Stage 1

Options

Replies

• grapenutSF
    grapenutSF Posts: 648 Member
    Options
    Anyone willing to share their spreadsheet with me? I can't figure out how to log in a systematic way. I'm using JeFit @ time of lifting, but want a pretty spreadsheet to see over time.
  • Beeps2011
    Beeps2011 Posts: 11,953 Member
    Options
    I have an excel spreadsheet, but haven't yet figured out how to translate that into 'GRAPH' format. Will ask hubby when I'm further along.

All the protein powder I'm adding means I AM getting my protein in....it's my carbs that are too low.

Today is my rest day - I'm plugging in a yoga/stretch DVD in about 15 minutes and that's it. And, yes, I AM eating less on my rest days....mostly because I'm just putting in one scoop of protein powder, instead of 2 - so my meal count remains the same.

No budge on scale for me. And, I'm not tape-measuring until next week - but I don't think much has moved there, yet, either. I have faith it will all come out in the end....if I'm meticulous about what I put in my mouth!
  • _Sally_
    _Sally_ Posts: 514 Member
    Options
    Thanks - I will add more protein shakes - that's easy. often do one a day, but I probably need to bump it to two...

I got my spreadsheet from a link that was posted in this group forum. Let me see if I can find it and repost.

EDIT:

Here it is:

http://maggiewang.com/2008/05/20/new-rules-of-lifting-for-women-diet-calculator-and-workout-logs

login: perturbation
    pwd: dominance

.... and here is a link to the thread in this group on the topic: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/388750-link-for-prepopulated-log
  • carrie_eggo
    carrie_eggo Posts: 1,396 Member
    Options
    Everyone is doing so awesome!

I'm going to head out this afternoon and see if I can pick up a barbell and some plates....hopefully I can find a good deal.

Today is a rest day for me,back at er tomorrow.

P.S. I have my calories set at 1800/day,this gives me a 170 calorie deficit.

How many of you are eating the same amount everyday? Or are you eating two different amounts on rest/training days?

I am not logging workouts as the 1800 is an estimated TDEE. Therefore,I'm not eating my exercise calories back.

I'm doing the same...1800 calories a day. I don't log my workouts. Yesterday I did though because I wanted "extra" calories because of my son's birthday party...it was also one of my non-workout days too....After our Vegas trip in a couple of weeks, I might try to up my calories....see how high I can push it without gaining too much.
  • Shyloh1
    Shyloh1 Posts: 422 Member
    Options

I'm going to head out this afternoon and see if I can pick up a barbell and some plates....hopefully I can find a good deal.

How many of you are eating the same amount everyday? Or are you eating two different amounts on rest/training days?

I am not logging workouts as the 1800 is an estimated TDEE. Therefore,I'm not eating my exercise calories back.

I'm doing the same...1800 calories a day. I don't log my workouts. Yesterday I did though because I wanted "extra" calories because of my son's birthday party...it was also one of my non-workout days too....After our Vegas trip in a couple of weeks, I might try to up my calories....see how high I can push it without gaining too much.

Thanks for replying it makes me feel better.:smile: Sidesteal has been helping me set up my macros and 1800 is what he suggested for me. I'm going to wait another week or two and jump on the scale,just to see where I am. Somedays,I wouldn't mind eating about 2,000 cals/day.Maybe someday I will...
  • piebird79
    piebird79 Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    I started this workout on Monday.. .Since I was confused about how to interpret the charts I did charts A and B on Monday... But now that I think I know how to read them on Wednesday I'll do chart B. What I'm confused about how to read workouts 1,2 / workouts 3,4..

I thought that the program was to do Workout A and Workout B on the same day and repeat (i.e. A,B,A,B or B,A,B,A). I started on Monday 01/02/12 and only did Workout B,A because I was so exhausted. On Wednesday and Thursday I did Workout A,B,A,B both days. It takes me about 1 1/2 hours to do all the lifting including the requisite rest periods. Chapter 10 pages 124-125 in NROL4W discuss the alternating workouts. Am I wrong?!
  • deninevi
    deninevi Posts: 934 Member
    Options
    , piebird,Let's say you lift on Monday, Wednesday and Friday, so you will do Mon.-workout A1, Wed. -workout B1, Fri.-workout A2. Next Mon.-workout B2, next Wed.-workout A3, next Fri.-workout B3 and alternate like that. I hope this makes sense.
  • carrie_eggo
    Options

Thanks for replying it makes me feel better.:smile: Sidesteal has been helping me set up my macros and 1800 is what he suggested for me. I'm going to wait another week or two and jump on the scale,just to see where I am. Somedays,I wouldn't mind eating about 2,000 cals/day.Maybe someday I will...

