Stage 1

Options

Replies

• Beeps2011
    Beeps2011 Posts: 11,987 Member
    Options
    Tell me more about the Ormon, grapenut....I'm heading to the sporting goods store this weekend (for a flat-footed shoe purchase), but since I'm wanting to track body fat%, if the "Ormon" is the thing to buy, I want to know (so as not to have to make 2 trips!)
  • grapenutSF
    grapenutSF Posts: 648 Member
    Options
    Beeps, the exercise physiologist at my gym highly recommended that brand. He compared his results to calipers and found the Orman to be v. reliable. It uses a bioelectrical impedance method. You grab the handles and the monitor sends a very low current through your bod to figure out the amount of fat tissue in there. You don't feel it.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000FYZMYK/ref=oh_o00_s00_i00_details

You can also read the reviews on Amazon there.
  • kelseyhere
    kelseyhere Posts: 1,123 Member
    Options
    I have a quick question for you all about deadlift variations. I've been doing the barbell deadlift at the gym, but today I wanted to use the fitness center at my job and the equipment here is more limited. They only have these funky plastic bars that you can only load up to 66 lbs., and since I'm already deadlifting 80, I obviously don't want to go back down in weight.

Can I do deadlifts with two 40 lb. dumbbells in each hand instead? Any advantages/disadvantages to doing it this way?

Also, I've been doing the straight leg deadlift just because that's what I've always done, but realized today in looking back at the book that I'm supposed to be squatting to pick up the bar, and then straighten on the way up. I'm going to switch and do it the way the book recommends, just curious on your thoughts on this as well.
  • kelseyhere
    Options
    kkauz, for eating, I'm following the formula in the book to determine what Lou thinks I should eat (the version that allows for 300 cal deficit, and 40/30/30). That ends up being, for me, 1500 cals on nonworkout days and 1800 on workout days. So I set my MFP cal goal to be 1500/day. I'll try that and assess in 1 month by doing a body fat assessment. (I bought an Omron for this, way cheaper than I thought it'd be and a lovely replacement for my annoying scale). I'll also assess on the factors he lists, but there are far too many variables there to easily inform my decision.

This is another reason I upped my overall calorie intake - I just got to this chapter in the book this week. I know, I know, I should have finished reading first but just couldn't wait to get started. Just this week I've also started upping my protein intake to see if that makes a difference. I'm going to get some whey this weekend and after a few weeks of trying that I'll let you ladies know if it's working or not.
  • carrie_eggo
    carrie_eggo Posts: 1,396 Member
    Options
    I have a quick question for you all about deadlift variations. I've been doing the barbell deadlift at the gym, but today I wanted to use the fitness center at my job and the equipment here is more limited. They only have these funky plastic bars that you can only load up to 66 lbs., and since I'm already deadlifting 80, I obviously don't want to go back down in weight.

Can I do deadlifts with two 40 lb. dumbbells in each hand instead? Any advantages/disadvantages to doing it this way?

Also, I've been doing the straight leg deadlift just because that's what I've always done, but realized today in looking back at the book that I'm supposed to be squatting to pick up the bar, and then straighten on the way up. I'm going to switch and do it the way the book recommends, just curious on your thoughts on this as well.

I use dumbbells right now. :ohwell: I'm getting the barbell soon though. :smile: I think it is harder to keep good form with dumbbells but it can be done. Google dumbbell deadlift...that's what I do right now.
  • kelseyhere
    Options
    Ok, I'm going to try it. Real question is, can I even grip 40 lbs. dumbbells?! :smile: We'll see!
  • carrie_eggo
    carrie_eggo Posts: 1,396 Member
    Options
  • grapenutSF
    Options

Wow, there are so many different ways to mess this up. :frown:
  • alf1163
    alf1163 Posts: 3,143 Member
    Options

I have been trying to eat at a 500 cal defecit, but I realize that's practically impossible because when I do I want to binge at night (always been a problem for me, iron clad will power when the sun is up, but when the sun goes down, will power disappears). I have recently been trying to stick to a 300 cal defecit, and that seems to be working a bit better. I can't figure it out though, because some days I eat close to 2,000 calories and still feel hungry at night, but the on Tuesday I barely ate 1,100, worked out hard and didn't feel hungry at all. I forced myself to drink almond milk and eat more fruit so I wouldn't be in "starvation" mode. I've always kept an eye on what I eat but I'm relatively new to calorie counting (only about 2 months now) so I'm still experimenting and getting to know my body better.

