid during the beginning? I'm visibly more bulky in the muscles, 2-3 lbs heavier even eating at a slight deficit, and just "feel" heavier in general. I'm pretty new to the heavy lifting mentality, so I'm unsure of a lot of what to expect!

Sidenote: I'm a BodyMedia Fit user, and I have noticed a increase in my TDEE from normal (afterburn maybe?). Anyone else a BMF user notice something similar?
  • jarrettd
    jarrettd Posts: 872 Member
    Options
    Ahhh, rest week. Getting in some light cardio and yoga to keep limber; studying and gearing up for stage 2!

@ armaretta... Your muscles are 70% water and pull in more water as part of the healing process. You really shouldn't watch the scale too closely while on program. You will continue to challenge your muscles throughout, and they will continue to hold water. So the increase is temporary, but it won't SEEM temporary.

I've struggled with this, also, as well as eating at surplus. I decided I'm willing to allow a certain amount of gain to attain my strength goals. I can always cut back later in the program (I probably will in the spring so I can go bikini shopping!)

See you gals in Stage 2!!
  • Melis25Fit
    Melis25Fit Posts: 811 Member
    Options
    So there is a workout A, and a workout B.

I I do the workouts seperately, right?

So Monday I did workout A, week 1, workout 1, and today I'm planning on workout B, week 1, workout 1.

I usually start with a 10 minute brisk walk with some stretches, and end with stretches. Can someone verify if this is correct?
    I was done on Monday in about 35 minutes. I'm still feeling my arms today, but I'm ready to do workout B.
  • alf1163
    Options
    So there is a workout A, and a workout B.

I I do the workouts seperately, right?

So Monday I did workout A, week 1, workout 1, and today I'm planning on workout B, week 1, workout 1.

I usually start with a 10 minute brisk walk with some stretches, and end with stretches. Can someone verify if this is correct?
    I was done on Monday in about 35 minutes. I'm still feeling my arms today, but I'm ready to do workout B.

Yes, that is correct! And the warm up and stretches before and after are a must! Congrats on losing 123lbs!!! That is amazing!!! :drinker: :drinker:

kkauz, wow!!!!! You did an awesome job!!! Congrats on finishing Stage 1!!!! :drinker:

armaretta, what is bodymedia fit? I guess I will look it up...

jarrett, I really hope that doesnt happen to everyone. The extra few pounds I gained during the Holidays are really bothering me. I feel uncomfortable, clothes are tighter etc... :sad:
  • armaretta
    armaretta Posts: 851 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the reply! I figured it was water retention in my muscles, but I like to keep track of that too. I have a tendency to go overboard big time on salty foods, so I try to use the weigh-ins to keep myself honest on that front. Eat too much salt? Pay for it with three extra pounds on the scale the next day and the feeling of guilt that goes with it! Sadistic... I know.

I have to say, I do feel pretty amazing the past few days after starting the program, and my flab is more shapely flab at the very least!

A BodyMedia Fit is a device you wear on your arm. It measures motion through an accelerometer, body vs environment temperature, and moisture/sweat. It is used to calculate how many calories you burn all day and night, rather than just during workouts. HRMs are only calibrated to measure your burns during elevated heartrates, so the BodyMedia Fit has an advantage in that way, especially if you are fairly active all day, and unsure of what your TDEE is.
  • Beeps2011
    Options
    I LOVE all the "activity" on this board.

I stepped on the scale, today. And, now I won't do that, again, for a month. (No surprise, it hasn't budged!)

I did workout 5A, Stage 1, today. And.....drum roll.....I completed ALL 30 SQUATS!! I believe I had the proper form and dropped my hips LOW enough. In the 2nd and 3rd set, I added 10 lb DB. (At my side, mind you, but next time I will try that same weight at my shoulders.)

I also used a LOWER step for my step-ups. I was REALLY having trouble on the 20" step (maybe 22"?? not sure), so I dropped back to the 14" step and increased my weights. My form was MUCH better on the 14" step and I was happy to use 12 lb. DB. So, once I get through this program, if I continue with step-ups, I can INCREASE that step length later on.

I did ALL 12 jack-knifes!! 3 sets! So, that felt really good.

And, I completed 12 minutes of HIIT at the end of it. Followed by a decent stretch.

I feel MUCH more confident (3rd week) than I did when I started, so that is making me very happy!
  • kelseyhere
    kelseyhere Posts: 1,123 Member
    Options
    Amaretta, I definitely noticed this same phenomena. I seemed to pack on about 5 pounds of water weight. I feel a bit bulkier, but at least the bulk is getting harder and not so flabby!
  • carrie_eggo
    carrie_eggo Posts: 1,396 Member
    Options
    I LOVE all the "activity" on this board.

I stepped on the scale, today. And, now I won't do that, again, for a month. (No surprise, it hasn't budged!)

I did workout 5A, Stage 1, today. And.....drum roll.....I completed ALL 30 SQUATS!! I believe I had the proper form and dropped my hips LOW enough. In the 2nd and 3rd set, I added 10 lb DB. (At my side, mind you, but next time I will try that same weight at my shoulders.)

I also used a LOWER step for my step-ups. I was REALLY having trouble on the 20" step (maybe 22"?? not sure), so I dropped back to the 14" step and increased my weights. My form was MUCH better on the 14" step and I was happy to use 12 lb. DB. So, once I get through this program, if I continue with step-ups, I can INCREASE that step length later on.

I did ALL 12 jack-knifes!! 3 sets! So, that felt really good.

And, I completed 12 minutes of HIIT at the end of it. Followed by a decent stretch.

I feel MUCH more confident (3rd week) than I did when I started, so that is making me very happy!

Yay! That's awesome. Great job Beeps!!
  • Beeps2011
    Options
    Well, maybe not...

Someone posted about "the proper way to do a squat" and I think my knees DO go over my toes.

:sad:

Soooooooooo, I'm going to have to use someone to spot me (again!) for awhile. I also think that I have SUPER-TIGHT hamstrings, and I'm going to have to hunt down some specific stretches that I can do (maybe nightly at home) on that area.

It's HARD to read all of this because, well you know, "the squat is the *PERFECT* exercise!" - and I'm not doing it correctly....never mind WITH WEIGHT.

Aaarrrrggghhhhhh!!!!