Stage 1

Options

Replies

• coquette87
    coquette87 Posts: 114
    Options
    To deal with grip issues on the step-ups, I swapped to a lower weight and a higher step. I was previously using a step a little over halfway up my calf and a 25lbs dumbbell in each hand which was killing my hands and elbows. I switched to a step just above my knee and a 10lbs dumbbell in each hand. Felt far more challenging to my legs as opposed to struggled to hold weights.
  • Lozze
    Lozze Posts: 1,917 Member
    Options
    Question on how people record dumbbells. I use 12kg bells for step ups, so one each hand. Do you record that as 12kg or 24kg?
  • Nelski
    Nelski Posts: 1,607 Member
    Options
    Question on how people record dumbbells. I use 12kg bells for step ups, so one each hand. Do you record that as 12kg or 24kg?

If I use 20lb dumbbells for step ups or something, I record it as 20 even thought total pounds is 40. I know what it means when I look at my notes so either way I know where I'm at and what to go up to if I'm ready for more weight.
  • ellie78
    ellie78 Posts: 375
    Options
    I love seeing all this progress everyone is making, so motivating!

I did 6B last night, I can't believe I am so close to finishing stage 1. I finally managed to get down on the floor and do 3 pushups before I had to go back to a 30 degree incline. Its not much but its something. Pushups are seriously my nemesis. I'm really going to try and make it through at least one full set on my next workout. I think I stopped at 3 partially because I was concerned about my arms giving out and doing a face plant on the hard floor so I will grab a mat next time to put under me just in case.

I feel like my workouts would be better if I had better upper body strength. On the deadlifts, lunges and crunches I know I could take more weight but my arms just can't hold it. Its a little frustrating but I suppose part of the reason why I'm doing this too!
  • coquette87
    coquette87 Posts: 114
    Options
    I record it as the weight per one dumbbell. I also play on Fitocracy and that tells you to record the weight per dumbbell, so for consistency's sake, that's what I do.
  • Natihilator
    Natihilator Posts: 1,778 Member
    Options
    Hmm odd, I record it as the total weight, not sure I follow the logic of recording it as half the weight?
  • Hoosiermomma
    Hoosiermomma Posts: 877 Member
    Options
    Interesting, I would like to know the proper way to record dumbbell weight myself. A few people have said they are using the barbell for step-ups. Now that would be interesting, should the weight be divided in half? :tongue:

Just did stage 1 6A. Yay! :drinker:
  • manic4titans
    manic4titans Posts: 1,214 Member
    Options
    sipping my protein shake while I type :happy:

Completed 3A
    squats- used the Hex bar 50lbs
    pushups- lower incline than last
    Seated row-72 lbs
    step up -24 lbs
    prone jackknife- did them all but I can not get my bottom up in the air :frown:
  • Phoenix59
    Phoenix59 Posts: 364 Member
    Options
    Finally got to 5A! I love doing the three sets! I wish my gym had 2.5 lb. plates, though. I did 75 lb. squats, but think I could've done 80 without a problem. Tried 85 lbs., but just a bit too much. I'm really surprising myself with what I'm able to do these days as far as push-ups go. I can do them all on the floor, so I may try the Bosu ball at the next go-round.

As for dumbbell weights, I record the total weight. Just easier for me.

Y'all have a great weekend!:smile:
  • meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options
    for the dumbbell weight i record total weight, unless it's something like shoulder press where each arm is working independently.

speaking of shoulder, i have a recovery NSV . i have a wonky right shoulder (rotator cuff got torn years ago) and was regularly doing rehab exercises to help with that (stuff like YTWLs and cuban prone snatches). my right shoulder was much weaker than my left which makes things like barbell bench presses difficult to do.

since i started NROL i stopped doing the rehab exercises and just stuck with the shoulder press, push ups and massaging and stretching. i'm happy to say that now my right shoulder is like 85% pain free AND it's quickly catching up strength-wise with the left. :happy:

i'm thinking the issue was that my right shoulder was so much weaker the other muscles around it so that was causing imbalances. i honestly think i've gained more strength in my shoulder by indirectly working out than i did in all those months of direct exercise.
  • heymom93
    heymom93 Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    Did 3A today - much better workout today than my last. I also felt more confident in the gym. I am so much more confident with squats than I am with dead lifts for some reason. I am really looking forward to seeing my strength increase.
    I am off tonight to PF Changs with some friends - yikes! i already googled nutritional info - now I just have to stick to my choices so I don't go over as I have a feeling there will be lots of chocolate this weekend :love:
    squats - 75
    pushups - 30 degree incline and felt stronger
    Seated Row - 40
    Step ups - 40 (20 each hand)
    Prone jack knives - 15
  • manic4titans
    Options
    donnavj, we are on the same schedule!! You can squat a lot more than me. I am impressed. :flowerforyou:
  • kel7298
    kel7298 Posts: 1,542 Member
    Options
    Did 2A today. Up the weights and made some progress.

