Stage 1

Options

Replies

• Pookylou
    Pookylou Posts: 988 Member
    Options
    Sorry to butt in on here... I hope this is the right place to ask this.

Im starting the programme tonight after work.

The first exercise is Squats and it says pg 157- when you go to that page it just talks about squats generally then it goes on to a new heading about barbell squat and shows you how to do that.

But on the sample worksheet it is talking about squats just using your own bodyweight then squats with ten pound weights :0/ I am confused.... I am doing just a simple squat to start with or am I doing a barbell squat?

I am a bit nervous about using the squat rack so would like to try without that at first....but also would like to add weights from the word go I suppose because I have done squats before and want to push myself..... so in this case do I do the squats with dumb bells in both my hands??

I just want to get this right from the start. Thanks

Emma x

I did my first go at squats with dumb bells - it was hard! Balance is difficult and my shoulders killed! I moved to a straight bar (with very little weight) and it was much easier! Been upping my weight there, and will need to move to a machine shortly. Thanks to some ace advice on here I practice body weight only squats to practice my form. Do you have someone that can show you the squat rack so you're not so nervous? Or try the bar - if you have access to one.
  • hypallage
    hypallage Posts: 624 Member
    Options
    Finished Stage 1 last week... Not got the details here but will post when I get a chance.

During Stage 1 I have learnt....

I love deadlifts & squats
    I rarely get sore muscles, even when lifting to failure
    lifting makes me happy & fills me with energy...therefore morning is better than evening
    I think I can lift heavier in the evenings
  • epcooper
    epcooper Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    Finished 4A tonight! I feel like I'm progressing in my weights slower than most.....maybe I just started out with very little in the way of strength. I do feel stronger though (well, not right now because my limbs are all jelly). Also, it's probably just water retention, but my limbs feel firmer. I weighed/measured this weekend though, and I've once again gained a pound and some inches. Bummer.
  • TheFunBun
    TheFunBun Posts: 793 Member
    Options
    Finished Stage 1 last week... Not got the details here but will post when I get a chance.

lifting makes me happy & fills me with energy...therefore morning is better than evening

Yeah, the lifting in the evenings is something about hormonal balance. I think men are like 35% stronger after they've been up 5 hours.
  • isa75
    isa75 Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    Done with stage 1.

I was going to keep going with some extra WOs until I leave on vacation next week, but then I tumbled in my garden yesterday and landed on my shoulder. So revised plan is to quit while I am ahead and heal, heal, heal (nothing broken, but gosh I'm sore).

Stats:
    GW: 135
    SW: 172
    CW: 167 lbs
    I think I lost 2 inches in the belly, and the calipers show 2% less BF, but I am not sure how accurate those things are (or at least my technique).

Stage 1 NROL4W
    start > end

Squats: BW > 85lbs
    Step ups: BW > 60lbs (30/hand)
    Seated row: 20 > 70lbs
    Push ups: knees > to 45 incline > 15 per rep at 25-30 degrees or so
    Jack knifes: yes, I do about 15-20 per rep

Deadlift: 20lbs > 60 lbs (I do a modification, but am hoping to switch it out to the oly bar soon)
    DB shoulder press: 5 > 17.5 lbs per hand
    Wide grip lat pull down: 30 > 70lbs
    Lunges: BW > 50lbs (25/hand)
    Swiss ball crunch: yes

My gains with the Bs were less than with the As, not sure why. Overall I feel much stronger, thighs are starting to look pretty good and my friends and b-friend said I have some definition in my arms. I realize I could probably watch the diet better and kick up the cardio. I have started Insanity to help with cardio, I plan to keep that up until I leave.
  • isa75
    Options

Yeah, the lifting in the evenings is something about hormonal balance. I think men are like 35% stronger after they've been up 5 hours.

Huh, didn't know about the morning vs. evening thing. Interesting. I will stick to mornings though, or it just won't get done.
  • TheFunBun
    Options

Huh, didn't know about the morning vs. evening thing. Interesting. I will stick to mornings though, or it just won't get done.

I honestly doubt it affects us as much since it was mostly testosterone levels that were increased. I think. Long time, no recollection. ;)
  • Bluemountain22
    Bluemountain22 Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    Done with stage 1.

I was going to keep going with some extra WOs until I leave on vacation next week, but then I tumbled in my garden yesterday and landed on my shoulder. So revised plan is to quit while I am ahead and heal, heal, heal (nothing broken, but gosh I'm sore).

Stats:
    I think I lost 2 inches in the belly, and the calipers show 2% less BF, but I am not sure how accurate those things are (or at least my technique).

Stage 1 NROL4W
    start > end

Deadlift: 20lbs > 60 lbs (I do a modification, but am hoping to switch it out to the oly bar soon)

My gains with the Bs were less than with the As, not sure why. Overall I feel much stronger, thighs are starting to look pretty good and my friends and b-friend said I have some definition in my arms. I realize I could probably watch the diet better and kick up the cardio. I have started Insanity to help with cardio, I plan to keep that up until I leave.

Great progress! Hope your shoulder heals nicely while you're away!