The only thing I don't like about it is it's pretty much maintenance and I tend to overeat sometimes...so that all goes toward a surplus..which I don't want right now...BUT the scale is staying pretty much the same so it seems to be working.

Is that still a deficit for you? What are you macros set at?
  • carrie_eggo
    Options
    Let's say you lift on Monday, Wednesday and Friday, so you will do Mon.-workout A1, Wed. -workout B1, Fri.-workout A2. Next Mon.-workout B2, next Wed.-workout A3, next Fri.-workout B3 and alternate like that. I hope this makes sense.

Right. That is how I do it.
  • kelseyhere
    kelseyhere Posts: 1,123 Member
    Options
    The only thing I don't like about it is it's pretty much maintenance and I tend to overeat sometimes...so that all goes toward a surplus..which I don't want right now...BUT the scale is staying pretty much the same so it seems to be working.

Right! I tend to overeat a bit too, so even though I'm set at a 300 cal deficit, most days I end up eating closer to maintenance. I'm very interested to LHann result's though, by upping her cals with a protein shake, she's making the scale move. I think I really need to swap my late night sweet attacks for protein shakes :wink:

This week I'm traveling for work and I think I'm just going to have to do two workouts :( I'm going to have to force myself to get up early tomorrow and do an AM workout so I at least get two. You ladies keep up the hard work for me on Wednesday. While I'm flying back on the plane I'll envision perfect form so when I get back to the gym Friday I'll be mentally prepared.

Today is rest day so I'm going to go to the driving range with my man just to get moving a bit :)

Also, yes, kkauz, listen to your body. If you're eating right otherwise, your body probably really is trying to tell you something.
  • grapenutSF
    grapenutSF Posts: 648 Member
    Options
    Are you guys aiming for 1800 whether you lift or not that day? I find the calorie consumption the most nerve-racking part.
  • Shyloh1
    Options

I know what you mean about overeating,I do that occasionally sometimes too. When I set up macros,it said I had a daily deficit of 170 cals/.3 lbs per week. My macros are set up 40/30/30 Pro/Carbs/Fat.

I haven't weighed myself yet...
  • Shyloh1
    Options
    Are you guys aiming for 1800 whether you lift or not that day? I find the calorie consumption the most nerve-racking part.

Yes,I eat 1800 whether I workout or not.
  • Beeps2011
    Beeps2011 Posts: 11,953 Member
    Options
    I'm doing 1850 on my non-work-out days (trying to, anyway....I'm finding getting those calories in a bit tough, just now). And, I AM trying to eat back my exercise calories, which aren't much (about 200) on work-out days.

Eventually, if the scale ends up co-operating, then, yes, I'd like to just eat 2,000 calories per day, day-in-and-day-out, regardless of working out.

But, for now, the bump to 1850 has made me pretty uncomfortable and I just want to see how it goes. I'm tracking EVERY LITTLE THING I EAT (except gum).
  • Shyloh1
    Options
    Let's say you lift on Monday, Wednesday and Friday, so you will do Mon.-workout A1, Wed. -workout B1, Fri.-workout A2. Next Mon.-workout B2, next Wed.-workout A3, next Fri.-workout B3 and alternate like that. I hope this makes sense.

Right. That is how I do it.

Oops I messed up on my workouts.

I did Workout 1A,1B,1A...I lifted M-W-F.

I guess I should read it more carefully!lol!

Boy do I feel dumb!:embarassed:
  • pouringraina
    pouringraina Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    The hardest part for me nutrition wise is the fat. I am almost ALWAYS over in fat.