Squats - 30 (2/15)
    pushups - 30 knees
    dumbell row - 24 ( 2/12)
    step ups - 24 (2/12
    reverse crunches - 30

Would love to get a barbell, but it's just not happening right now.
  • jenniet04
    jenniet04 Posts: 1,054 Member
    Options
    Workout 7A tomorrow. The challege I was in has ended, so I'm really going to try to not weigh myself for the rest of the month. I'm a daily weigher, knowing full well that weight fluctuates and it usually doesn't bother me. However I really want to focus on gaining strength and losing inches and not be so focused on weight. I'd actally be fine staying at 150 lbs if I was lean and strong. It's really hard though to not see instant results, but I need to change my focus to the long term.

@mesha - wonderful NSV!! That's great to see the strength gains in your injured shoulder.
  • manic4titans
    Options
    Workout 7A tomorrow. The challege I was in has ended, so I'm really going to try to not weigh myself for the rest of the month. I'm a daily weigher, knowing full well that weight fluctuates and it usually doesn't bother me. However I really want to focus on gaining strength and losing inches and not be so focused on weight. I'd actally be fine staying at 150 lbs if I was lean and strong. It's really hard though to not see instant results, but I need to change my focus to the long term.

@mesha - wonderful NSV!! That's great to see the strength gains in your injured shoulder.

Yes, i wouldn't mind weighing 140ish and be lean and fit (smaller size would be great.) My thighs and butt are extremely fatty. I have huge saddlebags. Size 12 skirts and BMI 25.0 . It would be soooo nice to get rid of the saddlebags. I'll do cardio tomorrow and looking forward of NO lifting tomorrow.
  • dandelion39
    dandelion39 Posts: 514 Member
    Options
    Hi all,

Happy Easter/Passover weekend!

Just did S1 WOA4...I didn't feel like I was really in it. Didn't sleep well last night, and went out to dinner so drank and ate more than I usually do. I only upped my weights on the squat (by a whopping 5 lbs--thank goodness for those 2.5 lb plates); the 10-lb jump available on my gym's cable machines was too much. I wish they had those little 5 lb. add-ons. I'm really not looking forward to going to 3 sets of 10 for the next workout!

Coquette--that's a good idea: lower barbells but higher step for the step-up... I may try that next time.

Ellie: I'm with you. Push-ups are rough for me, and I feel like my forearm strength is holding me back. I'm going to get some gloves today and hope that helps.

Oh--everyone--are you exhausted on lifting days? I'm sooo sleepy all day after I lift. That doesn't seem to be the case if I just do cardio. Weird!

Have a good one!
  • heymom93
    Options
    @ manic4titans - I'm impressed with your seated row!!!
  • heymom93
    Options
    I have a basic question about the lunges and step ups. I do the lunges alternating each leg for the total number in the set but I do the step ups on each leg separately - so yesterday for example when I did my first set of step ups I did 12 on the right then 12 on the left and then moved onto my next exercise. I don't know if I am making any sense but am I doing these right?
    Thanks
  • manic4titans
    Options
    Dandelion, I am tired on my lifting days but not so tired I can't move. Are you doing too much? Or maybe I am not doing enough...

Donna, that's the way I do my step-ups and lunges. It is the way I understood it in the book.
  • Phoenix59
    Phoenix59 Posts: 364 Member
    Options
    I have a basic question about the lunges and step ups. I do the lunges alternating each leg for the total number in the set but I do the step ups on each leg separately - so yesterday for example when I did my first set of step ups I did 12 on the right then 12 on the left and then moved onto my next exercise. I don't know if I am making any sense but am I doing these right?
    Thanks

I do the number in the rep for each leg for both step-ups and lunges. If it's 12 reps, I do 12 on the right and 12 on the left for a total of 24. If you're doing 12 total, that's only 6 for each leg.

As for being exhausted after lifting, I'm full of energy all day, but start to feel the effects right around 7:30 at night. I'm usually asleep by 8:30 - 9:00 and sleep hard all night!