Did 3b yesterday- I was the only girl in the gym again with like 8 guys all talking more than lifting weights! I hadto do the stage out of order because the Olympic bar was in such demand in the gym.
  • Pookylou
    Options
    Done with stage 1.

Stats:

Stage 1 NROL4W
    start > end

Fantastic! You've done really well, hope you feel better and get back at it soon. Oh and have a lovely holiday!
  • hypallage
    Options
    Okay, here are my stats for Stage 1:
    GW: 145
    SW: 165
    CW: 165 lbs
    Measurements: (inches change)
    Bust: 0
    Waist: -1"
    Abdomen: -2"
    Hips: -1
    Bicep: 0
    Thigh: 0
    Calf: 0

WEIGHTS
    start > end

Squats: 44 > 128lbs
    Push ups: 45 degree > to 30 incline
    Bent over row: 2 x 17.5 > 75lbs
    Step ups: 2 x 17.5 (low step) > 46lbs (I have a bad knee & step-ups aren't great. On a high step just touching with good leg, about an inch off with bad
    Jack knifes: yes - from very wobbly to less wobbly!!

Deadlift: 58.5lbs > 133lbs
    Shoulder press (with EZcurl bar): 13 > 55lbs
    Pullover: 17.5 > 42lbs
    Lunges: BW > 2 x 17.5 (again, not great with lunges due to my knee)

I workout at home hence the substitution of bent over row & pullover....
  • isa75
    Options
    Okay, here are my stats for Stage 1:
    GW: 145
    SW: 165
    CW: 165 lbs
    Measurements: (inches change)
    Bust: 0
    Waist: -1"
    Abdomen: -2"
    Hips: -1
    Bicep: 0
    Thigh: 0
    Calf: 0

WEIGHTS
    start > end

Squats: 44 > 128lbs
    Push ups: 45 degree > to 30 incline
    Bent over row: 2 x 17.5 > 75lbs
    Step ups: 2 x 17.5 (low step) > 46lbs (I have a bad knee & step-ups aren't great. On a high step just touching with good leg, about an inch off with bad
    Jack knifes: yes - from very wobbly to less wobbly!!

Deadlift: 58.5lbs > 133lbs
    Shoulder press (with EZcurl bar): 13 > 55lbs
    Pullover: 17.5 > 42lbs
    Lunges: BW > 2 x 17.5 (again, not great with lunges due to my knee)

I workout at home hence the substitution of bent over row & pullover....

Excellent work and gains!
  • isa75
    Options
    Thanks guys!

fattybumbum20:
    Part of the reason I looked for a deadlift modification is it would mean waiting around way to long to use the oly bar. Very rarely is there not a wait, and then half the time some idiot leaves it racked very heavy. Annoying.

I have noticed more and more women showing up to use this part of the gym, when I started it was me and one other lady, now it is me and at least four other ladies. Maybe when the other ladies see you in there they will get some of your courage?
  • Nadiataha
    Nadiataha Posts: 16 Member
    Options

Wow, I'm right there with you, though I'm doing my first AMRAP workout tonight. But other than the last item, your list of things you learned mirrored mine exactly! It's awesome that you made such progress, too.
  • hypallage
    Options

Wow, I'm right there with you, though I'm doing my first AMRAP workout tonight. But other than the last item, your list of things you learned mirrored mine exactly! It's awesome that you made such progress, too.

Thank you - I didn't do the AMRAP workouts, wanted to get onto stage 2....
    Kind of wish I had now!!
  • Pookylou
    Options
    4A today, I don't enjoy it as much as B, but my squats are improving as are my set ups, kinda stuck on the other bits at the mo. the 12 reps is too much for me to progress at the mo. There was another girl in the free weights section today!! She mostly stuck to Barbie weights and did a billion reps but nice to see another lady in there at all!
  • cushygal
    cushygal Posts: 586 Member
    Options
    Question on Stage 1 as I think I may have been doing things a little incorrectly - so far I have done A, 4 times and B, 3 times - and after I have completed my 2 sets I then go back and do as many reps as I can - is this correct or should there be a time when the AMRAP comes into play?

Thanks
    CLaudette
  • Pookylou
    Options
    The special AMRAP work out comes at the very end (after doing each workout 8 times), so do you do your prescribed sets (2aets 15 reps for example) and then do AMRAPs every session?
  • cushygal
    cushygal Posts: 586 Member
    Options
    The special AMRAP work out comes at the very end (after doing each workout 8 times), so do you do your prescribed sets (2aets 15 reps for example) and then do AMRAPs every session?

Yes - I was doing them after my required sets. So basically I was doing 3 sets of everything, just more reps on the third set.
  • TheFunBun
    Options
    Yeah, no, amraps are ONLY after you've completed Stage 1 and stage 1 only.
    It's just to test your strength after and show you how far you've come.
  • Pookylou
    Options

Yes - I was doing them after my required sets. So basically I was doing 3 sets of everything, just more reps on the third set.

Oh. You'll be like ninja strong! I sometimes do a third set if I feel I can move up. But I don't do a billion extra reps!