I have been eating 1930 on non workout days and 2230 on workout days. Yes, that sounds like a lot, but granted, I still have about 70 pounds to lose until I'm at goal weight :-/

I felt REALLY REALLY REALLY sore after doing the first two workouts. I think I am using too much weight. What weights have you been using for the exercises? This is the weight I've been using and the reps I was able to do with them:

Workout A;
    Squats: 45lbs/15 reps
    Pushup: 30 degree/10-15 reps
    Seated Row: 30lb/15 reps
    Step Up: BW/15 reps (I need to add weight next time)
    Prone: 8 reps

Workout B:
    Dead Lift: 45lbs/13-15 reps
    Dumbell Shoulder Press: 10-15lbs/15 reps
    Wide Grip Lat Pulldown: 50lbs/15 reps
    Lunge: BW-5lbs/9-11 reps (my legs were still so sore from workout A that I couldn't go down all the way and I was grunting LOUD when I did, LOL)
    Swiss Ball Crunch: BW/8 reps

So...what weight did you use on your first workout? Was it too much, too little, or just enough? I just REALLY don't want to be as sore as I was yesterday, and I'm worried that the weight I am using is the cause of it. Thanks for the input!
  • bigbugboo
    bigbugboo Posts: 161
    Options
    , piebird,Let's say you lift on Monday, Wednesday and Friday, so you will do Mon.-workout A1, Wed. -workout B1, Fri.-workout A2. Next Mon.-workout B2, next Wed.-workout A3, next Fri.-workout B3 and alternate like that. I hope this makes sense.

Hi

Thanks for this.

Total newbie with this here!

I have just completed day 1, and found it difficult to get my head around the exercise plan. So just to clarify, you do the sets and reps at 2 x 15 for workout 1 and 2 for both A and B (that's 4 sessions), and 2 x 12 for workout 3 and 4 etc, so 2 sets per exercise each time right?

Also I don't have a barbell yet so am doing the dumbbell squat instead of the back squat, is that ok?

Sorry if this has already been clarified. I haven't had time to read every post.

Thanks so much :smile:
  • bigbugboo
    bigbugboo Posts: 161
    Options
    Ignore my last post. I've just read a previous post which answers my question :embarassed:
  • aregensb
    aregensb Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    The hardest part for me nutrition wise is the fat. I am almost ALWAYS over in fat.

I have been eating 1930 on non workout days and 2230 on workout days. Yes, that sounds like a lot, but granted, I still have about 70 pounds to lose until I'm at goal weight :-/

I felt REALLY REALLY REALLY sore after doing the first two workouts. I think I am using too much weight. What weights have you been using for the exercises? This is the weight I've been using and the reps I was able to do with them:

Workout A;
    Squats: 45lbs/15 reps
    Pushup: 30 degree/10-15 reps
    Seated Row: 30lb/15 reps
    Step Up: BW/15 reps (I need to add weight next time)
    Prone: 8 reps

Workout B:
    Dead Lift: 45lbs/13-15 reps
    Dumbell Shoulder Press: 10-15lbs/15 reps
    Wide Grip Lat Pulldown: 50lbs/15 reps
    Lunge: BW-5lbs/9-11 reps (my legs were still so sore from workout A that I couldn't go down all the way and I was grunting LOUD when I did, LOL)
    Swiss Ball Crunch: BW/8 reps

So...what weight did you use on your first workout? Was it too much, too little, or just enough? I just REALLY don't want to be as sore as I was yesterday, and I'm worried that the weight I am using is the cause of it. Thanks for the input!

As long as you're doing the exercises with the correct form, soreness is a good thing! It means you're working hard and that you're building muscle. Keep in mind that you do have time to recover between each workout. I find that it usually is better for me to work out in the morning before work rather than in the evening after work. I tend to get less sore working out in the morning because I'm moving around at work after my workout. Whenever I work out in the evening, I get way more sore because I go home afterwards and sit on the couch or whatever.

I don't have what I lifted from my first workout on hand, but do what feels comfortable for your body. People start doing these workouts with varying levels of fitness so it's going to be different for everyone. For the first few workouts, I was trying to figure out what weight was good for me. The rule I tried to use was that I should be getting tired halfway through a set and then struggle with the last 1-3 reps. And believe me, I was waaaaay sore the first few times. It did get better though as my body got used to it.
  • carrie_eggo
    Options

I got my spreadsheet from a link that was posted in this group forum. Let me see if I can find it and repost.

EDIT:

Here it is:

http://maggiewang.com/2008/05/20/new-rules-of-lifting-for-women-diet-calculator-and-workout-logs

login: perturbation
    pwd: dominance

That is really COOL!