I have the same problem!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I tend to lose my will power at night!!!! And it is mostly due to undereating...but sometimes I can feel hungry when I eat 2000 cals!!! Some days are better than others. I am back to logging in my foods, I had stopped for a while, so that is keeping me motivated at least for now. :noway:
  • alf1163
    Options
    I am supposed to do my third workout, second week, tomorrow but I might need to skip it. I went to Bikram yoga today and I think I pulled a muscle on my back. :sad: It was towards the end. I was soooo dissapointed!!!! Still am... I had not been to Bikram since Oct and should have taken it slower. What was I thinking? I really hope it feels better tomorrow...should I skip the workout or just give it a chance? I have to do B workout. Also I need your advice: my plan is to do three workouts a week but I noticed this week that I was overly tired because I teach Zumba 4 nights a week, Mon-Thu. The plan was to do the program M-Thu and Sat. I am thinking I should cut back to two workouts a week and do them Mon (reason being I dont work during the day, only Zumba at night) and Sat. Also I wouldnt have to get up so early on days that I work at my second job, not Zumba. Beeps, I know you had suggested something similar. Thank you in advance for your suggestions.

Have a great evening!!! :flowerforyou:
  • Beeps2011
    Options
    alf - Love bikram....but, I haven't been since July....so, yes, "taking it easy" would probably be a good idea.

I totally think you are "tired" BECAUSE you aren't eating enough....you have to up those calories and down that (healthy) food. You just do.
  • kkauz42
    kkauz42 Posts: 537 Member
    Options
    also, kkauz, in addition to kelsey's suggestion, how's your protein intake? I find I have to work pretty hard to get a sufficient amount, but that it really helps with feeling full (and I hope eventually with muscle growth).

I also follow the 40/30/30 and I have had my calories set on here for the 300 calorie deficit based on the book but I am just so damn hungry! I eat when I am hungry and I stuff with nutritional value. Meat, fruits, veggies, etc. I think i am going to try maintenance calories for a while cause I am just HUNGRY, and not hungry cause I'm bored, but REALLY hungry. If I don't eat all of my cals then I'll have a little deficit. I just don't want to be hungry for a month!

I'm going to look at that BF % deal too!
  • grapenutSF
    Options
    kkauz, makes sense to listen to your body.

Excited by my 2nd time of workout B today. I deadlifted more than I thought I could. :happy: The biggest reason was that the plates I was looking for had been moved :ohwell: so these 25lb jobbies were sitting there saying "well, why not try me?"

Oh, Ok.

So I deadlifted 95 pounds for my 2 sets. This of course makes me think... I'm awfully close to 100, so why would I not try *that* next time?!?! I'm enjoying the challenge of this whole thing. Weeeeeee!
  • Beeps2011
    Options
    That's awesome, grapenut. I went to sport chek last night and they didn't have the ormon thing. But, my husband looked online last night and, although it isn't at costco online (just the scale version), it is at amazon. So, I'm going to invest in that.

I've also decided to invest in a trainer for awhile - until my form is down. My daughter was watching my "practice squats" this morning, with my broom-stick above my head, and she said, "mommy, your legs aren't parallel...not even close".

So, I really am struggling with this. I go down as low as I can, and it is NOT low enough. Dammit!

But, so long as I can keep strengthening everything else I'm working on, and keep trying squats (weightless) until my body decides it can go low, that will have to be my motivation....

On some other thread, a poster said that: "children can squat, no problem, because their heads are the heaviest part of their bodies and when you line that up over your knees and go down, ta-da. And, men can squat, no problem, because their upper bodies are the heaviest part of their bodies - again, line it up and down you go. But, women, with big bums, their center of gravity is thrown off as soon as their butt goes back." And I thought - "WOW - I'VE GOT ALL THIS JUNK IN MY TRUNK" So, maybe that is my problem. I have a really small torso and I have a total pear-shape with a big bum/thighs. So, I'd like a trainer to help me figure out how to keep practising and practising, properly, and figure out how to get so that my thighs are parallel to the floor.

The end.
  • alf1163
    Options
    Grapenut, way to go!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! How is your grip lifting heavy weights like that? The other day I did the step ups (low step) with 35lb DB and I have to stop when doing my second set because my wrists and forearms hurt!! So that is going to be a problem for me. I have heard about Fat Gripz, these blue things you use to help with the grip. Anyone heard about them? I have the bowflex adjustable weights, wondering if I can use them with those.

Beeps, I am eating at maintenance, for me close to 1950 cals, although I want to lose a few lbs and definitely body fat. So I dont think I am eating that little. This past week I ate pretty clean and it was hard to come up with that much but I managed. What I am thinking is that I might not be eating enough carbs, 40% for me is pretty low. I am going to try to keep it up but if I keep feeling tired I might increase the % of carbs.

kkauz, I might be going through the same thing you are going through. I am feeling just plain hungry, sometimes right after eating a good size clean meal. Just play with the numbers a bit and see what happens.

Take care!!! :flowerforyou:
  • grapenutSF
    Options
    Alf, I'm not exactly sure about the grip. It felt OK I think, but what felt funny is the pads atop my palms/below my fingers (what the frig, surely there's a name for this, will be useful when I have more lingo down.) Is that what you mean? It felt like callouses or blisters would form momentarily, so I wondered if gloves were in order. I also thought I should cool it on buying more and more so I'm torn. You?
  • LHann360
    LHann360 Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    kkauz, for eating, I'm following the formula in the book to determine what Lou thinks I should eat (the version that allows for 300 cal deficit, and 40/30/30). That ends up being, for me, 1500 cals on nonworkout days and 1800 on workout days. So I set my MFP cal goal to be 1500/day. I'll try that and assess in 1 month by doing a body fat assessment. (I bought an Omron for this, way cheaper than I thought it'd be and a lovely replacement for my annoying scale). I'll also assess on the factors he lists, but there are far too many variables there to easily inform my decision.

This is another reason I upped my overall calorie intake - I just got to this chapter in the book this week. I know, I know, I should have finished reading first but just couldn't wait to get started. Just this week I've also started upping my protein intake to see if that makes a difference. I'm going to get some whey this weekend and after a few weeks of trying that I'll let you ladies know if it's working or not.

last week I upped my calories to 1770 and my protein by drinking a whey shake every day and I lost 2.6 lbs. this week. I started on Nov 1st and the scale didn't move ( until xmas week - it went up ) With my cardio calories added on, I ate almost 2000 each day this week and I finally saw the scale move down...I have to say...I believe the added calories and protein worked..the true test will be next week. I am currently on stage 2 week 3 and I still love it !
  • Shyloh1
    Shyloh1 Posts: 422 Member
    Options
    Everyone is doing so awesome!

I'm going to head out this afternoon and see if I can pick up a barbell and some plates....hopefully I can find a good deal.

Today is a rest day for me,back at er tomorrow.

P.S. I have my calories set at 1800/day,this gives me a 170 calorie deficit.

How many of you are eating the same amount everyday? Or are you eating two different amounts on rest/training days?

I am not logging workouts as the 1800 is an estimated TDEE. Therefore,I'm not eating my exercise calories back.
  • _Sally_
    _Sally_ Posts: 514 Member
    Options
    Is anyone seeing a difference in measurements during Stage 1?

I just started the second half of Stage 1 and haven't re-taken measurements yet, but I definitely feel more muscle in my butt and quads (exactly where I wanted them... thank you, squats/lunges!). My scale has not gone down, but I've been eating over my calorie targets this past month, so it's not a mystery.

FYI... I'm eating about 200 calories less on non-workout days than the book suggested starting at since I need to lose about 15 lbs (so @ 1550 instead of @ 1750). I use a HRM when I work out, and I eat back my exercise calories on those days (and I try to work out most days)

I'm having a hard time eating 30% protein, though. I usually average between 20 - 25% Anyone else struggling with this?
  • grapenutSF
    Options
    Sally, I struggled with the protein until I started a protein shake. I prefer real food, but it seemed like a reasonable compromise for me. I try to make sure most of my snacks have protein, that helps. Like greek yogurt; or cottage cheese & sardines (I know, but seriously it tastes good to me), 2 oz just chicken, etc. I also add peanut butter to things like steel cut oats and my protein shake or an apple.

I'm not seeing much dif so far in measurements or scale (sigh) but it's early yet I suppose.